• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who did you think was the best character right when you got the game?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Maybe MK was rated that score becuz they thought he was so cheap...
That, or they based it on the difficulty of the CPUs. I mean, let's face it, a level 9 CPU Meta Knight is rather laughable, and anyone who thinks, "I've beaten level 9 MKs, I can definitely take on Mew2King" will be sadly disappointed.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Charizard and to a lesser extent Pit and Toon Link for me.
But Charizard wrecked bosses and computers XD.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
That made me lol.

Also, as far as CPUs go, I find Zelda and Wolf CPUs to be especially annoying, especially when the Zelda CPU knows when to sweetspot those damn aerials, combined with their "psychic" ability to powershield and airdodge near everything you throw at them.
This. I have yet to be lightning kicked by a player Zelda but the Cpu can land those lightning kicks easily. I find the Cpu bad in TBD since they know how to hit you into their partners attack and do other fallow ups. Lord only knows who ranked those characters.

:phone:

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
I thought wolf, marth were going to be top tier, with metaknight struggling to almost be A but being a solid B. Snake being one of the worst since he is soooooooo predictable...>_>;;

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I always knew Meta Knight was the best, because his nades cover a ridiculous amount of space, he can cover a lot of ground with other moves, his up B was hard to punish early on, his side B was annoyingly good, he had several early kill moves, and he was one of the only characters that could almost always land extra hits after the first hit (lol combos).

I figured Marth was right below him because he was just an all-around threat, and Snake was probably tied with Marth (if not better) because he has ridiculous range, early on outcamped everyone but ROB, and seemed to have the most potential for improvement. Plus those early techniques... were ridiculous.

I figured Fox and especially Diddy Kong were definitely high tier characters long before they were high tier on the tiers, too. I am still shocked about how good Diddy Kong is. I never saw him being that good, even though I thought he could be a dominate character.

I also figured ROB would become weaker (initially some people thought he was top tier). I didn't think he would sink to his low/mid tier position he is now. I'm glad the ROB camping fest ending, because that crap was bound to die; and if it didn't, Brawl would be as competitively active as Soul Calibur 3. I'm glad that campy ROB 12 minute matches crap died. I like how the people who played ROB that lame campy way mostly quit or became obscure because they had little talent outside of camping, lulz.

Seeing as how I knew my main would be Toon Link since before day 1, I figured he would be slightly above average in Brawl before I even saw him based on how his style would play out. The first time I played him I faced my friend MM (who usually beat me) on Wifi in a 3 stock match... and 3 stocked him... without taking damage. I have video evidence, lol! I knew then he would be high mid tier or high tier for sure. Pretty much from the get go we all knew what he was capable of.

The character that really shocked me was Donkey Kong. I thought he sucked balls initially, even worse than in Smash 64 and Melee, and I was positive he would be at or very close to the very bottom. Well, apparently the jokes on me.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
Use to play lucas. LOL i remember killing myself all the time with him. Ah i remember when i first got the game, just playing around was enough satisfaction. :3

mrawesomeman

Smash Rookie
I felt from the start that Lucario was the best, he has a nice counter, is pretty fast, and is all-around what I look for in a character. Oddly enough, I still find that I fight best with him, but lately my list has been expanding as I've been practicing.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Fox, because I thought didn't the tier list would **** him like this.

But its not like you can just abandon the character you've always played.

Believe me, I've tried...

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Ike. He's still my 2nd favorite character, behind only G&W.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Diddy Kong, from the moment I saw his page on the dojo. I realized that he was a weak little monkey after playing, but that didn't stop me.

link2702

Smash Champion
Ike. He's still my 2nd favorite character, behind only G&W.
I really don't get how anyone could of thought ike was the best when he's got some of the most laughably slow moves in the game that are some of the easiest to avoid in the game.

Life

Smash Hero
^A few bad moves plus a few great moves equals a great character, not an average one. Ike's slow moves aren't that big a problem because you still have his jab and aerials (though they get predictable and you have to throw in a slow tilt now and then). His recovery is his real problem.

I figured Sonic would be the best until I actually got my hands on him. I imagined him playing more like an aggro MK would today... then I went to the boards to figure out how he was supposed to work, improved significantly (still have a ways to go tho) and he's my first Brawl main.

I had an inkling that MK was good, but I figured it was just his playstyle fitting mine--I had been burned badly when I first found out YL (my first Melee main--in fact, my first *anything* main, unless you count 64 but I was a little kid then and spamming Kirby's down-B was how I won anything) was low tier in like 2005, so I didn't want to make the same mistake again... turned out he's good for totally different reasons, haha.

I originally thought Marth was bad because he was good in Melee (my second Melee main--I decided late 2007 that, with Brawl coming up, it would be a good idea to try a Melee high-tier, and I tried Marth and loved it) but had gotten badly nerfed by Brawl physics. Then I played everyone else, gave him another chance and he became my second main for Brawl, too.

I STILL don't think DK's as good as advertised, LOL.

For me, Olimar took a similar path that Sonic did--super hyped for his entrance, disappointed by what I could figure out ingame, re-hyped by what I saw on the boards. I play him for fun sometimes now, not a main though.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Captain Falcon
nuff said

Shift

Smash Journeyman
Wario. Picked him up because he was able to fart on people. Game was incredibly fun with everyone being completely oblivious, knowing nothing of chaingrabs, etc, etc.

SupaJuice

Smash Rookie
Marth. Was always good at hitting the sweetspot. I never realized how good metanight was until I saw a tournament vid.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
To be completely honest with myself. When I first got the game and played it for a while after unlocking all of the characters, I thought it was Meta-Knight. I thought being able to glide twice, having a spammable down smash, and being able to pretty much rule areal combat made him the best character. He was too fast.

I thought Ice climbers were the worst characters in the game when I first got it. Now I'm trying to main them lol.

RaqTasmeneth

Smash Apprentice
When I first got brawl I played a few matches as various characters,
2 including Marth and my former mellee main Pikachu. Both seemed
top of the class but I was amazed that marth even with a seemingly
shorter blade was very responsive and fluid in both movement & attack.

I was fairly accurate i guess, as both are high tier.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
When I first played this game it was at a tournament a month before the game came out in the US. The character I remember having the most trouble with was Metaknight because he was a character I couldn't gimp with Jigglypuff. I didn't assume that he was going to be the best, but I knew he was a character that was going to give me trouble in the future.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Ganondorf. :awesome:

Honestly though. I probably thought Ike was, just because he his smash attacks are powerful and all that.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Mario and Kirby.
Its funny because I love Kirby now because melee. I'd pick him and I liked his playstyle and I just liked mario back then, 'Till i found luigi. He's all the goodness of Mario and the some!
That is all, Good Day to you...

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I thought Snake was pretty powerful. He had a good standard A combo, powerful smashes, plus the ability to lay traps allowed him to take control of the map.

Top Bottom