• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Ness so bad?

livan

Smash Apprentice
a ness move pretty good in all of the ssb and well in earthbound too (mother 2)
n_n

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ness is too good. And, if you practice ness and get good with him, you'll look good. and so will he!

Man, I love Ness and all his moves and stuff. ;]

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Hey Dogy, is it true you found ways to Combo with YYG? If it's true, I'm going to try my best to find out how to. No need on telling me but it would be convenient but you don't have to.

Also, I'm glad your a mod; you deserve to be a Mod. lol.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yeah i did.

I actually found alot of interesting stuff about ness that I havent seen mentioned ever. Almost have a system worked out for edge cancelled pk fire, then i just have to actually practice it.

I never planned on talking about what I found (and still dont) because the only reason why im even working on ness against is he used to be my low tier main years ago and he's the only character i've played that hasnt gotten better (I mean for Christ's sake, some people actually despise my Kirby as a thread and think my Ness is some sick joke).

Some vids might pop up here and there (i know sleepyk has a batch of me playing like GUAH :( from the last monthly we had), but beyond that, only reason any of this came up is because some people think that it's everybody's goal to be "the savior of a character."

*coldly glares at "some people"*

__

Me, a mod. -Laughs sarcastically- I still wonder who had to get shot for that to happen. XD

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hey man, I don't think your ness or kirby are a sick joke, in fact I say "thats how I should play kirby" haha.

A mod you don't see on the boards anymore.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
everytime I see this threadhead, I just want to burst in here like "DO YOU REALIZE HOW BIG THIS N****'S HEAD IS?"
lmfao that had me dyin cuz I could imagine you saying it...if you really wanna see craziness, have him stand right next to Sheik...pause...and then zoom in. lil b;tcha.ss kid's head is as big as her entire UPPER BODY.

/sigh

only ness players do this crap, yet another reason why I don't talk to any despite knowing the character so well.
*sighs*...yeah...I hate it when they do crap like that *looks at Sage*

Take Ness to high level play if you:
-love the character
-are comfortable using him
-don't mind being on the brink of a heart attack trying to apply the necessary focus for playing Ness against someone good
-enjoy the rough-as-hell challenge ahead of you
-aren't egotistically wounded easily by losses

I love Yoshi's Story for Ness.

I've gotten gimped by the Shy Guys maybe 2 or 3 times ever...but I've been SAVED by riding up the wall and bouncing off at the lip couuuuntless times. The majority of people don't/won't edgehog against that properly.

also the combos, small boundaries, wavelanding, and platform **** are so supportive of my Ness's style of play...I just feel at home there ^_^

and I know the cloud's timing so it helps with recovery

[it comes out of the stage at each 5 second mark and goes back on at each 0 second mark. when it's odd [:15, :35, :55] it comes out on the right side. when it's even [:05, :25, :45] it comes out on the left side.]

YS is not very good against Fox though :( And it's not as bad against Marth as you'd think ^_^

Moving on...as far as comboing with the YYG...Dogy hit me up with a PM! I wanna know stuff beyond the PK Toasty =D

livan

Smash Apprentice
o well maybe this isn't a very fair but anyways i will say it ness lucas claus are pretty cool and well sage is too cool for use ness has main ok everyone that use ness lucas claus are pretty cool for me ok so animo guys

n_n

LSDX

Wah!
o well maybe this isn't a very fair but anyways i will say it ness lucas claus are pretty cool and well sage is too cool for use ness has main ok everyone that use ness lucas claus are pretty cool for me ok so animo guys

n_n
Needs less Brawl...

Needs more death-line grabs...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
My favorite thing about Ness is that some matchups he plays really slow and floaty and other matchups he plays really quick and like a ff'er.

I think if Ness had more grab range he'd be a really good character. A lot of his game centers on grab combos.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I just miss too many grabs I shouldn't (ie ganon standing next to me wtf).

I need to solidify my tech skill especially my l-canceling. That's the biggest thing holding my Peach and Ness back. It's why my shiek is lookign so good now I guess... She doesn't really need l-canceling lol.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
peach probably needs lcanceling less than sheik does.

Ness's ftilt is pretty good

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Nah, L-canceling is important too cuz with Peach you have to maximize every single movement cuz she's so slow. Fc'ing is way easier than l-canceling for me. Just like how djc is easier than sh for me.

The f-tilt never gives me any rewards when I land it. I guess edgeguarding with it is ok, but it can be di'd so it helps them. =/

toasty

Smash Hero
lots of things can be DI'ed but trust me, ftilt is BEAST for an edgeguard. It's got deceptive range that people tend to doubt but it's got good priority vs. a lot of recoveries but most importantly: it's a "meaty" hitbox. Don't know if Smashers know that term cuz I sure as hell didn't tell I dabbled in SF4 and saw it on the SRK forums. Basically, a meaty hitbox isn't quite like a "sex kick" but it's similar. Just know that the move stays out there for a while.

Angling the ftilt is KEY to its success as an edgeguard.

It is very effective against Falcon/Ganon.

If you can tell that someone isn't going to be able to sweetspot from where they are [like a space animal vertically below the edge but too close to sweetspot and he's...iunno...on Battlefield so he can't angle it either], you can angle this downward over the edge and it's more difficult to tech/survive than the alternatives [fsmash/dtilt, respectively]

Also, don't underestimate the brute strength of his ftilt. It's like a 75% redux version of Ganon's ftilt...which is a monster.

At mid-high dmg, if they DI it, you can set up for a PK Flash.

At high dmg, if they don't die, you can easily set up for edgehog or at least edgehog so that they're forced to recover onto the stage and you can just ledgehop bair or ledgehop dair->uair/bair [depending on char. weight and damage]

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I know about meaty hitboxes. Ness has a lot of them actually...

GaW is the meateist (is that a word?) character though lol.

For edgeguarding ganon/falcon I just guage where they are in their recovery. If they are below the edge and far away I grab the edge. That way they are edgehogged. If they get onstage I just get back on and b-throw them off. You have to be careful about spacing. Bat ***** them if they go off the ledge though. If they are higher I just bat them high enough that they can't di into the stage to tech. It may be possible, but it hasn't happened to me yet =/

I've been adding some random pkt into my game. It does catch people off when they are platform camping above you.

DJC uair is the coolest kill move vs. Jigglypuff. HEADBUTT

Once you learn how to read di, Ness has a surprising amount of options to combo from throws with. U-throw combos ff'ers at low-mid percent and d-throw combos them at high percents. I'm going to try to make it so that everytime I grab a ff'er it = stock. I can do that with shiek sometimes...

D-smash has weird hitstun lol.

I was wrong about fair actually. It does combo some people very effectively at mid percents. You can also see mow using it to continue his combo in the vs. falcon vid.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Yo how do you guys approach marths. It's incredibly hard for me. I've been tryings like run in > shield[to mess up marths spacing and attack oos] or the full hop > delayed dj aerial that toasty was doing vs fullmetal. But that one is kinda gimmicky and it stopped working after the first few times i did it.

I don't know how else to get in against marths and his ridiculous range, a little help?

toasty

Smash Hero
baitbaitbaitbaitbaitbaitbaitbaitbaitbait

10baits

but f'real? oh...wait....bait.

It's all about PERFECT wavedashes. People underrate Ness's speed simply because they don't KNOW how fast he can be. Dashing right into perfect wavedashes are essential for high level Ness play.

Also...it's very rare for Ness to get openings for entry, esp against someone like Marth, so it's wise to make SURE you can get the hit in before you actually commit to the attack. Just keep dashing in and out and it'll come to youuuu...with great difficulty ;__;

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Anybody know any combos vs. Marth? It's so frustrating that I can't combo him.

I like to djcff ac dair vs. sheilds. It may actually be safe on shields.

wool

Smash Ace
toasty that combo is pretty legit. Im definitely trying that out on my not-so-good-easy-to-bait sister who plays marth.

toasty

Smash Hero
toasty should record more so i can steal some of his trixies
The sad truth is that on September 6th, 2009, I relinquished my label as a low-tier main.

No more Ness.

No more Pikachu.

Why?

Well I was never the competitive type of Melee player who craved the title of champion. I had a rough idea of where I stood and wasn't delusional in the slightest. I really loved using those two characters though and even though I tried maining top tiers for a while [and got pretty good because of my background with low-tiers, which is a HUGE asset that helps with getting better faster], I never felt as comfortable/confident with them as I did with my "****ty characters."

So what was I "wasting my time with low-tiers" for? Some false sense of honor or an equally false sense of hope? Nah. I loved the challenge and I love to surprise people. I relish in being able to make top tier users sweat when they see my little Ness =D

I take great pride in my accomplishments with both characters, but rarely engage in the hypocrisy of assuming my loss was solely due to my character choice vs. theirs.

That being said, over my time as a main with either character, I've taken MANY matches [and far too rarely, sets] from semi pros with Ness and Pikachu. Some in tournament, but honestly most of them were just friendlies.

But I never managed to crack any pro players.

That is...until August/early September.

In a few friendlies, I managed to beat MikeG's Peach with Pikachu [rust-Johns for him, but I said it, not him :)] and in pools at Tipped Off 5, I "won" a game against Colbol's Fox with Ness [on my YS counterpick! =D...oh and I say "won" because he Boback-ed his last stock, but he was at mid-high damage anyway....oh and then he 3-or-4 stocked me on YS right after that...I was too excited about the win to remember XD]

But then I managed to get wrecked every other match beyond those. While I was always aware that playing those characters would be severely limiting at the level of competition I felt I could engage in, I figured it was time to stop handicapping myself.

Those small victories were most definitely satisfying enough signs of my progress and abilities with those characters and as a player in general.

I got what I wanted.

It's time for me to move on.

tl:dr version:
I recently beat pros in friendlies and tourney matches with both Pika and Ness so I'm calling that a good spot for me to retire my low tiers at :)

...................but I'll still play Ness occasionally just to keep my lil guy fresh [annnnd I'll record some vids, JUST for you Macman =D]

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
as long as you continue to provide ness vids. Good **** taking a game off of colbol. Have fun being a top tier like the rest of us XD

i have to try this weak nair > uair nonsense. i can't really picture how it works. You hit with the nair in the last few frames? When the hitbox is only at ness's butt and is really weak?

AXE 09

Smash Master
ness sucks because he was too good in 64

but don't feel bad, they did the same thing to pikachu =(

livan

Smash Apprentice
n_n

... Ness don't sucks is just that many players don't focus in how to use the pk thunder like giving more distance for use it like jump you can try to makes something that the opponent can't know like a lil bit more up makes him go more down than up and makes it more down you will more up is just to try and pratice a lot about the pk thunder and for make combos you can use pk fire and pk flash animo ok !

n_n

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
But yeahhh I'm a Marth main now ^_^
I always knew you were secretly gay.

What am I talking about? I used to main Peach lmao.

I picked up shiek so pretty much with a combination of Ness/Peach/Shiek and I can **** on anybody's cp. =D

Top Bottom