• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here knows more than one language?

Moozle

Smash Champion
OHEY I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but this week is national foreign language week in the US.

Cinder

Smash Master

Cinder

Smash Master
I created an event page on FB for it...only 7 people have said yes where 20 said no ;_;

On top of that, my gf and I went through the groups for languages...the ones with the most members are anti-foreign-language groups. I'm saddened ;_;

Moozle

Smash Champion

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I created an event page on FB for it...only 7 people have said yes where 20 said no ;_;

On top of that, my gf and I went through the groups for languages...the ones with the most members are anti-foreign-language groups. I'm saddened ;_;
That's ridiculous.
Of the kids at my school, most of them actually enjoy hearing or even learning new languages.

-Terywj

Cinder

Smash Master
That's ridiculous.
Of the kids at my school, most of them actually enjoy hearing or even learning new languages.

-Terywj
Inorite? People are just stupid...seriously, I changed the description to add "You don't have to know a second language. Just join if you support us." and we're still getting no's. 14-31, with 8 on the fence >.>

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
It was only a matter of time (anyone who's seen me around lately should have seen this coming). Who here knows more than one language? Do you want to learn any others?

I have an entire list. Of these, I'm comfortable saying I know Spanish and Swedish at or slightly above beginner (Spanish at an intermediate level).

«Native languages»
English
My un-named language

«High desire of fluency»
German
Swedish
Spanish
Italian
Dutch

«Moderate desire of fluency»
Scottish Gaelic
Irish Gaelic
American Sign Language
Hungarian

«Desire to be passable»
French
Portuguese
Latin
Arabic
Icelandic
Belorussian/Belarusian (two different spellings)
Faroese
Russian
Romanian
Basque

«May/may not learn»
Japanese
Assamese
Norwegian
Afrikaans
Finnish
Danish
Hindi

Yes, I'm a language nerd...I will not deny that...I've chosen linguistics as my major for a reason xD

Anyway, what about y'all?
Cool story, bro!

Actually, just kidding, I think language geeks are awesome! I myself am one too, and I was THIS close from choosing linguistics as my major... but I had to pick between Music, Linguistics, and Computer Science, and Computer Science won... I still do a lot of music at my uni though. I hope to go back and get a degree in linguistics one day... and maybe do some research in computational linguistics!

so I decided to make a list like yours:

«Native languages»
English
Spanish
-HTML *snicker*

«High desire of fluency»
Japanese
French
German
Italian
Portuguese
-C
-Python/Ruby
-Haskell
-Java
-Csound

Icelandic
Swedish
Chinese
Korean
Finnish
Tagalog
Russian
-Javascript
-PHP
-C++

«Desire to be passable»
Arabic
Hawaiian
Turkish

«May/may not learn»
Swahili
Mongolian
-Erlang

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Here's my new list.

Fluency
- Cantonese Chinese [Native] (15 years)
- Mandarin Chinese [Native] (15 years)
- English (12 years)

Moderacy / Conversational
- Hakka Chinese [Native] (15 years)
- Italian (3 years)

Basic
- Japanese (1 month)

Nonexistent
- Spanish (2 years)

Can Read
- Spanish

Want to Learn
- Vietnamese
- Korean

May / not want to Learn
- Taiwanese

-Terywj

Cinder

Smash Master
=\

I think I'll ask around my school to see if we have the National Language Day..

-Terywj
Sounds good. And even if your school doesn't, it doesn't mean you can't celebrate it ;D I mean, the week IS national.

And <3 Fantasia. Quite a list. Best of luck with Finnish. A friend of mine that speaks a little told me about the 15 cases.

Anyway, I've updated my list:

«Native languages»
English
My un-named language

«High desire of fluency»
German
Swedish
Spanish
Italian
Dutch

Scottish Gaelic
Irish Gaelic
American Sign Language
Hungarian
Romanian
Bulgarian

«Desire to be passable»
French
Portuguese
Latin
Arabic
Icelandic
Belorussian/Belarusian (two different spellings)
Faroese
Russian
Basque
Czech

«Curious about and will most likely learn»
Coptic (Ancient Egyptian)
Old Norse
Na'Vi (yes, the language from Avatar...no spoilers, per favore)
Anglo-Saxon (a.k.a. Old English...as in, before 1066 English)
Any other ancient language I can get my hands on

«Will most likely add to list»
Japanese
Assamese
Norwegian
Afrikaans
Finnish
Danish
Hindi
Mandarin Chinese

mikesleeve

Smash Rookie
Hi!
I know more than one language. I know following language.
English and
French.
I also want to learn Dutch language.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
A friend of mine that speaks a little [Finnish] told me about the 15 cases.
I actually had to check Wikipedia to see what you meant by that..

