• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Doc better then Mario???

St. Viers

Smash Champion
just a comment about people saying power doesn't win in Smash:

Doc is as fast as Mario, with most attacks. He SHFFLs just as well, and has almost the same awesome wavedash. Thus the extra power tips it in his favor. I've found that although the cape is better for recovery, the times that it would make a diffrence being Mario v Doc are very few in occurance.

__In Math Terms__

Although x+y isn't always better than a+b, it is when x=a-1 and y=b+3

x=speed of Doc
y=power of Doc
a=speed of Mario
b=power of Mario

disclaimer: these numbers aren't based off anything real, but just the fact that mario is a bit faster overall, and Doc is much stronger.

Pariah

Smash Apprentice
been stated many times.

eddie has one of the best ganons, and he does use a lot of mind games. His ganon is not, however, slow.

Fox does counter ganon.

ganon is a slow character overall. the combination of his movespeed, wavedash length, jump delay, move startup, and ending lag make him one of the overall slowest characters in the game. the reason he is not low tier is the fact that he packs a lot of power into his moves.

btw, when you listed characters you forgot the other 10 or so characters that have faster movespeed, longer wavedash, and less lag.
_
Yeah, but if you are a good Ganon user you shouldn't be worrying about his speed. And wasn't this a board concerning Doc? O.o;

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
_
Yeah, but if you are a good Ganon user you shouldn't be worrying about his speed. And wasn't this a board concerning Doc? O.o;
ask him he brought up ganon not me. but yes, you are concerned with speed when u play ganon, every little bit helps. and thank you to the guy above that posted the algebra thing, finally someone around here has some sense.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I really don't think this topic should be here
but oh well

I don't think Doc is better than Mario
and thats not what the tier list shows at all
but thats besides the point

I like Mario much better than Doc
hes easy to Shuffle with
which is important
he has a good fair spike
and recovery is better due to cape
plus his side step is better in my opinon
Is that a poem? O_o

Peeze

Smash Master
The main difference I can see is their Fair. Mario's acts as a Meteor spike, meaning it can be cancelled, while Doc's aims upwards, meaning death.
I was about to say similar. The only advantage Mario has(IMO) is in his quicker aerials, which although rocks, still isn't as cool as a one hitter-quiter which Doc has.
Like Ganon and Falcon, unless you have quick fingers to rack up plenty of damage, Ganon's raw power is just better.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
IMO, doc's cape plays an important role in this. His cape can hit sweetspotters, while mario can't. I heard that this helps a lot against shiek (maybe in the tier list topic? I don't know...). In addition to factors like pills > fireballs and doc's better KO abilities, I think this gives doc the edge.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
eddie never played a fast ganon, he always focused more on mindgames, i've seen him play, he's not tipman in anyway, tipman's got a fast ganon, eddie competes nowhere with tipman's speed, yes his ganon is fast, but not as fast as he could be

and doc is smarter than mario...just the obvious

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
eddie never played a fast ganon, he always focused more on mindgames, i've seen him play, he's not tipman in anyway, tipman's got a fast ganon, eddie competes nowhere with tipman's speed, yes his ganon is fast, but not as fast as he could be

and doc is smarter than mario...just the obvious
you've seen him play. now try playing him. gg.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
@ Topic: Doc's Attackes at whole are stronger than mario's.
And Doc's forw. b is bigger...

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i know eddie's a great ganon player, but he never played a "fast" ganon, he's more of a weird ganon, but it works

and marth's stronger than roy....

mood4food77

Smash Hero
yes he is, roy is stronger with down b, b, down smash, and his grabs, marth is stronger in every other move not named, they are equal in strength for their up bs and forward smashes

also, marth is heavier, has a longer reach, faster, better wavedash, better recovery, and more KO power...

