• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Doc better then Mario???

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Yeah just wondering why everyone thinks Doc is better then Mario? He is 2 spot higher on the tier list...So, can someone just tell me what is better(Graps,Tilts,Smashs,range...)
Thanks!!!

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
This should be posted in character specific man, they can explain to you a lot better there since they research the characters.... Specifically :laugh:

leelue

Smash Lord
If you ask me, Mario only has 3 things better for him than Doc

Hes more floaty
He has just a little more range on his Front Smash
His recovery is slightly better due to his cape.

But either way, its Docs extra power that gives him the edge. and even the range on his front smash can be used to his advantage against Fox and falco. The down throw comboes into a backwards front smash at almost any damage, assuming they dont tech out of it.

BTW, most ppl think doc is a lot slower than Mario, but all of his attacks (except the A-A-A combo) excecute at the same speed.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
strange that Doc is a far amount better just cause he has more power.... Since when in SSBM has power been the deciding factor??? Oh well. Thanks again!!

pdk

Smash Lord
since power meant easier one-hit kills perhaps?

Pariah

Smash Apprentice
Yeah just wondering why everyone thinks Doc is better then Mario? He is 2 spot higher on the tier list...So, can someone just tell me what is better(Graps,Tilts,Smashs,range...)
Thanks!!!
_
Well, Doctor Mario is simply put in smash: Higher lever Mario in a Doctor costume. Mario's a good all-around character that will get you pretty well in tournaments and what not. But then you have Doctor Mario, who just seems to double that. So he is a bit better than the original Mario, in my opinion.

Dominatorsheik

Smash Cadet
I personaly think that Mario and Doc have similar power levels and speed. I dont know, it depends on personal preference, I guess.

Sensai

Smash Master
The main difference I can see is their Fair. Mario's acts as a Meteor spike, meaning it can be cancelled, while Doc's aims upwards, meaning death.

pdk

Smash Lord
their speed difference is practically impossible to notice, but doc gains a lot from the difference in his fair (sends opponents upward, making kills with it a lot easier) and his fsmash not needing to be spaced right to work well

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Doc can kill more easily and is a better edgeguarder in the game. Mario has the slowest meteor in terms of recovery. Doc's Bair has a lower trajectory than Mario.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Power doesn't win games!!! Also, just because Mario has a hard time setting up for KO's, doesn't mean it's THAT hard.

ChozenOne, if you did not have a plumber, what would you do if your entire house flooded all at once??? I think you'd be in some major trouble!!!!

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
I really don't think this topic should be here
but oh well

I don't think Doc is better than Mario
and thats not what the tier list shows at all
but thats besides the point

I like Mario much better than Doc
hes easy to Shuffle with
which is important
he has a good fair spike
and recovery is better due to cape
plus his side step is better in my opinon

Fletch

Smash Master
Main reasons, IMO, in order: Pills, F-air, B-air, Cape. Mario does have the recovery over him, Doc just does to do most things a little better than him however.

Kalmetam

Smash Journeyman
That figures. But Dr. Mario is more powerful, he's my third best character! His capsules also release items. He's really cool. If you live in the see then there is no point of using a toilet, if you did, it won't be pretty at all.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Doctors are more useful than Plumbers.
I remember hearing somewhere that plumbers make more money than doctors, since no one wants to do the job. Plumbing is not exactly a crowded field.

Power doesn't win games!!! Also, just because Mario has a hard time setting up for KO's, doesn't mean it's THAT hard.
Well, looking at Maelstrom's guide, and actually trying it out, Doc is easier to play than Mario, however, for me, it wasn't any fun playing as Doc, so I stuck with Mario.

Oh, mario-man, it IS hard setting up KO's for Mario, and the more dodgy the opponent, the worse. My brother plays Pikachu, and he can kill me as soon as I hit 80%, but I need to get him to 140% before having a chance to finish him off. Of course, in my opinion, Mario at least lessens the impact of that weakness with his combo ability so that its easier to get the opponent to that damage percentage.

