• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

which is better? Gamecube controller or wii controller?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
GCN controller. I don't know how anybody could play otherwise >.<

Most advanced techs and terminology is developed on the assumption you're using the GC controller to play. And well, I played Melee for so long that it's just stuck to me.

Rambo23

Smash Rookie
really the only thing I did not like about the default setting for the Wiimote was the grab button

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
As far as I can tell, many of the techs will be discovered with a GC controller than therefore might only be usable on a GC controller.

Also, the GC controller has a very good button layout that the other controllers lack (the classic controller might work if the joysticks weren't so raised). The combo of extra buttons, a C-Stick (which is very important) and the actual physical location of the buttons makes it more capable than the wiimote.

In addition, the fact that the GC controller has had the chance to pass through 2 smash games also means that many things are completely second nature to many people, although I suppose if someone starts new then this wouldn't mean anything.

Atire0

Smash Cadet
Game cube controller, this is because

1. the wii controller is missing short hop
2. the wii controller only has 1 taunt
3. the wii controller has no c stick (i could be wrong)
4. It feels weird o.0

Doomed

Smash Rookie
If you want to play SSBB seriously, the GC controller is the best choice. Old school, perfect layout and C stick.

juki

Smash Cadet
I prefer the Game Cube Controller. Probably because there's no c stick in wii controller and because i played melee aswell

CyAnBlAzE

Smash Rookie
Game cube controller, this is because

1. the wii controller is missing short hop
2. the wii controller only has 1 taunt
3. the wii controller has no c stick (i could be wrong)
4. It feels weird o.0
i think this man or woman has it.

GC controller FTW!!!

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I think just about everyone will tell you that the GCN controller is superior over the Wiimote. The layout of the GCN one has many more buttons that are easier to reach than the Wiimote. And since the basic formula of Smash is pretty much the same throughout all of the games, using the GCN controller is easier to use, especially if you played Melee before. Sakurai himself has said that the game was meant to be played with the GCN controller

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
I play Wii-Mote + Nunchuck. :) But in general, GCN controller will be the more popular, due to the fact that you can do a few techniques easier with it, such as C-Sticking and what-not. Also, the long-time Melee players will probably like the GCN controller more. I also played Melee since it came out (And SSB64) but I didn't want to use the GCN controller for Brawl since it would seem too much like Melee, just with new characters and physics. I've played Wii-Mote alone sometimes... Wow, impossible. :ohwell: Can barely win against a level 1 CPU with Sheik.

XxBlazingSpeedxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XBlazingSpeedX
its definetly th GCN controller if you played melee if feels a whole lot more natural and lets you pull off things you couldnt otherwise do with the other controllers.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I can do both wiimote+nunchuck and GCN. I have no problems doing anything advanced on the wiimote+nunchuck setup (And this is coming from a Sonic/IC player). I prefer the GCN controller, but that's because I'm used to it. It's all about what controller fits you best (Although Wiimote alone is suicide if your going to tourneys).

PsychoKnight

Smash Cadet
meh depends on where you started out. Most people have been playing Melee, so of course GC and its the same controls for Brawl, and they have grown used to it(including myself) , other people actually started of with brawl so they use the remote and nunchuk, but Im GC user all the way

skylark

Smash Rookie
GC is better mainly because most techniques and such are developed with it.

However, the wiimote + chuck has grown on me. Once I changed the grab button it was much more comfortable for me. This is coming from a guy who played melee every day from the day it was released.

TheTomNookster

Smash Apprentice
Gamecube controllers are better because they're more comfortable and it's easy to perform moves and techniques quicker. (However, Wiimote + Nunchuck is pretty fun!) Anyone who has played Melee in the past will not have too much of a problem converting from Melee to Brawl since they use virtually the same control scheme.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can no longer control the shield's strength in Brawl. When using GCN Controllers, you end up having to press the L or R button completely down to activate the shield.

The Classic Controller's sensitive L and R buttons don't go down as far, making it less stressful for players trying to perform defensive maneuvers.

Avsfreak18

Smash Cadet
depends, if you were big into Melee id go with GCN or Classic

if you are new its just what ever works for you

zB.

Smash Cadet
Most people are going to tell you the gamecube controller, and considering that it seems to be the most popular currently, it's what you're going to see most techniques written for. Other control schemes are generally pretty easy to transcribe stuff for though. I would honestly say that it's foolish to think that there's is a be-all-end-all for controllers. Just choose whichever one you win the most with I guess.

Shido

Smash Rookie
My GC controllers recently broke, and I've been resorting to the Wiimote + Nunchuck. I'd have to say that the Wiimote + Nunchuck feels better for me, though it's hard to roll, so I'll have to figure that out <<

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
gamecube controller is hard for. Im one of thoose people who never got over melee and holding a gamecube controller in my hand doing shorthop airdodges makes me feel sad inside. plus I lose lol
wiimote+NC feels good to me. I set up d-pad for smashes so generally speaking i actually c-stick faster with that setup. on the gamecube id have to have my thumb leave the a and B to c-stick. but on NC i just slide my thumb up. oh and one thing gamecube controller does is hurt your thumbs. jump a and B and smashes on the same finger? no thanks

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
It's the Gamecube control for me, its so comfy. When you hold it you feel like you were born with it. I quote from sweeny todd "atlast my arm is complete!"

LastDay

Smash Rookie
I've never taken off the nunchuck add-on from my Wiimote after I first put it on.

I used it on Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime so I also use it on SSBB.

I'd probably get along with the GCN controller just as well if not better, though.

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
If you have a gc controller, by all means use it. But the nunchuck is a pretty effective alternative with the right control scheme in my experience. Plus shake smash is fun :p

MxGm

Smash Cadet
I prefer the Gamecube controller. I like the Classic Controller, though. I find the Wii Remote weird to play Smash.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
If you played Melee a lot(like me) Go with the GCN, the Classic if you played melee sometime before or just want it to feel like a "Wii" game.

Top Bottom