• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
Man, I really want to play against you but Texas is so far away from CT. I usually jab after I miss space a move simply to cover the option of my opponent running in because they saw I missed a move, or after a wave-bounced boomerang.

D

Deleted member

It's a meteor. It's pretty good, you can nair into d tilt meteor

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Dtilt is one of the best things you can do to a lot of recovering opponents. As Ness/Fox/Falco/mostly everyone is coming back to the ledge with up-B, stand back from the ledge one tiny sword length and get that meteor. Can be teched a bit easier now IIRC cuz it sends them closer to the edge.

Also hey guys, just gotta say Toon 3.5 is the most BA, safe-on-shield-when-spaced motha-****** I could have asked for. Any good advice vs experienced melee marths? I have a hard time if I'm not playing them wayy campy, and even then it's my weakest MU.

Last edited:

KrobbleGoo

Smash Rookie
Anyone else mix it up by throwing the boomerang on the ground so it bounces into em? I find the confusion usually buys time for a bomb or so.

NightRaid|tAmA?

Smash Cadet
I finally have recorded games (from 3.5) to post. If someone could critique my gameplay, I would really appreciate it. I've mained Tink ever since I started in 3.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw1Kp3vxsoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dph3gk3sIlQ
From the first match alone I noticed that your movement and item placement were lackluster. You weren't properly spacing your rangs and arrows and was also standing still while throwing rangs which isn't all that good. Tink is a very mobile character you have to keep moving and throwing your opponent off with spaced item throws. Your combos were also lackluster. You should be doing things like jab>jab>up-tilt>up-smash on heavier characters. Bair chains into finisher moves ( dair or up-b ). or Jab>jab>up-smash into some up-air chains or bair chains. Nair also has some combo potential. You were consistently doing Linkish things like jag>d-smash which lead to nothing. I also seen you try to throw off-stage at early percents in stead of going for up-throw into up-air chains or d-throw into up-tilt stuff. I do get the jab>jab> d-smash stuff at higher percents though. Movement,combos, and item spacing is very important just putt in some more practice.

Edit : Against jiggs you should be constantly barraging her with items and consistently get you rest punishes. I think Agt bomb into dair kills at like 80 ( if it combos. Bombs usually combo into dair or up-b ). F-smashes also are good ways to punish. I'm pretty sure standard things like jab>jab>up-tilt also works and jiggs above you can't really come down so capitalize on jiggs above you ( I'll probably have more to say later if I remember. If I made any mistake anyone feel free to correct me )

Last edited:

Ola

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input. My movement's probably my weakest area, so I'll keep working on that. FWIW, I play against both of these players a lot, so they are used to seeing jab>jab>something combos all the time.

From what I've experienced, the jabs can be crouch cancelled and punished before my third option comes out. Additionally, some players have learned to smash DI the jabs to avoid the option altogether. Thanks again, hopefully I can get more of my matches recorded soon.

D

Deleted member

Bomb, Fair, Grab, Up throw, juggle them with stuff like up airs until you have to up b, edge guard situation, dead

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
Here's another question: Why do so many resident 14 year old smashers (mainly in Texas) pick up Tink? Like almost all of them just pick him up lol. Its a conspiracy.

D

Deleted member

I've never seen another 14 year old kid in TX pick tink besides me

I don't think any 14 year olds are in TX

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
I've never seen another 14 year old kid in TX pick tink besides me

I don't think any 14 year olds are in TX
Ive seen like 10 on the ladder, and myself included.
Not to mention one of them replied to this very discussion and ones following me.

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
I'm having huge problems with Falco right now. I can't control my opponents actions with projectiles like I'm used to, his lasers just shut that down so fast. What should I be doing in this matchup? I don't have any footage, but might be able to get some tomorrow. What should I be thinking about in the meantime though?

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I can always use help in that matchup too! Here's what I got

Falco can effectively shut down your shffl game from the right distance. If you stay totally grounded, always try to powershield that laser. I tent to get a couple PS'd laser against falcos, many of which are reflected, which helps create an opening for counter camp very well.

The grounded and short hop game is frustrating and seems more techincal. Against Falco (sometimes Fox) a full hop approach seems like the better choice. Gets you where you can breathe a bit, maybe pull a bomb, boomerang, cool zair etc..

In his face:
I'm a huuuge nair lover in 3.5. If you get near the full spacing of nair, landing a shffl'd nair or a late nair is great. On shield you can dash back safely after, jab, quick nair, tilt, grab. There's a lot of options but they're really all mixups. I like jabs on shield if they're at a safe distance.

You must not let Falco get back on stage. Getting good at grabbing the edge to bait out phantasms is big. Like from really high above the ledge, fastfall and get it. And predicting/seeing when it's coming onstage. Dtilt spike or fsmash bad firefalcos

Grabs at 0 on him seem near fatal. Not sure how confirmed the chaingrab is on him, but if you read/react to their DI on uthrow you should be able to get like 5/6 regrabs, followed but crazy Uthrow/Uair/Utilt combo, into UpB into edgegaurd type deally

For kills outside of combos I look for tricky nairs, jab-jab-dsmash, Dair depending stage? Maybe a good fair or nair coming from a full hop or double jump

Last edited:

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Separate thing:

Toon Link can full hop, double jump down air. And it autocancels. That's sick right? Has it always been able to do this? I love autocancel dairs from platforms, but didn't notice them on flat ground until 3.5

D

Deleted member

Toon Link has been able to auto cancel his down air for a while. It's honestly pretty silly, it makes his down air have significantly less commitment when landing from a high distance. If you watch me vs. Hamyojo, I often drop bombs from the sky and land with dair because its really safe and the auto cancel lets me land with 0 risk.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I've seen the videos, you have beautiful down airs! It's the gimmick that I would be truly sad if they took out. Makes battlefield/the whole game so fun. Sometimes I feel like Toon Link doesn't need it, and other times I need it. Haha come take our money in CO Lunchables!

I'll team if you wanted and we could do crazy ****.

D

Deleted member

lol, I don't really have much of a reason to go to colorado right now

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Lol. You're too young for Colorado. But let people know, Colorado would love some good players to come beat us for our money. Zero came and took our money once!

Player -0

Smash Hero
It's just difficult for me to move to fast fall after I Bair

I'm new, what does ff iirc mean?
They were two different acronyms:
- iirc is an internet wide one. It means "If I recall correctly."
- ff is mainly smash (unless you're playing Dota or something, then it's finish fast). In smash it means fast fall.

As Jolteon said (he's hiding under the pseudonym of Flareon) you can't fast fall while going upwards, wait until the apex of your jump.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
is the social thread kill?,its been ten days
anyway, i was wondering about the flame dair, whats a good setup?

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
I think a back throw can be alright if they don't DI it right. I'm pretty sure as long as you can reliably come up at them while they're still in hitstun you'll be good.

Top Bottom