• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHOBO 5 - Mk banned! - October 19-20th, 2013 - Houston, Tx - 1 DAYS LEFT! PLEASE BRING SET-UPS!

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Melee is guaranteed to be bigger than any previous WHOBO. i think it might be 4x the size evo was. so 696 x 4 =????

There is also ssb64 interest brewing so i can pretty much confirm there will be a ssb64 event. iirc you guys will get medals too. just like everybody else.
Am I the only one who noticed this? Did you mean divided by 4, because if it was times 4 that would be close to 2800 entrants. I did enter the melee touney and am kind of interested in how many people will be attending.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who noticed this? Did you mean divided by 4, because if it was times 4 that would be close to 2800 entrants. I did enter the melee touney and am kind of interested in how many people will be attending.
He is trolling you. There WAS a separate Melee thread that was almost completely ignored. We really don't know how big Melee will be, because most Melee players have been pretty silent. I know there might be like 30+ just from Brawl/P:M/64 players that also 2nd Melee, but I don't know which Melee players are interested.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

lmao of course there wont be 2800 melee entrants. i dont know the count as of now because i dont deal with money/registration until the day of the event. i guarantee melee will be bigger at whobo 5 than at any other WHOBO because this year its considered a main event.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Xyro, whoever from San Antonio wants to go. Trying to get a confirmed list atm. I think there's another driver too.

I'd like to help you, but unfortunately I live in Houston. Does Megabus do any kind of service in Texas?

:applejack:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
There's not really a problem on our end; Valdens is just letting Xyro know that at least a portion of San Antonio will be attending WHOBO. We just don't know exactly who for sure because we haven't assigned our carpools yet.

And yes, Megabus services Texas; Tesh has been reminding everyone to buy tickets early for $1 the past few months. Hell, ever since he found out it finally opened in Texas.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
i know this is a long shot but ill come and team with whoever pays my ticket or most of it. I'm not expecting to get a positive response to this, but I'm just throwing it out there just in case I get lucky.

Oh dear... I fear for my family's health should he actually come. Hmmmm, I would be interested to say the least to see him come but I think the only problem is paying the fee to get in the venue.

There's not really a problem on our end; Valdens is just letting Xyro know that at least a portion of San Antonio will be attending WHOBO. We just don't know exactly who for sure because we haven't assigned our carpools yet.

And yes, Megabus services Texas; Tesh has been reminding everyone to buy tickets early for $1 the past few months. Hell, ever since he found out it finally opened in Texas.

Exactly what Geo said. :p

:applejack:

OAM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OAM37
East Texas is fielding the following players for WHOBO for Brawl/Project M singles and dubs and possibly Melee:

me (ETFC|MikeOHara)
RaveMaster47
Psychoace
Minifox5

Only way we won't make it is if I start a new job prior to WHOBO (I'm graduating college with two AAS degrees in Information Technology on Friday).

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Just in case sync, esca or anybody else that is housing get full you can stay at the hotel around the corner from the venue for 89.99$ a night. These rates are 1st come 1st serve so see information below for more details. Cut off date is Oct 12 so book asap before the special rate sells out!

Hotel Address: Holiday Inn Suites 6687 Southwest Freeway, Houston, Tx 77074
Phone number: (713) 776-2633
Rate: 89.99$ a night with mentioning Promo Code: "WB5"

Option 1: (Phone): Call (713) 776-2633 and mention Group Code: WB5. Cash will not be accepted as a form of payment to book your hotel room. Everything must be done through credit cards only (Preferably in advance). The following dates have been reserved: Oct 18, 19, 20 for you to choose from. This is a 1st come 1st serve so book your hotel now before this special rate sells out!

Option 2: (Online): http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/houston/housf/hoteldetail?groupCode=wb5

OAM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OAM37
Also to add to what ABK has said, there is a La Quinta Inn and Suites within walking distance of the venue (if I remember right, the actual address is 6790 Southwest Fwy). and is $59 for double beds or $64 for a single king bed. This would work for most if either sync or esca get full on housing and the Holiday Inn ends up being full for some strange reason.

GoldMegaman

Smash Cadet
Melee players aren't silent. Houston players just resided to Facebook, so I doubt they're advertising around.
Yea thats true that the melee players moved to facebook. I heard there working on getting melee streamed and that abk will be buying clear. This is great for whobo.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
sorry M2K but I already have a teammate

Tesh

Smash Hero
Iono M2K, you are damn near guaranteed to win Project M and Melee (thats 4 events/medals) and I see you are pretty good at 64 as well. Seems like you'd be able to win a good bit of money while having fun regardless.

I think it would be awesome to see you come to this, alot of people have mentioned it, but I don't think anyone is going to pay 200+ dollars for you to team with them. Especially with MK banned (so its not as likely you can just carry them into the money). Aren't you sponsored or something?

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
no one can help ;-; ill team with whoever helps lol

If your spending $200 to get here you probably will make your money back and some if you win. Take note there is a 500$ pot bonus for singles thats up for grabs as well. You still have some time to save money and plan!

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Hmmmmm, it is the chance of a lifetime to team up with M2K and possibly face him too... I relish in such challenges. :sonic:

Tesh

Smash Hero
M2K is basically legendary with MK, known to never touch other characters in singles. There are going to be massive sidebets on how well he would do in singles. Multiple people have told me they would put up 5-20 dollars that M2K will not get top 8 without MK.

Personally I'm betting on M2K to get money in singles if he shows up.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
M2K is basically legendary with MK, known to never touch other characters in singles. There are going to be massive sidebets on how well he would do in singles. Multiple people have told me they would put up 5-20 dollars that M2K will not get top 8 without MK.

Personally I'm betting on M2K to get money in singles if he shows up.
^this. M2K is still M2K even if he isn't playing MK. We know he's able to play multiple characters really well based on melee. For all we know, he could have some incredible secret secondary that he's never used because there was never a reason for him to switch from MK

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Back at whobo 2 or 3 (cant remember) i think m2k reached top 4 in mid tier singles using IKE. He was beating people who mained mid tier for 3-4 years with a 5 day old IKE.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Are any Ike mains going to this? should team with M2K's Ike and call themselves Ike Climbers

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
LOL don't sidebet on me in brawl without MK (not even sure if i would enter yet). I have next to no knowledge or experience with other chars or MUs except MK vs <insert matchup>. I did this on purpose since 2008 because I decided there was no reason to learn anything other than MK vs <MU> since he can handle anything. I play many chars in Melee/PM. Only Kirby in 64 and only MK in Melee.

Top Bottom