• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why y'all aren't getting much better

Battlecow

Play to Win
Daniel Boone went hunting and brought back four skins.

Tiger Woods sometimes plays for skins.

Evolutionarily, scales existed before skins.

Am I right?
Spot on, brother. Leave those Europeans to their... erm...

Jimmy went out to find a plot of land on which to build a house. He found one on a windswept moor and said "You're an airy tract."

Infections.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
You won't be able to run every single game on dolphin at a consistent full speed, no matter how good your computer is. The emulator is not perfectly utilized and many games will have graphics or lag issues :(
AFAIK they are constantly improving Dolphin, and i heard people who have hax computers (very very high performance) can already play well at some Gamecube games, online.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
AFAIK they are constantly improving Dolphin, and i heard people who have hax computers (very very high performance) can already play well at some Gamecube games, online.
We tried Melee online and it actually works. But there seems to be a lot of random elements that cause desynching. If there was a way to figure out what and why, and a way to have less desynching it'd be amazing.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think its only matter of time... at least i hope so ;P

Maddy told me that some people with awesome computers could play mario kart double dash perfectly. Sadly I cant, it suppose my graphics card seems to be not good enough, because you need to play online without dual core... Omg i'd love to play it online with other people... I love this game.

Blackstreet Boy

Smash Rookie
I first need a Controller for playing online matches and then I'm sure I'll get much better.
I can't hop and Samus is my main.

The Star King

Smash Hero
From what I heard Brawl has probably the most drama. Melee has some, 64 used to have a lot but I think there's been less lately.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
brawl has the most offline drama (LOL MK)
smash 64 has the most forum drama (LOL TROLLING)
Everyone just acts like a funny a** on the melee forums (LOL Insane Carzy Guy)

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I actually think Brawl has way more drama online than offline lol.

People ***** way more about MK on the forums than they'd do irl. And there's so many annoying theorycrafters who spark all sorts of silly debates on things they don't know ANYTHING about because they don't have true offline tournament experiences to back up their statements. They still have a lot of influence because of their oh so long posts and nice grammar.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah lol

Okay, so I take a break of 5 months from Smash, and I come back and I see all these things like Stage Builder and characters like "dark samus" ...

WHAT THE ***IN HELL IS GOING ON ?!

Also OMGWTFBBQ BROOM.
^I like how you posted this thread, another post asking about the new server, then left again for a couple of months.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Brawl online = trollfest (pretty much almost like smash 64 online) just check out AiB's free play chatroom

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^^^
A person behind a computer screen is half the age of the same people off the computer, true fact.

B Link

Smash Lord
Is this the new social thread? lol

Haven't posted once here. I think there should be more TOURNEYS so people can get better >_> more MATTS! hosted tourneys to be specific. And they should be p2p only.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Is this the new social thread? lol

Haven't posted once here. I think there should be more TOURNEYS so people can get better >_> more MATTS! hosted tourneys to be specific. And they should be p2p only.
MATTS! said he won't host a tourney for a while because so many people don't even bother to play, like the last tournament me and snake where the only ppl left in almost all the brackets.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
take it from me, starting online tourneys during the winter is dumb.

some people don't even get stuff done during the summer.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
MATTS! said he won't host a tourney for a while because so many people don't even bother to play, like the last tournament me and snake where the only ppl left in almost all the brackets.
This mostly happened because MATTS! freaks out and DQs people for no reason, and *****es at me, when i wont play because the person i have to play cant get out of 48fps....

But Kuzi has the best answer. People dont wanna keep doing their brackets.

Funny thing is people blame the 1 post players, but tourneys always end up stuck at semi-finals or higher...meaning its mostly known players giving up.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Keep them small till they pick up

8 people

Also when is the Smash 64 Competitive Events forum gonna be on the f=11 front page? Should we coup till admins do something about it?

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Keep them small till they pick up

8 people

Also when is the Smash 64 Competitive Events forum gonna be on the f=11 front page? Should we coup till admins do something about it?
I agree 8 person tourneys to start. and yes we shall coup.

D

Deleted member

the biggest problem with online 64 tourneys is that there is, and probably will never be any prestige/ incentive.

if the tourney hoster offered money like 10 dollars 1st place (and maybe excluded top tier opponents like superboom), i guarantee that people would be down to finish their matches quick

as for "why y'all aren't getting much better", who knows? smash 64's learning curve, while not as retardedly easy as other games such as mvc3 is still pretty simple. Why people still suck after many years is a good question.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
yes if you told everyone they could win money people would be more willing to do things...thats pretty simple

i still thought people enjoyed playing smash64...lol silly me?

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
i believe WOTG stated this before earlier in the thread but ima say it again, most ppl dont get any better because they just dont have the enough talent for the game. Some ppl have played for years and are still C tier level whereas others have picked it up in 6 months and are B tier level. some ppl just have natural talent for smash.

B Link

Smash Lord
I don't really think there is that much incentive needed to finish tourneys. There is definitely enough interest in here to get at the very least, 'small' tourneys going.

I think that if a tourney results page was put somewhere noticeable (e.g. stickied on general discussion, where people actually have the patience to click >_>) and showed exactly who was winning tournaments and who was placing where, there would be more interest in it and more 'prestige.' The current situation is a mess of random tourneys happening who knows when and that hardly ever finishes, and if they actually do, the results are never publicized well enough.

I think we should combine all tourney results into one thread. There would also be a ranking based on how many tourneys a person won.

FOR EXAMPLE

Most Tournament Wins (2009)
1. -
2. -
3. -

Most Tournament Wins (2010)
1. JaimeHR (5)
2. Superboomfan (4)
3. A$ (4)

Most Tournament Wins (2011)
1. -
2. -
3. -

(I just came up with those numbers lol since I've seen those names as the winners of a lot of previous ones)

One question that arises from all of this discussion is: "Is it worth getting 'much' better at -online- ssb64?"

My only opinion on that question is that I'm tired of seeing malva, boom and others so far at the top despite there being in my opinion much more ambiguity among the top players than most people think there is.

There needs to be more clarity as to who the top players are and it should be results based for the most part. It's the lack of clarity that results in the lack of interest and the large amount of egoism.

Agree or disagree?

The Star King

Smash Hero
There needs to be more clarity as to who the top players are and it should be results based for the most part. It's the lack of clarity that results in the lack of interest and the large amount of egoism.

Agree or disagree?
I don't agree. It's perfectly clear who the top players are. I don't see why you expect this clarity to spark interest, anyways.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I think what he means are people these days are really just assuming whos better based off what others say, vs seeing consistent tourneys to prove whos whom

Olikus

Smash Champion
I think what he means are people these days are really just assuming whos better based off what others say, vs seeing consistent tourneys to prove whos whom
^Yeah.

Genisis 2 is the answer. Hard to find excuses for losing there.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
after playing someone who will remain nameless today I realized the real reason y ppl dont get better. Its because they would rather camp at the end of the stage like a scared little girl and try to do bootleg gimp combos rather than learn how how to approach and learn real combos and advanced techniques.

Top Bottom