• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here knows more than one language?

Vlade

Social Outcast
I am fluent in English and Japanese

I would really like to learn Mandarin because my Girlfriend is fluent in that, and it's amusing because she really wants to learn Japanese >_>

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
Grew up with: English and Italian.
Fluent in: English
Used to be fluent in: Italian and French
A smidgen of: Spanish

kbear

Smash Cadet
I'm fluent in English and Korean.
I'm learning Spanish and hoping to go to Spain for overseas travel.

Mr. Game and Pichu

Smash Journeyman
English: Native Language.
French: More than enough to get around, but not completly fluent.
Portuguese: VERY VERY little, like under 70 words.

Ojibway seems interesting to learn. I have a heritage in Ojibwe tribes.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I speak perfect English, and some German, but learning German is a waste of time, because in a few years time, all countries in the world will be able to speak English.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Cantonese Chinese: Primary language, fluent / constant speaker, began speaking Canto at age 1 I believe.
Mandarin Chinese: Second language, took 10 years Chinese school (basically Mandarin lessons). Average to above average is all aspects (listening, writing, speaking, reading and typing)
Hakka Chinese: Tertiary language, used to speak it a lot but has now faded away. Still use random Hakka words from time to time.
English: Fourth language. Picked up when I was like 4 or 5.
Spanish: I gave up on this after two years.
Italian: Fifth language, beeing studying for 3 years in high school, may or may not do a fourth year.
Japanese: Sixth language, very limited knowledge but will be taking Japanese classes this / next month.

My dad will be teaching me Vietnamese pretty soon. That or Japanese will be established as my 6th language, haha.
I want to do / learn at least two languages during college: Mandarin and Korean. I'd do Canto but not many colleges offer Cantonese. =\

Do I win the most languages cookie? xD

-Terywj

Cinder

Smash Master
I speak perfect English, and some German, but learning German is a waste of time, because in a few years time, all countries in the world will be able to speak English.
I really can't stand this attitude. One, it's a sign of respect to learn someone else's language, so while they're learning English, we should be learning their language(s). Two, not every single person in every single country will be fluent in English in a few years' time. There is now and will always be a reason to learn new languages and a need for linguistics majors like myself.

Cantonese Chinese: Primary language, fluent / constant speaker, began speaking Canto at age 1 I believe.
Mandarin Chinese: Second language, took 10 years Chinese school (basically Mandarin lessons). Average to above average is all aspects (listening, writing, speaking, reading and typing)
Hakka Chinese: Tertiary language, used to speak it a lot but has now faded away. Still use random Hakka words from time to time.
English: Fourth language. Picked up when I was like 4 or 5.
Spanish: I gave up on this after two years.
Italian: Fifth language, beeing studying for 3 years in high school, may or may not do a fourth year.
Japanese: Sixth language, very limited knowledge but will be taking Japanese classes this / next month.

My dad will be teaching me Vietnamese pretty soon. That or Japanese will be established as my 6th language, haha.
I want to do / learn at least two languages during college: Mandarin and Korean. I'd do Canto but not many colleges offer Cantonese. =\

Do I win the most languages cookie? xD

-Terywj
In terms of skill, most likely. In terms of desired/know any, I've got 28 under my belt, including the language I'm trying to make. Granted, I barely know/memorized most of those 28, but in due time...in due time...

Engo

Smash Ace
I speak English and Spanish. I know a bit of French.

I REALLY want to become fluent at french.(Mainly speaking it since I can understand a great deal of what I read)

Some other languages I'd be interested(or have tried and gave up)in learning are Japanese, German maybe even Latin. French is my number one priority at the moment, however.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Of course, since I live in Denmark, I am fluent in Danish. I also speak English. I have been learning it since I was 10, but I wouldn't be able to speak or write it half as well if it wasn't for English being all over the internet, video games and movies :)
I know a little bit of German, but probably not enough to have a conversation :ohwell:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well Im bilingual (thats how you spell it?). Spanish and english. Well since I live in Florida, I kinda had this coming but yeah...

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
I'm fluent in:
Finnish (obviously),
English (also quite obvious),

I should know, but don't:
Swedish (I technically should learn it, because it's the second official language of Finland, but I never bothered to pay attention in school)

I shouldn't know (because I won't most likely be needing it for almost anything), but am studying anyway:
Japanese.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would love to learn esperanto

I'm fluent in.....english
I wish i was fluent (and i'm trying my hardest) in spanish but i've grown to hate the language (wat a morale booster) due to being around it so much (my heritage) and the constant nagging and being made fun of from other hispanics because i don't speak spanish. Ugh -_-
I guess I got lucky. Without having Hispanics around me while I was growing up (made me feel like a freak to some extent), I wasn't pressured to learn the language until I got into my Spanish classes in high school (racism was abound in my first class) since my dad didn't really try to teach my sisters or me the language (my mom never learned it).

Anyway, English is my native language and I guess you can say intermediate level for Spanish. I can read roughly 60-70% of most Spanish sentences and I have somewhat difficulty hearing any Spanish words in the middle of a sentence unless it's certain words that just automatically translate in my mind. Nowadays, in order to improve my hearing, I listen to some Spanish fandubs on Youtube and occasionally check the Spanish channel because I can hear Japanese, despite not understanding it, rather well, and I figured that I can do the same for Spanish.

I don't know whether or not I'll take a language course in college considering that I tested out of my language requirements (and an elective) before I went to college. However, if I do, I'll probably take Mandarin or Japanese. Both would be practical for me in the future.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I know the language of Awesomeness.

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
I babelfish all the languages that I don't know. Does that count as anything?

Cinder

Smash Master
I babelfish all the languages that I don't know. Does that count as anything?
No, no it doesn't. By "know", I refer to actually...you know...knowing it...no help, no "oh, I can just use a translator"...you can't learn to speak another language from a translation program, now can you? You can't be in a conversation with someone in real life and use a translator.

stelzig

Smash Lord
I really can't stand this attitude. One, it's a sign of respect to learn someone else's language, so while they're learning English, we should be learning their language(s). Two, not every single person in every single country will be fluent in English in a few years' time. There is now and will always be a reason to learn new languages and a need for linguistics majors like myself.
I don't completely agree with his attitude, but i'm also annoyed about being forced to learn a third language other than danish and english for several years. Like for 3 years you have to do german or french. After that you have to choose to either continue with that language or pick up a fourth one in the "gymnasium" which is the most common place to go to after 9th/10th grade.
I mean i understand that it can be useful, but when you can either choose a mathematical or a lingual type of study at these places then i think it's lame that everyone have to learn a third language as you can definetly manage with just english these days and other countries are getting better and better every day.

Uh. Naturally i speak danish and english. I also know a bit of german and spanish though i'm horrible at both - especially spanish. Can usually understand norwegian and also a (very) small bit of swedish (which gets easier for me if i'm around them for a while, but i get out of it again quickly). I can probably understand german better than swedish. In text i can usually understand all of the languages mentioned, except spanish.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I don't get why people want to learn Japanese. Unless they're gonna live there, isn't it kind of useless? Whenever I see someone online saying "I wanna learn Japanese/I know very limited Japanese, I'd like to improve/etc." I can only think they want to do it just to be able to understand their current kawaii Anime they're watching. Seriously, it's difficult as hell and it takes ages to be fluent.

You'll always be a "gaijin", like they say.

E3_

Smash Apprentice
I kinda speak french. Thats hard to me for some reason. Japanese is easier and much more fun to me dat is

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I don't get why people want to learn Japanese. Unless they're gonna live there, isn't it kind of useless? Whenever I see someone online saying "I wanna learn Japanese/I know very limited Japanese, I'd like to improve/etc." I can only think they want to do it just to be able to understand their current kawaii Anime they're watching. Seriously, it's difficult as hell and it takes ages to be fluent.

You'll always be a "gaijin", like they say.
I learn it because I geniunely want to and it will increase my range of languages, as far as music is concerned.

I already know Mandarin and Cantonese, and I frequently listen to J- and K-Pop, so furthering my knowledge in the latter two languages would be quite beneficial.

-Terywj

Top Bottom