• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Ness so bad?

Stevo

Smash Champion
ness sucks because he was too good in 64

but don't feel bad, they did the same thing to pikachu =(
AND KIRBY!

also, AXE your pika *****

I wish Pikachu didnt have that strange reverse hitbox on his up air, it would be so much easier to gimp with him then.

*on topic*

Ness' b moves are basically useless, 2 of his smashes are basically useless, and his grab range is dumb (itty bitty arms)
and his recovery sucks.

all of this has probably already been said but I didnt want to make a post that was completely off topic.

wool

Smash Ace
Pika's "strange reverse hitbox" on his uair is what makes it so good haha :p

Any Ness vids are helpful, toasty, you don't have to main him :)

D

Deleted member

ness is bad because fox/sheik exist and his up B doesn't.

ness is low tier in all 3 games.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Why would you turn to Marth when you have the potential to be the best ______ main ever?!!!
Also hopefully that ness could be greater than the best Marth main ever. :] Thats the greatness of melee, you CAN be who you want to be. Its just hard to get one over fox and marth lol. Thats the barrier, and hopefully we can break through it.

Or turn to sheik lol.

wool

Smash Ace
really? i would totally exchange that to just have it spike forwards on any hitbox that doesnt send straight up.

would make it easier to gimp with I think?
Well ya it would make it much easier to gimp. But it is pretty easy once you learn the timing. Anyway what would Pika do without rising uair :laugh:

There's a Ness player living in DC who's existence I know not of?

WTF
Haha I'm sort of in a phase where I main every character. Trying to settle in on one. Ness was in the running but I think i am going to ultimately settle on Pika. But I like to think my ness is pretty decent :)

Stevo

Smash Champion
Well ya it would make it much easier to gimp. But it is pretty easy once you learn the timing. Anyway what would Pika do without rising uair :laugh:
well I meant leave the rising up air. But I guess the timing isnt so bad. Still, I mess it up a lot and send them towards the stage lol.

wool

Smash Ace
Yeah, not going to lie, the timing took me a day to learn. I dont even know why I am posting that, I feel like an idiot lol.

ANYWAY
back to Ness.

I've never ever played against a C. Falcon as Ness. So I am just wondering does Ness's fair help stop Falcon from approaching? Like would a good tactic be to just spam lots of fairs.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ness was mid tier in smash64 IMO... Pika, Kirby, Fox, Falcon, Mario being better than him.

Ness is bad in melee and brawl because it's so rediculously easy to gay him.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Why would you turn to Marth when you have the potential to be the best Ness main ever?!!!
I guess I always will be at heart [a Ness main] but I've got some good stuff under my belt as the lil guy so I'm satisfied. I don't think I'll surpass the likes of the true great Ness players. But at least I've got the "It's a Trap!" video, right?
XD

also: omg I love Marth and his style..so graceful and vicious =D

ness is bad because fox/sheik exist and his up B doesn't.
*nods*
Also hopefully that ness could be greater than the best Marth main ever. :] Thats the greatness of melee, you CAN be who you want to be. Its just hard to get one over fox and marth lol. Thats the barrier, and hopefully we can break through it.

Or turn to sheik lol.
don't kid yourself. ceilings do exist.

livan

Smash Apprentice
n_n

... Well i see no one to you use it has a main so your point is hard to believe it or maybe you don't practice with him, from the start i main ness but also in melee i use marth and in brawl lucas but with the three im the enough good for give a good brawl, the point is that you need to first trying to play with him i try it the first time i saw him and i saw combos, what i can't do (mean limits), every character have a good and bad things.

So guys this thread don't have anything good because what you gain with that talk ... nothing maybe if that help another you(or him/her ) will gain exp but only saying is bad is bad doesn't mean anything at least for me, the characters have one or two things that the another people don't like but hey is a game isn't so perfect but what a game are perfect so stop saying that because this are pointless.

n_n

AXE 09

Smash Master
pika's reverse tailspike is amazing! you just have to learn how to use it right (as someone already stated lol)

ANYWAYS about ness...

to be honest, i kinda like ness =) funny fact: my ness is better than my sheik lmao

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I dashdance into death combos, so to that extent yes.
This could go two ways. Do you mean that all you do with Ness is dash dance, but eventually you just get comboed to death?

Or do you dash dance until an opportunity presents itself for you to combo your opponent to death?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Or do you dash dance until an opportunity presents itself for you to combo your opponent to death?
U-throw - fair - uair is a really nice combo on ganon.

I think pkt may actually be useful, for hitting people who are above you on platforms.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The cool thing about Ness is, due to the huge horizontal distance that Ness gets with his double jump, he can go for amazing Falconesque suicide kills. For instance, on Fox: Edgeguard with ftilt > falling nair > double jump dair. Granted Ness can't make it back. But it's just a sexy way to end a match.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I find it lolzy that people always try to eat pkt instead simply hogging the ledge and punishing Ness' endlag after pkt2. It's so much easier and safer.

Does Ness' pkt clank with another Ness' pkt? That'd be amazing.

Do you guys think Ness has any advantageous matchup in low tier or above? I personally find the Ness vs. Falcon matchup easier than the Peach vs. Falcon matchup...

wool

Smash Ace
Wouldn't a ness pkt and another ness' pkt hitting each other at the same time with the same distance give both knockback? I don't know, i just cant imagine it clanking lol. most people I play against always punish the end lag, and dont intercept it lol, don't understand what you mean :p

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
He tried to eat ur thunder and got blasted in the face? I find that works about as much as opponents eat my thunder.

toasty

Smash Hero
yeah...it's great. People who aren't well versed in Ness's limited recovery patterns typically wait for Ness to start his PK Thunder before they put themselves in a position to interrupt it.

This is where proper spacing for recovery comes into play, and cowardly-too-close-to-the-stage recovering gets *****.

If you're going to gimp his thunder, you have to start approaching to intercept it before he even starts the move [barring way too many exceptions, but this is if you want the guaranteed interruption]

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
If Ness has his double jump he has a pretty good chance of making git back to the stage with his airdodge + longest ledge grab range.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
They probably gave him really long ledgegrab range so that sweetspotting with pkt2 would work.

I need to get djcffl down 100%, wd oos, and sweetspotting with airdodge and then I pretty much have everything down about Ness, except yyg.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
When recovering, is it better to use your double jump early, the way Doc and Mario use tornado immediately, or to save it for when you're a little closer to the stage? I ask because the late double jump seems to leave you kind of vulnerable, due to the predictable pendulum-like arc that it makes.

toasty

Smash Hero
I don't think I use it immediately, but when I get in mid range [meaning somewhere between "immediately" and "close enough to the stage where I can just double jump back on"]

and haha @ Kasumi

Sage: one of the keys to Ness is the ability to create/find/capitalize on openings. One of the keys to THAT is your wavedashdance mixup mindgame. Like the way ICs do except Ness is bad :(

Top Bottom