• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character's moveset do you least enjoy?

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I'd consider this different from the other open thread about which characters you can't improve with but if there's already a thread like this or it's too similar, feel free to close it.

Out of all of the characters in the series, which fighter's moveset do you find yourself not liking the most or the least fun to play as?

Off the top of my head (though probably not the one I least enjoy), I would go with Sheik. She hardly even feels like a Zelda character to me. Despite the fact that she's normally "top-tier," I think having to be paired with Zelda in Melee and Brawl really hurt her moveset potential. She seems too much like a generic ninja.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shulk.

Slow, clunky, terrible frame data, specific hitboxes, double hits that enemies fall out from, buffs that might hurt him, and a cool-ass weapon he doesn't even hold out normally like in his game.
Sucks, because I pushed for him so hard during the Smash 4 days.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Probably King Dedede. I can play him just fine, but his attacks are just weird for me. Especially his down-tilt.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Peach. The floating mechanics are confusing and I don't like the randomness of her turnips and Fsmash.

Yes, I am very aware of the problem that presents.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Palutena or Rosalina.

Palutena's moveset just feels incredibly lack luster to me, and for the love of me I just can't get on with puppet movesets. I struggle with the Ice Climbers a bit too, but Rosalina's puppeteer moveset just feels unnatural to me as someone who likes to get up close and personal.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Game and Watch since forever. But especially bad are Duck Hunt and Olimar. Urgh, soo bad.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
The one I least enjoy and is most disappointed in is Shulk. His move set is just kinda boring to me and his attacks feels lackluster to me, which suck because he has one of the coolest weapons in the game.

D

Deleted member

Off the top of my head (though probably not the one I least enjoy), I would go with Sheik. She hardly even feels like a Zelda character to me. Despite the fact that she's normally "top-tier," I think having to be paired with Zelda in Melee and Brawl really hurt her moveset potential. She seems too much like a generic ninja.
YEESSSSSSSS ugh I hate her moveset so much. Like every Zelda character, all you have to do is look at Hyrule Warriors to see how it could have been done properly.

D

Deleted member

Zelda. As much as I love her, she literally has the WORST moveset in the game. While her alter-ego, Shiek, which only appears once ever in the Zelda series, is one of the best characters in the game. Its just really unfair. Hopefully Ultimate solves a lot of her issues (her neutral game, ground and air speed, specifically)

D

Deleted member

Yoshi for the life of i can't a combo with this piece of junk!!! Every think has tons of endlag!!

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Fox and Falco. Ever since playing Melee as a kid, up to now, I have never once found any joy in their movesets. They're just so generic with space lasers and whatnot. But even later on when my preferences became more refined, I still didn't like them because they were mostly about combos and being fast and little else. I like my fighters with a bit more strategy or uniqueness involved, which is why I gravitated towards Game and Watch and Ness in Melee, Dedede and R.O.B in Brawl, and Charizard and Zelda in Smash 4. They all have (imo) way more charm and uniqueness than the spacies ever did and still do. Probably won't touch Fox or Falco or even Wolf in Ultimate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Agreed about Fox and Falco. Never got what's supposed to so interesting and fun about them nor why people love Falco in Melee.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Yoshi, his high jump always trips me up.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
To me it is Palutena - I found her to have a moveset that had too much that wasn't right. While she did have a load of unique customs, it still doesn't make me think of Palutena differently. Palutena does look to have a better moveset in Ultimate however I found her to be an overhyped character during Pre-SSB4 days.

grizby2

Smash Lord
for me its palutena and wario.

palutena's tilts just feel stupid-slow to me. and her base specials don't excite me toomuch.

BUT WARIO....ooooouh

I always thought wario would have more moves from his classic games, I was completely dumbfounded when I discovered he didn't even have his shoulder charge.
I mean..

COME...
THE FRICK...
ON...

also his animations make him look like such a tool and not the overly pompous, greedy, tough guy I know him to be.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Lucario. He's not particularly frustrating or unfun... but he's just so bland. Nothing about him is interesting at all to me.

I honestly forget he's in the game pretty often.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Bowser Jr. and Robin for me. Bowser Jr.'s moveset feels very cobbled together - the idea of using the clown car's different functions as the basis of a moveset seems interesting, but in execution, doesn't provide much that I find mechanically interesting. As for Robin, well...Slow, campy, and just not that fun to play around with. Their gimmick doesn't add very much depth to them, in my opinion, as you're basically just encouraged to not spam moves too often (which is something inherently beneficial to every character) and aren't particularly rewarded for your effort. Rather than benefiting the player for playing toward their gimmick, Robin is just sort of at an average baseline by default and only gets less effective by playing them normally. I just can't find much fun in that.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I enjoy playing as Sheik.

Shulk.

Slow, clunky, terrible frame data, specific hitboxes, double hits that enemies fall out from, buffs that might hurt him, and a cool-*** weapon he doesn't even hold out normally like in his game.
Sucks, because I pushed for him so hard during the Smash 4 days.
I've never used Shulk before. My game file shows this. It's like I have to avoid Shulk now just to maintain that.

Yoshi, his high jump always trips me up.
Yoshi is extremely fun. I used to use him as a secondary in SSB64. The thing is, while I have fun using Yoshi, I hate fighting him.

ness and lucas
Ness is a lot of fun to play as.

Anyway, I don't like how Bayonetta, King Dedede, and Rosalina & Luma feel.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I have never been able to really understand Bowser Jr and Bayonetta. I don't "see" how the brat combos, because I only ever see people play him on For Glory. Bayonetta's aerials make no sense to me, and I can't tell what her tilts are supposed to do.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Is definitely have to go Captain Olimar on this one. I use him quite a bit when it’s 3+ Smash but never one on one because I’d get wrecked. For as creative as Pikmin are to me. They don’t do much to take advantage of that in his move set. His moveset should have mad range and Pokémon galore! Like where’s the rock pikmin with a sick down spike or a deviating dude smash equivalent to a Bowser dropkick. Give me a move that summons just the poison pikmin for some really good chip damage. Lastly, his side B could be the rocket that controls like villagers but you can use it mid air and aim it downwards like Wario’s motorcycle. My point is quit making him so bland!

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Probably Rosalina. Her moves just lack any kind of momentum to them, and just seem awkward and clunky and empty. Doesn't help that she's tedious to fight against, too.

Lucario. He's not particularly frustrating or unfun... but he's just so bland. Nothing about him is interesting at all to me.

I honestly forget he's in the game pretty often.
Lucario was my least favorite character in Brawl for this reason. He's just kind of there. With all the divisive characters added in 4, I tend to forget Lucario exists, too.
Bowser Jr. and Robin for me. Bowser Jr.'s moveset feels very cobbled together - the idea of using the clown car's different functions as the basis of a moveset seems interesting, but in execution, doesn't provide much that I find mechanically interesting. As for Robin, well...Slow, campy, and just not that fun to play around with. Their gimmick doesn't add very much depth to them, in my opinion, as you're basically just encouraged to not spam moves too often (which is something inherently beneficial to every character) and aren't particularly rewarded for your effort. Rather than benefiting the player for playing toward their gimmick, Robin is just sort of at an average baseline by default and only gets less effective by playing them normally. I just can't find much fun in that.
I don't play Robin often, but they're fun enough for me. I know exactly what you mean though. The fact that you'll be able to see their spell uses now hurts them more than it helps. A good Robin player should be able to know how many spells they have left, so it really only helps their opponent (and teammates I suppose). Combined with the emphasis on dash mechanics, I can't help but think they'll be worse in Ultimate (unless they get crazy buffs and/or higher air speed).

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
For me (please dont hate me FE fans) marth and lucina. i know they are good as i can do very well with them. but their moveset is the most uninteresting of all other characters for me. Even a few changes like they made with roy where they added some of ikes moves to him made him so much more fun for me to use.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
For me (please dont hate me FE fans) marth and lucina. i know they are good as i can do very well with them. but their moveset is the most uninteresting of all other characters for me. Even a few changes like they made with roy where they added some of ikes moves to him made him so much more fun for me to use.

Yeah, Marth is also so bland. Literally nothing about his moveset is super special or flashy really other than Dancing Blade, which compared to Ike's power and weight behind his attacks as well as Roy's newer decloned CQC based moveset with FYAAAA added to it even more, Marth continues to look more and more meh with every entry.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I’ll have to go with Olimar, Marth/Lucina, and Rosalina on this one. Olimar’s moveset is incredibly boring to me and he’s just really hard to use in general, while the Marth/Lucina are equally as bland and don’t offer much to get excited about imo. Rosa just feels clunky and slow to me, not to mention that fighting against her is a pain and a half.

