• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Wow, 30 pages of people talking about Brawl (give or take some thought detours)!
I love how we can go on and on about the new game. It shows we really care about the Smash series!

Add-on:
To Dylan_Tnga: I will admit, when reading through your earlier posts, I thought you were just another arrogant internet jerk. However, after seeing your more recent work, I find you to be very informed. I appluad you, good sir! You have (somewhat) renewed my faith in humanity!
Have a cookie!:chuckle:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
**** candy, I prefer to eat a baby deers parents right infront of it. I need animal flesh to keep my smash spirit alive. \m/ Holy epic.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
**** candy, I prefer to eat a baby deers parents right infront of it. I need animal flesh to keep my smash spirit alive. \m/ Holy epic.
You just hit puberty and are hoping a girl is watching.

Am I right?

Sensai

Smash Master
Overswarm: LOL.

Dylan_Tnga said:
Nah, see forget that politically correct bull****, humankind loves conflict. cmon... you know deepdown you all enjoy a good argument.
I'm with you. Arguing is something I enjoy doing because it feels like I'm challenging my mind. Given, I usually like to argue the OPPOSITE side of what I really think...it's just fun.

And Dylan, if you don't like Candy Land, you wouldn't have enjoyed being a hippie. (Random FTW)

Superstar

Smash Champion
Well, good to see that you have changed [haven't posted about this before]. In the beginning, it was hard to see who was more correct. Now since you won't insult someone and tell them to quit, your posts are much easier to respect. :)

It was hard to agree with you at first, mostly since that if I messed up, I'd like to be told politely what my mistake was.

By the way, I may like sweets, but I HATE candy. Too hard. I like chocalate bars better.

As well, Brawl won't stink, I wish to reinforce that. I assume Sakurai knows which group of people has better advice. Many noobs complain about stuff, but even though they are the majority, they will still buy Brawl even if the techs stay in. They are just complaining because they hate losing. Even though many noobs will still buy it even if it stays with the techs, pros are MUCH harder to convince.

I think that also, deep down inside, Sakuri enjoys the game being used for tournaments. Imagine if you worked hard, under much doubt, to make a game, and it was well taken by a huge group of people, making competitions and playing to be the best. You would get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

intensezkramer1993

Smash Cadet
Overswarm: LOL.

Dylan_Tnga said:
Nah, see forget that politically correct bull****, humankind loves conflict. cmon... you know deepdown you all enjoy a good argument.
I'm with you. Arguing is something I enjoy doing because it feels like I'm challenging my mind. Given, I usually like to argue the OPPOSITE side of what I really think...it's just fun.

And Dylan, if you don't like Candy Land, you wouldn't have enjoyed being a hippie. (Random FTW)
Is this what you meant? Yeah, I'm the type to fix BB code posts.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
Dylan, you have a serious problem. You let this thread dissolve into personal attacks, mostly incited by you, conciously or not. When others point them out, you put them down instead of owning up to your mistakes and restoring your image in the eyes of this community. This forum is not about what you've been doing, it's about everyone getting their say on what they want or are concerned about for this game. If you don't want to talk about that, leave. Since I don't want to talk about that, I'm leaving this area after this post. I apologize to anyone who feels that I'm stepping on their toes, especially Mic_128 and McFox, but I felt that this need to be said. If Dylan doesn't stop with this ridiculous behavior, I will take it up with him elsewhere and crush him debater-style.

That said, I'm not worried at all about Brawl potentially being bad. This is Sakurai we're talking about here, the guy who made a huge impact with BOTH of his Smash Bros. games. I think we can trust him to do the same with a third. And if it does suck, I'll just keep playing Melee. Done.
thank you. from the melee discussion sticky, written by fastfox

2b. So what'd you have for supper today?

- When posting, try to stay on the same topic as the thread creator's initial intention. Whilst posting in a thread, do not get carried away in another discussion with an online friend or a real friend that is currently online. The irrelevance just causes chaos in the thread and a sharp turn away from the original intent.

you might as well change the name of this thread in to "flame war here" cause you ARENT staying on the topic you started. people tried to change it, but you ignored it. please, flaming is idiotic. smh.

ok im going now, probably not returning lol

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
I'm not worried about Brawl being nothing but garbage. Sakurai and his team are top-notch.

