• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I don't care either. Hell, I've defeated people who wavedashed and got *** kicked by ones who don't. I guess the pro-wavedash for Brawl are like the stereotypical Christians.
(And I'm a Christian btw)

They're intolerant of other's respects and opinions. It's one of the reasons I favor the anti-wave-dashers over the pro-ones
Actually, the anti-wavedashers are ALSO intolerant of each other's respects and opinions. Both sides seem to hate the other.

Actually, if you didn't wavedash, most likely, the people you fought who wavedashed stunk at it. Wavedashing does not immediately improve your skill. You need to learn how to use it.

Its one of those things that has like 1000 uses for it. Some examples....

1) Someone attacks, you reverse wavedash to dodge, then punish the opponent.
2) With Mario, wavedash forward into a jab [standing A]. Follow with C-Sticked downsmash.
3) Shabawd trick, shorthop with Mario, back-air, then landing wavedash. Using it, I managed to wall of pain my brother's Luigi [although he stinks at Luigi].
4) Wavedash to edgehog.
5) Fox's pulse walk trick. Dash at the opponent, wavedash back, dash again, wavedash back again. It is good for tricking the opponent. I managed to do it with Mario. :laugh:
6) Waveshine
7) Fakeouts
8) Dashdance, then dash at your opponent, on the way there, wavedash back, then strike. A fakeout

Also, about the comment that people who wavedash don't play for fun, and only go for money, the truth it, tournaments can be fun. Also, that's what smashfests are for. Its possible to use the techs and STILL have fun.

intensezkramer1993

Smash Cadet
So true. Sometimes Wavedashing is one of the greatest things to use for defense. I use it to play mind games with my little brother. I would dash at him with Samus, then jump over him & drop a bomb. It stops him from doing anything for a second, giving me an opportunity to hit him.

Brawl is gonna suck.

Also, I'm surfing the web with my Wii!

mark.

Smash Journeyman
umm if running and wding back is the only thing your gonna use wavedashing for, they might as well take out wavedashing in brawl cause you can just replace that with a dashdance, and its faster, AND you can use a run attack to tech chase after it. duhhhh~~

and dylan, stop calling people noobs on the boards because you registered no longer than a week ago, and you just postwhore (kinda). 25.66 posts a day?! crazy.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I don't care either. Hell, I've defeated people who wavedashed and got *** kicked by ones who don't. I guess the pro-wavedash for Brawl are like the stereotypical Christians.
(And I'm a Christian btw)

They're intolerant of other's respects and opinions. It's one of the reasons I favor the anti-wave-dashers over the pro-ones
No offense, but ''I can beat my friends that wavedash'' Isn't really enhancing your argument. The point I keep trying to make is that you don't NEED wavedashing, its not the most important skill, however with its many uses I see no reason to shun it, there are a TON of things you can do with it. Even people like ANIKI who rarely wavedash onstage, use it from time to time to achieve something they could not without the WD in an edgehog, fakeout, moving smash attack, etc.

I don't get why anyone would shun the wavedash, good luck competing without it, chances are you wont make it past pools unless you're a really good captain falcon player or something, he doesnt really need the WD for much.

Wavedashing is incredibly easy to do, I smash with 2 friends my own age and a 12 year old girl, sister of one of my friends, her peach is pretty **** good, she does all the advanced techs, and finds no difficulty in wavedashing.

Trust me, it takes exactly one hour, or even less to learn how it works at first, and a few smashdays to figure out how to use it in a match. Wavedashing is really, really, really easy. I wouldnt even call it an advanced technique since even people who dont win 1 match at tourneys can do it.

umm if running and wding back is the only thing your gonna use wavedashing for, they might as well take out wavedashing in brawl cause you can just replace that with a dashdance, and its faster, AND you can use a run attack to tech chase after it. duhhhh~~

and dylan, stop calling people noobs on the boards because you registered no longer than a week ago, and you just postwhore (kinda). 25.66 posts a day?! crazy.
How about you don't tell me what to do? K thanks. Post whores tend to post things like ''lol'' and short meaningless posts to up their post count, not 5 paragraph posts like the one I just made. Luckily I type very fast so a post like this one doesnt take me more than 3 mins to do.