Peeze

Smash Master
not in terms of brute force, Marth's hits give less damage than Roy's. Don't get me wrong Marth is way better, just faster and weaker(not by a lot)

Wet Fish KO

Smash Rookie
i think the Dr mario is only slightly better than mario as his smash attacks are more powerful, but only if he had the down-smash that mario does in the air, then i think that more ppl would play as Dr mario rather than Mario.
dont get me wrong, Mario is really gd, jus that the doc is slightly better in my opinion.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
don't make me get teh damage comparison chart...please don't make me get it, it's been determined like, since the game came out

doc's placement on the tier list is higher because of jiggs, doc has the advantage over jiggs while mario does not

also, doc does better on almost every character except for sheik, pika, and pichu

alcheato

Smash Ace
Basically it comes down to Doc's pills being less predictable, bouncing higher, and having greater knockback than Mario's fireballs, his cape having much less lag and being easier to catch sweet spotters with, his forward smash having a MUCH bigger sweetspot, and his grabs having weird reach (I grab people behind me while facing forward all the time with Doc). IMO Mario's advantages (better recovery, walljump - not all that useful, longer reach with f-smash, and having a bit less lag on aerials) are not enough to make up for his inferior KO potential. Plus a Doctor's outfit is way sexier than an outdated plumbers getup anyday.

Mars-

Smash Champion
i know eddie's a great ganon player, but he never played a "fast" ganon, he's more of a weird ganon, but it works

and marth's stronger than roy....
He does play a fast ganon. It might not be as fast as tipman, but it is fast.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Basically it comes down to Doc's pills being less predictable, bouncing higher, and having greater knockback than Mario's fireballs, his cape having much less lag and being easier to catch sweet spotters with, his forward smash having a MUCH bigger sweetspot, and his grabs having weird reach (I grab people behind me while facing forward all the time with Doc). IMO Mario's advantages (better recovery, walljump - not all that useful, longer reach with f-smash, and having a bit less lag on aerials) are not enough to make up for his inferior KO potential. Plus a Doctor's outfit is way sexier than an outdated plumbers getup anyday.
Ummmm, Doc's forward smash may have a much bigger sweetspot, but only because the entire attack IS the sweetspot. Don't forget that it's much bigger because it has the shortest reach in the game in the first place, so there's no room for there to not be a sweetspot.

Acidictadpole

Smash Cadet
Dr. Mario is better cuz you can yell out "PILL" everytime your ranged hits :laugh:

I play with either, i like docs better kb and damage on the smashes but mario's ranged range (go figure) and his blanket (cape, but i annoy my friends by calling it that) that makes me like him. also his Fair sometimes can be used to punish people who dont DI right.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Doctors are more useful than Plumbers.
LMFAO. GENIUS.

I think its the pills / fair. Though I like shffled fairs as mario because you can combo nicely out of them with uair to something else.

I perfer mario, I just find him more fun to play. Doc is a better character but that shouldnt stop you from playing mario if ya like him. You can still win with mario, check out some of the top mario players they're -insane- at combos.

leelue

Smash Lord
i dont know where this became a marth/roy debate, but anyway....

a lot of marths advantace comes from 2 obvious areas, his air game and his framerate. Marth has redicoulous air capabilities and nearly evrey one of his attacks have less lag, making him a a far more efficient character...

Marth and roy do not share strngth in thier up-b's, roy can reverse kill jigg at 0, marth cant.

marth has less fall speed, floatiness rox.

back to marios

doc may fall faster but his arial trajecory is offset more horizontally (air speed), so thier recoveries are closer than most other clones. Doc has slightly different chain grabs on people, maybe thats a factor, i dont know.

I always preferred docs cape, because of not only the sweetspott kill, but high damage stun.

and as a side note, i have a question, does doctor mario have the longest "im not on the edge but i can still grab the edge from this far away" range? i know mewtwo can grab it out of a dodge the fastest, but idont know ranges

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Doc is better then Mario for one main reason, KO capability. Doc kills easier then Mario. His pills are better and more spammable and his back kick has a good knock back. Nuff Said :)

Zodiac

Smash Master
I play Doc because of Bob$, And I really cant see why doc is better, the only reason I ahvnt picked up mario is because I already play doc and know his combos and set ups,which are a litle different from marios, and plus, the fact that mario is so much more floaty it throws off my comboing ability. but In my opinion Mario's better than doc, A good Mario can beat a good doc for the simple fact that Mario can stay half a step ahead of him in terms of speed and recovery.

Top Bottom