Also Robin. I’m sorry to Robin mains but he is way too slow and gimmicky to use.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just want to reply about Palutena...I was determined to get good with her and it took me a while to wrap my head around her moveset but once I did I found a lot to love. I will agree that her f-tilt and d-tilt are mostly useless but her up tilt is godly. I mean you can up tilt against a Bowser Bomb or literally anything and since she crouches while doing it it's harder for her to be hit at all. Her two moves that use her shield (bair and dash attack) are also insane because they block all damage. I've dash attacked into a counter but took no damage because the shield blocked it. And don't even get me started about how godly her up air is--much like up tilt it traps nearly everything and can kill.
She's basically someone you have to be very deliberate and precise with because whiffing a move can cost you, but when you pull it off it's really satisfying.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I USED to hate Ganondorf's moveset for a combination of being slow, Falcon's clone, and not using his magic and swords... but now I love his moveset and kinda wish he wasn't using his swords in his Smash attacks for Ultimate.

Currently, I find Sonic's moveset really bland. I kinda wanted him to be a "second Fox" with hard-hitting moves and amazing combo potential, but he's the dullest hit-and-runner possible. It also doesn't help that he lacks a lot of cool moves from his home series.

For Samus, seeing Mega Man's awesome projectile normals and looking at her complete lack of them makes me mad too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Probably Ganondorf or Wii Fit Trainer. Some slow characters I really don't like. And then wii fit trainer I wanted to be decent because I find it's a funny character to use, but the hitboxes aren't just odd, they aren't very good at all. Most wii fit trainers have to play on the ledges all the time and try to cheese.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The sword guys are really boring.
I'd say the only exception is Corn, I know nothing about them or FE in general, but they're pretty fun to play as.

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
Sonic. I don't enjoy playing as him, with him or against him. He's not super slow like Ganon which is nice but I feel like he's built around hit and run. Like you can't challenge someone to an honest encounter. He can just abuse his speed to run away and then you only attack when the situation feels favorable. There's not a lot of excitement in him as it feels like you never have to commit to anything unless you go for an up smash. I find that very unenjoyable personally.
Villager is a close 2nd. I feel like his moveset doesn't allow you to play aggressively or even approach. It's like he's built around staying at the ledge and hoping you don't come near him so he can plant trees to hide behind and jump and slingshot or plank and slingshot. My sister loved Brawl/PM Olimar and she super hated what they did with his moveset. He was changed pretty much so the 3ds could handle his pikmin and it changed him a lot.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I actually have alot that I just cannot, for the life of me, understand.

First of is :ultwiifittrainer:, I am so bad at this character I often forget that she exists. Her moves are so....strange for me that I just can get a firm grasp on how they are suppose to work. Her dsmash of weird, I hate her aerials....ugh just no. I would rather lose the match than play as her.

Next is :ultvillager:, once again his moves just confuse me. They are interesting, and a good villager is just plain annoying, but I cannot understand how to make him work. I also don't know the difference between his bair and fair.

:ultness:/:ultlucas:. When I see people play them well, I applaud them, because I know I can't. Which is strange lol, because my younger brother loves :ultlucas: and :ultvillager:! I think they are just too floaty and odd for me. No thanks.

Finally :ultbayonetta:, my wife's favorite character, who I cannot learn worth a crap. Seriously, you would think I would learn something from fighting my wife and other Bayo's online, but nope. I can fight against her, but no way in heck can I play her.

I must admit, I am also confused (so far) on how :ultinkling:play. I've seen alot of footage and watched analysis videos on the character, but I don't see me picking them up any time soon. Too niche and not my niche.

Lol, final note, I am surprised that :ultfalco: came up in this conversation. I love his moveset and combo potential! I had a feeling that :ultbowserjr: would show up though. He is my odball lol. I know his movements and moveset can be extremely weird, but he is my favorite Mario character, so I made sure to know how to play him and play him well. I think I am accomplishing that so far lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Throughout all Smash games I have never enjoyed playing as :ultpikachu:, which stands out since some fluctuate from game to game.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I simply cannot stand when I go random and get Jigglypuff or Palutena. Puff is pretty fantastic in Melee but since then she's been pretty unusable. Her aerial priority is gone. Her toolbox is almost nonexistent. She's just a tiny pink boxing bag. Palutena just doesn't play well for me. See all the other Palutena complaints to get a better idea as to why I don't like her either.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Palutena. She's so incredibly generic. And why the crap does a goddess of magic type character have a counter? Just seems pretty lazy to me.

Also she doesn't play all that well. I like her smashes that's it. Highly subjective, but I thought another magetype character would be very enjoyable, yet she's really basic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom