• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play your character?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
i would say amsah is but the other two r falling behind a little (imo no offense u two could still kick my *** :)). and kk is definitely above them and would be the best ntsc sheik if m2k stopped
Drephen retired and barely plays. When he did play, he played bizarro Sheik anyway and it wasn't something practical to emulate because most of what made his Sheik successful was his ability to break down the game into an RPS system, and then use that system effectively. I don't think this is something most players can emulate, and generally I think there are gayer things in this game anyway. His style worked for him, and he was really good at using it, but I don't think most players could pull it off. And I wouldn't even recommend they try to.

Tope is really good and is still improving, but I feel he just builds upon things he's already good at. Which is fine, but it's not conducive for developing "the character".

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I play Doc because his moveset is hilarious (like the cape) and he's a fun character to use.
His movement feels amazingly smooth and natural.
My favorite thing in this game is probably the wavedash, and Doc has the best one for me in terms of wavedash length and speed.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I originally used Bowser because I just liked the character, but then I decided maybe I should use a good character, so I picked Marth.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
in 2004 i picked up marth to counter my cousin's sheik (lol) and played black marth long before i saw videos of competitive smash (because Mask of Zorro is a freaking amazing movie :awesome: )

back then i considered bowser my best character and mewtwo my second best. I'm still known for mewtwo even if my marth is much better (and bowser has been long since regulated to hilarious friendlies)

i picked up sheik seriously after seeing m2k vs kage\darkrain genesis 1.

I started playing fox because someone told me that it'd make my fingers faster

and falcon because he's the best friendly character in the game period lol

\life story

:phone:

Max?

Smash Champion
Mario was the first character I used the day I bought Smash 64 in 1999. I moved to Melee in 2005 when I got to college and tried using Mario, only to realize pretty much immediately that Doc was better and won more (thus he was more fun). Kinda just stuck with him after that. Now I continue to use him because he's the character I've logged in the most hours with (tho that is starting to change) and he's the character I enjoy using the most in a tournament environment.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Because my friend played Marth and he told me to pick Roy. Now I play him and YLink because YLink has projectiles and my friends hate when I use characters with projectiles (he's also faster than Link).

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uhm... as a joke originally... then I realized he was pretty fun and didn't seem as bad as everyone said he was. He really just feels more comfortable for me than any other character in the game, even if he isn't that great. I have more fun using him than other characters.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Azen and Taj.

Plus, Marth has a super satisfying moveset. His kill moves feel amazing (tipper/dair) and his dashdance is smooth and elegant. Gimping is also really enjoyable.

:bee:

:Tally Hoes

Banned via Administration
I first picked the ice climbers beacause how amazingly neat they were and I liked their height. Also bair edge guards feel smooth.

:phone:

foshio

Smash Journeyman
I play fox because when I was 9(playing smash64) I really liked my dog. Fox was the character that most resembled my dog...

Lovage

Smash Hero
fox is ****ing cool i wouldn't want to play this game as much if it wasn't for FOX

jk other characters are pretty tight too

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
I always kinda felt like falco was my favorite character but when I saw videos of Zhu I just started focusing on him until I saw Axe's pikachu and picked that up as well.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I play Puff cause my irl friends who once thought they were good at smash bros (until I played them, most of them played brawl but I converted them into playing melee now) were hella scrubs so I just rest punished everything stupid they did until they stopped doing things that could be easily punished. I eventually moved past stupid utilt->rest combos and bair spam and became rather good, relatively, with puff. My old main Sheik is still a pretty solid secondary though. Now all my friends play super cautiously and defensively, which does mess up my puff but ****s them up anytime I go an aggressive character lol.

Peach is by far the easiest character to play. No tech skill required. Comboes are less needed compared to the rest of the top 8 (aside from Jigglypuff). Doesn't get comboed well and lives to forever. Difficult to punish and her punishes are like down smash (+ a little extra stuff)

Against the non top 8, I play Zelda because she has toes. They're like Knees you can space/spam. She's hopeless vs good characters

Spyro

Smash Ace
He’s the best but hardest character to play. There’s a lot more room to mess up playing Fox opposed to someone else. I don’t see how he’s OP.

Spyro

Smash Ace
You don’t have to be really fancy but you do have to be really consistent, more so than other characters. If Fox is OP then why has there not been a Fox who has won a national tournament?

Battlecow

Play to Win
I played falcon because I played falcon in 64 because falcon punching people had such a huge impact on me when I first started playing that that rumbly JOLT of satisfaction as it connected and the screen shook flipped all sorts of freudian switches in me and I would literally have dreams about it and go around mumbling "Falcon... PUNCH" under my breath and grunt. It was weird.

Then I realized that I lost with falcon and I could win with peach. And I like winning, so I played peach.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
I picked up the spacies solely because I loved their victory music jingle thing. SF64 nostalgia and being extremely catchy and whatnot. I figured if I got good with spacies, I would win more, and the more I would hear that tune.

Also, "Mission Complete"

Top Bottom