• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why y'all aren't getting much better

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
@Nixxxon, games are about reaching an objective, fighting games in particular are nothing more but competitive. It's dumb to not encourage people to be competitive otherwise it'd just be boring... Humans are naturally competitive and ego driven. The only problem when it comes to being competitive is when people take it too seriously, then that's when they just become douchebags. You do see that a lot around here.

I actually don't even care if I get better anymore. I gave up on becoming #1 of the world a while ago, I just don't have the talent :p
If I improve, I improve. It's fun to actually see improvement, but if I don't, I can still play smash.

But yeah, some will reach their limits, and after that, imho, there's nothing you can do. You might improve by 0.0001% a month, but you won't notice it. There will always others improving more/faster/better than you.
But hey.. That's life. 'Not improving' doesn't mean 'not enjoying' ^^
What he said... people will always be at different levels, no matter the span of time. Just the way life is.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol, I actually have the opposite opinion of NixxxoN. Boy, is this going to shock him:

This community doesn't play gay enough.

ballin4life

Smash Hero

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
I hate sirlin and the play to win attitude. I played online because it was fun, and my housemates refused to play me because I destroyed them constantly. Is it really so wrong to play but not really care that much about getting better?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Is it really so wrong to play but not really care that much about getting better?
Erm, no? Nobody's forcing you to care about improving.

@Nixxxon's silly future reply - Yes, I know you feel pressured to care about winning because you think the rest of Europe is super-competitive, but seriously, nobody is going to think anything is wrong with you if you just play for fun.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I hate sirlin and the play to win attitude. I played online because it was fun, and my housemates refused to play me because I destroyed them constantly. Is it really so wrong to play but not really care that much about getting better?
Addressed here:

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-2-mailbag.html

(do a control-f for "girlfriend" and then read the rest from there).

And NO ONE said that it is wrong to play for fun. It's the play for fun people that say it's wrong to play competitively (which IS FUN FOR COMPETITIVE PLAYERS).

Olikus

Smash Champion
Competitive or not. If you dont think the game is funny you wouldn't be playing it. So say that people who play competitively don't have fun doesn't make much sense. Fun is subjective, and regardless of your intentions of improving or not you still play for fun.

Smash 64 is FUN!!!

NixxxoN

Smash Master
@Nixxxon's silly future reply - Yes, I know you feel pressured to care about winning because you think the rest of Europe is super-competitive, but seriously, nobody is going to think anything is wrong with you if you just play for fun.
Maybe the silly thing is to make those statements without knowing whats going on - I dont feel any pressure, and no... the rest of europe is not super-competitive, only a few

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Competitive or not. If you dont think the game is funny you wouldn't be playing it. So say that people who play competitively don't have fun doesn't make much sense. Fun is subjective, and regardless of your intentions of improving or not you still play for fun.

Smash 64 is FUN!!!
**** YEAH!!! :awesome:

L1nk®

Smash Rookie
That's a great concept. Indeed most of the players only focus on the victory, even if they don't really know how to get there. Focusing on the technical improvement seems to be the best way to get there!

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Yup, if you practice tech skill 30 minutes a day 7 days a week you'll get hella good in like...6 months-ish.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
LOLz!!!
This is going nowhere, of course that if you practice whatever you practice, you're gonna get better at it...
That's the principle for everything.

L1nk®

Smash Rookie
I guess the mental intention of improve, trying new things instead of just winning is the differential point...

And of course, have good oponents to play against... you'll never get better playing with your n00b friends that you can defeat in a blink.

Knowing all of your char's moves and tricks is important too. I guess SSB is one of the most complex Nintendo games when talking about variety of moves and combos.

tacos

Smash Journeyman
If I try to win, chances are I will lose..... but if I start having fun (laugh at my mistakes) I start winning.
competitive<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<FUN!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yup, if you practice tech skill 30 minutes a day 7 days a week you'll get hella good in like...6 months-ish.
Pretty sure that's not the most efficient way of doing things. Techskill practice is important, but if you really wanna get good, you need more than that... I imagine a regimen of some hours spent on different aspects of the game each day (I know a couple of fun spacing drills, for example) and a bunch of matches daily (not "fun" ones- ones in which you're trying to learn ****) would be the most productive. It's like any sport, really. Personally, that approach would bore me to tears, which is why I halfheartedly "work" on a couple of things when I feel really motivated, and then just play random matches for the rest of my playing time. I'm not a motivated guy.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
So this example you give is for people who dont really play at the maximum %, because otherwise they would play the most intense posslbe, using all the tricks they have in the bag if needed.
Also I forgot camping in the list.

To give a melee example, mango (jiggs) vs hbox (jiggs) ---> Yawn.
If that was a tournament match, it is because winning a tournament is very important. Are you saying you'd give up a bunch of money over some hypocritical social/moral problems?

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
Addressed here:

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-2-mailbag.html

(do a control-f for "girlfriend" and then read the rest from there).

And NO ONE said that it is wrong to play for fun. It's the play for fun people that say it's wrong to play competitively (which IS FUN FOR COMPETITIVE PLAYERS).
Playing competitively and playing to win are two completely different things in my book. "Playing to win" means people who think it's fun to lasercamp vs luigi, wait by the ledge for the whole game as pikachu or sit on the left side of hyrule utilting all day as kirby. Why not? It's effective, right? Maybe, but it certainly isn't fun.
Playing competitively to me means trying to win, but not being a penis about it.