If wavedashing's axed, oh well. If it isn't, great- I have a chance to hone the technique.

To say the least, I don't wavedash, but it doesn't stop me from winning matches.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm not worried about Brawl being nothing but garbage. Sakurai and his team are top-notch.

If wavedashing's axed, oh well. If it isn't, great- I have a chance to hone the technique.

To say the least, I don't wavedash, but it doesn't stop me from winning matches.
I like your attitude on wavedashing. You seem like you want to learn it, and dont shun it just because you cant do it.

Its difficult to win high calibur matches with skilled players without wavedashing though, it can be done but its rare.

You people put a lot of faith in Sakurai, I do two he made two great games. My main concern though is that profit will be the #1 aim here so they'll give us a simpler, more noob friendly smash brothers game that wont be taken as far meta-game wise as melee was.

I just hope they dont sell out a GREAT series.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Nintendo hasn't been known to sell out series, I think they are probably the most righteous people in the biz. I've never seen them do something just to get money, I think Nintendo also has the most profits of the 3 companies in the "console war".

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, ya, they're making, like, 108 dollars profit per Wii sold...Times that by five million...Sony's losing 200 dollars per 600 dollar console they sell and Microsoft won't break even in terms of console costs until 2008. Ya, they can afford to make a couple hardcore appealling games. Also, Mr. Sakurai mentioned in the How This Game Came to be Made thingy that he sees it as a tribute to the featured games' fans as well as their developers. Also, as he's mentioned in articles about becoming an independent developer, he doesn't like the whole automatic sequel type stuff and believes each new game in a series should be treated as a seperate entity with stuff learned from the last one (at least that's what I get out of it) and that games should be made with more fan input and shouldn't be as impersonal as they've become with all these big companies. Or something like that.

So, yeah...I trust Mr. Sakurai will come through.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
If Sakurai and his developement team screw this game up, then I'm packing up my bags and I'll be loyal to X-box. I'm sure others will feel this way too. This is a make-or-break for Nintendo. In fact, this game is the only reason why I'll purchase a Nintendo Wii.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
If Sakurai and his developement team screw this game up, then I'm packing up my bags and I'll be loyal to X-box. I'm sure others will feel this way too. This is a make-or-break for Nintendo. In fact, this game is the only reason why I'll purchase a Nintendo Wii.

Awww come on, have you played a game of Wii sports with friends?, it is simply fantastic !WII ROX...I have yet to get my hands on one yet...PS3 SUX!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, there's a ton of reasons for me to have a Wii as well as both other systems. And I don't see it as make or break because, one, from what I've seen, it already has everything to make me like it and, two, it's just one game; I like just about every game Nintendo does which is the real reason I believe people should like SSB so there's always the next Nintendo game on top of the ones that'll probably come out before it. But I have no doubts in my mind that this game won't be good despite how much some people may want me to think otherwise.

Davewashing

Smash Rookie
Hey.
I've been lurking around these parts for years now, but never officially joined until this thread popped up. It's too interesting to pass up!

Let me say first that Super Smash Bros. has to be my favorite game series, and I'm not at all worried about Smash Bros Brawl sucking. In fact, I'm completely pumped for it! It looks to be the best of both titles, and MORE!
With that out of the way, there are only a few things I am worried about:

(1) I want the characters chosen to be in the game to be cool, interesting, and most importantly, have great fighting moves! All the characters shown so far look awesome, and look even better in action. (There are, of course, certain characters that I hope will appear in the game, but I won't get into that, since there is already a separate board for character discussion)
I'm mainly hoping all of them have attacks that hit hard and very useful special moves. I'll admit, I was a bit dissapointed in some of Smash Bros. Melee's characters...Some characters were too heavy and slow, others were too light and weak, and many of the moves were too unwieldy or based entirely on chance. I hope that this time around, things will be more balanced, and every character will have a fighting chance.

(2) I'm a bit worried that sword-wielding characters may dominate the game, considering that in addition to moderate strength, they have an extra "reach" with their attacks; their swords allow them to attack foes at a little bit of an extra distance, protecting themselves and keeping the enemy at bay (See: Marth).
The lightning-quick blade attacks of Pit and Meta Knight (as shown it the game footage) may worsen the problem, allowing them to land a rapid succession of hits on the enemy without having to get too close. (Added with their extra jumps, they look like they could become almost unstoppable...)

(3) A more powerful glitch may be discovered present in the game, effectively stunting what could be a thriving online community, and "breaking" the game's balance, despite the best efforts of Mr. Sakurai and his dedicated studio...
Don't get me wrong! I'm not against the use of glitches, but I AM against a player's skill being judged based entirely on whether or not they use these glitches. Wavedashing and the other glitches seem okay, but from reading many of the posts here, it's giving me worries that glitches may dominate Smash Bros. Brawl much in the way "snaking" dominated Mario Kart DS, perhaps even worse...
It's much more interesting to play a game where each player comes up with their own unique combos and attack strategies with their character of choice, and use their own mastery of their favorite character's moves to adapt to any situation!
I don't want to be confined to using the same 3 characters on the same flat, eventless stage. I want to be able to win against ANY opponent using ANY character, on ANY stage!

In short, I want balance.
I'm not too worried about it, though. I believe in Mr. Sakurai and 'The Studio', and I'm sure they will come up with another hit!

As for Dylan, I'm thinking the reason you're so against Brawl is because you've spent a lot of time and energy honing your skills in Melee to get as close as you can to fighting perfection, and you aren't ready to give it all up and start from scratch. That's entirely understandable, but that's no reason to write Brawl off as inferior before you've even played it. You've go to stop looking at it from such a negative perspective.
The "slowed down" speed of the game gives it a more controlled pace, which I believe takes some of the emphasis off of speed, and will allow players more freedom to plan out their moves, and more control over the battles. Adding this with the "freeze-frames"(which adds that satisfying "crunch" to a move) will open the door for devastating combos and chain attacks. A 'slower' pace means players will be able to savor the action!
The roll seems to have been retooled so that is now lightning-quick, almost identical to wavedashing. You'll still be able to sweep around the stage, but now with a more convenient button command that anyone can access! This will help level the playing field, and will bring out healthier competition for those looking for a challenge. (Though the roll may seem to not cover all of wavedashings uses, the multitude of new moves and features should more than make up for it. We've only seen a small bit of the game, so there's no telling what other surprises may be in store...)
Don't forget that Mr. Sakurai has also mentioned a new focus on aerial combat. Something like that will undoubtedly add an all new depth to the gameplay. Just thinking of the possibilities is exciting! And to competitive gamers like yourself, it will be a new dimension of combat to master. Imagine mastering both air and land combat!

Just give Smash Bros. Brawl a chance. Melee isn't the end of the series. Otherwise, why would they be making another?

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Ps3 does suck, but if Sarukai does screw it up X-Box is the place to go.
BANJO THREEIE!!!
(This thread moves to fast and ive missed several pages.)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Hey dave, welcome to the forums.

I really really enjoyed your post, it's very true in a lot of ways. Although wavedashing isn't a glitch that's just n00bs trying to justify their lack of skill.

Other than that, very nice post indeed, glad you enjoyed my thread, quite a few replies eh? haha.

intensezkramer1993

Smash Cadet
Hey dave, welcome to the forums.

I really really enjoyed your post, it's very true in a lot of ways. Although wavedashing isn't a glitch that's just n00bs trying to justify their lack of skill.

Other than that, very nice post indeed, glad you enjoyed my thread, quite a few replies eh? haha.
True about the Wavedashing. I've finally mastered it! Pretty sad, eh? Well, I like Samus, and she has Super Wavedashing.... You get the picture. Well, Super Wavedashing shoots you across the screen, so I still use Wavedashing.

Brawl might be good. (Just posting this to stay on topic.)

