• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

`dazrin

Smash Champion
sometime very soon. you won't have to wait too long for it, im sure.

but i strongly suggest u test things out on ur own and try to find out the changes for yourself as best as you can :)

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not sure if I've just gotten a bit better, but I'm finding it easier to bomb jump now.

Also I love the new dair.

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
Not sure about a new D-Air but did notice a difference with Tink's grounded D-Tilt when sweetspotted.

In 2.5b it would prop your opponent in the air, and leaving him or her in hitstun.

In 2.6, the stun is still there, but at low percentages, the sweetspot doesn't launch your opponent upwards anymore.

It's an interesting change, and I'm trying to modify my old strategies that worked with it in 2.5b to 2.6.

D

Deleted member

Not really, TL just needs to spam bombs and boomerangs and he will beat the MK. If he wrecklessly approaches then you can shield and punish with w/e you want.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
OK, finally got a chance to mess around a bit with 2.6, TL's bomb jump is now DEFINITELY harder.
It seems like you have to be even more precise with your glide toss, and now I find myself hitting the bomb with the spin attack and it won't explode.
I'm very curious to see that change list.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
I think they're trying to experiment on something with up b bombing. I've wanted to try agt up and up b so that I grab the ledge with my up b but hit the bomb on my way up towards the stage. I also wanted to try throwing up a bomb, grounded up b near the ledge, catch the bomb in the up b and fall off the stage. You cancel the grounded up b into a ledge grab, and I want to see how the bombs trajectory changes. Can probably be a good gimp tool?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I really haven't had the chance to play 2.6 with anyone. Just messing around by myself I've noticed a few things I think, but I might be wrong on some, if not all, of them.

-Faster fall speed.
-F-Air is faster and might have more KBG
-Boomerang catch animation is gone except when standing still.

Other than that, I'm not sure why people are having trouble AGTing. It was the first thing I tried with him and it all feels the same to me.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I didn't notice anything different at all about B-air, if you're implying something way changed.

Hoping the change log comes out soon so I can see what all is different about T.Link and Pikachu.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Bair feels like it kills earlier, but I'm guessing that's not a change. ;)

Also, didn't Fair do 15% in 2.5 iterations? Up B also feels like it goes farther, but I haven't played in a while, so that may just be me.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Bair sends at a higher angle, and has one frame faster IASA to match TL's Bair in Melee.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I really haven't had the chance to play 2.6 with anyone. Just messing around by myself I've noticed a few things I think, but I might be wrong on some, if not all, of them.

-Faster fall speed.
-F-Air is faster and might have more KBG
-Boomerang catch animation is gone except when standing still.

Other than that, I'm not sure why people are having trouble AGTing. It was the first thing I tried with him and it all feels the same to me.
No, AGTing is exactly the same, it's the bomb jump itself.
My timing is dead on, I catch up to the bomb but it wont explode on me unless I hit it dead center with TL's body.
It also now seems to hit TL's sword and won't explode, never did that before. I could perform seemingly endless bomb jumps in 2.5b, now I have trouble doing just one.

B.W.

Smash Champion
No, AGTing is exactly the same, it's the bomb jump itself.
My timing is dead on, I catch up to the bomb but it wont explode on me unless I hit it dead center with TL's body.
It also now seems to hit TL's sword and won't explode, never did that before. I could perform seemingly endless bomb jumps in 2.5b, now I have trouble doing just one.
I had no trouble bomb jumping either, so I dunno.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
I usually start to have problems bomb jumping on my 3rd Agt. Idk if its my own input error but it seems even when I line TL's head up with the bomb, the bomb bounces away.

Anyway, I was playing around with Agt ( mostly agt down recatch off stage) and I found out you can double jump, Agt down at the peak of your double jump and then Waveland to catch the bomb or agt right before you touch the ground to immediately throw it.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I highly doubt that they made up b go any lower. :smirk:

Bair stringing cpus into up b for the kill was fun in 2.5b, now it's even easier. :eek: I like that.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Sai, I'll critique you when I return from the states. :p

If there were two moves I'd recommend people to experiment with in 2.6 it would be bair and fthrow.

- Jolteon

BlinkIV

Avenger
Alright, sounds good. I'll definitely work with those moves, and I might be busting out my Toon Link at Low Tier City this weekend as well.

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
By any chance, would there be a matchup sheet for Toon Link?

I'm curious to see which matches are in my favor, and which ones I have to put more work into lol.

D

Deleted member

Messing with AGTs online and my AGTs seem to either never reach or the bomb is for w/e reason hit away instead of exploding on me.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
It's not a change to AGT. AGT is exactly the same; the height for the up-b is the exact same as well (I'm pretty certain).

It's the up-b *hit* in itself that is a little different, which as a result, affected multi-bombjumps indirectly. Like I said before, whenever the changelog gets released, it should become clear.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I've still had 0 trouble bomb jumping. I do it like I've always done it and everything works the same as it always has for me.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
By any chance, would there be a matchup sheet for Toon Link?

I'm curious to see which matches are in my favor, and which ones I have to put more work into lol.
No MU sheet, but it holds pretty consistently thus far with YL's MUs in Melee.
He has trouble against the spacies, and does well against floaties.
Overall does better against Sheik and Marth thanks to his buffs, does well against Peach and does VERY well against Puff.

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
Prove it dawg.
If he does prove it, then is it safe to say we all just suck? ;-;

No MU sheet, but it holds pretty consistently thus far with YL's MUs in Melee.
He has trouble against the spacies, and does well against floaties.
Overall does better against Sheik and Marth thanks to his buffs, does well against Peach and does VERY well against Puff.
Yeah, I figured the matchups would be equivalent to YL's Melee MUs.

However, while toying around with Melee, and seeing some of the people who main him in action, I've noticed that Young Link is mostly hit and run with Bomb -> Boomerang and either Up-Air or Down-Air.

My TL playstyle is a bit different as while I do use my projectiles, I find myself going on the offensive and approching with TL's interesting ground game - which has been working out for me so far.

Should I be playing him more like YL though?

Also, if you've played one, how exactly is the matchup between TL and Mario? I'm just curious that's all.

D

Deleted member

TL shouldn't be exactly like YL when you play him, you have more options now, better movement, and a bit more killing power. Still camp though, because boomerangs and bombs are the best.
Mario VS Tl is prolly like 55 45 Mario, He has really good grabs, tons of gimps, and a projectile. You can still beat him but its definitely not in his favor.

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
TL shouldn't be exactly like YL when you play him, you have more options now, better movement, and a bit more killing power. Still camp though, because boomerangs and bombs are the best.
Mario VS Tl is prolly like 55 45 Mario, He has really good grabs, tons of gimps, and a projectile. You can still beat him but its definitely not in his favor.
Hm. Maybe I'll incorporate a bit more of my YL game into TL. I'm not particularly fond of camping too much though.

But anyways, the reason why I was asking about the Mario matchup was because I dealt with one in a friendly tourney I participated around a week ago.

2.6 just came out and the changed frame for the spin attack really did affect my multi-bomb jumping. Those fireballs gimped me pretty badly lol.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Mario actually has a lot of **** on T.Link that, if you're a campy/runaway player, you're going to have to adjust to.

His fireballs are, in some cases (not all), more spammable than T.Link's projectiles. He has the cape to send poorly thrown projectiles back at you and he can gimp you very hard with his cape and b-air.

That's not to say T.Link has nothing against Mario. He can combo him decently, and his mobility is much better than Mario's and if there aren't any walls he can edge guard Mario with his (mindless) Aerial Up-Bing on the ledge.

imo I've always felt the matchup to be like 60-40 Mario. But I'm not 100% on that with 2.6 so I'll get back to you on that.

Top Bottom