Sirlin can eat a chode.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
If that was a tournament match, it is because winning a tournament is very important. Are you saying you'd give up a bunch of money over some hypocritical social/moral problems?
I know its a tourney match, my point is that 100% competitive attitude brings bull like that. Since online 64 community has no money tourneys, people should not have that much of a competitive attitude.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
There's nothing wrong with a competitive attitude at all, nor is there anything wrong with playing purely for fun, but people are entitled to do what they want, so stop saying 'people should' or 'people shouldn't'.

Some people find playing competitively fun, so if you're telling them not to do that you're telling them not to have fun. Let people do what they want and stop trying to force others to play less competitively.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Actually I think the reason I'm not getting any better is because I use a keyboard.

So lol.

That said, you're definitely right about the longer and more interesting matches. Every so often, even against people decidedly better than me, I'll just try and hit dair over and over (techchasing and whatnot) until one of us dies. And yes--now that you mention it--that has helped improve my dair game.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
There's nothing wrong with a competitive attitude at all, nor is there anything wrong with playing purely for fun, but people are entitled to do what they want, so stop saying 'people should' or 'people shouldn't'.

Some people find playing competitively fun, so if you're telling them not to do that you're telling them not to have fun. Let people do what they want and stop trying to force others to play less competitively.
Some people find killing people fun - the serial killers. Since they have fun, let them do what they want and stop trying to force them to stop having fun.

No i'm not comparing both scenarios lol, but you get what I mean. The "let people do what they want" is such an easy argument to use...

The Star King

Smash Hero
It's an easy argument to use because it's a good one.

Serial killers harm other people. Competitive Smash64 players harm nobody lol. So let them have fun.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Some people find killing people fun - the serial killers. Since they have fun, let them do what they want and stop trying to force them to stop having fun.

No i'm not comparing both scenarios lol, but you get what I mean. The "let people do what they want" is such an easy argument to use...
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
i cried in laughter when i read that.
nixxon, you just made my day

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
It's an easy argument to use because it's a good one.

Serial killers harm other people. Competitive Smash64 players harm nobody lol. So let them have fun.
I somewhat disagree, serious competitive attitudes do turn a handful of people into douchebags imo. I see this constantly on multiple communities, not just smash. You'll always get those competitive douchebags who bag on people who don't reach their standards in skill.

I'm not fully getting what Nixxxon is trying to say anymore though. Is he saying all competitive play is just bad, or is he just against the douchiness of some serious competitors?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I somewhat disagree, serious competitive attitudes do turn a handful of people into douchebags imo. I see this constantly on multiple communities, not just smash. You'll always get those competitive douchebags who bag on people who don't reach their standards in skill.

I'm not fully getting what Nixxxon is trying to say anymore though. Is he saying all competitive play is just bad, or is he just against the douchiness of some serious competitors?
Yes its more or less like this, and a bit of both of the last paragraph. Too much competitive community creates a hostile environment for newbies / low level players and also for those who dont take it so much seriously and they just wanna have fun. And since there are no tournies, i guess this amont of competitive attitude has only one reason for existing: showing off against lower level players. Maybe im wrong but i dont get why some people have more fun by playing fully competitive rather than "less competitive and messing around" attitude.

dandan

Smash Lord
i agree with you that an hostile environment for low level players is bad and really annoying.
i just do not get why you think the euro chat is like that.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
i agree with you that an hostile environment for low level players is bad and really annoying.
i just do not get why you think the euro chat is like that.
We've never been aggressive to new players. In fact we always took them in and helped them out in any way we could. Some of them became good at the game really damn quickly, and they enjoy it.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
The euro chat isnt harsh to newbies, maybe is more like "hey welcome, we will help you gotta learn fast and become very good, we dont want you to fail miserably. We only want competitive people, who want to be successful, cuz we are so great"

dandan

Smash Lord
ok, it is really clear to me now that you are out of touch with the euro group.
not going to talk to you about that anymore, waste of time.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
ok, it is really clear to me now that you are out of touch with the euro group.
not going to talk to you about that anymore, waste of time.
This has nothing to do with it. If you are in a certain community, that means you cant criticise it? Everyone is entitled to their opinion

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
DanDan being the bigger man.

I was about to write a wall of text about why you are wrong about the euro-chat, but I figured I'd just be wasting my time on you.

Every 'newb' in the euro-chat would agree with me that the environment you're constantly portraying is just plain rubbish.

They'd take the time to post just how wrong you are..
That is, if they had at least known who you are.

Edit: nice quote Squall xD

NixxxoN

Smash Master
If so, im glad this is true then. All i want is the euro group to be a cool place or like the first times

Olikus

Smash Champion
If so, im glad this is true then. All i want is the euro group to be a cool place or like the first times
Yeah you should check it out again. There are no talk about forcing everyone to get better. Its more like the social thread here. Frankly its not that much smashtalk in the chat at all. More bear, teen and maddy trolling from time to time.

Top Bottom