• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Yoshi low tier?

bobson

Smash Lord
Really, now.

He's fast, he's powerful, he has a decent approach, an amazing projectile, a good recovery, a chaingrab on a nice chunk of the cast, a uair rivaling Snake's utilt for brokenness, a nice grab game, okay matchups against most of the top tier (even Metaknight!), nice priority (his shoes stop Samus' fully charged charge shot, what the hell is up with that), grab release shenanigans, he's good on the ground, good in the air (he's faster than friggin' Jigglypuff!), and he can summon super armor whenever he so chooses without largely interrupting his game.

His only real downfalls I can see are his lack of Metaknight dsmash-caliber killing moves (except for uair) and his shield. I also don't like his taunts much. So I ask you, Yoshi mains, what are his weaknesses? Why isn't Yoshi up there with the likes of Lucario and Diddy Kong?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
one good reason is he is moderately light, his moves don't have much nock back, so really your best chance at KO is with an arial, especially Uair and Fair. bringing up lucario, he has good knock back and is as strong as Mario around 80%. DDK, I have NO idea.

but also the SBR tier list was a beta version, it will still change, and hopefully yoshi gets moved up:)

Nic64

Smash Lord
I'd hardly call yoshi's projectile amazing, his safe kill moves are nothing special, and I'd disagree about his approach being all that great as well. not that he should be always approaching, I think the fact that he can actually shield grab some of the better spacers in the game is one of his redeeming traits.

as for diddy and lucario, diddy can do retardedly gay things with bananas and is a really fast character and lucario is a walling machine that gets way too powerful if you avoid your opponents best kill moves and DI correctly, both can actually combo which is rare in this game and have solid recovery. both of them have much more clear strengths than yoshi

Sukai

Smash Champion
Yoshi is low tier under the same context that Link is.
There is one major flaw they carry that ultimately decides their position, Link's is his recovery, but his forward tilt can kill, not many who can do that.
Yoshi has one major downside that is apparently easily exploited by high tier characters, either that or they just didn't like him.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yoshi is easily one of the worst characters in the game.

Terrible matchups.

Laughable recovery.

LOLgrabs, like they matter.

Eggs are cute, but subpar projectiles.

No priority.

Range is a joke.

Approximately 0 KO moves.

What's not low tier about that?

Airborne

Smash Lord
one good reason is he is moderately light, his moves don't have much nock back, so really your best chance at KO is with an arial, especially Uair and Fair. bringing up lucario, he has good knock back and is as strong as Mario around 80%. DDK, I have NO idea.

but also the SBR tier list was a beta version, it will still change, and hopefully yoshi gets moved up:)
yoshi is in the heavy category... >.>.....

Glick

Smash Lord
Hes recovery is decent in this game. People are catching on to the whole I can footstool you hahaha thing. I think hes a great character. And yeah wtf hes in the heavy category.

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
Whenever playing him people submit to the urge of sitting their with a wide grin on their face shouting "Brrrrrrrring Ha!"

Terrible tactical-wise

SOVAman

Smash Hero
one good reason is he is moderately light
What....???1!!!!?/??? light actually yoshi is on the heavier side

Yoshi has horrible matchups. Horrible.
true

Terrible matchups.

Laughable recovery.

No priority.

Range is a joke.

there u go shiri sums it up

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi has horrible matchups. Horrible.
Howcome everytime I see you post something about Yoshi, it's always something negative? Plus why do you main him anyways if you don't believe anything he can do, or hate him altogether?

yoshi is not low tier.

the cake is a lie.
But it's so delicious and moist!

Wait, What?

Sometimes I just think this is just a huge conspiracy....

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Mmac Mmac....Mmac Yoshi really does not have that many good or neutral match ups Honestly you guys are way to nice a bout the match up thread a lot of the 5.5s should be 6s and so on.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
MK, Snake, D3 and DK just to name some should all be a 4:6 disadvantage not a 4.5 cuz points a stupid if it is a slight advantage (6:4), Neutral (5:5) or slight disadvantage (4:6) and big disadvantage (7:3) and so on there is no need for 5.5 and stuff like that

IMO

Mmac

Smash Lord
MK, Snake, D3 and DK just to name some should all be a 4:6 disadvantage not a 4.5 cuz points a stupid if it is a slight advantage (6:4), Neutral (5:5) or slight disadvantage (4:6) and big disadvantage (7:3) and so on there is no need for 5.5 and stuff like that

IMO
So you just don't like the point system? Is that it?

D

Deleted member

Yoshi is mid tier. Being low on the tier list doesnt dictate what tier he is in, just the collective opinion of the smash back room.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, Yoshi should be around the lower part of mid-tier. He is a balanced character with a few flaws, but none that are as glaring as say Ganondorf.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yoshi has a lol-inducing priority.

Very short range, cept Bair.

Projectile is hard to SUCCESSFULLY camp with.

No third jump.

Very laggy startup on fair.

Etc.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi light? He's the fifth heaviest character in the game.
No KO moves? If you don't spam U-Air and U-Smash, they can KO at very decent percentages.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
down b is a good kill move, its fast
d air really ez to gimp with
n air edge gaurding

hes just never at an advatge he always even or has a slight disadvatge, and he doesnt have that one very broken thing, all high tier have a few broken things about them
meta knight - attack speed and low algg, duh!
snake - fast tilts that have rediclous range and power projectiles
d3 - grabs range power
gaw- smash are 2 strong aireals have range
ect.

yoshi has.... uair?
but yoshi is top tier cause of egg lay bes t move in da game hands down

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Mmac Mmac....Mmac Yoshi really does not have that many good or neutral match ups Honestly you guys are way to nice a bout the match up thread a lot of the 5.5s should be 6s and so on.
True, but the Horrible match up thing.

I dunno...

Anyways your making me feel sad, I practically hate everything not named Link, Yoshi or Ganondorf.
Your killing my hope T_T....and I have a tourney this weekend.
Your ruining my confidence man...Crap..im screwed...dammit lilb.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Down B doesn't kill til you've got them way up in the 150%+ range even if it's the first time you use it. I think it's better for damage and I rely on U-air and U-smash and sometimes F-air for KOs.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Down B doesn't kill til you've got them way up in the 150%+ range even if it's the first time you use it. I think it's better for damage and I rely on U-air and U-smash and sometimes F-air for KOs.
Fresh N-air Sex kick'd is beast.

F-air to F-smash (if they don't tech) combo, is beast.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Do you play Yoshi? Cause grounded down B kills at 100, or a bit lower.

Chroni fair to fsmash is my favorite, faking the fair is cool to.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Do you play Yoshi? Cause grounded down B kills at 100, or a bit lower.

Chroni fair to fsmash is my favorite, faking the fair is cool to.
My fault. I wasn't thinking of grounded Down B. I almost never think to use it.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
His shield. Shielding is critical in Brawl, and Yoshi is terrible at it. Still, I think he should be low-mid.

Most of his matchups are even or slightly in one character's favor, IMO. Only one character destroys Yoshi (G&W), and Yoshi only destroys two characters(Ganon, Squirtle).

Gindler

Smash Champion
His shield. Shielding is critical in Brawl, and Yoshi is terrible at it. Still, I think he should be low-mid.

Most of his matchups are even or slightly in one character's favor, IMO. Only one character destroys Yoshi (G&W), and Yoshi only destroys two characters(Ganon, Squirtle).
I wouldn't say G&W destroys yoshi, just not very fun match :(

Terrible matchups.

Laughable recovery.

No priority.

Range is a joke.

Sarcasm? :confused:

D

Deleted member

Yes that was definately sarcasm, except lil b actually agreed XD

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I can't understand how he recovers so well with only 2 jumps. o_O But meh, that's cuz I don't use Yoshi, lol.
Snowstalker is right though, yoshi's shield=O_O Like, whenever I try him, I'm so not used to the shield. Dx Shielding is a BIG part in this defensive game called brawl, if you can't do it well, your not going to be doing too well. Yoshi's grab does help stop approaches though. :O

D

Deleted member

Except yoshis recovery isnt gimpable...... I havent been footstooled in tournament ever.

Its one of the least gimpable recoveries. Link also has a very easy time KOing...

Chaco

Never Logs In
Everyone says footstool... But a good Yoshi never gets it done... Coincidence?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Ever get footstooled right as you second jump?

Yah, I've done that. It's funny.

Gimpable recovery, and KO'ing can be hard.

Same reason why Link is at the bottom.
Link is at the bottom because his recovery sucks.
If you ask EmblemLord or Ankoku (because maybe you won't take our word for it), they can likely tell you the pro's and cons of Yoshi;s revovery and how Footstooling is pretty much Nothing to him.

Top Bottom