Edit: Dylan_Tnga, I keep calling her a him! Super Metroid was a fun game to die on... And that is so true. She does look like that.

Anyway, I've been doing it, but not perfectly. I get it sometimes, but it's not like every time yet. Just keep practicing and make it perfect.

I like the longer grapple more. Easier to do and more efficent.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Samus is a she. :) A hot she at that if you've ever seen her die in super metroid for snes, shes like an aryan blonde valkeryie woman.

Superwavedashing is REALLY difficult to do consistantly though, I rarely see it being used by anyone other than Mike Nasty, Hugs, and sometimes Wes. And even they rarely do it.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Super Wavedashing? One of my friends can do it really consistently during intense matches, and he's done some crazy stuff with it too. I can't, but then again I don't use Samus. :p

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Super Wavedashing? One of my friends can do it really consistently during intense matches, and he's done some crazy stuff with it too. I can't.
I find that impressive. It's weird to pull off, I have never done it personally, and I still dont quite get how it works.

Best superwavedash ever : Mikenasty

His opponent was hanging on the edge doing nothing, so he super wavedashed backwards off the ledge, and shot a fully charged neutral B , killing the guy.

intensezkramer1993

Smash Cadet
:DELETED FOR THE SAFENESS OF OTHERS:

Anyway, Super Wavedashing is one of the greatest things for Samus to use. It gives Samus many strategies.

Edit: Zephyr is right. Sorry, didn't feel like posting again.
The frame number is 41 and 42. You press left on frame 41 and right on frame 42, well, to go right.. It's vice versa for going left.

\/Answering Bottom Post\/

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Well, this is how it works. Samus is on a level surface, she lays a bomb. She bounces up after laying the bomb, not bomb jumping, and right before you land you've got about 1 or 2 frames to jerk the control stick whichever way you want to go. I'm not sure what frame of the attack it is, but that's how it works.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Samus is a she. :) A hot she at that if you've ever seen her
Do you get turned on by cartoons? If you do, that's sad.. seriously.

I'm sure Brawl is going to be good, but I don't think Brawl is going to be better than Melee. If Melee had no flaws it wouldn't be popular as it is now. Thank God the programmers messed up Smash..

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
nah Hentai is dumb. But I always found SNES samus when her suit comes off kindda foxy :laugh:

intensezkramer,i have to know,who said that quote? It's too funny!!:laugh:
hah, the gig is up now. Yeah I posted that but I edited it like 2 mins later. Kramer was FAST to put it in his sig. ;)

intensezkramer1993

Smash Cadet

I'm sure Brawl is going to be good, but I don't think Brawl is going to be better than Melee. If Melee had no flaws it wouldn't be popular as it is now. Thank God the programmers messed up Smash..
Brawl is going to be better than Melee. I think everyone thought Melee had no flaws at first, but over the years, everyone found out it did. The Super Wavedash, Ness's teleport move, etc. they all weren't intended glitches. I bet it will hold it's share of glitches too.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
What are the best two?

Brawl hasn't been made yet, so Melee still holds that position. But you never know...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Ness is pretty easy to screw over on recoveries, if you mess up his PK thunder he is as good as dead. And by mess up I mean jump into it, shoot it [it will probably work with samus, but I gotta try Fox] just stop Ness from controlling it, it's hella funny to do this to my friends.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I hate you so much.

I really, do, honnestly hope you get a horrible disease. And that your parents get it too, and that your house is knocked down by a huricane, and you get ***** in the *** by a bear.

Im not kidding, if the above mentioned events happened, it would make me smile.

If you're EVER in my area, or I in yours, I'll money match you for as much as you want, noob. I'll take your bank account and your gamecube, what do you say? You seem to think you're so much better than me, so hell itd be nice to 4 stock you.

Then again, if I met you in real life, Id have trouble not breaking your teeth into your face, so maybe for your own safety it would be a good idea to never, EVER come to montreal you redneck.
Sorry for bumping an old quote, but;

SMASH BROTHERS: SERIOUS BUSINESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom