• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who did you think was the best character right when you got the game?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I thought Pikachu was the best character because I used to spam his smashes in online matches and won many times against very bad players. I never realized how good meta knight was until I saw a tournament video on youtube for the first time.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Sonic. I loved Sonic Adventure 2 Battle so he was my favorite character and I was blinded by how much I loved that he was in Smash. My friends could not beat me (only because the were worse than I was) and it wasn't until I played my cousin's Meta Knight that I called Sonic garbage. When I learned about the tier list my ideas were confirmed.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
I used to play Meta Knight for fun because of how badass he was in the Kirby series, and I'd usually win by a pretty healthy margin whenever I'd play my friends with him. I had known about tiers in fighting games previous, so I suspected that he'd be pretty high up. Sure enough, I was right :facepalm:

PaulBlue

Smash Rookie
Definitely Snake. I remember my cousins and I were amazed by the power of his smashes. We also thought his neutral A and f tilt combos were too powerful, considering we were using them to kill instead of smashes half the time. His Up-B recovery seemed really cheap too. To top it off, dem mines. We didn't care though; we were just playing to have fun.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
For me it was Bowser since I was previously and somewhat still am a pro-Bowser, I did find him a bit different and his size was increased but he pretty much remained the same aside from some obvious changes to the game.

:phone:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Well, when I first, first got Brawl, I played through SSE; and when I got to play as MK I thought he was amazing. Turns out he was a little bit more amazing than I first implied.

link2702

Smash Champion
INB4someone says ike

honestly though, i thought it was snake, them tilts....them damn tilts that extend 50FT in front of em....

TimboJimbo

Smash Rookie
I thought it was Pit. Massive recovery, spam arrows that you can control and a sideways B attack that NEVER ENDS!!!

I played Pit for a while until I went online and found out it was noobish. Then I stopped...

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Zelda.

On the contrary I thought Snake was the worst character in the game because I would press buttons and blow myself up.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I never thought Ike was good, even as a casual, was I weird? lol.
Your not alone~ <3 I thought he was slow and clunky. =p

I hated the hell outta pit though! Fast smashes, arrows, reflector, and that AYAYAYAYAAAA! thing. I thought pit had it all man!

EDIT: OH! And wolf! His smashes reached so damn far and his lazor was annoying. That and he was like one of the last characters you unlocked so it felt kinda like he should be slightly stronger then the rest.

Azula

Smash Cadet
I thought Zelda was the best and I would always spam her smashes (highly effective strategy one month into the game lol) and my friends would always call me (and zelda) cheap. Her fireballs work excellently against noobs as well. Until I got beaten by my friend's meta knight (true story). As Zelda vs Meta Knight I was getting beaten and I literally felt like there was nothing I could do during that matchup to win. From there I switched to DeDeDe and that is when I actually started getting good at the game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I knew Meta Knight would be a top tier character after watching SSE videos from the Japanese version of Brawl on Youtube before its U.S. release. The nado, the speed of his aerials. I just didn't know how high he would be. Turns out, he's number one and has remained there ever since... well, until he gets officially banned anyway.

Loxo

Smash Rookie
Mario, Up special in my opinion was awesome. Nowadays I'm a random player or a Luigi player.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight. Mainly because my brother told me he was, lol. He was my main at the very beginning until I realized exactly how overpowered he was, which is a shame really- he looks so badass.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I really didn't think anyone was the best but Marth was/is pretty beast when I started out.
Marth... dunno why, just chose him in the begining
Well, he still is a beast character, ranking as a top tier. Some speculate that with Meta Knight banned, Marth may take the number one spot. If that is the case, I wouldn't be surprised.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I see either Marth or Snake becoming the top most played characters than they already are now. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Ike or Link took a higher spot.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I should never base this off of a CPU, but I thought Fox was the hardest because I had a difficult time beating a lv. 9 Fox on Pokemon Stadium 2. Then again I mained Peach at the time and tried to use her the exact same way I did in Melee. Melee Peach and Brawl Peach are two totally different playstyles.

I also felt Pit was one of the best due to his arrows and other shinnanigans.

I never guessed Metaknight would be the strongest because the Game Guide I bought on Brawl's release date rated Metaknight a 5 out of 10.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I never guessed Metaknight would be the strongest because the Game Guide I bought on Brawl's release date rated Metaknight a 5 out of 10.
That made me lol.

Also, as far as CPUs go, I find Zelda and Wolf CPUs to be especially annoying, especially when the Zelda CPU knows when to sweetspot those damn aerials, combined with their "psychic" ability to powershield and airdodge near everything you throw at them.

Top Bottom