I was amazed that I could only remember 2 cases' names + what it implies; Nominative and Genitive. The correct forms for the words come naturally (...most of the time, sometimes not so naturally), and the case names are never needed after Middle School, where they're used during the courses that explain Finnish as if it was taught to a foreigner.

And anyone who wants to learn Finnish is respectable in my books... Atleast at first impression.

Cinder said:
«Curious about and will most likely learn»
Na'Vi (yes, the language from Avatar...no spoilers, per favore)
Bah.. Tolkien's Elvish language(s) is/are much more worth learning. :p

Talking about constructed languages, I know someone who knows (or knew) Klingon and a bit of Tolkien's Elvish (No clue which of them).

t3akup

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, this is annoying to talk about since 9 out of every 10 people that
I tell don't believe me but:

Fluent in:
English;
Japanese; (yes, I SPEAK AND READ FLUENT JAPANESE)
Spanish; (more like I understand it)

In the process of learning:
Korean;
German;

Wish to study:
Russian;
What ever language they speak in Zimbabwe :]

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I don't actually know. But instead of typing "the language of Zimbabwe" I just went with Zimbabwian. xD

You know Korean. I envy you.

-Terywj

t3akup

Smash Apprentice
Hangul is NOT easy to learn.
It's so confusing (but then again I am kinda slow...)

oh kpop fan I see.

I started learning Korean when I heard of this one
group (DBSK/THSK/TVXQ) and fell in love with one
of their songs. I wanted to learn the language because
the way it was sung was beautiful :]

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I just looked it up. The "official" language of Zimbabwe is actually English, but it recognizes Shona and Ndebele as regional languages.
I never said it was Zimbabwian okay? That never happened. :p

I just want to learn Korean not only for Korean music, but I find that it's the most unique language out of China / Japan / Korea.

-Terywj

t3akup

Smash Apprentice
AHAHA, so technically i already know the language of zimbabwe!!
WHOOP! and we can still call it Zimbabwian if you'd like Terywj :]
After all that is what they speak in Zimbabwe XD

D

Deleted member

Right now, I only know one language, however, I am learning Spanish. Despite making very good grades in Spanish, I still sturggle to memorize some words. I really don't get it, but then again, this is the 2nd year, so prehaps I'l be fluent by Spanish IV.

I'll be taking Spanish until I am fluent in it and can speak it naturally like native Spanish speakers.

The language I have the most desire to learn is Japanese. Hey if you want to work at Nintendo, you have to learn Japanese (Yes, I'm working at Nintendo when I grow up).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Right now, I only know one language, however, I am learning Spanish. Despite making very good grades in Spanish, I still sturggle to memorize some words. I really don't get it, but then again, this is the 2nd year, so prehaps I'l be fluent by Spanish IV.

I'll be taking Spanish until I am fluent in it and can speak it naturally like native Spanish speakers.

The language I have the most desire to learn is Japanese. Hey if you want to work at Nintendo, you have to learn Japanese (Yes, I'm working at Nintendo when I grow up).
You don't really become fluent in classes. As I mentioned earlier, I knew very few Hispanics before getting into college and less of those spoke Spanish. As a result, my hearing isn't that great. To become fluent, you need to be surrounded by the language. That's one of the reasons why I joined this Hispanic club at my college. A lot of the people in the club are bilingual (but not all) so I get to hear the language more than I typically get to.

Unfortunately, because it's a Hispanic club and not exclusively a Mexican-American one in my case, you would hear different dialects and accents of Spanish that you might not be familiar with and that might give you an unusual accent and dialect when speaking Spanish.

Still, I suggest watching Spanish shows with English subs and listening to music in Spanish (try reggaeton). If my experience with anime and J-pop is any indication, you'll at least pick up the words even if you can't understand them.

Since you're in Texas, I suggest going to public places and keep an eye on anyone speaking Spanish, especially at grocery stores, but don't eavesdrop.:laugh:

Underload

Lazy
I speak English and Polish fluenty, and I'm learning French right now (sophomore in high school), and will probably minor in it once I get to college.

Reide

Smash Rookie
I speak danish (since it's my native language), english, german, a very little bit of spanish and japanese.

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
I can speak english fluently, and mandarin chinese quite well, but I'm illiterate in that language QQ. I also took 3 years of german in high school....but i'm prolly terrible by now haha. I've always wanted to learn japanese!

Top Bottom