• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people think FD should be a CP?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Why is harder to deal with pro competitive? You could make it harder for people and make tournaments low tier only, or turn on items. Sure, you could say it demonstrates skills... at those things. But why do those things have to be what people have to be tested over?

In the end, it boils down to what people want. Most people don't want to test their skill on those things. Even if there's nothing wrong with them in their own right, it will boil down into what people want to test their skills on. If people want to "neglect" the other stage options for the game, and test their skills on a more conservative list, it's their choice. If you want to add in custom stages and test those, go ahead. When it comes to stages, it will always be based on what people decide, even if they miss some stages that could be ok for competitive play.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Every stage helps some characters in some ways and hinders others. This fact is unavoidable. The reason FD is considered a neutral is that there is literally NOTHING for any character to use. Just a long, flat stage. If you don't want to deal with stages, play another fighting game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The nothing to deal with is wrong. Some characters are way **** too good at dealing with nothing, like Falco, Ic and so on.

NNID
Budget_Player
Why is harder to deal with pro competitive?

This euphemism is akin to calling those who support euthanizing anyone who hits 60 "Anti-murder". It's not only ridiculously stupid, it's also false.

You could make it harder for people and make tournaments low tier only, or turn on items. Sure, you could say it demonstrates skills... at those things. But why do those things have to be what people have to be tested over?
Well first of all, you're ignoring the whole settings issue. The game expects us to turn off items, or at least prepares for it by giving us a switch to turn it off. Low tiers is a terrible comparison because there's really no reason to run low tier tournaments, competitively-low tiers aren't harder or easier to play when in their own isolated environment than top tiers in their own isolated environment (i.e. the brawl metagame lol).

Second of all, why do those things have to be what people are tested over? Because they are a part of the game the game innately requires them to be tested on, that's why! It's like asking "why should players be tested on their zoning or spacing?"

In the end, it boils down to what people want. Most people don't want to test their skill on those things.
Then they should:
A) Play casual
B) Play a different game.

Preferably the latter. Hell, if my play group wants to play all 4-way FFAs on Warioware, who are you to judge if they don't want to test their skill on things the game demands like baiting, zoning, and gimping?

Even if there's nothing wrong with them in their own right, it will boil down into what people want to test their skills on. If people want to "neglect" the other stage options for the game, and test their skills on a more conservative list, it's their choice. If you want to add in custom stages and test those, go ahead. When it comes to stages, it will always be based on what people decide, even if they miss some stages that could be ok for competitive play.
Should, Would. And again, no. It's not all right if it reduces the competitive nature of the game.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Oh I see. You're appealing to "FD does not screw with gameplay at all". Go play street fighter, you lazy scrub.
FD is fine. We base our counterpick system not off of matchups, or who is the best on what stage and etc. We base it off of the activity of stage's hazards themselves.

Get over it or try to change that.

Enzo

Smash Lord
Yeah, see, this is when I know you have no idea what you are talking about. Let me guess-you think that if the only stage legal was FD, the game would require the most "skill". I'll just quote from my other post.

FD only requires one tiny element from the various skills brawl tends to normally ask for-it is therefore one of the least skill-intensive stages in the game. Which is harder to deal with-fighting your opponent on an empty lot, or fighting your opponent in an active construction zone where none of the machine operators know either of you are there?
GDI BPC, ur just too good when it comes too stages and i admit my defeat

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
PEOPLE decide the competitive nature of a game. Compare Billiards to No Limit Hold em: No Limit is obviously quite a bit more popular. Say you refer to 9 ball, one of the most popular variations. 9 Ball is great as a competitive game; you play the opponent head on, nothing else in the way. No Limit, sure it's harder because you have luck thrown in and more opponents to face against and play longer. You have reads, numbers to crunch, etc. 9 Ball is very straight forward compared to No Limit. Hit balls into Pocket, don't scratch, gg lol.

Now, why are more people interested in that over a game where there is no barrier between the two opponents, or influencing factors? People would intentionally prefer to play a game where no matter how good you play sometimes, you can lose because the cards don't fall your way? Wouldn't that be frustrating to lose in a spot like that? Where hand after hand you get garbage like 7-2 off suit, 10-3, etc and the opponent gets High Pairs, flops sets, hits the straight?

There is no set standard of something being competitive, or something being more competitive than the other. Just opinions. Popularity? There are plenty of competitively sound games that are passed over for something else. A game could be competitive crap, and somehow be quite popular. Checkers for example has already been solved and known to be a draw if played optimally, yet people flock to the game. There's even a "World Draughts Federation". Depth/complexity? Plenty of games that get passed up for simpler games, simpler games also getting passed up for harder games. Balance/Lack of other factors? Just mentioned that people would rather play Poker than Pool lol.