Oh and if you think dashdancing, and pulse walking are ANYTHING alike, you have no business telling other people what to do. You can't MOVE while dash dancing, its an in place back and forth movement, fox's pulse walk allows him to gain distance, you can wavedash whatever distance you like backwards, and run as far as you want forwards and cancel it imediatly.

I can not call you a noob, if youd like, it wont change the fact that you are one though, thats all that really matters. But being a newbie is fine, its ignorance and preset wrong opinions like yours that cause mental blocks during a smash match and would cause you to lose. So please, instead of responding to this post by telling me to shut the **** up, try to learn something. k?

Another good Mindgame with fox is shorthop towards, waveland backwards, I see Zelgadis doing that to trick his opponents a lot. I personally prefer pulse walking, but I mix it up when I play fox.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yes Dylan does post A TON, and he might flame people left and right, but I agree with most of his statements.

Ummm, if I'm correct dashdancing doesn't get you anywhere during a match. It's only used to fake out your opponent, you can't move with it mark.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
woah woah woah woah woah.

sorry mario-man, but if i use fox i use dashdancing more than wavedashing for fakeouts.
but, you can move with dashdancing if you dashdance in one direction, and its faster than running. called, a foxtrot.

but i said that because some people thought the only reason for wavedashing is for that specific fakeout, and they should keep it in brawl cause of it.

edit:

umm you can move slowly forward during fox's pulse walk, time it so that you use the forward dash longer than the backwards dash. duhh~~
and theres also a crouch cancel to instant stop, a wavedash, and a pivot. dashdancing isnt just running back and forth in the same place, just understand it.

and DONT call me a noob. how am i a noob? i said (kinda) cause you post modestly, but its still unright to call people a noob post wise.

and that mindgame you said at the bottom of your post (even though there arent really preset mindgames) is called a circle jump, for your information. make sure that fox's shorthop goes up for a while, until he does that flip, then waveland back.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yes Dylan does post A TON, and he might flame people left and right, but I agree with most of his statements.

Ummm, if I'm correct dashdancing doesn't get you anywhere during a match. It's only used to fake out your opponent, you can't move with it mark.
I've given up on the flaming thing. I take a more diplomatic approach to posting now, Dizzy convinced me to settle down with some of the best arguments I've gotten. Arguing back with me with stupidity just fuels my flame wars, but dizzy made some great points about where I stand in the smash community, so why should I be vulgar?

My opinions won't change, like the post I just made. I'm just not going to be mean / vulgar in the manner in which I post.

sorry mario-man, but if i use fox i use dashdancing more than wavedashing for fakeouts.
but, you can move with dashdancing if you dashdance in one direction, and its faster than running. called, a foxtrot.
LOL. Dashdancing in one direction? hahahhahahahahahah. Good luck being taken seriously.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I never thought I'd see this day. Mario-man has taken over this topic as the alpha male and Dylan has changed his ways. It's insane...

intensezkramer1993

Smash Cadet
I think Wavedashing is the most USEFUL thing in SSBM. First of all, Dashdancing is great, but only good for mind games. Second, just need to clarify this, wavedashing isn't required to learn. It is something to use for faster movement. I , personally, can do it, but most of the time I don't. It's not something like "Oh! I really need to know how to Wavedash because everyone else can do it." No, it's no where near there.

I think, instead of me writing an entire life story in this post, am just going to say this.

If you want faster movement, use Wavedashing. If you love to play mind games, Wavedashing is a priority. If you want to learn it just for fun, go ahead. It doesn't matter. I did it for fun too.
I realize there are more things that Wavedashing can do, but most of the reasons are invalid due to how you play. I play mind games, but I don't Wavedash alot. I just use it for a faster landing and to shuffle. That's it. Nothing else. I prefer running for movement instead of Wavedashing across the stage.

Now everyone, please stop talking about this. It's not even what we are talking about here. We are talking about if Brawl is going to suck or not. Sorry if I'm mini modding, but I'm sick of 5+ pages on this.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
I think Wavedashing is the most USEFUL thing in SSBM. First of all, Dashdancing is great, but only good for mind games. Second, just need to clarify this, wavedashing isn't required to learn. It is something to use for faster movement. I , personally, can do it, but most of the time I don't. It's not something like "Oh! I really need to know how to Wavedash because everyone else can do it." No, it's no where near there.

I think, instead of me writing an entire life story in this post, am just going to say this.

I realize there are more things that Wavedashing can do, but most of the reasons are invalid due to how you play. I play mind games, but I don't Wavedash alot. I just use it for a faster landing and to shuffle. That's it. Nothing else. I prefer running for movement instead of Wavedashing across the stage.

Now everyone, please stop talking about this. It's not even what we are talking about here. We are talking about if Brawl is going to suck or not. Sorry if I'm mini modding, but I'm sick of 5+ pages on this.
Get used to it because I predict there will be atleast another 3 or 4 pages on this subject unless a mod comes and does his thing.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
How about the nature of human conversation is to go from topic to topic, which makes online discussion fun. We exhausted the topic at hand already but this thread seems to be quite popular for discussion, so I say go with the flow and don't try to be a mod when you JUST signed up on the forum. I just signed up last week, but I don't tell people to get back on topic, or pertend I'm some sort of authority, I just post my opinions.

So yeah, people change topics, its the nature of human conversation, deal with it. ;)

intensezkramer1993

Smash Cadet
How about the nature of human conversation is to go from topic to topic, which makes online discussion fun. We exhausted the topic at hand already but this thread seems to be quite popular for discussion, so I say go with the flow and don't try to be a mod when you JUST signed up on the forum. I just signed up last week, but I don't tell people to get back on topic, or pertend I'm some sort of authority, I just post my opinions.

So yeah, people change topics, its the nature of human conversation, deal with it. ;)
Well, human nature sucks, lol. Anyway, Brawl could be the emperor of pwnage, or be the crap from a cow.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Well, human nature sucks, lol. Anyway, Brawl could be the emperor of pwnage, or be the crap from a cow.
Yeah human nature makes us do some pretty stupid things, but changing topics isn't one of them, hell if no one ever changed topics we'd all still be discussing a rock from the stone age or something.

Yeah, we don't know if brawl will rule, or if itll suck. There is however, no middle ground. It will either be as good as smash brothers melee, almost as good as smashbrothers melee, but still good. Or not even close to as good as smash melee and suck entirely.

Depends on what they do to it. *fingers crossed*

This has got to be the hottest thread right now!!!!
I'm quite proud of it :) My first post was this thread. ''Im not some gay nub'' priceless. I think it's the eye-catching title.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
edited my post^^ up there.

and i dont take you seriously. foxtrotting is a variation of dashdancing, so technically it IS dashing in one direction. get ur facts straight.
also, foxtrotting works for every character, why would it only work for two? its just that fox and cf are more suited for it.

so, what was this thread about?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
edited my post^^ up there.

and i dont take you seriously. foxtrotting is a variation of dashdancing, so technically it IS dashing in one direction. get ur facts straight.
No. Fox trotting isn't a variation of dash dancing. They're two entirely different things... and have some respect for yourself, capitilize those I's :p

mario-man

Smash Lord
mark, I didn't say that foxtrotting only works for two people, I said it's only faster than wavedashig/dashing for them. The rest of the characters might as well not do it because (wave)dashing is faster than foxtrotting for any character except Fox/Capt.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
are you sure about that? i mean, it is dashing, repeatedly, isnt that what dash dancing is?
and i thought this is general brawl, not english class.
and what happened to not being able to move while dash dancing?

and mario-man, thats my fault, i read it wrong lol. even though its slower with other char. lots of people play fox/cf. and it does work with other people.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Mario-Man hits the nail on the head once again. There's no point dash dancing with anyone else, not even shiek and she runs pretty fast. Her foxtrot is incredibly slow and punishable, you're better to do wavedancing or pulse walking wit her to gain distance than fox trotting. Same goes for everyone except fox and CF.

Don't foxtrot with anyone else, baaaad idea.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
i foxtrot with marth and its not a bad idea.

ok, thanks kramer lol, i thought we were in melee discussion for a sec.

i think that brawl wont suck because like most games, people test it, theres alot of things to go through before release, esp smash because its a big production. i really dont care if brawl doesnt come out this summer, as long as its good.

edit: V yeah, if it comes out this summer and is good, thats awesome too. just hope it doesnt suck, im going to be playing it for a while lol

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
i foxtrot with marth and its not a bad idea.
Yeah With marth it is ok for tech chase, Foxtrot, wavedash, Foxtrot --> dashgrab. Thats the only place I see it working, for setting up a dash grab, combined with WDing. For general movement, marths wavedash is too good, and if you have a sharp eye you can tipper out of it so easily because the wavedash allows you to space perfectly if you have a good eye for tipper range.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I don't care when it comes out, as long as they perfect it and make it awesome like they did with Melee. I can't find any Wii's yet where I live, so it really doesn't affect me until stores don't sell out the first minute they get them

Superstar

Smash Champion
I assume Brawl will be good. I think its obvious to know when someone is making a good point or whining incessantly. They could have also learned from Melee as well, knowing what works and doesn't.

You hear a ton of low skilled people complaining about how they always lose to a "glitch" or "exploit" [not just wavedash, edgehogging too]. I even read in the "Stupidest Noobs sayings" thread in the Melee discussion that one person wanted SHIELDING to be out. I think Sakuri's team know what they are doing, and can see the good suggestions from the bad.

If Brawl is going to stink for ANYTHING, it will most likely be imbalance, one character so broken that they can EASILY beat all other characters, even more than Fox can [Fox at least is hard to learn].

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I really believe that Sakurai will be able to nail this one. Wavedash'll probably be made an official move, and of course will have its own animation. I can't wait to se that. I think i'm going to try to forget about Brawl for some time so that time passes by faster. *Tries but the Smash Brothers awesomeness does'nt get out of his head*. Dang!

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord

I play Captain Falcon and you most certainly CAN move while dash-dancing. He has a very long dash, so all you have to do is vary the length of the dash-dance to have him move about the stage in unpredictable ways. Also, combine the "foxtrot" (which is essentially dash-dancing in the same direction) with traditional dash-dancing and you can move around all you want.

Also, foxtrotting IS useful for characters besides Fox and CF. My secondary is Marth and I sometimes foxtrot with him because it allows you to change directions instantly, which you can't do out of a regular dash. Yes, I am aware you can wavedash out of a dash, but you will not be turned around. So if I'm running away from someone and foxtrotting, I can turn around and start a FAIR chain that I couldn't otherwise do.

Stop acting like you know everything about the game. You're obviously not stupid but you're still not qualified to eminate this know-it-all attitude you've had since you joined here. There are people here who know more about the game than you do. Get over it.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
And Dylan, the foxtrot is a well-known tech. If you're mocking people who know about it and use it, it just once again shows your ignorance and calls into question how you are in any kind of position to call people noobs.
Where are you even getting this????????????????????????????????????????????

Supply a quote??!?!?!

WHEN THE **** DID I INSULT FOX TROTTING I DO IT ALL THE ****ING TIME WITH FOX AND CAPTAIN FALCON

I just said dashdancing and fox trotting were NOT the same thing. What the hell are you going on about?!

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Could ya people stop flaming each other? You will all get angry, that will make angry people around you, those people will make other people angry, and like that until someone cuts the hate cycle...

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
1. He has an edited quote as his signature, insulting me everytime he makes a post. Which has been reported.

2. He's putting words in my mouth. I NEVER insulted fox trotting, I dare you to find ONE instance of me insulting the fox trot. I find it to be a very useful technique

Liar said:
And Dylan, the foxtrot is a well-known tech. If you're mocking people who know about it and use it, it just once again shows your ignorance and calls into question how you are in any kind of position to call people noobs.
Shai Hulud, if you have to resort to making up things to insult me, you're either a troll, or really pathetic.

dylan on the last page said:
No. Fox trotting isn't a variation of dash dancing. They're two entirely different things...
Mario-Man hits the nail on the head once again. There's no point dash dancing with anyone else, not even shiek and she runs pretty fast. Her foxtrot is incredibly slow and punishable, you're better to do wavedancing or pulse walking wit her to gain distance than fox trotting. Same goes for everyone except fox and CF.

Don't foxtrot with anyone else, baaaad idea.
Notice how I just am saying foxtrotting isnt as useful with some characters, as it is for Fox and Captain falcon, the only two characters that benefit from it in a significant way. And MAYBE marth, but more for tech chase grabs than anythign else, it doesnt speed him up. It is, however faster for fox and falcon than just running

Im not insulting fox trot said:
Yeah With marth it is ok for tech chase, Foxtrot, wavedash, Foxtrot --> dashgrab. Thats the only place I see it working, for setting up a dash grab, combined with WDing. For general movement, marths wavedash is too good, and if you have a sharp eye you can tipper out of it so easily because the wavedash allows you to space perfectly if you have a good eye for tipper range.
Here, I

CLEARLY

Discuss the benefits of foxtrotting in marths tech chase.

This is the extent of my discussions on the fox trot. You're making things up to suit your own sick little game, and I find your obvious obsession with me troubling, seek some psychiatric help.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
1. He has an edited quote as his signature, insulting me everytime he makes a post. Which has been reported.
It's not edited. I copied and pasted it directly.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=97393&page=10

Your post 2-22-07, 10:36 PM, 1st paragraph.

And I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything to violate the board rules. I've just pointed out that you don't know as much about the game as you think you do. And even if I had insulted you, you can't say it wasn't warranted given the neverending stream of vitriol spewing forth from your every post since you joined eight days ago.
2. He's putting words in my mouth. I NEVER insulted fox trotting, I dare you to find ONE instance of me insulting the fox trot. I find it to be a very useful technique
I misunderstood you when you laughed at that kid who talked about dash-dancing and foxtrotting. It really is just dash-dancing in the same direction. I'm aware it's been given the name "foxtrot" but it's stupid and pointless for you to laugh at people for generalizing the movement.
Notice how I just am saying foxtrotting isnt as useful with some characters, as it is for Fox and Captain falcon, the only two characters that benefit from it in a significant way. And MAYBE marth, but more for tech chase grabs than anythign else, it doesnt speed him up. It is, however faster for fox and falcon than just running
It's useful for any character with a long dash who has a strong aerial game. It may not be AS USEFUL as some other tech, but in this game you can't afford to overlook moves just because they aren't universally applicable. I use every attack in Marth's arsenal, including his B moves. They all have their uses, just as fox-trotting has its use, even if it's somewhat limited.

Sensai

Smash Master
You realize you people have gone through like 4 pages today? Don't any of you have SCHOOL!? Or girlfriends?! Or SOMETHING!?

My God, you can't honestly expect those of us who have to go to work or something to be able to read all this. I'm pretty sure that by the time I finish posting, there will be 5 more posts, at least. Jesus.

Shai Hulud's was the last post on this page when I hit quick reply, posted at 7.30.

[Edit:]

THANK GOD! You must've all fallen asleep from freaking lack of sleep. While you're at it, take a shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom