• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
thanks homie :]

i play competitively in the boston area at smashing grounds usually, but i go to med school in ireland, so i'm birthing a scene over here to the best of my ability. i'm a lucario main, but toon link entices my interest, so i kinda wanted to experiment with him for this tourney. i really really like him, but i'm unfamiliar with his BnB stuff, so if i could get some critique, that'd be great!

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
thanks homie :]

i play competitively in the boston area at smashing grounds usually, but i go to med school in ireland, so i'm birthing a scene over here to the best of my ability. i'm a lucario main, but toon link entices my interest, so i kinda wanted to experiment with him for this tourney. i really really like him, but i'm unfamiliar with his BnB stuff, so if i could get some critique, that'd be great!
Well you do have good fundementals with him for just picking him up for 1. Let me watch over a little bit to see what you can work on :D

Shrug

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think of the Mario matchup now? The general consensus seemed to be that it was bad for Toon Link in 3.0. Do you think the changes they made to him have helped make the matchup a bit more even?

EDIT: By the way, do you guys want a dedicated matchup thread? Some other character forums have a thread specifically for MU discussion, and the OP has links to posts regarding each matchup. I think it would be useful for organizing our collective matchup knowledge.

Last edited:

Tehtigerfist

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I've come back from a long 3-4 long month break and all i can say is what did they due to my character :'( can somebody link me to some good 3.5 toon link matches and give me any tips of how i should be playing. Thank you.

D

Deleted member

If you want to combo at low-mid %, use U throw
if you can't use U throw to kill, go for the 50/50 off of D/F throw and if you correctly read their DI go for an aerial up b or dair

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
If you want to combo at low-mid %, use U throw
if you can't use U throw to kill, go for the 50/50 off of D/F throw and if you correctly read their DI go for an aerial up b or dair
more then dair/upb imo. you can use a lot but those are ideally the best follow ups.

D

Deleted member

... What did you just try to type? I can't understand you lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
... What did you just try to type? I can't understand you lmao

I'm saying you can use more than upB and dair after Fthrow/Dthrow. Sometimes they expect dair or upB & don't DI Fair or Nair, whatever mix up you decide to use, so you can get kills earlier with it.

D

Deleted member

Oh, you said then instead of than.
Fair is also good but nair isn't nearly as good as up b/fair/dair in terms of raw knockback

Poloflipx

Smash Ace
Generally I had a much easier time against Fox, it's just that Falco's lasers really shut me down and forced me to approach

White Wolf

Smash Cadet
Generally I had a much easier time against Fox, it's just that Falco's lasers really shut me down and forced me to approach
Learn how to wavedash OOS consistently. Zairs are good on pressing his space if you can slip them in. Falco's lasers also become less abrasive if you can power shield. It is pretty hard to be patient in this match up.

White Wolf

Smash Cadet
Yoshi match up anyone? I rarely see any, but the few I see are pretty resilient. Does anyone have a good amount of experience versus this character?

tc1

Smash Lord
I think the new nair has alot of applications, its definitely not a bad move. I just miss the sex kick :(
Gonna be in the lab this friday, tourny stream too :} I'll have some TL footage up!

D

Deleted member

Is it true Toon Link's grapple hook replaced the clawshot in 3.5? And that he has a windbox on one of his taunts?
Tinks Zair wasn't changed afaik. Nothing about this is referenced in the changelog

Also his up taunt has a windbox on frame 91

B.W.

Smash Champion
Toon Link always had the hookshot, even in Brawl.

Wind Waker didn't have a Claw Shot like Twilight Princess did.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Last edited:

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
I'm having a hard time using dair well, especially the spike hitbox. A lot of the things I've read combo into it (downthrow, backthrow, etc) just don't seem to line up, even with what should be the right DI. Any tips for using dair better overall?

White Wolf

Smash Cadet
I'm having a hard time using dair well, especially the spike hitbox. A lot of the things I've read combo into it (downthrow, backthrow, etc) just don't seem to line up, even with what should be the right DI. Any tips for using dair better overall?
For me to get a dair finisher, my opponent has to either DI badly or have terrible stage positioning (or both). I honestly go for the dair reads on techs and bad DI most of the time.

Jolteon

For the fire spike in particular? There are a few reliable conversions I've found. Weak hit rang -> dair at higher %s, bomb -> dair, bair -> dair on survival DI at mid-high %s, utilt -> dair at mid %s. I've also landed it from uthrow and uair on ff'ers/semi-ff'ers. Of course, weight class plays a huge role in successful conversions.

Last edited:

Jolteon

Sorry Smith, I forgot to check the previous page. :X I'll update the OP now!

edit: Also record in a higher res than 240p next time. :p

Last edited:

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
@Lunchables I nearly died just watching the gf of IaB36, the combos were amazing. One this I noticed you don't do is jab, I use jab for everything so can I have a reason on why you don't use it; leads to a lot of things like downsmash which can't be cc around 100% where it kills.

D

Deleted member

I Jabbed several times, and got shield grabbed for it
It's good but situational.

Top Bottom