Of course, even though my brother can kill me early [semi-spike + poor recovery = dead at 10%, up-smash at 80%], he has a hard time even landing a hit on me, whearas I rack up damage easily, so it evens out [me at slight advantage, up to 2 stock].

I don't feel as mobile with Doc, which is why I don't pick him, but them Pills are awesome.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Sorry, I said it wrong. I did hear you say that it was hard, but what I meant was that it is HARDER than you said.

Sure, its not at the point where its impossible, but it can still be fairly hard compared to other characters. Fox's up-air, Pikachu's Up-Smash, Marth's tipped F-Smash, etc.

I tried Fox, its MUCH easier to KO with Fox than Mario. [I so badly wish I could go to a tourney, I'm learning in my house, but I am not permitted to go out].

About Doc and Mario, its just a matter of personal preference, like someone before said.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
I remember hearing somewhere that plumbers make more money than doctors, since no one wants to do the job. Plumbing is not exactly a crowded field.
You are clearly missing the main point.. No One Trust Italians in their home.. therefore Mario is constantly out of work, whereas Doctor Mario is one of the most trusted authorities on Gunshot wounds due to his current mob affiliations.

mario-man

Smash Lord
About Doc and Mario, its just a matter of personal preference, like someone before said
I believe that was me also. Yes, it is much easier to KO with Fox.

UAIR=Insane
U-SMASH=Even Worse

mood4food77

Smash Hero
mario is KO ********, he has 2KO moves, dsmash and fsmash, doc has both of those as well as bthrow, fair, and nair, and all of his KO moves can kill an opponent under 100% while mario must wait usually until 170 on a peach or something

doc has more lag than mario from most of his attacks, so mario can move a little faster than doc can but doc has overall more reach

and really, why doc is better than mario is because of jigglypuff, doc has an advantage on jiggs while mario doesn't, the only match-up in which one has the advantage and the other doesn't, and maybe also g&w since doc has a much easier time on him than mario, mario's dthrow is pretty much useless against him

and yes, chozen lives in the sea...he does not need a plumber

EDIT: by the way chozen, i'm 5/8 italian, we are loved by all

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
reasons why doc > mario:

Pills, nair, cape, and fair.

pills are one of the better projectiles in the game giving 8% each and having a decent amount of stun.

doc's nair is the only nair in the game that increases in damage and knockback the longer it is out.

doc's cape hits under the edge of the stage which makes sweetspotting nearly impossible vs doc.

his fair is a decent finisher, unlike mario's which you will probably never be able to hit a human with it, kill them and you survive.

the only thing mario really has on doc is that his cape works well when recovering.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Mood4food, unless you happen to be SuperDoodleMan incarnate or a computer, the 1-2 frames of faster recovery on Mario's aerials when compared to Doc's shouldn't be a significant factor. To balance it out, Doc's aerials have more stun time. So Mario's recovery time advantage means jack.

And Mario has no real KO move outside of f-smash. D-smash can be groundteched/DI'd up to insane %s, if your DI is decent enough. F-smash is the only thing he has, and it's a ***** to combo into it.

Doc's KO moves aren't as godly as you make it out to be either. Doc's real KO moves are f-air (on floaties only), f-smash (which has crappy range) and d-smash. B-throw can be DI'd to the point where it doesn't KO. Though it sets up nicely for edgeguarding. Mostly, it's about the d-smash.

You guys want to know the real difference between Mario and Doc? Mario can't KO. Doc can. That's all.

I'm saying that because the rest of their differences are pretty negligible. Yeah, you can bring up the fact that Doc has marginally better edgeguarding because of the cape and b-air, but Mario does almost as well.

You can say that Mario has better combos because he has a decent vertical launcher (u-tilt) while Doc doesn't--but then again, Doc's pill rushdown opens up so many hit and grab opportunities (that lead to combos) that the combo advantage Mario has isn't a big difference.

You can bring up the whole deal about Mario having better recovery, but Doc's up-b has the godly magnet hands.

You could claim that Doc's pills are friggin' godly--and they are--but Mario doesn't really suffer from having a supposedly inferior projectile. Fireballs are still sort of usefull (against float-cancelling, pseudo-spiking, semi-rushdown), just not in the same context as pills.

You could talk about how Doc has more range on his n-air, f-air, b-air, and dash attack, but again, in the long run, it's not like Mario's n-air/f-air/b-air/dash attack is that much worse. Well, his dash attack is, but let's not go there.

Basically, it's about KO power. Doc can KO; he has the moves to do it, and the means to set it up. Mario can't KO--he has incredible means to set up KOs because his combos can rack up massive damage. He just has a hard time finishing combos into reliable kill moves. Sex kick, u-smash, and d-smash are all woefully inadequate when it comes to an opponent who knows how to DI properly. As any Mario player can tell you.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
hmm, most everything has been covered, but, I think there was something about the capes, like docter's reaches a little lower, so it can hit sweetspotters. I dunno though!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
hmm, most everything has been covered, but, I think there was something about the capes, like docter's reaches a little lower, so it can hit sweetspotters. I dunno though!
yes it does. mario's hits farther forward though. think of it as a rectange. mario holds his so the long sides go forwards, but doc holds his from the long sides so it goes farther down but not as far forward. also mario's cape is techable, but i dont think doc's is (correct me if i am wrong)

and by the way mario-man, power DOES win matches. that is why ganon is not bottom tier.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
those 1-2 frames makes mario feel so much faster than doc for some reason

also doc's much quieter (like it matters)

and mainly, the difference in doc's and mario's fair really makes a difference

mario-man

Smash Lord
and by the way mario-man, power DOES win matches. that is why ganon is not bottom tier
Actually, Ganon is not bottom tier because people that play him simply overcome the advantages of the other player. (We all understand that the Tier list is based on the players skill anyways, RIGHT??)

Also, you are saying that if one Ganon faces against a Fox player that is extremely better than him, he will win anyways because power wins matches. Right??????

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Actually, Ganon is not bottom tier because people that play him simply overcome the advantages of the other player. (We all understand that the Tier list is based on the players skill anyways, RIGHT??)

Also, you are saying that if one Ganon faces against a Fox player that is extremely better than him, he will win anyways because power wins matches. Right??????
no i didnt say that. you are saying that power has no bearing on the match, while it does. if mario and doc have relitively the same speed attacks and one has more power than the other, id rather have more power than less.

btw your example is really ********. fox is a ganon COUNTER. eddie loses to foxes who are worse than him because of that.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
that's cause eddie's ganon is slow, he uses more mindgames, his ganon is very odd to watch, but fox does not counter ganon, ganon does decent on them, but still...fox wins

and ganon isn't slow, he can go fast, but not fox, falco, sheik, marth, IC, luigi, falcon fast but he can keep up with some of those to an extent

_shadow_fox_

Smash Cadet
Well, for me, doc is just easier to control. He has more KOing moves, I'm pretty sure that I'm wrong, but I always tought that doc's fair was stronger, but it's prob just my imagination. Doc has a certain coolness to him. So, I really have nothing against Mario. Doc is justmore my style.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Doc has worse recovery. Just thought I'd point that out.
been stated many times.

that's cause eddie's ganon is slow, he uses more mindgames, his ganon is very odd to watch, but fox does not counter ganon, ganon does decent on them, but still...fox wins

and ganon isn't slow, he can go fast, but not fox, falco, sheik, marth, IC, luigi, falcon fast but he can keep up with some of those to an extent
eddie has one of the best ganons, and he does use a lot of mind games. His ganon is not, however, slow.

Fox does counter ganon.

ganon is a slow character overall. the combination of his movespeed, wavedash length, jump delay, move startup, and ending lag make him one of the overall slowest characters in the game. the reason he is not low tier is the fact that he packs a lot of power into his moves.

btw, when you listed characters you forgot the other 10 or so characters that have faster movespeed, longer wavedash, and less lag.

Top Bottom