People will see a game, and decide for themselves the competitive nature of it.

ADHD

Smash Hero
PEOPLE decide the competitive nature of a game. Compare Billiards to No Limit Hold em: No Limit is obviously quite a bit more popular. Say you refer to 9 ball, one of the most popular variations. 9 Ball is great as a competitive game; you play the opponent head on, nothing else in the way. No Limit, sure it's harder because you have luck thrown in and more opponents to face against and play longer. You have reads, numbers to crunch, etc. 9 Ball is very straight forward compared to No Limit. Hit balls into Pocket, don't scratch, gg lol.

Now, why are more people interested in that over a game where there is no barrier between the two opponents, or influencing factors? People would intentionally prefer to play a game where no matter how good you play sometimes, you can lose because the cards don't fall your way? Wouldn't that be frustrating to lose in a spot like that? Where hand after hand you get garbage like 7-2 off suit, 10-3, etc and the opponent gets High Pairs, flops sets, hits the straight?

There is no set standard of something being competitive, or something being more competitive than the other. Just opinions. Popularity? There are plenty of competitively sound games that are passed over for something else. A game could be competitive crap, and somehow be quite popular. Checkers for example has already been solved and known to be a draw if played optimally, yet people flock to the game. There's even a "World Draughts Federation". Depth/complexity? Plenty of games that get passed up for simpler games, simpler games also getting passed up for harder games. Balance/Lack of other factors? Just mentioned that people would rather play Poker than Pool lol.

I agree, and the way I see it (and hopefully many others) is that the more interfering the stages become, the less player skill is required. Obstacles will do the work for you, or play against you. The game then steadily becomes an enormous imbalanced mix of matchups and victories based off of only character selections because some can avoid the attrocious terrain better than others. Smash would be a very sad game indeed.

Edit: However, I do think that some stages (ps2, pictochat, and maybe.. maybe japes) should be added into more tournament stagelists. Anything beyond those 2-3 are foreign to competitive brawl, because while it's not street fighter, two players are supposed to be fighting eachother--I mean that's the god **** general idea.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Hardly any stages in this game have any meaningful effect on matchups outside of plat layout anyway. Pretty much only Brinstar/RC have anything other than plats that do anything.

The point is, why reward Diddy/ICs/Falco by giving them their good stages to play on? They're bad at most stages, and therefore Game 1 *should* represent the fact that they don't excel stagewise in most of the legal, nonbroken stages the stagemakers staged.

/minirant

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
On the other hand, why shouldn't Game 1 represent the fact that other characters will only do good on the non neutral stages? G&W for example is great on most CP stages, but terrible on the standard neutrals. Should we then skew the stage list towards him because he's only good on stages that mess with other people, and not the "boring" stuff like FD, SV, BF, YI?

Luxor

Smash Champion
The idea is since he's better on more stages, he deserves to be justly compensated (not rewarded) for his inherent character strength of being versatile stagewise. It's all philosophical and subjective anyway so meh.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well the flat land brothers are compensated, not rewarded. Although Compensated and rewarded both involve receiving benefit.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Hardly any stages in this game have any meaningful effect on matchups outside of plat layout anyway. Pretty much only Brinstar/RC have anything other than plats that do anything.

Are you kidding? Every counterpick has a strong meaningful effect on matchups. Even neutrals themselves have a strong influential effect on matchups. Norfair, delfino, halberd, japes, etc. are some of the most powerful of the bunch. Any combination of stages and characters can make things closer to even, or relatively near impossible.

Why is this brown?

The point is, why reward Diddy/ICs/Falco by giving them their good stages to play on? They're bad at most stages, and therefore Game 1 *should* represent the fact that they don't excel stagewise in most of the legal, nonbroken stages the stagemakers staged.

/minirant
So? I believe the neutral list should be touched, but going at it by making game 1 the "median stage" of the matchup based on AERIAL and GROUNDED stages is not the way to go about it. Aerial and grounded stages DO NOT determine the best stage suited for any matchup in particular at all, as claimed.

I'll think of something. . . BUT, it's just as subjective as anything else to claim that simply bc there are more stages, that should determine who is should be rewarded or who should not be as well! That's just the same as saying diddy/blablalbla should be rewarded but to the extremely opposite side of the spectrum.

Luxor

Smash Champion
ADHD, I meant that only the platform arrangements alter (yes, often drastically) the matchups on those stages. I mean that "random" elements like Japes' Klap Trap and Halberd's laser, etc. usually aren't very random and don't heavily influence matchups. That means that even if you think G1 should be on a stage with minimal random elements, Halberd/PS1 or even 2/Delfino and co. are all in essence as nonrandom as FD. On the former stages it exists, but to such a small degree as to be insignificant.

