• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you pick each of your mains/secondaries?

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
The variety of characters in the Smash series, especially Brawl, is amazing. There are characters for every possible playstyle or ideology. I'm curious why people choose and stick with the characters they use.

For me, I was a Link main in Melee. I chose him because I like the Zelda series, I'm a sword afficionado, and I liked the range of his melee attacks and his projectile game. When I moved to Brawl, all of my favorite Link tricks became basically impossible, so I dropped him in favor of Toon Link. He plays differently, but has all the sideline bonuses that drew me to Link initially, as well as being a generally better character. I play from the air a lot, and I love the way his projectile game, zair, and aerials appeal to a crafty playstyle.

Falco was another main in Melee that carried over. I've always liked Star Fox since its heyday in the SNES era, and Falco was always among my favorite characters. I played Fox a bit in the original, and Falco plays more like him than the SSBM/SSBB Fox. I love his blaster (SOOOO satisfying, especially when you laserlock someone), and the way his tilts and aerials have just enough knockback to lead into each other makes for some great fun. I'm also VERY fond of spikes, and you don't get much better than Falco's. Spiking with his Phantasm is also really fun, despite its uselessness.

Ike was the first new character in Brawl I started playing with. Fire Emblem is another of my favorite games, and Ike's blunt character really comes out in his moveset. The sheer power in his sword strikes is a satisfying thing, especially coupled with rumble and that thundering crash. I'm also a big fan of spiking/meteor smashing, as I already mentioned, and Ike's dTilt and dair are two of Brawl's most satisfying to use. He also has a cape...

I like Marth for many of the reasons I like Ike; cape, sword, satisfying spike, Fire Emblem heritage...but Marth's one of the most elegant and precise characters around. Every move flows into the next, but he's hard to control without practice and skill. I hope to master this skill by using the Emblem Prince.

What about you? What drew you to your mains, and what keeps you there?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well...

Bowser - He is quite a heavy hitter as well as a character with good ground game, it seems his U-Dair is by far one if not the best move Bowser has.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
I play with just about everyone I like. That's almost every character but I'm no fan of eithe rof the Monkeys, Mario, Luigi, Peach, R.O.B, meta Knight, Olimar or Bowser and I would rather kill myself then play as Lucas or Ness. Other then that everyone is played by me about equally. Although the oens that seem to suit my style and therefore I'm best with seem to be Pit, pokemon trainer, Sonic and Pikachu.

So basically the simple "Because I like them" holds. Me liking has nothign to do with hwo they play, just their character in general.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
when i was a noob (like, really bad. i didn't know how to recover.) i chose kirby for his flight.
later, in melee, i had that "fire emblem pride" thing and chose marth to rival my friend's roy.
in brawl, i first chose ike and MK. I also used kirby on the side. later, i ditched ike and added lucario, then became pure kirby. now i'm kirby with captain falcon, zelda, and jiggs. together, they make the pink squad.
^_^

Panix

Smash Ace
Mained Snake because I'm a avid player of the metal gear series. Love his Dthrow, Uair, Motar shell, and his mind games and ability to make the opponent look like a fool is extremely amazing.

Seconded Marth because I played him and falco in melee religiously, and it seems the falco changed to much so I stuck with marth and his amazing fair

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Falcon.

Er, knee. Paunch. Bair. Uair.
And the fact I can blow people's minds that I am good with Falcon. I've been called, and I quote, "Godly." ^.^

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
In the original SSB, when I unlocked Ness, he without a doubt had the most unique recovery out of all of the charcters. Even besides that, I found him to be worlds different than the others, and I really wanted to use a character like that... someone who went against the grain. Because of Ness, the moment Lucas was announced, I knew I was gonna use him. Hopefully one day I'll be able to add Paula to my roster.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I chose Sonic because he sucks.

Nah... The original Sonic The Hedgehog was the 1st game I ever took seriously.

:093:

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I chose Pokemon Trainer because I wanted Charizard in Brawl, but Squirtle and Ivysaur are a huge bonus. Also Bullet Seed is good.

