• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character has changed the LEAST since melee?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Wow it took 6 replies before someone saw the comedic gold that rested in the idea of using a "newcomer character" as a nomination for a "returning character"-type poll that he clearly doesn't qualify for.

I'm going to save this thread in my favorites so I can come back and read this hilarious post over and over again... and even share it with my children. I may bequeath it to my first-born son, or force my children to fight to the death for the honor of being the keeper of this wonderful display of genius humor.

If anybody accuses me of applying sarcasm in this post, I'll hurt them hard, because I meant every word... from my heart.
I laughed at this

Now onto the topic at hand!

Has Mario changed at all, besides his down b, I don't remember every aspect of Melee off the top of my head, but I see no big differences in him, besides that one move

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I prefer Mario's down air on Brawl. However, it was better as his down B. Mario needed the recovery boost...

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
With Falcon and Jigglypuff, it's not the fact that THEY changed, because the characters themselves are actually extremely similar to their Melee versions. The thing that hurts them is that BRAWL is different from Melee.
QFT.
In fact, Brawl's Puff is very very similar to Melee's. But now she can't WOP because of Brawl's AD, everyone is as floaty as she was, she can't combo because of less hitstun, her B-air is worse because of stale, and her recovery is no more the best.
Brawl sucks lol.

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna go on a limb here and say Captain Falcon hasn't changed much at all. Some new features added to some of his moves, but he's basically the same, it's just Brawl's physics and playstyle completely and totally screws him over.

Melee-to-Brawl-playstyle-physique-wise: Marth.
Not like his comboability was completely taken away or something.
Falcon went from really good too worst ****.

As for Donkey:
Just look at the Bair.

I'd say it's either marth or kirby who have changed the least.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I think the OP didn't mean how the character has changed in their usefulness, but rather in the moves and playstyle sections.

And for that, I'd go with Marth and Peach.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
i agree with dk, i think all his movies are the same

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna go on a limb here and say Captain Falcon hasn't changed much at all. Some new features added to some of his moves, but he's basically the same, it's just Brawl's physics and playstyle completely and totally screws him over.

Melee-to-Brawl-playstyle-physique-wise: Marth.
Yeah, Captain Falcon, Fox, and Shiek are pretty much the same, except that all their moves were nerfed to hell and back. They still play the same (fall speed, aerials, and run speed are fast), they just suck because that's a good way to play in Melee and not a good way to play in Brawl. Marth was good for different reasons, so he didn't get affected as much.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Are you joking? Yoshi is WAY different from his Melee counterpart. Hell, just losing the double-jump cancel makes him an entirely different character.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
...Fox, [is]pretty much the same...[He] still plays the same (fall speed, aerials, and run speed are fast), they just suck because that's a good way to play in Melee and not a good way to play in Brawl.
What? I take it you didn't play much Melee.

Let's look at some key differences (according to Smash Wiki)
Changes from Melee to Brawl

• Blaster travels roughly half the distance it used to.
  • Reflector does not have a set knockback.
  • Can no longer Jump-Cancel his shine.
  • Reflector no longer comes out in one frame.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I think Fox hasn't changed much.
His Up-smash got nerfed but it's still a good kill move. He can't waveshine anymore but foxtrot shining is the next closest thing, and still works on some characters.

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
What? I take it you didn't play much Melee.

Let's look at some key differences (according to Smash Wiki)

Changes from Melee to Brawl

Blaster travels roughly half the distance it used to.
Reflector does not have a set knockback.
Can no longer Jump-Cancel his shine.
Reflector no longer comes out in one frame.
I said his moves had been nerfed. That means that they don't travel as far / have dynamic knockback / can't be jump-canceled / have slower start-up time. It doesn't mean that the character itself has been changed. If Brawl had Melee's physics, Fox would be much better off than he is now, same with Falcon and Shiek. However, he still wouldn't be as good as he was, as a result of the nerfs.

EDIT: Compare him to someone else, Falco, for example. Falco's reflector isn't necessarily worse, like Fox's, it's just different.

Count Ramsely

Smash Rookie
I would bet anything that the one character who is the least changed is some one like Mr. Game and Watch! How many people even pick him anyways? no offens to the Mr. Game and Watch Pros! XD Ganondorf hasnt changed too much either, mostly just his punch and dash grab thing were he lifts you by your head and makes your FACE EXPLODE!!! XD my favorite of his attacks just for that reason! XD

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I would bet anything that the one character who is the least changed is some one like Mr. Game and Watch! How many people even pick him anyways? no offens to the Mr. Game and Watch Pros! XD Ganondorf hasnt changed too much either, mostly just his punch and dash grab thing were he lifts you by your head and makes your FACE EXPLODE!!! XD my favorite of his attacks just for that reason! XD
I really hope that's sarcasm about G&W.

And you can't just judge it by the appearance of the moves or a placement on the tier list. You have to take into account the general playstyle. Falco has remained in the same place, but now instead of ridiculous combos, he has an annoying laser and shine. Fox's moves still kind of look the same, but he completely lost his overwhelming offensive potential.

I'd say Marth is the least changed. He still abuses his range and aerials. Of course, he doesn't have a grab that reaches across the whole freaking stage now, but he's pretty similar. He can't ken combo, but no one can really combo anymore, so that shouldn't really be taken into consideration.

I'd say DK is pretty similar, too, except for his uthrow stuff.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Captain Falcon, Samus and Jigglypuff have all not changed vastly, it's just that they don't work in Brawl as well as they used to.

Marth traded uber range for many kill moves, albeit not safe kill moves. Falco decided to become some gay ballerina (You USED to be cool!) and Link lost both his spike (Essentially, you can do it now, but good luck) AND his semi spike (Up B). Game and Watch got a **** recovery, a **** Nair and they made his shield not suck.

Anyways the answer is Pichu because all he did was evolve. Boooooring.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
roy...oh wait....

thats a hard question....but i guess i would say boozer cuz of his side B or luigi.

no what about toon link? he used to be young but now he is a toon.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Donkey Kong.

They all changed a bit, in my opinion, because of the gameplay of Brawl, but he changed the least.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Hmm... I'd say it's betwwen Marth or Luigi, they definetly changed the least out of any of the vets.

Kirby seems to have returned from SBB64, because apparently he's as good as he used to be back then,

Top Bottom