Also your post is brown because I'm amazing.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Will people stop calling stages neutrals? They're called starters because no stage is neutral.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I call it neutral, referring to it being a Game 1 stage, not "neutral" for all matchups or across the board fairness. Non Neutrals being the stages reserved for Game 2 and onwards.

Starter = Neutral =/= "Neutral"/Fairest

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Doesn't really matter what you call them IMO. Game 1 stages, Starters, Neutrals, Appetizers, etc.

NNID
Budget_Player
FD is fine. We base our counterpick system not off of matchups, or who is the best on what stage and etc. We base it off of the activity of stage's hazards themselves.

Get over it or try to change that.
We're trying to.

The fact is, brawl as a game seems to have quite a lot of stages based around hazards. It's as if, gosh, the game wants us to have to deal with stage hazards. You know, seeing as the list of stages with no movement and no hazards is approximately 3 stages long, and the list of stages with minimal movement and hazards is, again, ridiculously small.

I am, once again, equating wanting to grade the competitiveness of stages by their interactivity to grading the competitiveness of characters by their ability to space and zone-it's a major part of the game and removing it would be flat-out ridiculous. Furthermore, there is no reason we should remove it in game one of the set, or for that matter any game in the set.

Err... In pool, is there a set of rules proscribed by the game itself? Somehow I doubt that. Or, if there is, it's the 9-ball variant that virtually everyone plays. I've never even heard of no limit, therefore I can't really do much with this analogy. I will however state that it's very hard to compare games like pool that have been around for decades or centuries, where the rules of the game have permutated extremely and by now, the pros probably do know more about the game than the people who designed it, to a video game with ridiculous internal coding, far more than meets the eye at first glance (see that pool table, the balls, and the cues? That's all there is to it), and a ridiculous amount to find out.

I agree, and the way I see it (and hopefully many others) is that the more interfering the stages become, the less player skill is required. Obstacles will do the work for you, or play against you. The game then steadily becomes an enormous imbalanced mix of matchups and victories based off of only character selections because some can avoid the attrocious terrain better than others. Smash would be a very sad game indeed.
False! False false false! The other night I was playing wifi, and on brinstar, the lava bumped me into pika's downB as it rose, making me lose the match. Whose fault was that? After all, the lava comes at completely regular intervals. I should've known that the lava would be up at 5:20 or whenever that part of the match was.

This case could potentially be made for randomized stages, but even then, they're rare. Norfair is apparently non-random. The randomness on PS1, PS2, Delfino, and Frigate are negligable, and either come with a ridiculous amount of warning, are almost completely predictable, or don't make a huge difference/have large transition times. Smashville's randomness is virtually completely negligable. Japes is completely non-random. I've heard you claim that Yoshi's Island is on some sort of pattern. Norfair and PTAD are random to a very minor extent (Both run on a timer, the only thing that is random being placement; on PTAD you can predict if cars are about to show up even without seeing them if they've gone by once; on Norfair, IIRC the lava spouts are random).

What's left? Pictochat? Halberd, maybe? Pirate Ship? Green Greens?

Every other stage that can be remotely considered legal is almost completely non-random, and it is perfectly reasonable to expect a player to adapt to them.

Edit: However, I do think that some stages (ps2, pictochat, and maybe.. maybe japes) should be added into more tournament stagelists. Anything beyond those 2-3 are foreign to competitive brawl, because while it's not street fighter, two players are supposed to be fighting eachother--I mean that's the god **** general idea.
The two players are supposed to be fighting each other, plus the stage, plus randomly spawning items (game allows us to turn this off, therefore optional), plus up to 2 more players (game allows us to turn this off, therefore optional). You have to fight the stage everywhere and no matter what; the fact is that it's simply less on the starter stages commonly seen as acceptable. PvPvS is always there. Why should we lessen it if the game demands it of us? Because we don't like it? That is pure scrub logic, I'm sorry. Casuals can do that; we, as a competitive community, cannot.

On the other hand, why shouldn't Game 1 represent the fact that other characters will only do good on the non neutral stages? G&W for example is great on most CP stages, but terrible on the standard neutrals. Should we then skew the stage list towards him because he's only good on stages that mess with other people, and not the "boring" stuff like FD, SV, BF, YI?
No. We should not skew the stagelist at all, that's what I'm saying. G&W is a poor example; he's great on stages where the opponent has to adapt, but he's still decent on others (like most aerial characters). Try Ganon instead. Ganon is almost playable on stages like Norfair and Brinstar, but is absolute garbage on "neutrals". Should we skew the stage list towards him? Of course not! ICs are amazing on "neutrals" and pretty bad on any variable stages. Should we skew the stagelist in their favor?

The issue you're missing here is that the stagelist is already skewed. It is heavily skewed in favor of those who are only good on flatland stages due to this ridiculous concept that the less interactive stages are better for competition (they aren't). By removing the starter list entirely and striking from the whole stagelist, or removing the more polar stages first and then striking from what's left, as outlined above, you avoid situations where entire classes of character are extremely buffed by the ruleset, and others hosed. The larger your starter list, the more rarely you get the situation where certain characters can always get one of their best stages in the matchup.
But when you look for the most polar stages, there's absolutely no doubt-FD is up there right next to Brinstar and RC.

What is the justification for having FD as a starter in any situation, when it favors so many characters so heavily, and nerfs so many so much?

I call it neutral, referring to it being a Game 1 stage, not "neutral" for all matchups or across the board fairness. Non Neutrals being the stages reserved for Game 2 and onwards.

Starter = Neutral =/= "Neutral"/Fairest
Terrible. Does the term "intentionally misleading" say anything to you? Why do you think so many idiots think that FD is the most "neutral" stage? The term was changed for a reason.

Are you kidding? Every counterpick has a strong meaningful effect on matchups. Even neutrals themselves have a strong influential effect on matchups. Norfair, delfino, halberd, japes, etc. are some of the most powerful of the bunch. Any combination of stages and characters can make things closer to even, or relatively near impossible.

So? I believe the neutral list should be touched, but going at it by making game 1 the "median stage" of the matchup based on AERIAL and GROUNDED stages is not the way to go about it. Aerial and grounded stages DO NOT determine the best stage suited for any matchup in particular at all, as claimed.
I never claimed that. You will notice a very shocking alignment in many high-tier matchups though. You always have to look for the stagelist where the least chars get any real advantage (again, as compared to their average and/or median over all stages) from it. The larger the starter list in comparison to the counterpick list, the more likely this is to happen (in a stagelist where all stages are starter, the median will always happen in a matchup unless it is influenced by player preference or poor matchup knowledge; in a stagelist with 21 legal stages and 3 starters, it will almost always be ridiculously skewed in some matchup).

I'll think of something. . . BUT, it's just as subjective as anything else to claim that simply bc there are more stages, that should determine who is should be rewarded or who should not be as well! That's just the same as saying diddy/blablalbla should be rewarded but to the extremely opposite side of the spectrum.
We aren't rewarding anyone though! We're merely making them gain the advantage they deserve for being good almost everywhere, as opposed to on just 3-5 stages.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
So a nerf on "ground" characters somehow doesn't translate into a buff for "aerial" characters? lolwat?

5 starter stage list favors ground characters. 7+ favors aerial characters. One side will be buffed, one side will be nerfed. Simple as that. Now maybe you think the aerial buff is better for the game balance wise, but you can't honestly say that expanding the stage list does NOT help them. It's not "Oh ground characters too strong" and then "Everything a OK, air champs not buffed at all no sir." lol

MK dumb. Makes a larger starting list worse all on his own. Get rid of him, 7+stage list sounds alright.

NNID
Budget_Player
So a nerf on "ground" characters somehow doesn't translate into a buff for "aerial" characters? lolwat?

5 starter stage list favors ground characters. 7+ favors aerial characters. One side will be buffed, one side will be nerfed. Simple as that. Now maybe you think the aerial buff is better for the game balance wise, but you can't honestly say that expanding the stage list does NOT help them. It's not "Oh ground characters too strong" and then "Everything a OK, air champs not buffed at all no sir." lol
Again, you're missing the critical factor here. Ground characters aren't on a neutral standing right now. They are seriously buffed right now! In a typical 5-stage starter list, Falco, Diddy, and ICs can always strike to one of their favorite stages. MK can maybe get Battlefield.

If, when we redistribute the stagelist to what is reasonably fair, MK becomes a completely unbeatable monster, that doesn't mean that the stagelist is broken, it means that he's the only viable character. It also means that he is broken with a fair ruleset, and therefore should be banned. Not limited.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Jesus it's like talking to a brick wall.

Let's use an arbitrary number scale to show why 5 starters is bad.

Flatland crew likes flat stages: 5-starters is almost unanimously flat stages. As it stands, they receive a large advantage for Game 1, because these stages are among their BEST. So let's assign this an arbitrary value of 1.

Aerial crew likes NON-flat stages, in most cases. As it stands, the receive no discernible benefit from Game 1, since most of these stages are only average for them, in comparison to their other options. So we'll assign this an arbitrary value of 0.

Both Flat and Aerial characters also get a CP, which we'll assign a value of 1.

So, in a typical 2/3 set, the score for benefit received by stages is 2-1 in favor of flatland characters.

SEE THE PROBLEM HERE?

InfiniteBlaze

Smash Apprentice
Wow, people are still posting in this thread?

Is FD still a neutral? I haven't brawled in months.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Starter, not Neutral. And in a 5+ number of starters, yes.

Gea

Smash Master
I know this sounds like a dumb argument, but the more stages you have to strike, the longer tournaments will be. Adding two minutes to each set could easily add 1-2 hours to the tournament time. While I think the time difference between 5-7 is nothing, putting on the entire stagelist would be slower.

Brawl tournaments already take forever. Not suggesting we change the rules FOR time, but it's just something to chew on.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Again, you're missing the critical factor here. Ground characters aren't on a neutral standing right now. They are seriously buffed right now! In a typical 5-stage starter list, Falco, Diddy, and ICs can always strike to one of their favorite stages. MK can maybe get Battlefield.

If, when we redistribute the stagelist to what is reasonably fair, MK becomes a completely unbeatable monster, that doesn't mean that the stagelist is broken, it means that he's the only viable character. It also means that he is broken with a fair ruleset, and therefore should be banned. Not limited.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Jesus it's like talking to a brick wall.

Let's use an arbitrary number scale to show why 5 starters is bad.

Flatland crew likes flat stages: 5-starters is almost unanimously flat stages. As it stands, they receive a large advantage for Game 1, because these stages are among their BEST. So let's assign this an arbitrary value of 1.

Aerial crew likes NON-flat stages, in most cases. As it stands, the receive no discernible benefit from Game 1, since most of these stages are only average for them, in comparison to their other options. So we'll assign this an arbitrary value of 0.

Both Flat and Aerial characters also get a CP, which we'll assign a value of 1.

So, in a typical 2/3 set, the score for benefit received by stages is 2-1 in favor of flatland characters.

SEE THE PROBLEM HERE?
Depends. Ground champs can't entirely get a good stage, it depends a LOT on the matchup.

IC's against Wario for example. Say the list is FD BF SV YI Lylat. Wario strikes FD obviously, and whatever else he doesn't like. Now, from the stages left, IC's actually don't have anything really strong. Smashville lets Wario camp a moving platform, easily devastating in the right hands. BF has multiple platforms, letting Wario **** them from below or run away. YI is pretty awkward for them, Wario isn't exactly fond of it either so I'd expect one side to strike this. Then Lylat EASILY favors Wario with the tilting, stage slants, and multi platforms.

Regardless... The current stage of the metagame is simple. MK is clearly in first duh, the rest of the game is about who does the best against MK. The people with the best chances currently are the people who really like the 5 stage list. Falco, Diddy, Snake, IC's (mostly the first two, assuming a LGL of course). When they get BF or whatever, they have the best shot in the game at beating MK in a set. Even then, it's pretty tough.

Now flip it. Make the stage list more MK friendly. Now the rest of the cast suffers. The game turns from "Well you can get a good stage game 1 and try to win the set" into "Well MK will have the advantage Game 1 and 3". The other characters who would benefit from the new stage list are completely overshadowed by MK on the stages they want. Wario would like Delfino against Falco or Diddy. Wario would HATE Delfino against MK. Same with G&W. He might like Halberd for the sharking, but what's the point with MK in the picture.

I'd rather skew the stage list towards Anti MK than Pro MK. I would probably feel differently about this IF I actually thought we would sit down and ban him. Realistically, it's not gonna happen. There are "Too late/too soon" arguments, "He doesn't win all the nationals", etc. It would be a miracle for him to be banned even if everyone was in consensus that he was that strong. If MK is here to stay, we are gonna have to suck it up and shape the stage list with him in mind.

Yes, it's awful. The alternative? Boosting him lol

I thought you were the gorgeous face of anti-ban :(
Poker face.

NNID
Budget_Player
I know this sounds like a dumb argument, but the more stages you have to strike, the longer tournaments will be. Adding two minutes to each set could easily add 1-2 hours to the tournament time. While I think the time difference between 5-7 is nothing, putting on the entire stagelist would be slower.

Brawl tournaments already take forever. Not suggesting we change the rules FOR time, but it's just something to chew on.
Well first of all, MLG showed that they could pull it off with 9 starters, no problem. Second of all, I even said it-the only legitimate reason to have a starter list in the first place is to shorten the time needed to strike. It's a necessary evil, not a good thing.

Depends. Ground champs can't entirely get a good stage, it depends a LOT on the matchup.
This is because they have about 2 good stages in most matchups.

IC's against Wario for example. Say the list is FD BF SV YI Lylat. Wario strikes FD obviously, and whatever else he doesn't like. Now, from the stages left, IC's actually don't have anything really strong. Smashville lets Wario camp a moving platform, easily devastating in the right hands. BF has multiple platforms, letting Wario **** them from below or run away. YI is pretty awkward for them, Wario isn't exactly fond of it either so I'd expect one side to strike this. Then Lylat EASILY favors Wario with the tilting, stage slants, and multi platforms.
Yeah. Now name me one stage in the whole stagelist that is better for ICs than, say, BF, SV, or YI against wario. This is the point; ICs just simply suck on most stages. As you go down the stagelist it only really gets worse.

Regardless... The current stage of the metagame is simple. MK is clearly in first duh, the rest of the game is about who does the best against MK. The people with the best chances currently are the people who really like the 5 stage list. Falco, Diddy, Snake, IC's (mostly the first two, assuming a LGL of course). When they get BF or whatever, they have the best shot in the game at beating MK in a set. Even then, it's pretty tough.

Now flip it. Make the stage list more MK friendly. Now the rest of the cast suffers. The game turns from "Well you can get a good stage game 1 and try to win the set" into "Well MK will have the advantage Game 1 and 3". The other characters who would benefit from the new stage list are completely overshadowed by MK on the stages they want. Wario would like Delfino against Falco or Diddy. Wario would HATE Delfino against MK. Same with G&W. He might like Halberd for the sharking, but what's the point with MK in the picture.

I'd rather skew the stage list towards Anti MK than Pro MK. I would probably feel differently about this IF I actually thought we would sit down and ban him. Realistically, it's not gonna happen. There are "Too late/too soon" arguments, "He doesn't win all the nationals", etc. It would be a miracle for him to be banned even if everyone was in consensus that he was that strong. If MK is here to stay, we are gonna have to suck it up and shape the stage list with him in mind.

So you find it competitively justified to nerf metaknight artificially through the stagelist?

mutter mutter constructivist scum mutter mutter

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I feel that if we keep trying to soften the blow, we are only hurting ourselves in the long run. If we simply had never entertained the idea of a small stage list or a ledge grab limit or any of that, where would the game be now? I see three possibilities:

-Meta Knight does worse than he does now, in defiance of your modeling. Regardless of how likely you think this is, I think we can agree it would be a positive outcome. This is included for completeness as a possibility.

-Meta Knight ends up about the same either way, and we benefit from a more fun and interesting game with the rest of the cast. Whatever we do with Meta Knight, the game is better than our current status quo. The data, IMO, mostly supports this. MK's big share of the pie seems to hold steady nearly no matter what, and our choice is between dividing the remaining pie more evenly between a bunch of characters or giving a few more big pieces to a few characters (though no piece will ever compete with MK's).

-Meta Knight ends up better. This is what you seem to believe, and I don't deny there are plausible reasons to believe it. As it stands, about 60% of the community wants to ban him which isn't quite enough to overcome inertia and an extremely adamant resistance but is notable. If things get much worse, either we cross the threshold directly and ban him or we start having real dissent that harms the community much more seriously as in far more than a few obscure MK banned tournaments start happening as locals and substantial numbers of people just stop playing. The former results in MK banned for obvious reasons, and the latter probably breaks anti-ban. I do not believe the community would be willing to tolerate a Meta Knight that performs non-trivially better than he does now, and if we have enacted policies with the effect to merely prevent him from taking off, I don't think we've done much overall good for the game. At the very least, if he did start to take off and really rise from his current level of performance, you could expect real anti-MK rules not like the lgl that hurts several random characters more than MK but that really target just MK.

The main reason I don't like the plan you're outlining DMG is that there's residual damage. My pal G&W is more or less an unlucky victim as he does worse against everyone (including MK) for these kinds of rules. It's not really just G&W; he's just the guy I know the most about. If the really good character is mostly an aerial character (though his ground game is very far from shabby!), trying to shift the balance of power to grounded characters seems to be really heavy handed since MK is pretty far from the only character who likes the air.

I get a sense that there's less disagreement over things than it seems. The party line here is no MK debates, but if the competing positions are "we want more diversity" versus "we would want more diversity but don't want it only because of MK", I think that's illuminating and should be out in the open.

As per the time issue in tournaments, MLG had really fast striking with 9 stages. Just use a 3-4-1 order to minimize switches in who is on point (which take longer than anything else) and adopt a no nonsense culture on "pick what you want but pick something and right this moment". Most players have no problem with this; it's really just a minority who seem to like to take forever to strike stages, counterpick, etc.. If we just agree to be less patient with them, it seems like we can eliminate that kind of time issue. Of course, players like DMG here are also an issue for the timeliness of tournaments that consume way more time than any stage selection procedure could, but it goes without saying that we are not going to enact any rules to limit glorious Wario time-outs and simply have to accept that the plans we should have had all along about all games going to time may be used.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
^ Pretty much this.

Also, in all honesty, banning MK solves the problem.

I know, I've done it.

There's all of a sudden no ultimate counterpick character, stage choice actually matters, and most games start on like, Lylat or PS2, since I use that as a starter. Stage neither character really likes or hates.

I wish there was an easier way to convince you guys other than saying, "Hey look over here", but banning MK DOES solve the majority of the rule-set related problems with this game.

This is the stagelist we use with no problems in NS:

**********STAGE LIST**********

Starter

Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Final Destination
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 2 *

Counterpick

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat *
Rainbow Cruise *
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Green Greens *
Distant Planet *
Port Town Aero Dive *

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
So you find it competitively justified to nerf metaknight artificially through the stagelist?

mutter mutter constructivist scum mutter mutter
I find it justifiable to nerf MK artificially through the stage list IF the alternative is boosting him or indefinitely keeping him in the game. I think that's a "lesser" evil, just as I support having a LGL over not having one. LGL is a stupid rule, arbitrary as heck, HOWEVER Letting MK roam freely is worse for the game IMO than putting arbitrary nerfs on him. If I thought there was a good chance for him to be banned, it would be different. Right now though yes I doubt it will happen unless a national has all top 8 spots as MK or something along those lines, back to back. Even then, someone could just use the argument "Well those were the 8 best players at the tournaments clearly" and nothing would get done lol.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

Poker face.
every time i see people trying to stall out a sopo with air camping i always see them come back with his amazing uair, i need to watch you beat an ics like this to believe it dmg.

also don't you get that your not skewing the stage list towards pro MK? your simply removing the nerf that's been placed on him not boosting him. If MK happens to be broken when the game is played naked then that's just how it should MK is broken when you open the game and 1st but the disk into your wii.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's pretty easy to do it. Because Wario moves faster in the air, and can change directions faster, he can weave around Uair pretty well. His airdodge duration also lasts long enough for him to miss the Uair and move past the IC. On Lylat in particular, it's ******** lol.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I thought the mentality was that stages with the least interaction provide the least inconsistency in results. Halberd's a perfectly legitimate legal stage but a claw can decide to target your opponent and provide you with an opportunity where you either edgeguard him or he gets hit and died. Yoshi's Island is a perfectly legitimate legal stage but you can be getting gimped and suddenly a support ghost comes and you survive and win the game. With stages like BF, FD, SV, and Lylat, the results are at least consistent and re creatable.

I don't understand the logic of balancing the starter list to reflect how all of the stages are because not all of the stages provide you with consistent, re-creatable results. I don't understand the logic of balancing the starter list for aerial based characters because there's honestly like 5 "aerial" characters compared to like 30 "ground (as if aerial characters and ground characters weren't bad enough descriptions anyway, but honestly just because Marth has good aerials does not make him an aerial character when the majority of his spacing and damage comes from the ground and horizontal zoning. Who are aerial characters? Jigglypuff, Wario, Peach maybe, MK to some extent...?) I don't really understand why some people think "Well if a character only does well on flat stages we shouldn't just make those the starters and buff them," because while they might not do well on the majority of the stages, the ones they do well on have the most consistency and most re-creatable results.

If Norfair didn't have any lava changes (while there is a pattern the pattern itself is still "random") it would be a valid starter in the sense that there's consistency and you can re-create results. It sucks that the only static, non-intrusive stages have kind of similar layouts (honestly BF layout wise isn't much similar to FD or Lylat though, but whatever), but that's just how the stages are.

I'm pretty sure the initial thought of starters were just to see who on game 1 would win without any external factors, and then games 2 and 3 could go to stages with more of those (giving the set advantage to the person who won without the aid of them). I don't feel like it's a ridiculous thought—at least, the whole aerial-based and ground-based characters thing makes no sense anyway.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Who are the grounded characters? Diddy Kong, ICs, Falco, Sonic, uh... A lot more characters prefer the air. In addition to your list (all of which are correct), we also have the obvious Luigi, Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, and Kirby. Others are more subject to debate and come down to match-up a lot (like Pit can work different ways in different match-ups).

As per the point about consistency, I don't believe it. How does it even make rational sense that, say, Rainbow Cruise is inconsistent in any way? The stage is 100% non-random. If it's unfair in match-ups, that's one thing, but it's not like players are more likely to go back and forth on it compared to, say, Final Destination. I don't think any of the cp stages are really very inconsistent; the randomness on stages like PictoChat is really pretty trivial compared to the match outcome. In fact, Yoshi's Island (Brawl) probably has one of the single most important instances of randomness out of all the stages in the game. The geography is plain, but in terms of affecting the match in unpredictable ways, seriously the only stages more random are stages like WarioWare and Mario Bros.. It's also just evident by looking at any tournament that the outcome of matches between players who are close in skill is really unpredictable on any stage, including the most static of stages. So when we talk about inconsistency, finding a single video of something really unfortunate doesn't prove much. What matters is establishing that the inconsistency from a random element is significant compared to the inherent inconsistency in the game as a whole which is a product of the fact that the game has depth which is overall a pretty good thing. I don't think that's an easy case to defend.

Norfair's lava is really just not a problem and does not make people who would have won lost if we assume a high enough level of play that people don't do stupid stuff and get hit when they don't have to. I am, of course, assuming we take random events like that lava and break the effect into the parts that are skillful exploitation of stage features (99.9%) and the part that is random result of match due to random event (0.1%) and weigh them separately and only hold that 0.1% against the stage. I did just make up numbers, but the fact that when playing people I am only barely better than that I tend to go back and forth on most stages but almost always win on Green Greens and Norfair indicates to me that whatever randomness they introduce mechanically is far outweighed by the inherent advantages I have both as a player and as someone using Mr. Game & Watch. If we reach an agreement the character based advantage is fair, to me it's the same as proving that the randomness is just plain insignificant based on the weight of evidence of experience.

You betrayed what you were really thinking with "similar lay-out" though. Why do we need a similar lay-out on starters? I see no rational reason; in fact, I think the game is a lot better because there simply aren't stages that are very similar to each other. Why aren't you supporting Jungle Japes and Brinstar as starters as each of them are extraordinarily predictable? If we pick the non-random stages like Battlefield and Final Destination and not like Jungle Japes and Brinstar, don't complaints about buffing characters who do a lot better on Battlefield and Final Destination than on Jungle Japes and Brinstar suddenly make more sense?

The starter stage striking system, by the way, was actually designed by Overswarm as a way to remove the randomness of melee's poorly conceived "random neutral" system in which vaguely similar stages were picked from at random for game one which is somewhat better than always playing on the same stage game one (which would introduce huge character biases in tournament results) or playing on a random stage from all the legal stages (which would be even more luck based when Jigglypuff vs Falco rolled Mute City as the first stage) but still a really lousy system that just happened to be good enough to not hold back the game which shone through on other merits. The stage striking was designed around nine starters, and fewer starters is a move made by more "conservative" regions based largely on traditional ideas about game one stages inherited from melee.

I know you are usually pretty reasonable Avarice so I don't want to come off as harsh; I just really very strongly disagree with your thinking in your previous post, and I hope I was able to make it clear to you why.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I was mainly saying that seperating characters into "ground" and "air" is a kind of bad separation. I honestly forgot about those characters, but I meant that when someone says X character is ground and X character is air it seems like they're implying that aerial characters...fight in the air more, which isn't really the case unless you define short hops as air game. Horizontal zoning is a very important element for every character, as well as some implementation of a ground game whether it's ground to ground or air to ground offense/defense. Yes, you can approach with a short hop and yes you can defend with an OoS aerial but I don't constitute that as air game as it's not leaving the horizontal plane of the stage often. If you're making me seperate then I'd say Snake, Diddy, Falco, ICs, Olimar, Marth, Lucario, Pikachu probably, Dedede (just in A-B tier) are ground characters, but I think that's a bad separation to make.

That post was kind of rushed but true, Rainbow Cruise is consistent and with that ideal outlook on stages it should be neutral. I never said that starters should have a similar layout—I actually said that it's unfortunate they do (kind of), but it's just that the most non-intrusive stages bar RC and others I may not be thinking about all have that layout.

The problem players have with stages like Norfair and to a lesser extent Halberd and others being neutral is just the randomness. I'm not disagreeing that 99% of what happens between two skilled players on Norfair dealing with lava is skilled exploitation, but the opportunities come randomly, just as an opportunity comes randomly if a claw targets your opponent—you still have to use skill for it to come as a benefit to you but it's an opportunity that randomly came. And then Yoshi's Island Brawl is lol.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you (I could care less how many starters a tournament I go to has), I'm just saying that I thought the first, or at least a major school of thought concerning starters was, "The stage that you play on first game should have the least interference outside of player vs. player elements." The fact that they considered in Melee FD, BF, Yoshi's Island, Dreamland, whatever other stages there were as starters and not other non-random stages like RC was just community preference and taking from other fighting games' flat noninteractive stages.

eh I'm rambling and confusing myself.

Top Bottom