I also played a little bit of Meta Knight, but because of everyone else playing him, I moved to Game and Watch, with a little movement speed and recovery traded for priority and kill power.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic was my childhood.

Well, mostly Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. And the cartoons.

But as a character in Brawl, I actually enjoy his playstyle. I believe he has a lot of potential.

:093:

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
in brawl i tried the ones that looked cool
and they just came to me
after that i looked at people then stole their characters :p

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Because the Ice Climbers have alternating grabs, desynching, and 0-deaths, not to mention other good stuff.
Falco has laz0rs, and other stuff.
Peach has glide tossing, gliding, and Fair is godly. ^-^;

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
TL's my main because I mained Link in N64 and YL/Link in Melee.

I haven't played much of the Zelda series. I guess i just like that TL has a sword for longer range and excellent projectiles. Good all-round character. Great defesivly and offensivly.

ZSS is my Secondary because she's she has weird but interesting moves that Stun! YAY! & she's good lookin lol :p

Ridley5000

Smash Apprentice
meta knight and wolf are my primaries, i cant decide between them. they''re both awesome characters
my secondary would be bowser, hes quicker now with better moves AND u can be giga bowser now. wat more could u want? actually its bowser or fox/falco
fox/falco hav good speed with awesome attack and smashes (including final smash, im one of those jerks who lift people off the stage:chuckle:) and they fall faster than most characters making them harder to hit in the air

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I main Lucas because I liked Ness in Melee, but didn't get him to start.
Seconded Marth because he's cool, and I liked his moveset.
Picked up Falco and Lucario through sheer luck.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
How can maining characters just because you like their games be shallow? I thought that maining characters based on their tier position would be more shallow.

I main Wario, because I played the Wario Land games when I was little. I also main Sonic, because he's a blue Mickey Mouse who spins into a ball, has rings for health, beats up fat, evil scientiests, and who's favorite hobby is becoming super sayain.

I also like Toon Link, because the kid Links are always neater than the adult Links.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Come on, who doesn't try out the characters from their favorite games first? ;) Especially if you got into this when you were little, before you took it seriously, original series has a lot of pull on what character you start with.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
I go off of sexyness, so Snake, Toon Link, and Lucario are all pretty high on that list.

All my seconds are sexy too

Zodiac

Smash Master
R.O.B. is my main right now, no matter how much I float to another character I always gravitate back to rob, Rob and Samus I guess for now, I used to play link but since I only brawl when the situation calls for it I dont ever play with my melee mains.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Pikachu was my main in both 64 and Melee. I also used Falco as much as Pikachu in Melee, but that's besides the point.

I left the Melee competitive scene around September of last year and basically played SSB64 online in all of my free time until Brawl came out in March.
I was called by many the most tactical Pikachu player on Emularena Grounds (most SSB64-heavy emulator server on the Kaillera network) until, of course, when Isai got online.

So when Brawl came out, I completely left the competitive online scene for SSB64 and began looking into Brawl's Pikachu. I remembered I had learned most of my Melee Pikachu tricks from Anther and decided to watch his Brawl vids.

Now I have decent tourney placings on the EC with Pikachu and I plan on attending more tourneys in full force next month and next year.

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
I picked my main because when I first started playing Brawl with friends, I thought side b was the best move ever for Pit (oh lawls). Later, after I found Smashboards and worked my way up I found out Pit had so much more potential than b specials >.>

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
I've been floating around with different mains for a while, actually. I ended up choosing Captain Falcon as so :

Well, you have to understand that I don't really dislike any characters. So, to be fair, I said, "Well, every character in Brawl deserves to be my main!" And then I used a random number generator after I assigned every character a number, and got Falcon. (The reason I didn't use the Random button is because there are wierd theories on if it is actually "random" or not.)

So, yeah, I'm now a proud Captain Falcon main, and that's who I'll be sticking with. I'll most likely end up picking my secondary in a similar fashion, but D3 is probably my best character.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Although I love these kind of topics, since this kind has been done to death, my answers will be very short:

Pit - I heart KI
Wolf - I heart wolves
Lucario - Lucario is soaked in coolness
Kirby - Hi!

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
Well, I loved playing as Ness in melee and I played as Lucas the most when I first got the game. When I unlocked Ness, I at first ignored him because I thought he was inferior. The more I played him, the more I got attached :3
And I love Luigi. Always have. Plus he is my melee main and I decided to pick him again. He still is great.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I like peach... Because of her moveset... Also because she is crazy as hell and comedic..
Examples: Super Paper Mario and her Role in Subspace Emissiary
Also I love how I have to strategize with her randomness...

Example what turnip I pull Or what forward a smash I use ( Club, Racket, Pan )

And Her Model Goes Back From Her First Game..Floating makes her different from everyone else.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
SSB:

Kirby- Picked him up because during a tournament, the person I had to beat in the final match used Kirby. It was a tough match and I saw what Kirby could do.

Samus- Thought she was cool, liked her gun. I played her often and felt comfortable with her.

SSBM:

Fox- Kirby and Samus sucked in Melee, and I eventually chose Fox because I loved SF64. He fit nicely in my playstyle, and when I became competitive, I learned all of his advanced techniques and they really improved my game.

Mewtwo- Favorite pokemon ever.

SSBB:

Meta Knight- Chose him because he's top tier.

Wolf- Chose him because I like wolves and I like Wolf as a character. Also, Mewtwo was taken out and I needed someone alongside Fox.

Fox- From Melee.

Falco- To finish off the space animals trio.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Star Fox 64 was full of win.

Why is it that the Smash series ALWAYS makes the characters look so much better than they do in their own games? O.o

Anyone else (in their noobish youth) pick a character because you managed to beat a troublesome single-player challenge with it?

link2man22

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sindori
I main Sonic because I've been playing Sonic games since I was only about 3 years old. When the tier list for Brawl came out I was even more excited because Sonic was low tier and that would make all of my Smash Bros mains all low tier characters.

RZA_Immortal Technique

Smash Journeyman
i decided to main pikachu because i loved his fighting style.
i decided to have marth as my alternate because he is just...AWESomE
i used to main link in melee, but he is too slow in brawl -.-

Super Angry Luigi

Smash Apprentice
1st main: Luigi
Luigi has been my all time favorite video game character for years, and he always will be. He was my main in the first two SSB's so of course he's my main in Brawl.

2nd main: Zelda
I really like the Legend of Zelda series, but I never used Zelda in Melee and didn't plan to use her in Brawl either, but for some reason I liked putting her on my team when I did team battles in Melee, and I finally decided to try her out in Brawl. I got addicted to her, and now I love using her, so now she's my second main.

SarahPalin

Smash Cadet
I chose to main Olimar is to not be considered cheap using top-tier characters.

I chose it to be able to say "What B*tch" after beating them with a 'joke' character.

I chose it because I was attract to his manlyness.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Star Fox 64 was full of win.

Why is it that the Smash series ALWAYS makes the characters look so much better than they do in their own games? O.o

Anyone else (in their noobish youth) pick a character because you managed to beat a troublesome single-player challenge with it?
When I got SSB I was about 4, I played as Mario because he was my favorite character, then I changed to Link because I played the Zelda series, then my friend decided to play as Samus so I chose Fox just to reflect his blaster.

Chaos Reign

Smash Cadet
I've mained Link since SSB, and will never give him up.

When Brawl came out I also played Ike(b/c I liked Roy) and sonic(b/c I really liked the past games), but I eventually stopped playing them as much.

I started to play Falco a lot because one of my friends said he sucked when brawl first came out(I wanted to prove him wrong), and he just seemed to click.

KO M

Smash Apprentice
Well you guys with your mains, are just being shackled, you are bound by the main and secondary, you have a limit to what your chars can do. xD

But when you dont have a main, you can use everychar, and choose accordingly to the situation, No limit to that.

Anywho, I have no main because I like to experiment with everychar, like I said above, and choose acordingly. I just find it more useful that way. I have somewhat an advantage. because certain chars do better against others.

N64 | Kirby, Pikachu, Mario
Melee| Marth, MewTwo, DoctorMario
Brawl | no main

Top Bottom