• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi Wars : Smash League - Now Open!

LeeHarris

Smash Lord

Now Open!
http://www.wifiwars.com/leagues

Some of you may remember me posting a thread a while back about something I was starting called Smash League. I ended up joining with M3D and Scav to form Wifi Wars, a Nintendo competitive gaming hub with leagues for several games. We have put together an amazing service that the Smash community is going to love.

What is Smash League/WiFi Wars?

Wifi Wars-
WiFi Wars is a competitive Nintendo gaming hub dedicated to providing players with quality services. WW's founders, Jason, Matt, and Lee, all play a key role in the Wifi Wars community. Jason, aka M3D, is a founder of MLG's Smash division and leader of the Smash Back Room on the popular SmashBoards. Matt, aka Scav, is an experienced tournament organizer and administrator of SmashBoards. Lee is an experienced developer and competitive gamer. WW also has an extensive staff of other experiences writers, developers, and gamers.

Smash League-

Did you ever want to be a part of the Smash competitive scene but didn't know where to start? Did you play in tournaments but yearned for something in between events? Was it too far to travel to large tournaments? Utilizing Super Smash Bros. Brawl's WiFi service we can now play others over the internet. The Wifi service, however, was not built for competitive gaming. Smash League is the solution to all these problems. Through the unique ranking system and the match making service we have provided a way for Smash players to compete from all around the country.

What does Wifi Wars offer that is unique?
Several things, actually.

First and most important is our leagues. This isn't just a ranking system for casual matches (although we will have that as well). It is a comprehensive and detailed league that has many options for the several types of Smash players. Our upcoming Circuits offer scheduled matches for the most hardcore player while our regular open Leagues allow you to play your matches at any time against anyone you choose.

At the end of each season, the top players in each division will be invited to the playoffs. The winners will walk away with not only the ultimate bragging rights, but awesome prizes as well. This really separates us from our competition.

In order to maintain quality we have a professional staff that monitors all aspects of the site. Breaking the rules is not tolerated and will be dealt with accordingly. We wish to provide competitive gamers with the best service possible, and cheating, hacking, etc brings down the overall experience.

Our site is not just a competitive hub with several leagues, but an information hub as well. We have a talented team of writers, including Scav, Jason, Rob (wobbles), and more. Our talented writers are constantly producing quality articles and podcasts for the Wifi Wars community.

Feel free to ask any questions and either I or one of the other staff members will answer it ASAP. You can also come hang out on our forums at wifiwars.com/forums or join our IRC channel at wifiwars.com/forums/vbjirc/vbjirc.php or by entering #wifiwars on irc.gamesurge.net.

We are hiring League referees and moderators at the moment. If you are interested, please visit our site and use the contact form. In the category, select staff application.

Thanks!

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
A question I've been having for a while is when does the first league start? Will it cater to those who have to wait for the American release? Basically, how is the schedule laid out for leagues, circuits, and the like?

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Oops, probably should have put that in ;)

Smash League will launch on the American release date. The scheduled matches won't start for at least a week, but players will be able to start playing in the open leagues immediately.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
No. Players can only enter a league once. Entering twice opens up possibilities for cheating.

As for the leagues themselves, we'll be dividing up leagues by region, so players in Florida don't have to try to play ranked matches with someone in Alaska or Argentina. Of course you can always play someone from another part of the country, but we don't want to force you to play laggy ranked matches. We will also be opening up Aussie and European divisions once the game launches in those areas.

Hope you guys all enjoy this. We've put a lot of work into it already and we've got a lot more stuff on the way.

The Crushinator

Smash Rookie
I love this setup you guys have created. This could be the making of something huge in the community and competitive scene. Being able to compete with the best players in your region without leaving your home will dramatically increase the competition of Brawl. I really hope this site takes off when Brawl launches in the US!

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I already have an account all I need to do is join a league (this would be an innitial join because I do not have my Wii yet)

Trexxen

Smash Cadet
I'm in! This looks like a great idea. (And heck, it got me to stop lurking here ^.~)

Question - will there ever be clan representation in the league? Like, say, scheduled matches between members of two clans?

~Trexxen

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ I think that you'll need to have a digital camera or something and take a picture of [however] wins, like with several other of these new tournaments. But I'm sure having a "spectator" wouldn't hurt. ;)

Also, I'm looking forward to this. :)

pmellyn

Smash Rookie
Once you have an account on WifiWars you should just be able to join the league without having to make a 2nd account.

I am signed up and ready to Brawl!!

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
This is a perfect solution for someone wanting to get in on the tournament scene and lacked the ability to travel on a regular basis. And I'm someone like that! Excellent idea. I'm registered and my name has been reserved for the leagues.

Can't wait to see you guys online!

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
i dont know why, but i appear online 2 times... mean.... in the "online members" my name appears twice...
wassup with that? :S and when i log out... there is still another " me " in the online people

:S

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I want to enter but unfortantly I doubt my satelite internet will let me :(

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
I reserved a spot (BAM). Thanks Lee for organizing this, greatly appreciated. I've been looking forward to this for a while. I hope to see you all on.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
i dont know why, but i appear online 2 times... mean.... in the "online members" my name appears twice...
wassup with that? :S and when i log out... there is still another " me " in the online people

:S
That happens because of the integration between the forums and main site. It's nothing to worry about ;)

Users do not need to sign up for a new Wifi Wars account. Your primary account is able to sign up to as many leagues as you wish. In fact, we strongly discourage users from signing up with more than one account, as this can be interpreted as cheating.

The "Name" should correspond with the name you use on the Wifi Connection.

Also, if anyone wants to play me in Mariokart, I'm game :p

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
That happens because of the integration between the forums and main site. It's nothing to worry about ;)

Users do not need to sign up for a new Wifi Wars account. Your primary account is able to sign up to as many leagues as you wish. In fact, we strongly discourage users from signing up with more than one account, as this can be interpreted as cheating.

ah ok then thanks!! :D

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Will be fun :).

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman

I totally would, but I'm still fumbling around to set up the Nintendo WiFi USB connector in my dorm. There's no wireless signal on this side of the campus (the crappy side) and I continue to get the same error over and over again.

And the names don't have to be exact, right? I don't know how many characters you can have in a name in Brawl; the four in melee wasn't long enough so I had to abbreviate.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Yojimbo: no, the names don't have to be exact. It is just a general name you'd want to use in the community.

I'll be writing a guide soon for people to get the best connection over the Wifi Service and what to do to reduce lag as much as possible.

Mazor

Smash Cadet
LeeHarris could you answer my question about wheter europeans will be allowed or not?

Icephoenix231

Smash Cadet
Man, Wifiwars really has SO much taken care of....head over to their forums and check it out..there's a bunch of stuff there on char reviews, lag reduction, even a fanfic section O.o

Lemmie know when you guys post a Lag reduction guide :) I live in the dorms, and already have enough problem just CONNECTING to the net :p

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Say me and my brother want to register, and both share the same Brawl Friend Code #, will there be any issues with that?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
"Congratulations! You have successfully registered Firestorm."

Good. Some monkey stole Firestorm as their username already >=( Let's see how Pokemon goes when the circuit starts this weekend.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
I'm already signed up as "Vadorojo"!

Thanks for putting this service together!

I'm also looking forward to the "best connection" guide you mentioned. Lag ftl!

TheLetterJ

Smash Cadet
If you signed up, does that mean my name is already reserved or do i have to do something special? Also do i have do anything special to sign up for the leagues?

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Yeah the leagues are a great thing for us all! The Mario Kart League is already up, to anyone who cares.

Major props to every who help make this stuff!

Top Bottom