• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who was the first character you played and who is your main now?

LegendOfZelda

Smash Apprentice
Do you still play the first character you played?

My friend introduced my to SSB64 when I was in 4th grade, so the first character I played was Yoshi. Not too many people play him but he *****, and I still play him today. I would probably consider him my main although I'm not completely sure about maining him. My Falcon is good too...I really play everyone though. :D

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I played with Kirby for years. At first it was because the stone attack was invincible. Then it was because his jumps made him impossible to kill. Then it was because his drills were godly. I was a naive soul back then.

Then one day I played Isai, watched in awe as his Pikachu chased me to the edge of the stage with combos and then quick attacked back, and thought "holy **** I wanna do that too." And now I do.

Notice that I never considered Kirby's utilt as a reason for using him. Somehow I had no idea it was so broken until long after I stopped using him.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I started with Link, because he was strong..Ftilt and Fsmash own!

but then i moved onto pikachu...and i stayed there! (once i learned the advanced techs of smash)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I started with link, I main falcon now but my link is still strong from experience. Honnestly Im trying to convert link to my main character these days through training but my falcon is still better since falcon is the easiest character in the game to win with.

Honestly I feel ashamed that I used to take pride in my falcon skills, It's falcon. Anyone with thumbs can do his combos, but at the very least I can do his advanced combos that newbie uair uair uair uair yehs!!11! falcon players don't do. :)

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I started with Link, honestly because i liked the bombs (was a bomberman fan!). Years later, when i was about a year and a half into my melee tourney attendance (it was summer '07), I picked up ness in 64. I still sucked at the game, it was just for fun. Now i still suck, but I'm working on it. I main the jiggs now, nasty rest comboz!!!

MattNF

Smash Lord
First character I used was Link in Classic mode. I've done classic mode with link in every smash game as the VERY first thing I do. It's like tradition. :p

My mains now are various characters depending on who I feel like using.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Everyone loves link that little poof.

LINK TO THE PAST WAS 2 GOOD! that's why and we all know it.

Pfft to ocarina, pfft I say

*I love ocarina too* :)

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I started with Link in ssb64 all those years ago, then Fox as well. I chose Link because I loved Ocarina of Time which I was playing just before or at the same time as smash64.

Then a huge gap of who knows how many years before I picked the game up again. Now I main... I don't know actually, but I'd say Fox/Pika just because I do better with them. I also use Luigi a lot more now and in spirit consider him a main or at least a secondary.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm using a ps2 controller pretty well in training mode on mupen right now, its not great but its actually better than what Ive had before, I can pull off a lot of things I can do on console.

I feel Id rather play a human opponent though like I used to online, I need to add people to msn or something that p2p with mupen.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I started with Mario because when I got 64, I was 5 and played casually. Once I found out about competitive Smash in 2007, I played 64 again (along with Melee) and found my main to be Falcon with Fox and Link as secondaries.

Now, Falcon is still my main, Link is still my secondary and I have 3 other characters that I can't decide who's better than the other when I play as them. (Fox, Samus, and DK)

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Kirby, and all I would do is down b/up b. I play fox now, not well, but I play him

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I started with Samus, added Zelda in Melee, and then put Lucario in the front in Brawl. (This is cutting out all of the history of me getting my butt kicked, my long sleep, getting good again, and then Brawl).

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I started with Falcon and DK

my DK was a grab spammer and my Falcon was also....I spammed the falcon kick and up b with falcon besides dashing grabs....

I also did spike combos with dk like back throw to spike and falcon back throw to spike

this all changed when I played Isai in friendlies at Smashtality II where he clobbered me.

I now use Yoshi as a main, but I still go back to Falcon, but I can use everyone well. DK has become probably my worst or second worst character now.

chivesontheweb

Smash Cadet
Mario must have been my first choice all those years ago. I don't remember for sure but it's the only one I can imagine myself using at that young age. Now I play Yoshi because I want a challenge for myself while learning the competitive side to the game. I didn't want to be a Kirby noob or Mario noob, so I chose to be a Yoshi noob. :D

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
i started with mario in ssb 64 but now in brawl i main G&W
the only 2-d character in brawl

(blondekid)

Smash Apprentice
Back in teh heyday i was a dkgrabber. Was introduced to z canceling brushed that off my shoulder. Decided i was gunna grab the **** out of isai at a tourney. Didnt work out that way though..... I am now a Dk/Yoshi/Pika guy. But for teh combos and teh owning, of course i go for pika. But i **** with Dk still

ShellFall

Smash Cadet
i started out as link back in the day. set the game down for a long time then about 4 years ago started playing again.i did alot of switching then, started link again, then fox, then falcon. now i have been consistently maining Pika/Fox. :)

Pika/Fox

LegendOfZelda

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff guys :] Smash 64 is definitely ftw.

Also, who do you enjoy playing for fun a lot knowing you can't REALLY main him/her due to either being better with other characters of just the fact that they're at the bottom of the teir list or just are terrible.

I really like playing Link, Samus, and Luigi.

Link: He's just so awesome. I consider him in his prime in 64 although I know he got better in Melee. Boomerang/Bomb combos are f***ing sweet. I'm good with him but I don't use dair that much even though it's his best move really.

Samus: You have to be a Nazi to not like Samus. Bounty Hunter status. Her charge shot is too good! She's got that "bair of death" too. That leg reaches out Sooooooooooooooooooo far. :D

Luigi: Up+B. 'nuff said. Super jump punch combos are made of win.

=]

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Lets see I started with link due to his power and I liked link alot, then I moved on to Samus and played her for years then, after that I started playing as DK cause i dont know why, and now I jump from playing Dk & Fox and trying to train both of them to be better.

Seala

Smash Apprentice
Started out as Kirby back in the days, and when I picked the game up again a few months back I started playing kirby because I remembered I kicked *** with him. After a while my friends started whining about kirby being overpowered (at this point I didnt play online, I only played with 2 rl friends and we all sucked) so eventually I went over to Pikachu and after a few weeks when I had gotten good enough to kick their ***** more or less every game (accualy I won alot just because I z-cancel by mistake without knowing it, I used r to do fair and then I spammed r to grab as fast as possible and then I accidently z-canceled) they convinced me I should play more then one character at a time. So I did, since then I've been playing all characters except for Luigi and Yoshi. My mains are Jigglypuff and falcon tho.

Ultimate650

Smash Rookie
i used to play as fox in super smash bros. (i don't anymore i find him to......fidgity) and mario as well then in melee i played as mr. game and watch,ness,captin falcon and........fox now i play as lucas,ness,mr.game and watch,captin falcon,link (sometimes) and thts about it....oh! and pit :) but my ultimate fav is captin falcon,always has been

craiigg

Smash Lord
i'd like to remind people this is the SIXTY FOUR SECTION
not a brawl topic.

i used to main Mario =s, then moved to fox and now i kinda just main pika/fox/falcon

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
i'd like to remind people this is the SIXTY FOUR SECTION
not a brawl topic.

i used to main Mario =s, then moved to fox and now i kinda just main pika/fox/falcon
I hate your pikachu!

But yeah, i think most of the Brawl posters here know this is smash64, but they are just adding some extra info...most of them state they played "x" char in Smash64, then state who they play in Melee/Brawl :p

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
What did you find so “intriguing” about jigglypuff? I mean its not everyday you get a top smasher who mostly plays jigglypuff :p
Up Throw Rest =P

But really, in the first tournament I ever went to, sombody saw my mario against this peach after I lost and he knew who I secondaried so he told me to try using Jigglypuff. It was alot closer but I lost anyways. Then during the summer of 05 I watched the video Puff Stuff. I learned so much about jiggs in that video.

-Rising Pound
-Up Throw Rest and other rest combos
-WOP

So I spent like all summer learning how to play jiggs. I still mained Mario in 64 and I thought Jigglypuff was a really bad character, once I learned how to play Jiggs in 64 though she became my main.

However Brawl isn't the case, its the first game where Jigglypuffs actually bad so I picked up Diddy Kong who was my secondary at the time. A crew Member of mine told me to drop Jiggs, it was hard for me to do but I did and I started maining Diddy in brawl around september 08.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Notice that I never considered Kirby's utilt as a reason for using him. Somehow I had no idea it was so broken until long after I stopped using him.
Isn't that ironic? Most kirby smashers (like 95% of us) that were casual or when they were casual before getting good never realized how broken kirby's utilt is. All we cared about was "OMFG 3 SPIKES, SUICIDE MOVE, AND AWSUM RECOVERY. HAX!"

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Started with Kirby for a short time, then Ness, then I was tired of his ****ty recovery DJC issues and switched to Falcon, Mario and DK.

Top Bottom