• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why L-cancelling shouldn't be in Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I agree with EdreesesPieces though. They're going to put a decent amount of lag on all the aerials to make the animations look smooth unless they add a game mechanic to shorten the duration. I think a system where aerials have half landing lag when they hit someone or their shield would be a good compromise. Tweak every character so that everyone has at least 1 go to aerial that's decently safe to whiff and I think the system would be great.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
I still find it silly when people compare L-cancelling to wavedashing. Wavedashing is actually an action, L-cancelling is simply a process of execution which is an extension of an action (an aerial attack).

The decision making for WHEN TO DO IT vs. WHEN NOT TO DO IT is entirely related to the aerial attack; sometimes you shouldn't fair, nair, dair, etc. sometimes you should.

A result of making that decision is you are required to make certain executions. This involves pressing the A button or moving the C-stick to initiate the aerial, as well as L-cancelling upon landing if the aerial hasn't completed its animation. Again, you don't make a decision to do either of these things, you are required to do them when you make the decision to do an aerial attack.

If this still doesn't make any sense, allow me to simplify a bit:

Decision = Aerial Attack
Execution Requirements = Initiating the attack with A [+ Control stick] or C-Stick, landing correctly with L-Cancelling if you touch the ground before the animation completes

Decision = Wavedashing
Execution Requirements = Jumping followed by a directional airdodge into the ground as soon as the character is airborne

Wavedashing can be related to aerial attacks since its an actual action of the character, L-Cancelling is a process of an action.

With its misclassification aside, you could still make an argument that L-cancelling is extraneous. Though this is certainly true in some respects, it does contribute some depth to the game by giving the opponent a stronger ability to mix up their opponent's aerial approaches with shield angling. It also balances the game a bit; slow and fast characters are both able to have similar landing lags since differences are cut in half. If L-Cancelling were removed, the game would favor the fast fast characters who already have lower landing lag. Likewise, if all landing lags were just cut in half or removed, techniques such as drill shining would become immensely more accessible and easier to perform; still favoring the fastest characters.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway because I would be extremely surprised if L-cancelling made it into this game. I would also be surprised is wavedashing made a return. All I really want is a faster paced game with combos and edgeguarding.

Amen. I'd love wave dashing and L-canceling to be in the next smash bros but looking at the gameplay footage Sakurai is going with the brawl engine. I pray that he optimizes the engine at least to make it fast pace. Kinda how like that brawl + mod was out to increase the speed of gameplay.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Amen. I'd love wave dashing and L-canceling to be in the next smash bros but looking at the gameplay footage Sakurai is going with the brawl engine. I pray that he optimizes the engine at least to make it fast pace. Kinda how like that brawl + mod was out to increase the speed of gameplay.
I honestly will not hold my breath for anything other than a "ok' game, with brawl what they were trying to do was cater to the new audience of gamers that the Wii brought in. Whether people want to admit it or not, Wii was a very casual system and they didn't want pros scaring people away. Not only this but they had to make the game easier to accommodate the new input choices of the WiiMote+nunchuck or Wiimote sideways. I hold only a little hope for smash 4 because the Wiimote has been phased out in favor of the WiiU being a more core console. With the WiiU pro controller on the scene we might get a more solid game ala 64, we definitely wont see Melee ever again because sakurai felt the game "created a distance between players". But could it be better than brawl? Absolutely!

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
How about instead of halving all landing lag OR just making a return to the Melee system, we do something different?

How about, say, L-cancelling returns, but there are times when you don't want to use it? Like if there's a small extra hitbox that appears only in the uncancelled after-attack landing lag animation or something, creating situations in which L-cancelling wouldn't always be the best option. Just throwing stuff out there.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
How about instead of halving all landing lag OR just making a return to the Melee system, we do something different?

How about, say, L-cancelling returns, but there are times when you don't want to use it? Like if there's a small extra hitbox that appears only in the uncancelled after-attack landing lag animation or something, creating situations in which L-cancelling wouldn't always be the best option. Just throwing stuff out there.
jigglypuff's Dair in 64 already does this lol. So yes it does have situational uses and can be useful.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
Yeah as a competitive Melee and Project M player it kills me inside hear advanced techniques L-Canceling and Wave dashing are not going to make it to the next game. But it the long run I'll just tough it out an re-adjust my strategy. Its hard for me to accept this change but as Fan of the series I'm willing to try something new.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Shielding should be removed, adds artificial barriers.
Dashing, running, jumping should be removed, adds artificial barriers.
Directional Influence should be removed, adds artificial barriers.

Etc, etc.

Your argument is terrible. More options = deeper game play mechanics. Removing skill barriers that require practice and dedication do nothing but water down game play. Last time I checked any true competitive player would think that's a bad thing.

The GERM

Smash Ace
if I had to choose between L-canceling and wavedashing, I'd choose wavedashing. I remember in brawl, a lot of aerials had a lot of landing animation and some had none. I would be pro no L-canceling if no aerials had landing lag, but if Smash 4 is going to be like brawl where almost all aerials have landing lag, bring on the L-canceling. So I guess I'm for no L-canceling, just have every single aerial not have landing lag :)

Sedda

Smash Champion
You guys are missing the point. I'm sure that the OP, and everyone who is against L-cancelling, with be ok with it if there was a trade-off. It doesn't matter if you have to adjust your timing depending on your opponent. The point is that there has to be an option in the heat of things where it must be better NOT to L-cancel at times.

If it's in the game and it ends up being necessary to do it ALL the time, then it's a bad mechanic. There must be a trade off.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You guys are missing the point. I'm sure that the OP, and everyone who is against L-cancelling, with be ok with it if there was a trade-off. It doesn't matter if you have to adjust your timing depending on your opponent. The point is that there has to be an option in the heat of things where it must be better NOT to L-cancel at times.

If it's in the game and it ends up being necessary to do it ALL the time, then it's a bad mechanic. There must be a trade off.
Not quite. If you define depth the way I do, giving the player multiple decsions that have both meaning and distinct outcomes, l cancelling does indeed add depth. It's true that you always want to time your cancel properly, but the depth added is based on WHEN to time your input not IF should or shouldn't. That is still your decision to make.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
Anyone arguing in favor of L-Canceling is either misunderstanding the question or does not understand value in game design.

L-Canceling has no value. Someone outlined a few edge cases where someone would not want to L-Cancel. If, out of 500 moves, only 3 or 4 of them should not always be L-canceled, then the mechanics of those moves should be altered such that the player is given an option to increase or decrease the amount of recovery time they have on landing. Forcing all players to either always L-cancel or play sub-optimally is an artificial dexterity hurdle. Why am I pressing buttons for the sake of pressing buttons? It's not like there's a risk in L-canceling. You try to do it; if you're successful, it happens. If you aren't, it doesn't. There's no risk vs reward.

It's stupid. High or low level play is irrelevant when it comes to design decisions at this particular level. Maintaining the status quo for the sake of it being the status quo is just ignorant.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care either way so long as aerial landing lag is cut down, but you do realize the same argument could be made against powershielding too? Just saying.
Powershielding is different because there's a risk/reward dynamic. Do I shield early and know I'll block, but also give my opponent a better situation? Or do I delay my shield in the hopes of powershielding and possibly get hit? With L-canceling, there is no such consideration; you must do it every time, period.

Ditto for the Shielding/Dashing/running/jumping/Directional Influence strawman; all of those involve decision making. Shield or run or dodge (or even tank the hit, in some cases)? Dash (faster, limited attack options) or walk (slower, all attack options)? DI one way or the other? These are all questions that frequently have nontrivial answers. Not so for L-canceling.

And, actually, even if you want to say that all of them add artificial difficultly, there's always Divekick.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The problem with Brawl is that instead of removing L-Cancelling and using landing lag that looks like L-Cancelled moves, they removed it and used lags that were not just the same but in many cases EVEN LONGER than most non l-cancelled moves in Melee

If almost everything is like 3-13 frames of landing lag then yeah we'll be fine

If everything is like 16-60 range then there's a problem

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Powershielding is different because there's a risk/reward dynamic. Do I shield early and know I'll block, but also give my opponent a better situation? Or do I delay my shield in the hopes of powershielding and possibly get hit? With L-canceling, there is no such consideration; you must do it every time, period.
As players become accustom to the game and their rate of success goes up, that risk factor heavily shrinks. It's a similar situation with guard impact in Soul Calibur II. The technique itself, when successful or not, needs to be better balanced in with the rest of the game.

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
L canceling adds so much depth and it punishes those who forget to do it thats what makes melee so deep as a fighting game. Like any fighting game there needs to be some sort of punishment for not knowing what to do. If L canceling doesn't come back fine but don't bash on it, cause in Melee's defense it adds so much to the game and makes it a real treat to get decent at.:dizzy:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Shielding should be removed, adds artificial barriers.
Dashing, running, jumping should be removed, adds artificial barriers.
Directional Influence should be removed, adds artificial barriers.

Etc, etc.

Your argument is terrible. More options = deeper game play mechanics. Removing skill barriers that require practice and dedication do nothing but water down game play. Last time I checked any true competitive player would think that's a bad thing.
Also wanted to point out that this logic is awful if you're trying to defend L cancelling. Dashing, running, jumping (or double jumping for that matter), and DI are all optional and modifiable in the way they must be executed. Whether you use your double jump or not depends on whether the situation asks for it or not, whether that's following up with another attack or recovering. It isn't OBLIGATORY to double jump every time you jump, and you're not punished or called technical if you jump or not. There's a trade off. If you jump in a bad situation and your opponent calls it, you're screwed.

This is not how L cancelling works at all. L cancelling isn't optional depending on the situation. It is the sad truth that every time you perform an aerial and are going to land, you have to L cancel or you'll get punished for the landing lag. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Also, for the VKRM that says that the depth lies with the timing of you knowing when to L cancel... No, it doesn't. That's just reaction time and techskill. I'm fine with that element of L cancelling, but the fact of the matter is that there's never a window of opportunity for players to determine whether you should L cancel or not. That is a bad mechanic.

Mr.C

Smash Master
It is the sad truth that every time you perform an aerial and are going to land, you have to L cancel or you'll get punished for the landing lag. EVERY SINGLE TIME.
It's the sad truth that every time you get knocked of the stage, hit, or thrown, you have to Directional Influence or you get punished. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Whoa, it's almost like a multitude of game-mechanics make for deeper game play. You could literally argue to remove ANY game mechanic but that doesn't mean you have to. Your argument is a logical fallacy. Removing L-Canceling is absolutely no different than removing anything else in the game.

Sedda

Smash Champion
You must've not read my post. hit, throw, and applying direction influence depend on what happens in the match. Should you throw left,right, up, or down? Idk. Depends on the situation. You should short hop or full jump? Idk, depends on the situation. Should I charge my smash attacks or just use them non-charged all the time? Idk, depends on the situation.

SHOULD I L CANCEL WHEN I PERFORM AN AERIAL? YES ALL THE TIME BECAUSE IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT SITUATION YOU SHORT HOP AERIAL ATTACK, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS L CANCEL.

It's an empty mechanic with no room for options.

Also, I don't want L cancelling removed. I want L cancelling to not always be the best option.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
It's the sad truth that every time you get knocked of the stage, hit, or thrown, you have to Directional Influence or you get punished. EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Not really. You could choose not to DI at all depending on the context.

Armada

Smash Lord
My opinion on the topic:

Dedication/Harder: Something that myself and many others that have played video games competitive thinks is a important thing. I do think that a game that means you need a lot of time to master the entire game is something we should be happy about, not be against. It's true that L-cancel does not require the same understanding as WD or just playing "correctly" in a neutral part of the game but it still add something to the game. It makes the game harder which means you have to spend more time learning the game. I tried to "perfect" Melee for 8 years and I still feel I was so far away.

I would like to see L-cancel in Smash 4 but I don't expect it to happen.

JOE!

Smash Hero

Whoa, it's almost like a multitude of game-mechanics make for deeper game play. You could literally argue to remove ANY game mechanic but that doesn't mean you have to. Your argument is a logical fallacy. Removing L-Canceling is absolutely no different than removing anything else in the game.
Difference being that L canceling could virtually be made automatic by a handful of ways (universal low landing lag, low lag if you hit a move, etc) and the 4/1000 situations where it mattered to be manual could theoretically be ironed out or match-up quirks. As for DI, not DIing is actually an option seeing as the attacker could predict you to DI only for you to throw them off by not doing so.

