• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why exactly is Roy considered "worse than Marth"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningRoy9

Smash Cadet
Roy is the same as Marth(or should I say Marth is the same as Roy), except with a stronger B attack. He also has fire, Marth doesn't. Because of that, his attacks have more stun time. They both have about the same speed. His attacks have awesome priority(whatever that means). i think Marth has less range than Roy(I could be wrong). Roy is cooler, stronger, and not *** like Marth. at least Roy can get a girlfriend. Marth is just a copy of Roy. So why is he considered "better than Roy" when that isn't true?

ROY'S OUR BOY!!!!

S

smash brawl player 99021

loooooooool funny
the gf part not the fact that you dont know why hes worse
I think it's that he's heavier and combo'ed easily

milkieee

Smash Journeyman
Roy cannot pull off a Double-FAir"-Wall" either
so an important combo-start-up is missing
he's juz too heavy, so he gets comboed rlly. easy, he's
much slower than marth if it comes to hitlags so his whole
movement as well as his combo-ability r rlly. limited

his grab-range is much lesser that marths and his throws r
much easier to DI from (IMO ^^)
His recovery sucks lot more than marths does, cuz of his weight and
his weak Up-B (for someone falling that fast, the Up-B goes too less vertically)

yeah ur other reasons like that girlfriend-thing 'n stuff, juz
thinkin' u'r a kiddie, which has to stfu

LightningRoy9

Smash Cadet
Marth needs to get nerfed. I wish his B attacks would do 3-5% damage, the rest of his attacks do 1% damage, his sword is as short as Toon Link's, hes muck slower and he doesnt have "tipped attacks"

Either that, or just take him out and bring back Roy.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
marth and roy have amazing range

with roy's awesome range you get absolutely nothing unless you ignore it and go close

with marth's awesome range you get high knockback and awesome damage

and fire sucks, just look at bowser charizard and, to a much lesser extent, ike

also in during trolled

LightningRoy9

Smash Cadet
Ike doesnt suck, neither does Charizard. BUT, I agree 70% on Bowser(even if I do play as him sometimes)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
not brawl and marth's sword range is the added tipper and roy's sword is longer but it has least range (figure that one out) and it's really hard to spike with roy and if your sheild breaks roy stands there the longest

LightningRoy9

Smash Cadet
I thought mr Game and watch stood there the longest. ill have to test this again. It really does seem like Marth has slightly longer range. Hes such a ****** :(

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
1.Marth is faster.
2.Marth is stronger because the tip of his sword is the strongest part, thus making spacing a whole lot better.
3.Marth can combo more easily.
4.Marth can chaingrab more than roy (i think)
5.Marth has more range.
6.Marth has a better edge guard.

I can list a whole lot more...
not to mention:

MARTH IS GAY.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wait pichu has most of that stuff on pikachu
faster,stronger,combos,edge game, grab game,can't be chained by the ice climbers and pika has weight and a little bit more range with a few moves and a bit better recovery and they call be crazy for playing as pichu

roy was never ready pushed to far

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
wait pichu has most of that stuff on pikachu
faster,stronger,combos,edge game, grab game,can't be chained by the ice climbers and pika has weight and a little bit more range with a few moves and a bit better recovery and they call be crazy for playing as pichu

roy was never ready pushed to far
not to mention that pichu gets killed 50% faster than pikachu

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
so fox can be killed fast and if the pichu is killed fast they dishonnor pichu, because they basicly suck and bowser can be owned faster

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
so fox can be killed fast and if the pichu is killed fast they dishonnor pichu, because they basicly suck and bowser can be owned faster
1. fox can be killed fast only if:
-Edge-guarded
-chaingrabbed
-bad DI

2. "and if the pichu is killed fast they dishonnor pichu, because they basicly suck"
How can you suck and dishonor pichu if you kill the pichu fast?

3. bowser can only be "owned faster" if:
-Getting combo'd to death
-Getting edge-guard (His recovery isn't the greatest)

Pichu can get killed at low percents and his some of his moves hurt him, resorting to the pichu using moves such as nair,bair,uair,usmash,b-up,jab, and all tilts. Even though thats all he basically needs, there are other moves that pichu needs that hurt him and over time can get his percent pretty high. After Pichu is at like...75%+, you can guarantee that the pichu will die from any move that can knock anyone off the stage, in this case, kill pichu off the stage.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
1) Marth>>>>>>>>>>>Roy in terms of playability no questions asked
2) Get off the subject of Pichu. who the **** cares? and BTW, no Pichu is not stronger than Pikachu.
3) let's let this thread die

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
let's agree to disagree but really test the smashes if you don't believe me and i was using it as an EX.
my last for this thread. get some mod to kill this

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I like how people keep using the Marth is so-called gay crap like its a negative that matters in a video game, cause if it does matter, and Marth is STILL better than Roy, then Roy must REALLY suck compared to a fairy...

D

Deleted member

1.Marth is faster.
2.Marth is stronger because the tip of his sword is the strongest part, thus making spacing a whole lot better.
3.Marth can combo more easily.
4.Marth can chaingrab more than roy (i think)
5.Marth has more range.
6.Marth has a better edge guard.
1. Roy is faster, due to his faster falling speed, and he can link more attacks together.
4. Roy can actually do true chaingrabs longer than marth.

as for the game, marth has a girl, it's roy that doesn't.

and roy's character model is based on a generic female sword user in his own game.

roy has no recovery, no reliable kill combos, loses hard to crouching, loses hard to camping because he has no moves that stay out, gets chaingrabbed MUCH longer than most of the cast (into a kill move) and can't kill floaty characters at all unless they LET you fsmash them. or you upthrow @ 200%

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
1. Roy is faster, due to his faster falling speed, and he can link more attacks together.

and roy's character model is based on a generic female sword user in his own game.

roy has no recovery, no reliable kill combos, loses hard to crouching, loses hard to camping because he has no moves that stay out, gets chaingrabbed MUCH longer than most of the cast (into a kill move) and can't kill floaty characters at all unless they LET you fsmash them. or you upthrow @ 200%
Marth is in a relationship? Really? :confused:

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Roy has a lot of characters that he can go out with if you increase the relationships between them two (note this only works with females). also Roy's attacks are all slower and and Marth's chaingrab does more damage per throw and works better on the spacies. plus he can actually link it to something other than a terrible Utilt (which only works a couple of times) or a difficult and not altogether useful SHFFLed Uair juggle. just lock this Umbreon.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady

When i said chaingrab more, i meant more characters.

And no..roy is defiantly NOT faster. Even if his falling speed is faster, it does not mean his metagame is faster. His moves have more lag and you can do only so many aerials that actually link together. The longest "chain of attacks" I've seen for roy is not as long...or as fast, as marth's longest "chain of attacks".

Mokumo

Smash Ace

And no..roy is defiantly NOT faster. Even if his falling speed is faster, it does not mean his metagame is faster. His moves have more lag and you can do only so many aerials that actually link together. The longest "chain of attacks" I've seen for roy is not as long...or as fast, as marth's longest "chain of attacks".
Roy falls faster; I'm pretty sure he's the 4th fastest faller in the game, and he is also lighter than marth, but i don't know if that has anything to do with his speed. But since he is a faster faller that means his shffl is faster. Then again, Marth has one of the longest and most effective wavedashes in the game, which adds to his speed.

Honestly, marth is just able to do more things than roy. You can't jump off the edge and do those ridiculous, disgusting edgeguards with roy like you can with marth. too bad :dizzy:

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
MM my Roy, I'll teach you what fast means.
I probably live too far away from you.

And anyways....you and your "fast Roy" doesn't mean anything to my Samus.
As far as I'm concerned, even my Samus is faster than your Roy.
Now that that's clear, please do not post worthless posts that have no contribution to the topic and do not start a stupid internet fight. Thanks.

