• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I quit online

TheFast

Smash Lord
When you can go online and beat people you meet on smash boards who bragged about how good they are without every using a pikman you know something is wrong. Many people in brawl think they are good, because of the lack "ATs" in the game, as they where smashing buttons, and spamming moves. I know some people who play online have skill but majority of people who think they are good are not up to Parr with tourney level people who study the little flaws to get slight advantages which are what make or break real games. It is what made melee such a great game. But now in Brawl you see people who cannot hold a finger to professional players and claim to be so good. I'm not claiming to be that good and I know I need lost of work to be truly good at this game and people who brag about being so good are taking away from many of the people who do work really hard to become great at this game. Any person that is truly good at this game I'm sure has thought at one time of going back to melee because of people like this. I am posting this because I want smash boards to go back to people wanting to get better not people playing online fights to prove a character good, who's the best what, or "what color kirby do you use" ....... My main point to tell people who are working to be great ones that your work is acknowledged by somebody, trying to do the same. I'm so tired of seeing people asking who's a good what and 25 people answering themselves if you ever say that you are a great ones. I just want to take all these people who think they are so good and let them have one on ones with the great players. And as fair as I'm concerned brawl is to young of a game to have "great" players, and the one truly working to get there know this. Don't post a reply to this say "yah i hate them also" enless you know for sure you are not one of them.

bobson

Smash Lord
Why is this important enough to merit five exclamation marks?

TheFast

Smash Lord
I what I was talking about people then they are good because they play online and and use Ike's upsmash , no offensive to Ike players its just the natural lag of online playing gives him an advantage. I did stop playing online a long time ago but i was just bring it up as a way that I can express what is happening. It makes me not blame Fummi for hating foreigners... while i don't agree that we are all ruining the game I do agree that certain people are beginning to ruin what the community was. It started as friends getting together and wanting to get better to challenge each other. Not to prove who was the best but the spending the time to get better together at something. In a sense it was people working for a common goal and now its just, "hey ill prove you wrong" or "i'm so good" its just.... I don't even know what to say to what its becoming.

Shade487z

Smash Cadet
You make a serious point. I just recently quit a crew because I noticed that we weren't terribly good and when I tried to explain to them that they need to improve they continuously flamed me and ignored my warnings, saying they knew they were good and could easily beat pros. It got to the point that I gave up on them and quit to find a crew who actually knows they need to improve. But for some people (like myself), online play is the only way they'll ever get better because otherwise the only opponents we'd have would be CPUs. I'm pretty sure there's not even five other smashers around where I live so without wifi there would be no way I'd ever get any better.

Sorry if this sounds n00bish, btw.

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
You make a serious point. I just recently quit a crew because I noticed that we weren't terribly good and when I tried to explain to them that they need to improve they continuously flamed me and ignored my warnings, saying they knew they were good and could easily beat pros. It got to the point that I gave up on them and quit to find a crew who actually knows they need to improve. But for some people (like myself), online play is the only way they'll ever get better because otherwise the only opponents we'd have would be CPUs. I'm pretty sure there's not even five other smashers around where I live so without wifi there would be no way I'd ever get any better.

Sorry if this sounds n00bish, btw.

I know what you mean

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
Online brawl rocks. But only playing with friends.

Serously i thought it was just people *****ing but I hate with anyone. All they do is spam taunts all day.

But yeah I get no lag playing with friends so its good for me.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
lol
well i'm used to it, almost nobody in my area plays smash and i've been listening to the same thing you just described for years now. but in the end it just gives me a little chuckle when i beat down on them. i know i'm not the best but i do make it a point to improve my game as much as possible AND at the same time i try to make my friends better by showing them what exactly it is that they need improvement on. unfortunately, the number of friends that actually try are pretty limited, but even one decent opponet is more than i'm used to nowadays. somehow everybody has this misconceived notion that lv 9 cps = difficult opponets. but whatever, if they suck that's their problem really, i just show them the truth is all.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Someooonnneeeee got owned by a scrub on friend finder.

FF+someone with a good connection who lives close= not so bad.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, I just don't understand the point of this.
I'm not trying to be mean, i just don't understand what You're trying to say.

bobson

Smash Lord
because of what is becoming of the brawl community.
People who suck will think they're good if they regularly beat people who suck more. This has been and will always be true of every game that's in any way competitive.

Shade487z

Smash Cadet
People who suck will think they're good if they regularly beat people who suck more. This has been and will always be true of every game that's in any way competitive.
That's the EXACT problem with the crew I was in. I couldn't really find the right words for it myself but you just stated it perfectly.

TheFast

Smash Lord
wow this board started up faster than I thought it would. I thought I would just get trash talked glad to see other people see where I'm coming from.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
You're right, how silly. That statement is only true for people playing the game.
OP's joindate is March 08. Your sig says you can't see any posts made by users that have joined after February 08..

And I'm wondering if you'll see this.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
OP's joindate is March 08. Your sig says you can't see any posts made by users that have joined after February 08..
The person he quoted in his sig joined in May 2008 :laugh:

Basically what he's saying is "hey everyone, look at me I'm a huge douche!"

Anyway, I picked up Marth a month ago and played nothing but wifi, and it helped me get second place at a tournament :)

If you play against good enough people (and if the lag is low enough), you can still have great quality matches and improve in the process.

TheFast

Smash Lord
joining smashboards late doesn't mean you joined the brawl community late I think this is an 08 account but I've been around a long while.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^ I'm pretty sure his sig is referring to the '08ers who enter MvB debates and talk about the balance between the two games and obviously don't know what they're talking about.

When you can go online and beat people you meet on smash boards who bragged about how good they are without every using a pikman you know something is wrong. Many people in brawl think they are good, because of the lack "ATs" in the game, as they where smashing buttons, and spamming moves. I know some people who play online have skill but majority of people who think they are good are not up to Parr with tourney level people who study the little flaws to get slight advantages which are what make or break real games. It is what made melee such a great game. But now in Brawl you see people who cannot hold a finger to professional players and claim to be so good. I'm not claiming to be that good and I know I need lost of work to be truly good at this game and people who brag about being so good are taking away from many of the people who do work really hard to become great at this game. Any person that is truly good at this game I'm sure has thought at one time of going back to melee because of people like this. I am posting this because I want smash boards to go back to people wanting to get better not people playing online fights to prove a character good, who's the best what, or "what color kirby do you use" ....... My main point to tell people who are working to be great ones that your work is acknowledged by somebody, trying to do the same. I'm so tired of seeing people asking who's a good what and 25 people answering themselves if you ever say that you are a great ones. I just want to take all these people who think they are so good and let them have one on ones with the great players. And as fair as I'm concerned brawl is to young of a game to have "great" players, and the one truly working to get there know this. Don't post a reply to this say "yah i hate them also" enless you know for sure you are not one of them.
There are people like this everywhere, not just smashboards- heck, not just smash- any game where you have kids without alot of exposure to higher level players, you'll find people who think they're good but suck in the big picture of things. On AiB, I used to go around looking for matches against "good Toon Link" players. I kid you not, every person who answered that request was someone who was constantly trying to D-air me, and I'd punish them hard for it. Seriously, I'd walk under them and they'd use D-air. You'd think that after your 5th time getting grabbed out of a whiffed D-air you'd realize it's not a good strategy to use it so much. Ironically, the best TL (or rather, smartest? since he didn't leave himself open so freakin much) I've played against online wasn't even a TL main >_>

Brawl isn't too young of a game to have great players. Baiting and punishing, reading opponents (and acting accordingly), character and matchup knowledge all factor in to player skill, with technical ability (reflexive things, power shields, etc, not so much for AT's) on the side. People who played Melee competitively should have those basic things down, and that's why they're still among the best players in Brawl.

If you don't have anyone good to play with offline, then stick with it online, but find a different community to play with lol.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Sure that this doesent have anything to do with the fact that on smashboards you get treated like dirt until your at least half decent?

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
doesn't seem so important to me, most of us already know this already

TheFast

Smash Lord
^ I'm pretty sure his sig is referring to the '08ers who enter MvB debates and talk about the balance between the two games and obviously don't know what they're talking about.

There are people like this everywhere, not just smashboards- heck, not just smash- any game where you have kids without alot of exposure to higher level players, you'll find people who think they're good but suck in the big picture of things. On AiB, I used to go around looking for matches against "good Toon Link" players. I kid you not, every person who answered that request was someone who was constantly trying to D-air me, and I'd punish them hard for it. Seriously, I'd walk under them and they'd use D-air. You'd think that after your 5th time getting grabbed out of a whiffed D-air you'd realize it's not a good strategy to use it so much. Ironically, the best TL (or rather, smartest? since he didn't leave himself open so freakin much) I've played against online wasn't even a TL main >_>

Brawl isn't too young of a game to have great players. Baiting and punishing, reading opponents (and acting accordingly), character and matchup knowledge all factor in to player skill, with technical ability (reflexive things, power shields, etc, not so much for AT's) on the side. People who played Melee competitively should have those basic things down, and that's why they're still among the best players in Brawl.

If you don't have anyone good to play with offline, then stick with it online, but find a different community to play with lol.
There wasn't in melee because of how great professional people where. Playing at an average level in melee compared to professional is like, the comparing boxing babies to Muhammad Ali.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Please help me.
I seriously have no F*cking clue what your post means. Like, just sum it up cause I don't get it. =[

Sky Hazuki

Smash Apprentice
The person he quoted in his sig joined in May 2008 :laugh:

Basically what he's saying is "hey everyone, look at me I'm a huge douche!"

Anyway, I picked up Marth a month ago and played nothing but wifi, and it helped me get second place at a tournament :)

If you play against good enough people (and if the lag is low enough), you can still have great quality matches and improve in the process.
Hey. Eat a D*ck. I switched names, get over yourself.

What I said was true.

If you are going to even kind of judge any body's real skill in the tourney scene, then play offline.

P.S. Look who's join date is before yours.
Does that make me more credible? I guess using your logic, it does.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Both have there right levels of skill but i feel they should be left seperate. I don't think online and offline standings should ever mix. Im sure some people can play online but the thing that Sky is trying to say, correct me if Im wrong, is that not all people can play to there full potential online. However off-line there are no restrictions other that your own abilities. Sky isn't saying online is worthless just that offline is better for determining a players skill level in comparison to another. Online people can use lags and thing close that nature to there advantage, so some old school people see that as something the player doesn't directly control that can give him/her an advantage. This to them is similar to on a non-legalized level. Please correct me if I got this wrong Sky.

unsung-unit2291

Smash Cadet
tl;dr.
10lawlzs

Woody12i2

Smash Rookie
I understand what you mean. A bigger peeve of mine is spamming...even people with no skill can kill you by standing in one spot and using spamming

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.

It appears to me that you take the competitive scene very seriously, as I am sure many other Smash Boardians do, I myself do so as well. But, there is one thing you should understand. You quit online, because it isn't competitive in the area of, fairness. You see, online, unless they are your friends; or you are fighting others who know the rules of competitive play...they will do whatever they want. Let me elaborate.

You somehow end up in Hyrule Temple with 3 other people that you don't know and play against them. They are all Foxes and Falco's, they will spam your *** with lasers until you're at a high enough percentage that they can KO you with little damage to them, and they will continue doing this for the remaining duration of the match, anything to win is what they will do to beat you, regardless of how much better a skill level you have against them.

This is why you quit online, there are certain factors that simply can't be controlled in online gameplay so long as you play against anonymous people and out of a certain set of standardized rules designed to keep the gameplay "fair"(such as banning Hyrule Temple or otherwise disallowing people from spamming lasers with Fox on said stage).

Taking all that aside, this thread has, for lack of a better word; degenerated into a discussion about how much scrubs are lame and suck and not as to why people do not play online. I myself though it was something along the lines of lag(which I suffer) when I clicked the link, but was disappointed when I saw that it was just a rant against scrubs(who can become able to win in online given the right circumstances). It is nothing I haven't seen before. Though I do agree with you folks, scrubs who think they own the Smash world are indeed lame, I think we should look at it from my perspective.

Just as in certain online games, such as Gunz, where people use animation canceling among other tactics to win in their matches(and some think them cheap and need to be banned), in this game, players online will use whatever tactics and techniques at their disposal to win. In this case, Fox, Hyrule temple, turtling while sniping with lasers. Thats simply how the ONLINE game is played, and this must be learned to be lived with; because not everyone will play how you play. So please, do not get fixated or angered at how online is played and simply write it off as the "Advanced AT's of online play" and stick to irl competitive play.

I wrote too much, anyway. Consider yourself lucky you can play online without lag at all, if you can at all; because I sure as hell can't. I'm out.

TheFast

Smash Lord
It appears to me that you take the competitive scene very seriously, as I am sure many other Smash Boardians do, I myself do so as well. But, there is one thing you should understand. You quit online, because it isn't competitive in the area of, fairness. You see, online, unless they are your friends; or you are fighting others who know the rules of competitive play...they will do whatever they want. Let me elaborate.

You somehow end up in Hyrule Temple with 3 other people that you don't know and play against them. They are all Foxes and Falco's, they will spam your *** with lasers until you're at a high enough percentage that they can KO you with little damage to them, and they will continue doing this for the remaining duration of the match, anything to win is what they will do to beat you, regardless of how much better a skill level you have against them.

This is why you quit online, there are certain factors that simply can't be controlled in online gameplay so long as you play against anonymous people and out of a certain set of standardized rules designed to keep the gameplay "fair"(such as banning Hyrule Temple or otherwise disallowing people from spamming lasers with Fox on said stage).

Taking all that aside, this thread has, for lack of a better word; degenerated into a discussion about how much scrubs are lame and suck and not as to why people do not play online. I myself though it was something along the lines of lag(which I suffer) when I clicked the link, but was disappointed when I saw that it was just a rant against scrubs(who can become able to win in online given the right circumstances). It is nothing I haven't seen before. Though I do agree with you folks, scrubs who think they own the Smash world are indeed lame, I think we should look at it from my perspective.

Just as in certain online games, such as Gunz, where people use animation canceling among other tactics to win in their matches(and some think them cheap and need to be banned), in this game, players online will use whatever tactics and techniques at their disposal to win. In this case, Fox, Hyrule temple, turtling while sniping with lasers. Thats simply how the ONLINE game is played, and this must be learned to be lived with; because not everyone will play how you play. So please, do not get fixated or angered at how online is played and simply write it off as the "Advanced AT's of online play" and stick to irl competitive play.

I wrote too much, anyway. Consider yourself lucky you can play online without lag at all, if you can at all; because I sure as hell can't. I'm out.
I didn't quit because it was easy. I quit because SO many bad players will say that they are really good then just be Ike and run around and hit up-smash (no offense to Ike its just something they will do online). I was tire of people thinking they where already one of the best at the game when they know nothing about their character (AKA braggy people). Im not trying to say that bad players are a problem its just they could say "I'm not that good but I'm working on it" enstead they say "I'm already the best, I only lost because we playing Final Destination and not Spear Pillar" (I have heard this very line :urg:).

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I can beat lvl 9's.
I RULE!

But seriously, online games which don't lag (no lag is key) is how you get better. But only if you fight people better than yourself. Losing is the path to learning. Learn from your opponent and learn from your mistakes.
N00bs who think they're really good will eventually realize they are astonishingly far from pro status. Then, if they are dedicated, they'll learn to combo better, anticipate opponent's attacks better, play mindgames better, and all that good stuff. They'll realize that they sucked when they first started bragging.
Just give them time. These smashers will all have a rude awakening. But if it really bothers you so much, why don't you personally give them their rude awakening? ;)

RxIzIt

Smash Cadet
True, someone the other day got mad at me because they said. I used the lag to my advantage... I was like wtf are you talking about. And yea, he made annoying cocky taunts like, outclassed, you suck and some other unnecessary bull. But like the others said, playing IRL is a whole lot different then wifi.

TheFast

Smash Lord
True, someone the other day got mad at me because they said. I used the lag to my advantage... I was like wtf are you talking about. And yea, he made annoying cocky taunts like, outclassed, you suck and some other unnecessary bull. But like the others said, playing IRL is a whole lot different then wifi.
People like that are just as bad if you don't accept the lag as part of the online game than shame on you do what you can to win in the situation you are in cheap and unfair are words only used when there is no counter. Since both players get equal lag, the online situation is fair if you are will to accept that by playing online, lag becomes just another factor of the game.

(Not saying you did abuse the lag to win, just saying there is nothing wrong with doing it besides the fact that it can hurt you later if you try to play IRL.)

Top Bottom