Edit @ Armada:

More difficulty is always good, but in this particular case the challenge isn't really that much. Past a certain point it becomes reflex anyways to the point it is rare that you really catastrophically mess up as you do it for nearly every aerial attack. For example, what if you had to rapidly tap shield in order to regenerate it after it's been damaged? It'd make it more difficult to play as you either have shield or not unless you regenerate it, but at the same time the effect can be done by it naturally recharging with time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
L canceling adds so much depth and it punishes those who forget to do it thats what makes melee so deep as a fighting game. Like any fighting game there needs to be some sort of punishment for not knowing what to do. If L canceling doesn't come back fine but don't bash on it, cause in Melee's defense it adds so much to the game and makes it a real treat to get decent at.:dizzy:
Last I checked, no fighting game requires you to press a certain button or do some action every time you do something as trivial as jumping. Fighting games already have punishment tools, they're called reversals, combos, etc. If you need terrible game design like L-Canceling to serve as a punishment tool, then I don't know what to think. Name me one game that would benefit from a mechanic like L-Canceling.

L-Canceling does not add any more depth than memorizing the name of the characters on the roster. L-Canceling is saying "Do this, or die.". You're not given any other option.

Why does this topic keep coming up? And why do I keep getting myself into it.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Difference being that L canceling could virtually be made automatic by a handful of ways (universal low landing lag, low lag if you hit a move, etc) and the 4/1000 situations where it mattered to be manual could theoretically be ironed out or match-up quirks. As for DI, not DIing is actually an option seeing as the attacker could predict you to DI only for you to throw them off by not doing so.
Anything could be virtually made automatic in any game. Different game mechanics that must be mastered equals more options, more options equals deeper game play. Not DI'ing is still choosing a Directional Influence within the games physics. You have three general choices: Left, Neutral, Right. A decision that must be made, which is exactly what Lcanceling is and your argument against it.

You must've not read my post. hit, throw, and applying direction influence depend on what happens in the match. Should you throw left,right, up, or down? Idk. Depends on the situation. You should short hop or full jump? Idk, depends on the situation. Should I charge my smash attacks or just use them non-charged all the time? Idk, depends on the situation.

SHOULD I L CANCEL WHEN I PERFORM AN AERIAL? YES ALL THE TIME BECAUSE IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT SITUATION YOU SHORT HOP AERIAL ATTACK, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS L CANCEL.

It's an empty mechanic with no room for options.

Also, I don't want L cancelling removed. I want L cancelling to not always be the best option.
I read your post, you just don't understand your fallacy. See, "hit, throw, and applying direction influence depend on what happens in the match." Lcanceling depends entirely on whether or not you want to aerial. If you want to aerial efficiently then you must first efficiently learn how to use Lcanceling. Every single game mechanic in every single game ever made could be argued whether there's actually a point of being in the game in the first place. That's a terrible outlook to have.

Not really. You could choose not to DI at all depending on the context.
Coincidentally, not DI'ing is STILL Directionally Influence within the games physics. Not going left or right is still choosing a direction, a decision that must be made.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that the only argument one can have in favor of inclusion of L-cancelling in the next Smash game is you think about the aesthetic ramifications of having fast aerials comparable to L-cancelled aerials by default. Smash 4 shouldn't and isn't going to be targeted at the competitive scene and will definitely have all animations be modeled in order to look good and smooth when people play it. Can you imagine if Link's dair had its L-cancelled endlag by default? That would look really strange. The non L-cancelled endlag looks much smoother and natural. That's the rationality that Nintendo is probably gonna have when deciding on the eventual frame data for those moves. And that's a smart move, since most people aren't going to care about the competitive scene, they just want to watch Link and Mario and all of the new characters beat up each other.

The argument for L-cancelling to me is that I certainly don't mind awkward looking animations (Think L-cancelled Bowser dair. Gross.) if it means faster gameplay, but most of the larger Smash audience will. And Nintendo will definitely NOT make a fast, competitive game by default. They're gonna make one that looks nice with attacks that are as laggy or fast as they should be in order to look as good as possible. Adding in L-cancelling will effectively create a fast and competitively viable scene within a game that I HIGHLY DOUBT will have one without its inclusion.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Aaalright. Here are the points I've come across that struck my attention. If your point isn't listed below, my answer is simply 'well duh, that's exactly why they removed it'.

-It's also always better to powershield instead of shielding
We advocate that L-cancelling should be 'automatic', and we do not advocate that powershielding would be 'automatic'. Have you ever wondered why ?
Making every shield into a lagless powershield would be a terrible thing. Making every aerial lagless does not just fasten the game, it also produces new combos and makes the game, from a subjective but valid perspective, better.
So the real debate is 'should we put technical barriers on things that make the game better ?'
And the answer to that is up to you. But Nintendo's answer is pretty clear to me, and I actually agree with them for once.

-More difficulty = more good
Okay. So let's say you have to press the jump button for exactly 5 frames to do a short hop. Less than that and you don't jump, more than that and you full hop. See, the game is much harder now. People will eventually get to a point when they are able to consistently short hop. But does it make the game better ?
It adds unpredictability due to players being lame, instead of adding it by adding more ways to outplay your opponent. That is a very negative way of viewing it, and the overall experience will be terrible. Things like this are the reason in many games have a very elitist community. League of Legends is a prime example of it : up to like 1600 elo, you are not outplaying anybody, they are just being more lame than you. And the community for this game is a complete disaster.
Nintendo is very aware of this game designing creed. Their philosophy aims at making their players feel good about themselves. And idk about you, but this is one of the reasons I play Smash over, say, Street Fighter.

-The opponent has a thing to say, by angling his shield in example.
That's actually a pretty good point.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I read your post, you just don't understand your fallacy. See, "hit, throw, and applying direction influence depend on what happens in the match." Lcanceling depends entirely on whether or not you want to aerial. If you want to aerial efficiently then you must first efficiently learn how to use Lcanceling. Every single game mechanic in every single game ever made could be argued whether there's actually a point of being in the game in the first place. That's a terrible outlook to have.
There is no fallacy in what I'm saying. You still don't get the concept that we're trying to get across. Yes L cancelling depends entirely if I want to landing lag... and that's it There are no more variables. L cancelling is the only mechanic that could be argued that there's no point in it being in the game, UNLESS choosing not to L cancel had more effects other that landing lag. For example, ssb64 Kirby has a knockback attack on her dair when not Z canceled. If every character had that, you could choose whether it's a better idea to L cancel or to let the other character get knocked back, say if you're nearby the ledge, which would cause your opponent to be knocked off the stage.

How can you still not get that? L cancelling is not optional in competitive play. "L cancelling depends entirely on whether or not you want to aerial" is not an option, because aerials are such a huge part of the metagame.
The real joy of the metagame is to be smarter than the other guy and to use/choose to use mechanics depending on the situation to outsmart your opponent. L cancelling doesn't leave room for players to have to think whether it's a good idea to L cancel or not, so it's bad for the metagame because it doesn't offer options for different situations.. It requires no thought and no second guesses. You must do it all the time.

Imagine if short hopping was ALWAYS a better option than full jump. Full jump would just be in the game simply because it's there, and short hopping would be something that players never had to doubt or second guess or consider a bad idea. It would just become muscle memory with the possibility of failure here and there. That would make the jump mechanics of the game flawed because there's no reason to do it in more ways than one.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Perfect shielding vs L-cancelling is still a horrible comparison.

Perfect shielding depends on you and your opponent's timing. You can't perfect shield everything because you don't have an instant reaction time.
A good example even if it doesn't happen often in game is if you're standing next to someone charging a smash attack, trying to perfect shielding that would be unreasonable as you can't react to the release, so you hold shield. To have someone get an automatic perfect shield while holding shield makes no sense, and I'd think that would be obvious.

L-cancelling depends on your own timing, and doesn't even have a fail window. People can angle their shield, which might throw you off, even though the time it takes to reach the ground is the same.
And that might add depth, if there was a fail window like with teching. You can't mess up someone's L-cancel when they can just spam z to bypass any attempts by you to mess it up.

DI vs L-cancelling is also a horrible comparison.
You can DI multiple ways, your DI depends on where you are on the stage, DI affects your opponent's follow ups. A lot of the time there isn't an ideal way to DI, unlike L-cancelling, where you always must do it. There's an option, that adds depth.
L-cancelling isn't an option, every time you don't press l when you land during an aerial you get punished with double lag.

L-cancelling adds no depth, it's the exact same as if all aerials had their landing lag halved.
That's pretty obvious to most of us.....

The only argument you can make for l-cancelling is to do with the affect on the audience who doesn't know of l-cancelling. If severe landing lag is required to make the game balanced at a casual level, then you could maybe justify l-cancelling.
However when the casual level is FFA with items on, I really doubt less lag would make the game unplayable.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Anything could be virtually made automatic in any game. Different game mechanics that must be mastered equals more options, more options equals deeper game play.
It can be, yes. But there then raises the issue of what you lose or gain from it being made automatic: would Mario be as good if you always ran and thus slid and messed up precise jumps constantly?

Not DI'ing is still choosing a Directional Influence within the games physics. You have three general choices: Left, Neutral, Right. A decision that must be made, which is exactly what Lcanceling is and your argument against it.
*Left, Right, Up, Down, NE, NW, SE, SW, Neutral(noDI).

The difference here is: what is the decision for Lcanceling? Why would you -not- do it out of the (26 * 5 aerials) 130 aerial attacks of Melee, how often do you really not Lcancel them as part of an actual strategy? The only one I've heard of is something with one of Zelda's. That is 1/130 attacks... where is the decision? There is argument with messing up Falco (dair) and IC's on shield, but then it just goes to like 6-11/130, still over 10-1.

Clearly all moves must require additional input to be faster, it'll only increase the depth and you should know how to do it if you want to attack, let alone dedicate time to a jump then attack.

Mr.C

Smash Master
It requires no thought and no second guesses. You must do it all the time.
And? Half of the **** in every competitive game requires no thought, these things are just simply the most efficient game mechanic. Hence, why it's called mechanical skill.

If someones argument for no Lcanceling is garbage like "ahhh, you don't need it!" that is irrelevant. You don't need anything in a game. That still doesn't take away the fact that mastering Lcanceling or techniques similar add a very deep, technical depth, and skill-gap towards game-play.

How can you still not get that? L cancelling is not optional in competitive play.
So you want to punish competitive players, why? Casuals will never have to worry about the ramifications of whether or not to Lcancel. And competitive players want game mechanics that require practice and dedication to use properly.

What you're basically saying is game play should be watered down so non-competitive players will be capable of playing a game at a higher-level due to a decrease in skill barrier, when they have no interest in playing competitively in the first place. Do you think these people really care about advanced mechanics? No. They just pick their favorite character and FFA with their friends. Advanced mechanics are put into games for advanced players.

Removing techniques does nothing but remove from the game. If you're trying to make a deep, thoughtful, skill intensive game, you sure as hell do not take away without adding anything in return. And adding auto-mated canceling is definitely not enlightening game play.

These small intricacies in competitive video games are the reason they're so competitive in the first place. When was the last time you seen someone proud or acknowledged for their tech-skill in Brawl? Hint: Never.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Jesus christ. It's I said that I WANT L CANCELLING. I just dont want to to be required all the time. If you want difficulty, the concept I propose is more difficult than just Lcancelling without thought. You actually have to, you know, THINK about whether it's a good idea to L cancel or not.

I'm not trying to punish anyone. L cancelling is easy. SHFFLing is easy. Even the worse players can do it because technical skill doesn't define who the best players are. Being smart in game is what defines who's best.

Technical skill doesn't add depth to competition, because at the foundation of competition is always the ability to outthink your opponent. Technical nonsense comes after that. I don't mind playing the most technical of games, but I don't want them to be technical for no reason. There is no purpose to L cancelling. If they gave it a purpose, I would be totally fine with it.
You've been on Smashboards for almost 10 years and you don't understand the fact that mindgames are what define the game? Maybe that's why I don't know who you are, even though I haven't been around for long. Having to press more buttons doesn't make the game deeper.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Technical skill doesn't add depth to competition
That's so utterly wrong it's ridiculous.

You've been on Smashboards for almost 10 years and you don't understand the fact that mindgames are what define the game?
Mind games do not define your success. Being a good player defines success. That requires mental and physical prowess.

You don't know who I am because you're a newcomer, that's why. I literally invented the moonwalking technique. In the golden age of Smash I was ranked #7 on the PTR in Texas when 3/10 of the players in Texas were top 20 in NA. I don't see how that's particularly relevant though.

And yes, pressing more buttons does make a game mechanically deeper, by absolute design. If Smash A requires 2 buttons to achieve something and Smash B requires 1 button to achieve the same exact action, Smash A is automatically a deeper game regarding technical prowess.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And? Half of the **** in every competitive game requires no thought, these things are just simply the most efficient game mechanic. Hence, why it's called mechanical skill.
Best joke of the day.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Sorry Mr.C this is what I got from you:

You don't know who I am because you're a newcomer, that's why. I literally invented the
trolling technique.​

Sedda

Smash Champion

Mind games do not define your success. Being a good player defines success. That requires mental and physical prowess.

You don't know who I am because you're a newcomer, that's why. I literally invented the moonwalking technique. In the golden age of Smash I was ranked #7 on the PTR in Texas when 3/10 of the players in Texas were top 20 in NA. I don't see how that's particularly relevant though.

And yes, pressing more buttons does make a game mechanically deeper, by absolute design. If Smash A requires 2 buttons to achieve something and Smash B requires 1 button to achieve the same exact action, Smash A is automatically a deeper game regarding technical prowess.
Yes, more buttons makes it more technical, but doesn't make the gameplay or competition any deeper. It's ok for a game to require physical prowess, but not by itself. Your hands can be trained to do anything, but I don't understand how you can't see that L cancelling, because it doesn't force you to think, aggravates the metagame. If a technical aspect of the game isn't backed up by a conscious decision to be or not be performed during a specific situation, then it's not a deep mechanic.

Why do you want to be mashing buttons for no reason? If you don't need to think about whether you should L cancel or not, it's actually an easier mechanic. As I said, you can teach your hands to do anything. L cancelling isn't hard, and that's the point. It doesn't offer you multiple possibilities.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Best joke of the day.
Was referring to required mechanical skill mastered by muscle memory. Which is 100% identical to Lcanceling. Get some reading comprehension.

Sorry Mr.C this is what I got from you:
You don't know who I am because you're a newcomer, that's why. I literally invented the trolling technique.​
Not trolling. Master troll, no longer.

Yes, more buttons makes it more technical, but doesn't make the gameplay or competition any deeper. It's ok for a game to require physical prowess, but not by itself. Your hands can be trained to do anything, but I don't understand how you can't see that L cancelling, because it doesn't force you to think, aggravates the metagame. If a technical aspect of the game isn't backed up by a conscious decision to be or not be performed during a specific situation, then it's not a deep mechanic.

Why do you want to be mashing buttons for no reason? If you don't need to think about whether you should L cancel or not, it's actually an easier mechanic. As I said, you can teach your hands to do anything. L cancelling isn't hard, and that's the point. It doesn't offer you multiple possibilities.
Just because something isn't very deep or doesn't add a myriad of potential options doesn't take away the fact it adds an aspect towards game play that requires practice to achieve efficiently. Definitely not an excuse to remove something, at the very least. Something that competitive players should be happy to have in their game, when done in a manageable fashion.

For example,
Game A, performing an aerial. Jump > A > cancel
Game B, performing an aerial. Jump > A
Game C, performing an aerial. Jump

All three are technical options that aren't particularly difficult to achieve and when done offer the same end result. A, uses three buttons. B, uses two buttons. C, uses one button.

Out of the three games which player will be more proud of his time allocated in practicing the game to achieve efficient technical skill? Obviously, A. In my opinion people should strive to perfect harder game-play mechanics instead of trying to get them watered down just because they're unnecessary. I mean, no wonder why the Smash competitive community never grows. Instead of fighting for a game that caters towards difficulty, you cater towards decisions that water-down game play.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
rofl
Technical difficulty for the sake of technical difficulty adds no depth.

If you had to press r every time an attack landed or it failed, the game would be more difficult, it wouldn't be deeper.

By your logic every attack should be 3-4 button presses just for the sake of it to make the game more difficult. (not even adding more attacks, just making every existing attack take more button presses)

You're not even fighting your opponent, a fighting game should be about outplaying your opponent, (if it isn't, you might as well be playing touhou and trying to get a high score or something, a game with no PvP interaction but ridiculous technical requirements) technical skill should give you more options, like with wavedashing, or jump-cancelled grabs, pivots, etc. L-cancelling isn't an option, that's what you don't understand, and will probably never understand because you refuse to.

If l-cancelling was an option, like with 64 Kirby, then it'd be a good mechanic.
However Melee L-cancelling is a horrible mechanic design wise.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Was referring to required mechanical skill mastered by muscle memory. Which is 100% identical to Lcanceling. Get some reading comprehension.
Not entirely, things you memorize in other games still have pros and cons to executing them as to where and when to apply. L cancel just has: ****ing do it or get smashed.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Except that muscle memory only means so much. As you said, mental prowess is important, but you're talking as if physical prowess is as demanding as any athelete's.

You are right that it takes more than mind games to win, but you're forgetting all the fundamentals such as spacing, footsies, zoning, etc., all of which require significant mental skill to be proficient at. ****, look at Tekken. That game isn't all that technical aside from dash canceling and iSW and iWS moves (and that can be taken care of with some practice), and fundamentals are absolutely important there to the point that you're likely to get killed if you have bad fundamentals. You can win without having to do iSW or anything else like that so long as you outplay the opponent in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom