• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why exactly is Roy considered "worse than Marth"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I get the point, but Roy vs. Zelda and Roy vs. Falco are pretty much even, maybe a little on the opponents side. Zelda has small rang, and her projectile sucks. Falco can combo Roy, but Roy can chaingrab and juggle Falco. and Falco vs. Marth isn't terrible either, don't pretend like Falco doesn't stand a chance.
I'm trying to think of a match worse for Roy than Falco and I can't do it.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Wouldnt sheik be worse? I mean dont get me wrong, I dont know roy.

But i'd imagine roy vs falco is just getting past falco's lasers, kinda like everybody else has to do.

Roy vs sheik is like... dont get grabbed. Or hit off the stage. or anything. CC d.tilt all day and pray.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
cc dilt what...dsmash?

most people wont tilt at low percents

maybe dash attack but that doesnt cover many options XD

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Falco only has any trouble with Roy on FD. As Falco, you ban FD and then **** him however you please on any other stage, it's pretty funny as long as you're not Roy.

Then again, I lost to Sethalon @ pound 3, but I'm gonna chalk that one up to him being noticeably better than me at the time.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
if you don't lose the MM, it doesn't matter if you don't have any money

also, LOL at whoever said roy was one of the most broken FE lords... if you mean brokenly bad, then yeah, he's up there

Is Roy not the worst lord? Or is that Leif? I don't remember. Was Leif terrible or really broken?

What about Eliwood, how was he? 7 and 2 I still need to play. I hear Hector was broken. Ike is a god, Marth is great, especially in his remake.

Roy's are boy

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
if you don't lose the MM, it doesn't matter if you don't have any money

also, LOL at whoever said roy was one of the most broken FE lords... if you mean brokenly bad, then yeah, he's up there
Ah yes you're right.

Anyways...i cant go MM him because i can't go to wherever he wants to meet up because i cant drive or get any form of transportation.
If you haven't heard im 12....
so yeah....

Anyways, i hope the person who made this topic now understands why roy is considered worse than marth, because the discussion is getting way off topic xD

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Wouldnt sheik be worse? I mean dont get me wrong, I dont know roy.

But i'd imagine roy vs falco is just getting past falco's lasers, kinda like everybody else has to do.

Roy vs sheik is like... dont get grabbed. Or hit off the stage. or anything. CC d.tilt all day and pray.
I don't know.

Roy has a pretty good crouch canceling game, which would come in handy when being hit by Sheik's dash attack. So Roy has a pretty easy method of getting his down tilts off. Plus, I'm guessing Roy's weight would make him a little more tricky to combo then, let's say Marth. I will admit that once he is off the stage, he better focus. One well placed senbon/needle and its over.

Its just killing people with Roy is what will be his downfall. Sheik, and others, can probably take off a stock and do heavy damage on his next stock before they themselves lose a stock, considering both players are even.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
>_> I'd have used Roy vs. Sheik as an option, but the problem is that Marth vs. Sheik is statistically in Sheik's favor. >_> So yeah...I mean...Marth does TONS better and says "Eff yo statistics!!!" but y'know >_>.

Also...I don't know, I've seen different...I could have been wrong. Of course...according to people, I am. I could care less, though. Lyn is my all time favorite from FE. ^_^

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Roy is one of the worst lords to ever grace fire emblem. He, basically, spends half of the game underleveled and being a dead weight. Useless because he is to weak to inflict damage to the opponents, and too fragile to take hits.

Sure, he gets a powerful sword, but he does not get it until the last chapters of the game, it has VERY limited uses and he is too underleveled by then to use it to its full potential.

If anything, Roy is one, if not, the WORST fire emblem lord to grace the series.
In FE6 everybody is underleveled, which is exactly what makes the game tough. Roy could also heal himself with his sword and makes an excellent hero. There are worse people. Lyn, for example, does not spend the game underleveled, but still sucks.

hmmmm...how about Sheik, ICs, and Luigi? seriously, get past the lasers (which everybody needs to do) and keep Falco under constant pressure by CGs and juggles. plus Roy absolutely gimps Falco's recovery. counter if he's coming right at you, stay a little back and charge flare blade if you can't reach him, jump and flare blade if he's trying for the platform above you, Dsmash if he hits you with the side-B, and did I mention that both the flare blade and the Dtilt have downward hitboxes, so if he tries to sweetspot with the side-B (illusion) you'll get him just at the edge.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
>_> wait...why is everyone saying my FE favorites suck all of a sudden. Lyn FAR from sucked, btw. She was broken beyond all compare. Lyn alone was NEVER a problem.

Also...the Roy/Falco Matchup is still a pain in the butt. The fact of the matter is that Roy is just so comboable. Also...I think Falco's recovery being gimpable is pretty obvious, xD. The Lasers...getting past them is still a pain for Roy....and once you get past them, hope that Falco isn't on some DSW, Eggm, Mango, stuff. Just like Falco can win vs. Marth, but chances are, Marth is going to handle Falco.

pockyD

Smash Legend
roy is "underleveled" because of his absurdly late promotion - that is to say, he stays underleveled because he CAN'T level, whereas after like chapter 7 or so (whichever one has zealot treck and noah and is one of the most retardedly hard FE chapters I've ever played if you want to save everyone), all the other characters are adequately leveled or maybe even overleveled (depending on how you choose to play) from there through the end of the game

metashinryu

Smash Ace
>_> wait...why is everyone saying my FE favorites suck all of a sudden. Lyn FAR from sucked, btw. She was broken beyond all compare. Lyn alone was NEVER a problem.

what the... she didnt sucked? wtf that biatch nevere did more than 10 dmg on the fire dragon(last boss)for me and she was lv 20 with sol katty equipped -_- and 0% on crits is LAME for a swordmaster-like lord atleast on a final boss(hawkeye did the job btw)

Oracle

Smash Master
I don't understand Sakurai's logic.
"Well the game naturally rewards you for spacing your moves well, so lets reward Marth EVEN MOVE!!! And I think it's also a good idea to punish Roy for spacing because he has t3h ph1r3

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
XD, what metashinryu said. I liked Lyn, and I thought her crit looked really kool, but she was frankly junk, with a long time to promote, and a defense that even a thief could 1HKO. I personally was not big on Eilwood (I don't like Rapiers), but I had a lot of fun with Hector and Marcus in that game (Marcus leveled so fast and was in the beginning broken. I love Erk, Canas, Wil, Dent, and Oswin too).

Skrah

Smash Ace
"Well the game naturally rewards you for spacing your moves well, so lets reward Marth EVEN MOVE!!! And I think it's also a good idea to punish Roy for spacing because he has t3h ph1r3
I don't think Sakurai had the capacity of thinking that far ahead of melee's metagame. He was more like "lolz first game huge success! make another game with more nintendo characters and extra **** nobody cares about and more money to the bank!"

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
"Roy is better since he is unlocked later" - A true quote someone once told me....

gotta love smash noobs.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
^^^
lol.

yeah seriously, they need someone else to take the place of sakuri.
He did great with ssb and ssbm.
but then he just took a completely different path with brawl.
We need moar "glitches" lol

metashinryu

Smash Ace
anyone can guess why roy is far worse than marth whit this reply

roys sword is longer(it may seem that isnt but IT IS) and still is crap because spacing well is 50% of a sword based char, thing that roy cannot do because his sweetspot is in his center part of sword(and damage in his tip is lame,so is his knockback) and why marth is so darn godly.

yeah roy is a fastfaller and(mess up his comeback) can shffl fast as hell, but it earns a shiit because he doesnt stretch his aerials enough to hit with the center of the blade unless you are inside the enemy thing that they always like if they dont have a weapon(fox,falco,SHEIK,etc...)and that can be cced to hell and back.

marth is a floaty but his aerials hit 70% of the time with his sweetspot and have enough stun/knockback to follow with another shffled aerial, thing that with roy is almost worthless .

so marth is far better that roy but you know:anyone can prefer a char to other that fits his playing style:laugh:

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I know right? before Brawl, the Roy boards were fine with accepting that Roy sucks and Marth is broken. but then the Brawl noobs realized Brawl sucks and came here.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
why can't pichu get any love?(i know because the boards for him are dead other than me). but how many parts of his sword has a different knock-back and if that didn't make scenrs. or how many parts does roy's sword have? and were are they?

metashinryu

Smash Ace
pichu is not liked because he hurts himself on every attack and stop posting things of pichu on roy boards he doesnt matter here, and roys sword has(i think)two parts the tip(lame damage) and the center(double damage than tip)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
sorry, i was thinking some how roy could start close and slowly work his way farther away. and some of the hits knock them in different places EX. dair and nice dragon

metashinryu

Smash Ace
roys dair is believed as not a spike but it is(i can maje it spike by jumping from under and executing dair) but you will most like sd yourself(thanx for the compliment btw =D)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
your welcome. i saw his dair can hit in 3 diffrent ways. and remember not all spikes are for a kill, take yoshi(or DK) he has 2 spikes but you will never see a yoshi use it just for a kill, he combos with it.

and if you miss the spike on ground and send them upwards you could counter or uptilt. just an idea because his dair should be used for something

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
I was under the impression Roy's dair can be easily meteor canceled... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's a spike.

And @ the girlfriend thing, that's not true. In the Fire Emblem games, it is explicitly stated that Marth gets together with Caeda, whereas it's only implied Roy and Lilina get married. Lol.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Roy's dair is NOT a spike. it is a weak meteor smash that is easily meteor canceled. they have to be around 150% for it to really work like a spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom