• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people think FD should be a CP?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Every static stage should either be starter* or banned.

Either the stage is a fair test or it isn't. If there is character imbalance on one or more of the stages put in the game, (i.e., which we keep in the game; they don't do anything we HAVE to remove them completely for,) then that's how the game is.
Only something which makes the stage anti-competitive, I say because of that condition "static," could remove the 'presumption of fairness' which game elements are given in the Competitive Method. But such a case would have to go the whole nine yard and put the stage into banned. Either the scenario is fair or it isn't.

So, corollary: Final Destination is a starter, and sadly for people who hate ICs (me included), it must stay there. (Until such time as it might be shown ICs or some other character break the stage fully.)
To start putting even static stages out of basic stage status because of how our theory thinks matchups go, in the "bad to deny as Even, but not silly bad" range, is too volatile. It damages Smash as among its Fighter peers.

I want to further say that every stage which changes only on a precise, and completely scripted schedule, should either be starter or banned. (Static stages would count as particulars of this.)
They are, every bit as static stages, completely predictable, studiable (not a word?), knowable, and this means everything that happens there, a player can, through prior practice, be fully prepared for.

Stages which, rather, change on a precise schedule, but with points of random choice (basically, Pictochat) fall outside this, as a person cannot reasonably exhaust study of how the stage will play out. That is the principle I defend this by; that I think the set of all the stages, which a player can study exhaustively on their time, in reasonable time, in completion, are basic parts of the game and the set procedure should give them the highest regard.

*clarification
: Actually, by 'starter' I don't mean 'starter' in the sense of our current ruleset; but rather, if there were some ruleset with some set procedure for stages, whichever category is the "primary" one of stages, the one with the most freedom for players to use and force to be used, is what I mean. Since that condition would probably include "this stage can be played in a game 1", 'starter' seems a good term, but I don't necessarily agree with striking as it is, the CP ban system, etc.

I say nothing about a stage like Pictochat. Understand that the above is not to say that any other stage necessarily must not be starter; I'm confident Yoshi's Island deserves starter, and actually all I'd have to do is drop the "schedule" condition to get it in there too, but I don't want to claim so much just now.
I do say that Delfino should be a basic stage, or banned. And the above is my reasoning.

This position does, I notice, commit me to Jungle Japes being starter or banned. This is only a problem between me and (some subset of) people who think Japes lopsides some character matchups. Well, if my principle has merit, I think the conclusion there would be that Japes has to be banned to stop that overcentralizing. But I would say Japes does not have overcentralization to the degree that needs banning, unless someone showed me that it really is overcentralizing, in which case, I'd say it should be banned, and would plead an objector to my position for why the facts mean the stage should be moved out of starter legitimacy to a middle ground.
I haven't seen a lot of upset about MLG having Japes banned. Maybe I'm out of date and Japes is already out of CP for people anyway? Such a one as mine might be comfort for those unsatisfied for lack of a 'hard line' against the stage.

In any case, the above principle is a hard line in both directions - IN (for all), or OUT (entirely) - which I think makes it (the argument for it) stronger. It speaks to absolutes, which we like to believe exist.

*~*~*~
I really think the notion of "X most fair stages" for our starter lineup needs to be poofed like so much smoke it is. I'm confident any talk of "fair to characters, overall", "fair to matchups, in a broad view", can have the nonsense in that language revealed through dialogue. If I see anyone making the definitions, I will respond.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Errr, there is no such thing as a "fair test", every stage changes MUs to a greater or less degree, and is therefore unfair.

The challenge with the starter stage list is therefore to limit this effect by giving a set of stages to strike that results in a null overall effect.

For example, our previous list heavily favored linear characters (ex. Diddy, Falco).

FD is probably the most polarizing starter stage, with MAYBE defino edging it out.

That's why FD is only a starter in the current stagelist, because it's the only stagelist where it belongs as a starter.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Errr, there is no such thing as a "fair test", every stage changes MUs to a greater or less degree, and is therefore unfair.

The challenge with the starter stage list is therefore to limit this effect by giving a set of stages to strike that results in a null overall effect.

For example, our previous list heavily favored linear characters (ex. Diddy, Falco).

FD is probably the most polarizing starter stage, with MAYBE defino edging it out.

That's why FD is only a starter in the current stagelist, because it's the only stagelist where it belongs as a starter.
Did I miss the part where we decided a stage being polarizing (i.e. people love it or hate it) had anything to do with how good of a starter it was?

FD is actually better against the characters people complain about it being broken for with the exception of Ice Climbers. Giving Diddy, Snake, and Falco platforms makes them infinitely more difficult to approach.

T-block

B2B TST
Did I miss the part where we decided a stage being polarizing (i.e. people love it or hate it) had anything to do with how good of a starter it was?

FD is actually better against the characters people complain about it being broken for with the exception of Ice Climbers. Giving Diddy, Snake, and Falco platforms makes them infinitely more difficult to approach.
Apparently you did... in choosing the first stage, the goal is to ultimately arrive on a stage that is as even as possible for the given matchup. It follows that our main criterion for a starter stage should be the degree of polarization, instead of arbitrary criteria such as "it moves" or "it can hurt you".

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Apparently you did... in choosing the first stage, the goal is to ultimately arrive on a stage that is as even as possible for the given matchup. It follows that our main criterion for a starter stage should be the degree of polarization, instead of arbitrary criteria such as "it moves" or "it can hurt you".
Personal like and dislike != How even the matchup is

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Since forever, unless we're planning on starting to play on Hyrule temple, havenbrow, or [insert circle camping stage here].

As far as better, depends on the MU, it's not so much the approach, it's being constantly subjected to their pressure game.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
So you're saying FD doesn't give Diddy/IC's/Falco an advantage in the matchup?
1) That depends on the matchup (Sans ICs - They win essentially all the time on FD).
2) Falco and Diddy arguably do better on other neutrals, and even CPs. Diddy is for all intents and purposes unapproachable with a banana in his hand under the platform on Yoshi's and he can wall cling as a boost to his recovery. Falco camping under a platform on BF is retardedly difficult to approach through with almost every character.

We don't really have a good method for determining matchups, so unless we're going to use our personal likes and dislikes for banning and unbanning stages, I suggest that we first get a better method for determining matchups on a per-stage basis to find out what stages are actually the most neutral.

And yes, this would be hard and time consuming, but it's better than being like "GUYS I DON'T LIKE FD BECAUSE I LOSE TO FALCO HERE."

Pete278

Smash Lord
1) That depends on the matchup (Sans ICs - They win essentially all the time on FD).
2) Falco and Diddy arguably do better on other neutrals, and even CPs. Diddy is for all intents and purposes unapproachable with a banana in his hand under the platform on Yoshi's and he can wall cling as a boost to his recovery. Falco camping under a platform on BF is retardedly difficult to approach through with almost every character.
Even if they do have better stages (arguably, of course), FD still plays towards their strengths and favours them considerably, while disadvantaging some non-projectile characters as much negatively.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falco, Diddy, IC's, Snake, etc have strong flat ground games. Most other characters do not.

They have somewhat strong platform games. A lot of other characters do as well. This I think is not being realized.

Would Diddy rather fight Marth on FD, or on Battlefield? Would Snake rather fight MK on YI or on FD? Would Falco prefer Lylat over FD if he has to face Wario?

FD is so good for them because it's like giving them + 1 and the opponents -1 compared to something like Battlefield which is more like +.5 / 1.0 and them 0 / -.5 A lot of characters when taken to platformed stages DO also benefit from having the platforms (Marth for example loves having the platforms against Snake/Diddy/Olimar/etc).

Even if Linear characters had the same benefits on platformed stages, what separates FD from the others is what it takes AWAY from the other characters in trying to fight back. THAT is why FD is so good for them because it helps 1 side and hurts the other where as stages like BF help more characters across the board, but some just a lot more than others.

I think FD should be a starter.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
I think FD is okay as a starter with 7 or 9 starter stages. 5 starters not so much. Always having to waste a strike. No way I'm willingly taking Diddy, Snake, etc there. It's an instant win. Totally should be a CP unless there are more starters.

Lucian

Smash Cadet
FD sould be a starter stage there is nothing wrong with FD, Yeah so some have characters advantages on FD, but every character has a stage that give them an advantage. I think that FD is one of the best neutral stages.

Goddratini

Smash Rookie
well, I kind of notice if you compare the tier list with characters ability to deal with FD. . .:lick:
Might be worth thinking about.
I know I'm about to get a *STFU* card :dizzy:

Xona

Smash Apprentice
An example that I think might help. Let's say I made the following really restrictive stage list:

Starter

Norfair
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Port Town Aero Dive
Halberd

Counterpick

Battlefield
Distant Planet
Big Blue
Rumble Falls
Skyworld
75m
Delfino Plaza
This should be the stage list! I definitely agree with you. (because I main Bowser)

The point that you actually presented could not be more correct. Fewer stages will make certain characters do far better and others do far worse. I would say that we need about 13 starters. The most important thing with starters in my opinion is to make sure that the list is somewhat large and includes a diverse set of stages. I used to be 100% for removing final destination as a starter, (even banning it) but I realize that more starters are actually needed. Not to mention the fact that its being a starter would not be so bad if something like Norfair or Big Blue (this will probably never happen) was also a starter.

Instead of removing final destination, I say we add Norfair, Port Town Aero Dive, Big Blue, and Frigate Orpheon to the starter list. This will never happen unfortunately for Bowser Mains, but Norfair would balance out final destination. Big Blue, Port Town Aero Dive, and Frigate Orpheon are just plain overkill. Adding Norfair and one more stage would definitely balance out final destination, but adding Norfair probably has its own problems. I think there should be at least 11 starters.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
it also give sonic an advantage
Says the Pit main?

Anyway, this place is just completely legit, until you go offstage, that's where things get gay.
The ledge can score it's own gimps...

I don't see more of a reason than that though :/

FD is a pretty sweet place.

NNID
Budget_Player
Says the Pit main?

Anyway, this place is just completely legit, until you go offstage, that's where things get gay.
The ledge can score it's own gimps...

I don't see more of a reason than that though :/

FD is a pretty sweet place.
Urgh.

Okay. First of all, the ledge is not an issue on FD. Any player with a brain will have no issue recovering around it unless they are gimped by their opponent. The issue is that FD is a ridiculously polarizing stage. It's gigantic and there's nothing to protect you from projectiles. There are no platforms to help you against CGing characters. It's essentially the exact opposite side of the spectrum to Brinstar. Honestly, if we're going to have FD in the starter list, we need to put Brinstar there too.

Godbrother11225

Smash Apprentice
The edge always gimps me, as a Yoshi main, if I screw up my final jump because of the edge... My recovery is dead. :/

I personally can't stand Final Destination. Least favorite stage considered as a neutral. I personally prefer Smashville > Yoshi's Island > Battlefield > Final Destination.
the "anvil" part is mad annoying.... some of my character have a hard time recovering...

sorry double post

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Urgh.

Okay. First of all, the ledge is not an issue on FD. Any player with a brain will have no issue recovering around it unless they are gimped by their opponent. The issue is that FD is a ridiculously polarizing stage. It's gigantic and there's nothing to protect you from projectiles. There are no platforms to help you against CGing characters. It's essentially the exact opposite side of the spectrum to Brinstar. Honestly, if we're going to have FD in the starter list, we need to put Brinstar there too.
I didn't say the ledge was an issue, i said it can gimp you if you aren't careful :/
Other than that, FD is completely legit as a Neutral, as i stated, and the claims that it should be a CP don't seem to riddle my attention enough to reply.
Brinstar as a starter? Lylat Cruise as well then?

and your point is.......?
Exactly.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Urgh.

Said by the MK main...

What does it matter? FD was the same scenario in Melee, aside from the ledges. But they're easy to get around. Don't worry. If you're good, then you'll find your way around it. If you suck, you'll argue against FD being a starter. Simple as that?

NNID
Budget_Player
I didn't say the ledge was an issue, i said it can gimp you if you aren't careful :/
Other than that, FD is completely legit as a Neutral, as i stated, and the claims that it should be a CP don't seem to riddle my attention enough to reply.
Brinstar as a starter? Lylat Cruise as well then?
Lylat cruise is a starter in any sane region.
You are a proposing a stage for neutral that is:
-Falco's best stage
-ICs' best stage
-Diddy's best stage
-One of DDD's top stages
-Completely removes any aerial elements
-Buffs characters with good ground games, chaingrabs, and projectiles obscenely

Many characters will automatically strike and ban FD is any (or almost any) matchup if they're smart. It's a top counterpick for more matchups than Brinstar, FFS! And I have explained rather thoroughly why ICs or Falco on FD is just as bad as MK on Brinstar, why it's just as potent of a counterpick.

Said by the MK main...

What does it matter? FD was the same scenario in Melee, aside from the ledges. But they're easy to get around. Don't worry. If you're good, then you'll find your way around it. If you suck, you'll argue against FD being a starter. Simple as that?
In melee. WE DON'T CARE ABOUT MELEE. And also, FD is not a stage that is being argued to be put to counterpick due to skill requirements, it's because it's incredibly unbalanced and polarizing.

Chico113

Smash Apprentice
Gives advantage to long range characters and i agree with godbrother, sonic users can get annoying on that stage -_- no offense. and don't even get me started on Snake users! cough bomb spam cough

#HBC | Gorf

So you be likely to strike these stages from the my typical 5 stage list.

FD strike
BF
Smashville strike
Yoshi's Island
Lylat

Which of the three are similar to FD, and how?

Oh, and I like your sig. I'll break it down:

HEY, LISTEN! Scrubs who support things like a 3 stage neutral list and banning Norfair: get on the right level for playing Brawl. No johns: learn the stages, stop crying because you need to adapt while playing. This is Brawl, not SFIV.

1st of all, let me establish that I don't support banning Norfair. It's a good stage. And I support a 5 stage neutral list.

2nd of all, you should learn the stage FD, and how to counter those who are OMGZ BEASTIN on that stage. You need to adapt while playing. Yes, you do Budget Player. Adapt to the fact that FD doesn't give nearly as much of an advantage as let's say BRINSTAR to MetaKnight.

And directed toward everybody:

What is the issue about Falco's CG? For the most part, it only goes to about 35~40%. It's not like D3 or IC's which, for the most part, is neverending.

Granted, I do understand why you say FD's a great stage for Falco, because of lasers. But don't compare his CG to IC's and D3's.

And one more thing. Why don't you ask to CP Smashville too? It's FD with a moving platform.

NNID
Budget_Player
So you be likely to strike these stages from the my typical 5 stage list.

FD strike
BF
Smashville strike
Yoshi's Island
Lylat

Which of the three are similar to FD, and how?
Seeing as you'll likely end up on BF, if you're striking FD and SV, it's less "which stages are the same" and more "which stages are good for exactly the same characters". Battlefield is still a ridiculously grounded stage; incredible for Falco and Diddy. YI is also almost exclusively a ground stage.

Oh, and I like your sig. I'll break it down:

HEY, LISTEN! Scrubs who support things like a 3 stage neutral list and banning Norfair: get on the right level for playing Brawl. No johns: learn the stages, stop crying because you need to adapt while playing. This is Brawl, not SFIV.

1st of all, let me establish that I don't support banning Norfair. It's a good stage. And I support a 5 stage neutral list.
5 stage neutral list is ridiculously tipped in the favor of grounded chars unless it's something like this:

-FD
-SV
-Frigate/Lylat/other "middle of the road" stage
-Brinstar
-RC

I'm not kidding.

2nd of all, you should learn the stage FD, and how to counter those who are OMGZ BEASTIN on that stage. You need to adapt while playing. Yes, you do Budget Player. Adapt to the fact that FD doesn't give nearly as much of an advantage as let's say BRINSTAR to MetaKnight.
I have. I'm not the one saying "ban FD". You're also making the mistake of thinking that I want FD made into a counterpick unconditionally. In my stagelist, FD would be a starter. So would every other legal stage. This allows for a perfect median of balance.

And directed toward everybody:

What is the issue about Falco's CG? For the most part, it only goes to about 35~40%. It's not like D3 or IC's which, for the most part, is neverending.

Granted, I do understand why you say FD's a great stage for Falco, because of lasers. But don't compare his CG to IC's and D3's.

And one more thing. Why don't you ask to CP Smashville too? It's FD with a moving platform.
You're misunderstanding the issue.

FD is the second-most polarizing commonly legal stage in the game (after brinstar, merely by virtue of MK). Having this as a starter requires some kind of equality. After all, if you're playing as G&W against a Diddy or Falco or ICs, your opponent will have a stage that you absolutely NEED to strike. As in, it's your worst stage, and its their best stage. Do you have something like that? No, of course not-your worst stage is YI or Lylat, neither of which are a nightmare for you.

The issue is not that FD is a starter. The issue is that the starter list is gauged ridiculously in favor of grounded characters, and that FD is the worst of the bunch.

#HBC | Gorf

-FD
-SV
-Frigate/Lylat/other "middle of the road" stage
-Brinstar
-RC
As stated by the MK main...

And I'd argue to say that Yoshi's Island is pretty air based, as well as ground based, when the Support Ghost is out. It can easily refresh your jumps pretty well.

Okay. I'll admit something. I MIGHT be wrong. I don't want a rediculous amount of stages as starters. But the current stages have nearly ZERO gimmicks. I'm not in love with the fact that people are putting gimmicls as starters. But, your arguments about the ground based starters are starting to make sense to me. I'd be willing to try it, but I don't support it until I can physically review it.

NNID
Budget_Player
Smaller starter lists really wouldn't bother me so much if it was all stages like Lylat, Frigate, Halberd-the stages that are good for both aerial chars and ground-based chars. But no, it's all stages like FD, BF, and SV. That is not "middle of the road", that's "massive arbitrary buff for Diddy, Falco, and ICs".

However, the principle of more starters still stands strong. The more stages, the more likely you are to find the actual fair starting point for the match.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Lylat cruise is a starter in any sane region.
You are a proposing a stage for neutral that is:
-Falco's best stage
-ICs' best stage
-Diddy's best stage
-One of DDD's top stages
-Completely removes any aerial elements
-Buffs characters with good ground games, chaingrabs, and projectiles obscenely
Are you saying that FD should be a CP because it's some the best option for some characters?
BF is
-Marth's best
-Falcon's best
- Maybe Samus' best
and a few others i can't think of right now.
FD is prob. the most neutral any neutral can get, and it's perhaps the best starter by far.
I know there are characters that rule this stage completely, and that's why we have CPs. lul

NNID
Budget_Player
Are you saying that FD should be a CP because it's some the best option for some characters?
BF is
-Marth's best
-Falcon's best
- Maybe Samus' best
and a few others i can't think of right now.
FD is prob. the most neutral any neutral can get, and it's perhaps the best starter by far.
I know there are characters that rule this stage completely, and that's why we have CPs. lul
A limited stagelist is going to be biased no matter what. However, FD is not only an issue because of great counterpicks, it's an issue because it's so ridiculously polarizing. It is, quite literally, like throwing Brinstar into the starter list. It's not a problem in larger starter lists, but anything below 7, and there are MUCH more fair starters. Stages the come to mind as "more neutral than FD":
-Lylat
-YI(B)
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Halberd
-CS
-Frigate

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
A limited stagelist is going to be biased no matter what. However, FD is not only an issue because of great counterpicks, it's an issue because it's so ridiculously polarizing. It is, quite literally, like throwing Brinstar into the starter list. It's not a problem in larger starter lists, but anything below 7, and there are MUCH more fair starters. Stages the come to mind as "more neutral than FD":
-Lylat
-YI(B)
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Halberd
-CS
-Frigate
You want it to be a CP because it's the perfect stage? :l
FD has nothing that could even be recognized as a hazard, or something that gave the opponent an unfair advantage, outside of a few chain-grabs.
If you dislike this stage as a neutral, you are indeed thinking over it's faults, which i fail to see :/

NNID
Budget_Player
You want it to be a CP because it's the perfect stage? :l
FD has nothing that could even be recognized as a hazard, or something that gave the opponent an unfair advantage, outside of a few chain-grabs.
If you dislike this stage as a neutral, you are indeed thinking over it's faults, which i fail to see :/
I just showed you why its unbalanced and polarizing. It has the most unwinnable matchups of any stages. And you support it above, say, Lylat or Halberd as a balanced stage?

Top Bottom