• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where would you put Sonic at on the tiers?

NNID
MasterHavik
Yes,I'm that type of guy that hate tiers with a passion,but I want to ask you Sonic palyers.Where would you put Sonic at on the tier list? I thinking mid tier,becasue he has a good recovery,a great air/grimping game,and he fast.But he has probelms,like being easy to counter,bad protiry,and no real kill moves.So,in the end,Sonic would be better in the next game.It might be a good thing to make him a low tier.So,we want have that many Sonic's noobs.These so call pros,should stop makign tiers lists,becasue if would make noobs run to easy characters like Wolf,toon link,Pit,Ike,and many others.Tiers lists are bad!!!! Anyoen else got any thoughts about this?

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Honestly, he might start off pretty low on the list. Umby is right people are underestimating Sonic. He may end up somewhere in the mid tier (possibly upper). As for high tier, I doubt that due to obvious reasons.

P.S. Tiers are usually formed based on tournament data as well. So if people start winning tournaments with Sonic like Mr.3000 did, he may get noticed.

NNID
MasterHavik
I see,now people are getting cocky,and saying sonuc sucks,but when we satrt kickign there *** with Sonic,then there would be another story to tell.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Yes,I'm that type of guy that hate tiers with a passion,but I want to ask you Sonic palyers.Where would you put Sonic at on the tier list? I thinking mid tier,becasue he has a good recovery,a great air/grimping game,and he fast.But he has probelms,like being easy to counter,bad protiry,and no real kill moves.So,in the end,Sonic would be better in the next game.It might be a good thing to make him a low tier.So,we want have that many Sonic's noobs.These so call pros,should stop makign tiers lists,becasue if would make noobs run to easy characters like Wolf,toon link,Pit,Ike,and many others.Tiers lists are bad!!!! Anyoen else got any thoughts about this?
Well you're asking it in his specific board. If you want a real/unbiased opinion you should try your luck here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141725

Browny

Smash Hater
lolwut

unbiased opinion? vast majority of people who post in that thread (me included) have no idea what each character is capable of. Most people there chuck sonic low because just like lucario, they test him once in training, see how much damage he does, and chuck him low. that and the bandwagon effect, once one person chucks Zelda up high, everyone does. im a zelda main too but theres just no way shes high, i win with sonic literally 10x more than i do with zelda.

anyway little more on topic...
too many people put sonic lower since he has to get enemies relatively high to KO. they almost always discount the fact that sonic survives at huge %'s too. Compare him to someone like rob, as long as you stay out of the air and avoid his n-air of doom, how high does rob have to get to kill sonic? you should be able to get to 150% for every stock. many characters have trouble KO'ing sonic. Dedede is another prime example. unless a gordo kills you, you should be able to get to 140% every stock. This, added with the fact that sonic simply cannot be gimped (ive survived even Toon links d-air spike with the spring), more than makes up for the fact that sonic has to get his enemies higher than most.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
How many characters are there in this game again?
Yeah, that number. I'd place Sonic right about there.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I seem to be the only one who actually thinks Sonic has potential in the future to be high tier. At worst mid. Really, from Day 1, I've never had problems with priority with Sonic. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but I find myself using the right moves at the right time. Its not as if Sonic has no priority moves. SideB has megapriority if not invincibility frames, which I find to be extremely useful. Uair has insane priority. Spincharge has decent priority shortly after release. Smashing from a pivot or foxtrot = God. One of the most important things with Sonic is that NO CHAIN GRABS WORK ON HIM. You can UpB out of virtually ANYTHING by just mashing it.

I don't think at the metagame Sonics will have too much trouble killing. And i feel like there are tons more glitches to exploit which sonic can take uber advantage of. Also in an a

Spring = Uber tier. Haha recovering pit/lucas/ness/fox/falco/wolf/link/mario/ganondorf/anybody with stinky recover went die die.

Most importantly:
SHFFDTDST

Short Hop Fast Fall Down Taunt Dash Side Taunt.

"YOUR TOO SLOW!"

It causes Ike and Ganondorf to spontaneously combust.

Feel free to disagree.

snerd

Smash Cadet
to annoying to be low, would say (upper)mid
i always give up if i have to play against sonic -he's bad for my weak heart.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
overall compared to the other characters i'm sure he is ranked low normally ebcause it takes a lot to learn sonic.

Most people don't take the time to even understand his movement. So combine that with a lack of priority, obviously the average player will say "SONIC SUCKS LOLZ"

but it is very true that sonic is underestimated. I would put him in the top of mid-tier if i made the list. I think his speed gives him a pretty big edge on a lot of characters. Plus he is really good at avoiding damage all together, and racking up damage.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I thought about it - why would they give Sonic such low prioriity?

And it hit me yesterday, while fighting a Lucario online (asdlfkja aura).

He has the same amount of priority as every other character!!!

...and they focused it all on side-b's initial hop lulz

R4ZE

Smash Ace
his down b has pretty good priority too, and even his bair.

sonic's speed allows him to work around low priority tho. its always possible to catch the other character in a delay spot. so you don't have to out-priority any attack.

think about it, in the old sonic games, you EVADE attacks and attack when its clear. Even in the sonic show, he evades a lot fo crap before he ever attacks. When knuckles is punching at sonic, sonic is backing up. In fact the only attack sonic ever clashes with, is his spin dashes. So i guess it kinda makes sense in that respect. But i mean... sonic can swim in brawl so i dont think anyone really cared about being true to the blue hedgehog's history.

most of sonics moves are ripped str8 form other characters too... and he never even uses chaos control, or power rings.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Or Sonic Tornado (lol @ all the fake Genesis codes to get Sonic to do the Tornado in Sonic 2 T__T)

PS I JUST REMEMBERED:
Flash shield from Sonic 3!

Oh man, wouldn't it have been cool to have his N-air be the flash shield from Sonic 3 instead of the weird spin thing he does now!?

I just realized why it felt natural for me to tap A sexkick style with Sonic lol.

that would have made so much more sense :x

------
on-topic:

Are tiers really decided based on how people place at tourneys? I heard another thing, that tiers are rankings of a character's "potential", assuming both characters do everything perfectly. That sounds stupid, since most people will base them off of contact (which move beats what) where priority factors in infinitely, while Sonic seems to be a more opportunistic character, like R4ZE describes.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
well my own interperetation of tiers: how much a character pulls down a players ability

for example the best possible sonic vs the best possible wolf. (i think wolf would win)
but i don't really know, thats just my own opinion.

or if you had the best possible wolf vs the best possible wolf, the match would be extremely even.

I guess if we are going to complain about the game being unfair/unbalanced, then we should just shut up and start mastering the best character. (which is probobly G&W or DDD imo)

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
tenki, tiers reflect the potential of the character, however, they are made by placement at tournaments, so it reflects characters tournament potential. and going off that i'd place sonic next to yoshi and c falcon at the bottom, because i have heard of only one sonic winning a tournament, and i have never seen a sonic place higher than 25th out of 32, and most of the tournament sonics have switched to other characters. just going off tournaments, but definitely not mid, most of the people in mid are going to be the characters that place top ten often, if inconsistently, like ness, dk, and peach

R4ZE

Smash Ace
meh, i placed top 5 in a tourny with sonic(i got douched by wolf in two tournies)... but i mean... no1 plays sonic at tournies man... 50% of the competetors are wolf... the winners have been G&W, marth, and wolf at the tournies ive been to.

Dominatus

Smash Rookie
I would say Sonic is middle middle tier, People underestimate him so badly thats its an added advantage to Sonic mains, I think we should have some faith in the little blue fella, it seems the whole Sonic sucks bolls is imprinted in peoples minds and negative thoughts like that definately dont help win matches. Just my 2 pennies :psycho:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
tenki, tiers reflect the potential of the character, however, they are made by placement at tournaments, so it reflects characters tournament potential. and going off that i'd place sonic next to yoshi and c falcon at the bottom, because i have heard of only one sonic winning a tournament, and i have never seen a sonic place higher than 25th out of 32, and most of the tournament sonics have switched to other characters. just going off tournaments, but definitely not mid, most of the people in mid are going to be the characters that place top ten often, if inconsistently, like ness, dk, and peach
There were several tournaments that Sonic had won either 1st place or rnked in the top 3.
I place typically around 4th place.
Its the **** luigi that got me last time T_T

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Compared to your two pennies mine are worth like 50 bucks. XD

I wouldn't care if Sonic was bottom tier. I win fairly often so screw his placement.

My sentiments exactly. I mite start getting into the competitive scene, and I kinda like maining a character barely anyone usees at tourneys. At the very least, you get to impress people by showing your actually a good Sonic.

Just as a side note, don't forget that even tier lists aren't static. Heck, I haven't been aroundthe boards that long, but werent they considering banning Shiek from tourneys originally in melee? And in the first tier list for melee mario was 4th, wheras now he's like 11th, which is quite a big drop.

It could take year before we see any characters true potential.

Just me being a fanboy of course, I see most of that potential in Sonic.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Well tiers DO matter to an extent but I did quite well for myself in Melee and I played mid-tier or lower.

And no I don't have any vids or ACTUAL tournament experience but I'm certain I was pretty **** good. Go ahead and flame away btw I don't care.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
haha. nah terios we got ya' bak bro. I'm so glad i came on smash boards, my friends r douche noobs and tell me to quit sonic bcuzz he is a bad character, yet i can keep up with their douche DDD/G&W high tier peices of crap.

ugh but being on here with my fambly makes me wanna stick it out and stay with sonic. You got heart man, and we all respec dat'

Top Bottom