On topic: Another reason why Roy is considered worse than Marth is matchups. Clearly, marth wins more matchups than Roy, putting him higher in the tier list. And no...the tier list doesn't necessarily say that one character is better than another...it just list who wins the most tourny and anything related to the fact of who has the better chance of winning. Yes in a sense, it does list who basically wins over who, but anyone can beat anyone with any character. The point is, Roy is worse than Marth based on the tier list, and many other statistics and facts, but that doesn't mean a particular Roy player can't win more tournies and matches than a particular Marth player.

LightningRoy9

Smash Cadet
I didn't know Roy was based on a female character model. I also didn't know Marth was in a relationship with a GIRL :-O I haven't played Any FE games.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches

Erm, Umbreon is right. Roy IS technically faster than Marth because of this fast fall speed, and lower short hop. Marth is defiantly the overall better character though.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Roy has faster dashes and SHFFLs, but Marth has faster attacks. Marth can do something called combos, but hey who needs that when you have teh phire?

let's just come to a conclusion

Marth>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roy

but in terms of manliness Roy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marth

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yeah...all in all...Umbreon gave the correct amount of facts. Handsockpuppet pretty much sumed it up.

Dude....do yourself a favor. Play someone with Marth...then play them with Roy. You'll notice that you have a MUCH easier time winning with Marth. I learned this at LOW level play. Roy...in essence is cooler, and probably one of the most broken FE main characters ever. Marth DOES have a g/f....sadly, xD.

Let's look at a matchup: Zelda vs. Roy (let's go low tier, here.) Roy gets his balls ripped off by Zelda...end of story. Zelda vs. Marth- Marth pretty much slices off Zelda's chest, bends her over, and says, "You're mind now..."

Let's look at another matchup: Falco vs. Roy (High tier matchup) Yeah....Falco pretty much says, "Guns are better than swords" and ends the match. Marth goes, "Your lasers are no match for my tipper." Bends him over and says "I'm having bird tonight."

I mean...I could go on...but I think you get the point.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Try all of Marth's aerials >>>>>>>> Roy's. Marth's utilt and ftilt are better than Roy's (arguable the downtilt too, although Roy's dtilt is quite good). Everyone already knows why Marth fsmash is good. Roy's is powerful too, but it's harder to hit with because usually by the time the opponent is close enough to get the sweetspot, they've hit you... B moves are about the same, although I'd say Roy's are slightly better, with the exception of the up-b. Marth's up-b = better recovery and stronger move.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Yeah...all in all...Umbreon gave the correct amount of facts. Handsockpuppet pretty much sumed it up.

Dude....do yourself a favor. Play someone with Marth...then play them with Roy. You'll notice that you have a MUCH easier time winning with Marth. I learned this at LOW level play. Roy...in essence is cooler, and probably one of the most broken FE main characters ever. Marth DOES have a g/f....sadly, xD.

Let's look at a matchup: Zelda vs. Roy (let's go low tier, here.) Roy gets his balls ripped off by Zelda...end of story. Zelda vs. Marth- Marth pretty much slices off Zelda's chest, bends her over, and says, "You're mind now..."

Let's look at another matchup: Falco vs. Roy (High tier matchup) Yeah....Falco pretty much says, "Guns are better than swords" and ends the match. Marth goes, "Your lasers are no match for my tipper." Bends him over and says "I'm having bird tonight."

I mean...I could go on...but I think you get the point.
I get the point, but Roy vs. Zelda and Roy vs. Falco are pretty much even, maybe a little on the opponents side. Zelda has small rang, and her projectile sucks. Falco can combo Roy, but Roy can chaingrab and juggle Falco. and Falco vs. Marth isn't terrible either, don't pretend like Falco doesn't stand a chance.

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman

Roy is one of the worst lords to ever grace fire emblem. He, basically, spends half of the game underleveled and being a dead weight. Useless because he is to weak to inflict damage to the opponents, and too fragile to take hits.

Sure, he gets a powerful sword, but he does not get it until the last chapters of the game, it has VERY limited uses and he is too underleveled by then to use it to its full potential.

If anything, Roy is one, if not, the WORST fire emblem lord to grace the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom