• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

`dazrin

Smash Champion
The PMBR isn't confirming nor denying any changes in 2.6 at this time. You'll just have to catch a stream and pick apart the differences for yourself! :)

B.W.

Smash Champion
I went back and watched the archive a little. I saw absolutely nothing different about him. So any changes must be very minor.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm finding Toon to be a character of extremes.
His projectile game can wreak havoc on a shield, while at the same time he crumbles under pressure.
As far as getting kills, it can take as little as one quick combo into an edgeguard, while at other times he seems almost impossible.
One match against a friend's Lucas, daired him at 130% on FoD, he didn't die, couldn't believe it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
The HTC One V?
The newest one with blinkfeed, and front speakers.

I'm finding Toon to be a character of extremes.
His projectile game can wreak havoc on a shield, while at the same time he crumbles under pressure.
As far as getting kills, it can take as little as one quick combo into an edgeguard, while at other times he seems almost impossible.
One match against a friend's Lucas, daired him at 130% on FoD, he didn't die, couldn't believe it.
He can be like that yes. Though if you're having trouble with pressure, up-B OoS harder. It's so good.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Hm... I can't say, unfortunately. I can tell you however that I much prefer playing 2.6 TL.

sai: Good luck with your TL training. Are you interested in using him in tournament at all? :p

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'll have to mess with him when it releases I suppose.

However Ivysaur with new Seed Bomb lobbing action might steal me away.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
He can be like that yes. Though if you're having trouble with pressure, up-B OoS harder. It's so good.

No can do, I turn tap jump off.
At least, people have always told me you need to have it on to up-B OoS.
Anyways, AGT is easier with tap jump off.

B.W.

Smash Champion
No can do, I turn tap jump off.
At least, people have always told me you need to have it on to up-B OoS.
Anyways, AGT is easier with tap jump off.
You can still do it. Set another button to jump. R or L or even one of the directions on the D-Pad. That way you can hit your new jump button and up+A or up on the C-Stick to do smashes OoS or up+B.

It's still way easier with tap jump on though.

Also I went over some more of Jolteon's stream. T.Link got a small buff where he doesn't do the boomerang catch animation unless he's standing still.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Hm... I can't say, unfortunately. I can tell you however that I much prefer playing 2.6 TL.

sai: Good luck with your TL training. Are you interested in using him in tournament at all? :p
I might be using him in a few tournaments. I'm considering going all Toon Link in a coming tournament soon. However, at Low Tier City. I may be playing only Pit, and if the chance comes, my Toon Link will make an appearance. Also, playing 2.6 Toon Link is fun.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I might be using him in a few tournaments. I'm considering going all Toon Link in a coming tournament soon. However, at Low Tier City. I may be playing only Pit, and if the chance comes, my Toon Link will make an appearance. Also, playing 2.6 Toon Link is fun.
That sounds awesome. :D let me know how it goes.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Another Texas Toon Link. Awesome. So far it's mainly been me in tournament. I'm starting to move up the Texas ladder, but unfortunately I won't be at LTC.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Oh yeah TL fun guy I might skeedadle with him at low tier city

D

Deleted member

G rabbit I've been playing TL since 2.1 I tried him in tournament a few times but it didn't work out.
I still keep trying him though, I'll bring him out in serious matches more and more often.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
G rabbit I've been playing TL since 2.1 I tried him in tournament a few times but it didn't work out.
I still keep trying him though, I'll bring him out in serious matches more and more often.
I remember seeing some of your 2.1 stuff. I didn't start out in the tourney scene until 2.5b, although I still played a lot of Toon Link in 2.1. I can understand you switching to Marth though. He has more favorable match-ups against the rest of the cast, and with an already established metagame, he's pretty easy to pick up. Strawhat also plays a bit of Toon Link in tourney, but he's pure C. Falcon when he's serious. So I guess that makes 4 of us.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I remember seeing some of your 2.1 stuff. I didn't start out in the tourney scene until 2.5b, although I still played a lot of Toon Link in 2.1. I can understand you switching to Marth though. He has more favorable match-ups against the rest of the cast, and with an already established metagame, he's pretty easy to pick up. Strawhat also plays a bit of Toon Link in tourney, but he's pure C. Falcon when he's serious. So I guess that makes 4 of us.
Also a Texas Toon Link heyyuhhh!
Never entered a PM tourney before though, lol. I switch b/w TL and Link depending on the match-up
You're in College Station?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Too many bro too many. Character doesn't deserve that many people clustered.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Yeah, I go to A&M. Are you from the area?
Nope, I grew up in Houston, but I went to college at UT and now live in Austin.
We don't really have a PM "scene" here, but I've found a fair number that do play and are decent.

Too many bro too many. Character doesn't deserve that many people clustered.
Um, most popular video game character in existence, yeah he does.
Who the hell likes Falco? He doesn't even deserve to be a good character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
TL should have Super Swimming as a move

Like that would be the perfect Dash Attack

D

Deleted member

Make it so one of his taunts is like his wind waker, so he goes to the edge, taunt cancels (this is on pirate ship), then he does a wind waker dive and goes into the water.
Or make it like storage if you get it off of a platform and you fall off while pressing taunt the frame before you hit the ground, this makes TLs next move become stored in him, so its like one of ness's jackets from melee. PMBR?! PLEASE?!?

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Nope, I grew up in Houston, but I went to college at UT and now live in Austin.
We don't really have a PM "scene" here, but I've found a fair number that do play and are decent. .

You should try to hit up the tourney scene soon. We're pretty active here in Texas. You should check out the Power Rankings Thread (http://smashboards.com/threads/7-8-...outhwest-power-rankings-social-thread.333159/) if you haven't already to stay in the loop of when tournaments are going down.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
You should try to hit up the tourney scene soon. We're pretty active here in Texas. You should check out the Power Rankings Thread (http://smashboards.com/threads/7-8-...outhwest-power-rankings-social-thread.333159/) if you haven't already to stay in the loop of when tournaments are going down.
I'd certainly love to, but I unfortunately don't have the time to travel for them, and most seem to be the ones hosted by Sethlon in DFW.
I've played his Sonic before, it's beast, but then I saw what Hylian's Link did to it, and got a better appreciation of just how good Hylian is, lol.
I know that Whobo has started doing PM as a side event, but I typically only visit for weekends so my time is limited.
The only high level player in Austin that likes PM is Austin RC, but he's not really interested enough to do tourneys.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Haha hold up, I don't main TL. I main Pit, I have a sub-main TL that I've been using lately, to get him up to par alongside my Pit.

Also, DMG. Give Toon Link the Zombie Hover as his Up-B, tingle turner 4lyfe.

@Jolteon: Thanks for the TL advice, really. I was playing him on Oracle's stream, mainly singles and doubles, if you'd want to watch and give a little tips or point out anything I was doing wrong, I'd appreciate the help. (Or from anyone, really.) http://www.twitch.tv/oracletx/b/427769561

P.S - Sick combo at 1:19:11

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, new Project M player here and I main TL ... So hi!

I'm not that good, I'm trying to be a little more competitive after playing casual for so long.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Cool to hear. Also cool that you're trying to pick up T.Link

What'd you play before Project: M?

Depending on your answer I'll either laugh at you or ask more questions.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Cool to hear. Also cool that you're trying to pick up T.Link

What'd you play before Project: M?

Depending on your answer I'll either laugh at you or ask more questions.
Mostly Brawl, Melee came out when I was pretty young and I haven't been able to grab another disk since I last played it a couple years ago. I found out about the backless method of brawl hacking maybe two months ago when I started playing Brawl minus like crack. Then I got bored and switched Brawl Minus to Project M and I like it to much to go back.

Unfortunately I'm not a god or anything. I know my basic toon link strategy from brawl a d I'm still getting used to l-canceling + wavedash / landing

B.W.

Smash Champion
lol.

Okay I laughed.

Glad you're liking the game. If you have any questions, obviously ask away. Everyone here is willing to give you a hand in learning the character. Post videos of yourself playing with other people (not computers) if you can.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'll probably upload a replay or two once I'm more confident in my TL. I at least have a couple of friends helping with the transition between Brawl and project M.

Maybe when I wake up later ( its 2am here) I'll ask some questions.

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
So 2.6 Tink is out, and I think I've noticed a change with his bomb jumping.

Is it possibly nerfed? I can't string it as well as I used to. Around the fourth or fifth jump, the bomb doesn't explode when I spin attack it.

It just goes flying either left or right after..

Top Bottom