• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

B.W.

Smash Champion
N-Air had few functions for me in 3.02. One of them being covering me as I dropped on top of people. It was safer than D-Air and started stuff. It doesn't serve that purpose anymore because the middle of T.Link is vulnerable.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Old nair had a lot of usage, but I can think of way more for the new one (with comparitively less experimentation), and this is coming from someone who had/has a very Nair heavy playstyle. Obviously, not everything the old nair worked for will apply to the new one (they are different moves), but the same could easily be said in reverse. I just ask that you give more than several hours worth of experimentation with the move before writing it off as being worse, let alone crap. FWIW, I was initially very opposed to the change during our internal testing, it took me time to embrace it.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hi guys, just joining the thread cause I'm think about playing Toon link when PM comes to PAL. Just a few things I have on my mind.

1) Toon Link is should very similar to his smash 4 self, in that his bomb range is reduced and down throw is hard to combo.

2) does anyone have any footage of Tink's new nair cause I really want to see it.

thats all. i really excited for PM and hope the PAL release is soon.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Lol Tinks Nair is just like brawls. I believe Bomb range has been reduced since 3.5s release and down throw is now 110 degrees angle instead of 90 degrees making it harder to combo out of.

Last edited:

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umzunUoXvFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s3kLyXUEOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnEEbT4SXzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZ5m7t3ZDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UolTbRGmhEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqfCSSTJeOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lo8pAlAWEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqfCSSTJeOQ

First 8 matches I played in 3.5.

I enjoy nair & I think it's a really good exchange from the old nair. I'm glad to have YL's throws & fthrow/dthrow is DI mix up. Sad about the tether, but it's understandable because tether was really good. Wish fair was better. uthrow uair is great on a lot of people. Up b grounded got nerfed =[

It's really hard to adjust to everything. I'm having a super tough time adjusting to not tether canceling to up b as an option or tethering in general. It's easily punished in 3.5. Once I adjust I'll be playing a lot better. I also did a lot of experimenting. I'm still messing with stuff. Toon Link vs Spacies is way harder now, and that is something I hate.

I'm the Toon Link in all the videos. I'll upload more tomorrow night if i go to a tournament.

Last edited:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I really hated Brawl Nair when we first started testing it, but the boys got it right. I think a lot of TL cheese left this version, which was as we planned... but the character is more than in tact. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone does with him.

Especially you @Lunchables.

D

Deleted member

Tink is actually really good in 3.5. His new nair is really stupid good

Limitforce

Smash Rookie
Is anyone able to tell me what refreshes the decay on air glide toss? Is it using other throws or time or what?

Really wish he got a grounded GT or a non-ass roll after this change in particular.

D

Deleted member

Landing back on the ground returns your glide toss height back to normal

Limitforce

Smash Rookie
Edges dont count huh? Man recovery is gonna be rough this patch, but everything else seems doable.

Gonna be using a lot less ledge jump thats for sure.

Last edited:

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
full hop nair ff arrow cancel is a thing. short hop nair is an auto cancel if you do it quick enough. good for spacing like falco's bair. good OoS option too.

yay another aerial that can ac =]

Last edited:

TheNumber47

Smash Rookie
Are you sure sh nair can auto cancel? I've been trying with it for a while and I can land most auto cancels, but haven't been able to get it yet

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
You guys should try this, shffn jab jab (covers the option of people running in because you mispaced a move) grab down throw (catches them off guard because they don't expect a grab) uptilt sh bair up tilt uptilt sh up air.

Also if you ever put someone in a tech chase postion wavebounce boomerang to hit em in the face if they tech in :D

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
You guys should try this, shffn jab jab (covers the option of people running in because you mispaced a move) grab down throw (catches them off guard because they don't expect a grab) uptilt sh bair up tilt uptilt sh up air.

Also if you ever put someone in a tech chase postion wavebounce boomerang to hit em in the face if they tech in :D
That's quite a combo. Is it confirmed at all times or damage and or di dependant?

Last edited:

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
down throw part is di dependant. upthrow up air isnt di able I believe, should be able to juggle them with 2 up airs.

D

Deleted member

Vs FFers in 3.02, you could use up throw but it was usually better to use D throw. In 3.5, Up throw is the go to throw until very late %s

edit: jolteon sniped me YOU MOTHER ******

Last edited by a moderator:

Jolteon

Cool beans, good to know. I knew Up Throw worked on FF'ers/Semi's during 3.02 but it seems every character received throw release changes?
Yes, global issues with the Stage Collision Detection in 3.02 unintentionally made all throw points higher. In 3.5, this has been fixed.

edit: @Lunchables <3

Last edited:

Jolteon

Yeah, his DACUS sucks. =p

Also, same here as Lunchables. I don't have any footage yet.

Last edited:

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
Realized that after 30min of debug mode grinding. N0 footage either qq.

People should try to wavebounce a boomarang as a tech chase option. waveboncing covers the getup attack option because you 7/10 "bounce" out of their range, a tech in a freev 19% from the rang bop, tech away is a 7% rang hit with some combo potential.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
What is the sweetspot on rang anyway? I never understood but at 19% it sounds great.

D

Deleted member

the boomerang sweetspot is active for 3 frames after throwing it out, it does 19% and is -3 on shield iirc

It's melee rang... except its actually really ****ing stupid and probably shouldn't have been in 3.5

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Stupid good, or just an awkward designed mechanic? Sounds like the latter considering I can't see it be too useful to need to be right next someone with a rang.

D

Deleted member

Its stupid good, you can run away and then b reverse the boomerang, so during the startup you're away from your opponent but you turn your momentum around due to the b reverse and you're only near them as you're throwing it out. Rang on shield and then jab/spot dodge, Rang hitconfirm into aerials or aerial up b.

Rang into Aerial up b is like 40%

thats why I spam b reverse rang in 3.02, I use it as a way to avoid my opponents during startup lol

Shrug

Smash Cadet
I wasn't sure about the changes to Toon Link at first, but now I like them. I'm getting used to the new nair, and it's really useful. I still kind of miss the sex kick, but it's no big deal. I miss being able to move around with grounded up b, but that was a bit too good. Same with his up smash. Overall, his stuff that was too good was removed, which is a good thing.

Top Bottom