• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why hell is not that bad of a place

zifn15

Smash Cadet
Link to original post: [drupal=3248]Why hell is not that bad of a place[/drupal]

So hell, I'm sure that all of us can agree that it is not a place that we would like to end up (the whole eternal suffering thing kinda makes the whole thing kinda suck). However, why am I saying that this is not a bad place? To answer my own question, I feel that even if we end up going to hell we still experience something and we can still call ourselves human.

What is so fearful to me is the idea that nothing exists after death. If nothing exists after death then not only do all people experience the same fate but after death we do not get the chance to have any experiences afterward. This is what I feel is worse then hell and what scares me more is that this alternative idea of what happens after death is more likely.

discuss or lock if the flames rise.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
To be honest the thought of hell always make me laugh.

As in, the thought of billions of people being tortured by some big red guy.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
If hell actually has layers, I think layer 1 would be pretty awesome. It's basically real life, except you get to hang out with famous dead historians and stuff.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
or the level of hell for those people consumed by lust. They are subjected to eternal nudity where, yeah sure they can have sex all they want but they get sexually harassed and molested even more.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
whether nonexistence is better/worse than existence is unresolvable. This is basically the issue with whether suicide and euthanasia are moral.

I'll just say that Hell would suck b/c I would remember the good old days when I was alive. Then some imp would stab my kidney and I'd realize that Hell sucks.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
or the level of hell for those people consumed by lust. They are subjected to eternal nudity where, yeah sure they can have sex all they want but they get sexually harassed and molested even more.
I don't know whether to cry, laugh or throw up.

:dizzy:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I find it funny that we take a work that was 100 percent meant to be a work of fiction as an interpratation of what hell might be like.

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
that would be the best thing ever

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I find it funny that we take a work that was 100 percent meant to be a work of fiction as an interpratation of what hell might be like.
QFT

The Bible is fiction, this is easily proved and has been countless times. There is no reason to trust the Bible's description of Hell anymore than something I might find in a children's book.

Why would anyone torture you for the rest of your life (or death o_O) for committing sins in your lifetime, if some guy came up to you and said "When I die heaps of red demons are gonna make me suffer in the fiery pits of hell" You'd think he was nuts.

REL38

Smash Lord
QFT

The Bible is fiction, this is easily proved and has been countless times. There is no reason to trust the Bible's description of Hell anymore than something I might find in a children's book.

Why would anyone torture you for the rest of your life (or death o_O) for committing sins in your lifetime, if some guy came up to you and said "When I die heaps of red demons are gonna make me suffer in the fiery pits of hell" You'd think he was nuts.
I thought he was referring to Danté's Inferno

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
QFT

Can you explain why countless people still worship a supreme being for me?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
you are a ghost after dying and hell would be you wandering around the earth not knowing you're dead(so the living to you are the dead; watch the movie "the others"), where you are, why you are doing things (residual hauntings) and other things.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
The bible is wrong, because it was writen by man. People may compare it to the game of phine I disagree, I believe we couldn't truely understand God if we meet him. You should explain that better next time.

hey grim, I may be recording some pichu matches now that I can record again, pity I doubt I will ever be able to combo decently. miss people in the pichu boards makes me sad.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
The bible is wrong, because it was writen by man. People may compare it to the game of phine I disagree, I believe we couldn't truely understand God if we meet him. You should explain that better next time.

hey grim, I may be recording some pichu matches now that I can record again, pity I doubt I will ever be able to combo decently. miss people in the pichu boards makes me sad.
You BELIEVE, but not everyone's beliefs are correct.

End of story. inb4lock

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
I'm a Pagan, so I really cannot say that it is bad, good, or real.

I think if you are that evil enough to enter Hell, it would be fine and suit you well. You get to see the misery and pain of others, which is what you wanted anyway.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
QFT

Where's the Bible's description of hell?

Please tell me you don't mean the game...

And the Bible is more widely known than Dante's Inferno and spreads the same message from what I can tell.

If you're gonna be commenting on the Bible you have the obligation to be educated about it.

Dante's Inferno is an image of hell based on a very particular interpretation of the Bible in terms of life values and in no way shape or form references to any biblical description of hell.

Same with Paradise Lost, another book which people frequently put up on the same tier in terms of Christian belief. What's next, talking about how Christians believe that an intelligent Lion led the fight against the a which that forced eternal winter on the world?

If you can't tell the difference between ideas in Christian Literature and what is in the Bible, you have no business discussing christianity in any way shape or form, since it's obvious that your opinions are based solely on hearsay. Study up a little on Christianity, form opinions on your own, and THEN decide whether it's good or bad, otherwise you're no different from the religious zealots who you presumably despise.

zifn15

Smash Cadet
Guus, to answer your question, sure maybe being in that final state isn't so bad but the threat of not being able to experience anything ever again scares the s*** out of me. Our capacity you understand the world around us and to have experiences, regardless of whether they are positive or negative, is part of what makes us human. To lose that when we die means that I no longer get the opportunity to be human.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
When you think about it, the very concept of hell makes no real sense.

Humans feel pain because the body is telling the brain to keep away from danger. The body wants to keep away from danger to avoid dying. If you're already dead, there's no real reason to feel pain at all. The inverse is also true for heaven.

I'd like to personally think reincarnation of some sort is the only really logical form of afterlife. The human consciousness is a strange thing, but since nothing can really be 100% destroyed, surely our consciousness must go through some sort of cycle just like everything else. Exactly where it goes will probably be an eternal mystery. ¯\(°_o)/¯

D

Deleted member

I'm a Christiain and I would absolutely hate to go to hell.

Anyone who wants to dare think that hell is not a bad place might as well think again, no offense.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
QFT

He definitely wasn't talking about the Bible...

He was referring to Dante's Inferno.

Hell might be a cool place. Maybe if Teran was there or something. Heaven would get boring after a while.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If Hell was "everlasting darkness where we are conscious all the time, thinking and lamenting over the sins we commited purposefully while we were alive, and realizing that because of that we're not in heaven where we could truly be happy, then yes, I think Hell would suck a lot.

Or, if hell was a giant wall where humans were glued to, and searing hot flames lick your body for all eternity, and you're not allowed to go unconscious to escape the pain and blistering of flesh and eyes, it would suck as well. And to make it worse, if your body would go through the same process as Prometheus' liver (each night after a buzzard eats it, it regenerates, and he never dies because he's immortal) and regenerate, making you go through the whole process of suffering your perfect skin being charred by searing flames, Hell would suck even more.

§witch

Smash Lord
Hell might be a cool place. Maybe if Teran was there or something. Heaven would get boring after a while.
Oh he will be, don't even worry about that.

Why would the devil want to do what God wants him to do? Hell will be a party, only the ******y, boring Church types will be in heaven.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
When you think about it, the very concept of hell makes no real sense.

Humans feel pain because the body is telling the brain to keep away from danger. The body wants to keep away from danger to avoid dying. If you're already dead, there's no real reason to feel pain at all. The inverse is also true for heaven.

I'd like to personally think reincarnation of some sort is the only really logical form of afterlife. The human consciousness is a strange thing, but since nothing can really be 100% destroyed, surely our consciousness must go through some sort of cycle just like everything else. Exactly where it goes will probably be an eternal mystery. ¯\(°_o)/¯
False. Our conscience is not a "thing". It's the production of our brain's functions. When our brain dies (aka, we die), our brain can't send these signals you call a conscience anymore.

Ergo, YOU HAVE NO SOUL.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oh he will be, don't even worry about that.

Why would the devil want to do what God wants him to do? Hell will be a party, only the ******y, boring Church types will be in heaven.
Lol, that's what you think. Me? I fully expect to make sure that it's interesting up there.

A lot of "boring church types" actually aren't that good people.

False. Our conscience is not a "thing". It's the production of our brain's functions. When our brain dies (aka, we die), our brain can't send these signals you call a conscience anymore.

Ergo, YOU HAVE NO SOUL.
You're making the assumption that said function is the only existence of said moral center. Maybe it's a reflection of something else.

Furthermore, non sequitur, your entire post was about conscience and you randomly inserted soul at the end.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The idea of heaven in itself is a utopian paradise and we all know utopia's with perfect societies are pretty much impossible and even it were I suggest you familiarize yourself with dystopian literature and see why it's not perfect. You can't achieve perfection and if you somehow magically can imagine how boring life would be.

you are a ghost after dying and hell would be you wandering around the earth not knowing you're dead(so the living to you are the dead; watch the movie "the others"), where you are (you aren't familiar with your surroundings but you're lacking the ability to "learn" anything but only know what your memory had beforehand so you're always lost and confused), why you are doing things (residual hauntings) and other things.
That's what I think "hell" is

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I LOL'd at the ignorant people around the end of the first page and beginning of the second, but things seem more rational and sensible now.

First things off, I'm just gonna say I'm a Christian.

Secondly, I'm not a ******. I'm not going to be some ignorant fool who says "no, u guiz r wrong bcuz im rite bcuz i no dat g0d is nut r3al bcuz i just dun berieve it n i red it in a b00k once/my frndz agree wit me." I personally believe everyone is entitled to their belief, and, as a Christian, God's will and plan will be carried out whether it's to have someone believe or not. Of course, He created free will, too.

That aside, from what I've learned, the only true distinction between heaven and hell is that heaven is a place consumed with His presence while hell is the other extremity, a place devoid of God's presence. Whatever this may mean is up to people's interpretation.

Pleather

Smash Cadet
I don't believe in an afterlife, but disregarding that, it's really hard to compare going to hell and permanently losing your conscious. (By the way guys, just a friendly "now you know" sort of thing, conscience != conscious, conscience is like your moral sense, and conscious is like being aware, just to clear things up).

On one hand, eternal suffering would just plain suck, and on the other, knowing that absolutely EVERYTHING that's ever happened, anywhere, anytime, is completely negligible after you die is hard to deal with. Of course, eternal nothingness only bothers me while I'm still something, and hell is eternal something, albeit suffering.

Top Bottom