• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where would you put Sonic at on the tiers?

Sp3ed0fSoUnD

Smash Cadet
Terios dont worry about it, nobody's flamin it up here, to me you sound very experienced and you sound like you know what your talkin about, and R4ZE is completely right in that we have some fambly in the boards.. I repect ya too man =)

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
to be honest, not that high. Oh sure, he has a good recovery, and can (literally) run circles around you, but he has a rather scarily light feel when you get knocked. There is wieght to him when you attack, but getting hit makes you fell rather featherweight, which I find pretty jarring. Going from a rock to a feather kind of messes up my neuron firing processes, which is why I use him in limited situations.

iamthelifeonmars

Smash Cadet
THANK GOD! seriously, this place nedds better grammar.
well youre obviously not trying too hard, why should anyone else? i think sonic will be mid-tier, not that my opinion holds much value on the boards. people definitely dismiss him way too early. most of the time when i cant beat someone with tl (my main) i wreck them with sonic. its probably cuz of his lack of popularity in the competitive scene (most people dont really know what to expect from a seasoned sonic player), but anybody who puts an effort into saving their kill moves and constantly mixes up approaches shouldn't have much more trouble KOing than other light weight chars. plus, isn't sonic middle-weight? oh yeah, and yesterday i learned a 2x stutter-stepped fmash outranges (or has more priority, which i know isnt the case) a well-spaced fsmash from marth during a match with a friend IRL. please correct me if im wrong, im just going off of an observation. i thought it was pretty awesome though:laugh:

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
tenki, tiers reflect the potential of the character, however, they are made by placement at tournaments, so it reflects characters tournament potential. and going off that i'd place sonic next to yoshi and c falcon at the bottom, because i have heard of only one sonic winning a tournament, and i have never seen a sonic place higher than 25th out of 32, and most of the tournament sonics have switched to other characters. just going off tournaments, but definitely not mid, most of the people in mid are going to be the characters that place top ten often, if inconsistently, like ness, dk, and peach
LOLOLOLOL, NESS GETS CGED TO DEATH BY ABOUT 20 MEMBERS OF THE CAST, GG, NESS!

Yoshi is not low tier. Mid tier, at worst. Ganon's bottom, so is CF. Sonic isn't. He's solid mid-tier stuff.

Piccolo_Z

Smash Rookie
"THANK GOD! seriously, this place nedds better grammar."

Make sure you work on yours alittle more, ok.

It looks like whenever somebody posts a reply to a grammar mistake, he/she makes one too.

It's funny this thread has degenerated to a grammar thread.

I guess I'll play along as well.

I placed several grammar mistakes, I wonder who could catch them first!

Boxob

Smash Champion
Odd, I definitely recall claiming 4th at a tourney I went to with Sonic. I guess not, since it's impossible D:

NNID
MasterHavik
Ah,just like the Lurcario's Players(I think I spell his name wrong.) We have a awesome time on this Sonic's section with are tricks and tips agaisnt characters.And the best part si that we have a nice amount of good Sonic users.We don't need noobs like Ike,Mk,or,Pit.And the only way people can say sucks if they take the time out to use him,instead of being a so call "pro",and Cf sucks,GDof sucks,or Sonci sucks.And for those who post her saying he low.I got this to say to you,PLAY HIM LONGER THAN 2 MINS OR 30SECS,OK? Before making you're jugement.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Ah,just like the Lurcario's Players(I think I spell his name wrong.) We have a awesome time on this Sonic's section with are tricks and tips agaisnt characters.And the best part si that we have a nice amount of good Sonic users.We don't need noobs like Ike,Mk,or,Pit.And the only way people can say sucks if they take the time out to use him,instead of being a so call "pro",and Cf sucks,GDof sucks,or Sonci sucks.And for those who post her saying he low.I got this to say to you,PLAY HIM LONGER THAN 2 MINS OR 30SECS,OK? Before making you're jugement.
And this is why people think we're ********.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
LOLOLOLOL, NESS GETS CGED TO DEATH BY ABOUT 20 MEMBERS OF THE CAST, GG, NESS!

Yoshi is not low tier. Mid tier, at worst. Ganon's bottom, so is CF. Sonic isn't. He's solid mid-tier stuff.
yoshi is, just because he can't punish out of shields and very few play him in tournaments, if he had a normal shield he would easily be mid tier, however, anyone can just attack him with aerials and get away before he comes out of his shield, and going off tourney placement, sonic is low tier, possibly bottom because i see a few really good ganons and captain falcons popping up. also, ness is hard to grab, so while he does get CG'd it doesn't happen at many tournaments, in fact out here in the socal smash scene, it isn't uncommon to see a ness place top 10. so he is considered mid by all us on the west coast just because he can place high, however, he is too inconsistent to do it in every tournament, dk is similar, though that might be because only 2 people play dk in our region.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
list of things you need
1. grammar
2. spell check (seriously, your comp does it for you automatically)
3. relevant sentences
4. falcon punch
5. realization that most people have played sonic for several weeks (my friend that tried maining sonic included) because they liked there old sega genesis as a kid, however, once they tried to play him competitively they did not place well, and did not have fun playing like that (sonic dittos last longer than snake dittos if they manage not to sd), this made them switch characters, lowering the chances of a high placing sonic, therefore affecting his placement on the tier list. he is not that good, without hitstun he cannot do combos, and without combos he cannot kill as easily. if sonic was in melee he'd be pretty good, however, brawl is more focused around punishing with a strong move, and sonic does not have that strong of moves.

Browny

Smash Hater
ok now youre just a troll

"and going off tourney placement"

if you bothered to do any research you would notice, going off yourney placement sonic sits pretty comfortably in middle of mid tier

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ok now youre just a troll

"and going off tourney placement"

if you bothered to do any research you would notice, going off yourney placement sonic sits pretty comfortably in middle of mid tier
yourney placement maybe, but i have gone to a tournament (sometimes 2) every weekend since about two weeks after it came out. you can call me a troll because i do not agree with the general consensus of the thread, but i have honestly never seen a sonic place well in a tournament with more that 16 people. i have been playing in socal, with several old melee pros, like gimpyfish, dsf, and hugs, and a bunch of new names that never got big in melee but seem to be doing better than most in brawl, like ajax, edge, and futile. i don't know where you are, so i can't know if you are playing truly good people, or are just winning your local mom and pop game store tournament against a couple kids from school. if you are winning tournaments against good people, i have not heard about it, congratulations to you, you seem to be doing something that no one in socal can do. however, I do not see any sonics placing well out here, and several of the better sonic players (lucky included) have switched to other characters for tournaments, so i cannot see him placing high.

if you think me having an intelligent discussion is trolling however, i will get out of the sonic threads, i just figured you would like to hold actual discussions and get rid of the ******** stigma

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
HugS and Gimpy suuuuuuuuuuck. With the obvious aside, I kinda agree. Sonic's not high/top tier material. He's solid mid-tier stuff. I'm starting to think it matters less and less what the tier list as time goes on, though. I might end up agreeing with a lot of the old Melee pros soon about Brawl being fun and all, and Melee being the one meant for tournaments.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
And this is why people think we're ********.
Dude, we main Sonic-- we ARE ********.
With the REALLY obvious aside, the obsolescence of the tier concept does not make Brawl any less suitable for tournament play, and I still believe that many pros and scrubs (mostly scrubs) sold Brawl short too quickly. Even now, people are giving up on the competitive aspect of the game, which in many cases is a shame (but in a most I kinda wanna say who gives a sh*t, Brawl is losing nothing in your scrub-as$).

Umby

Smash Master
Dude, we main Sonic-- we ARE ********.
With the REALLY obvious aside, the obsolescence of the tier concept does not make Brawl any less suitable for tournament play, and I still believe that many pros and scrubs (mostly scrubs) sold Brawl short too quickly. Even now, people are giving up on the competitive aspect of the game, which in many cases is a shame (but in a most I kinda wanna say who gives a sh*t, Brawl is losing nothing in your scrub-as$).
Proof that Melee was such an amazing game and made a huge impact on the fighting game community.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
My friends' mock up conversation between me and my dad:

Dad: Listen this is BS, you need to go to college and stop cursing, this isn't a gym.

R4ZE: "you just don't understand....

Have YOU ever mained sonic dad??"

(I know the gym part doesn't make sense, but my dad actually said that IRL in front of my friends one day in a 100% serious tone, and my friends find it hilarious)

Browny

Smash Hater
time for lulz

everyone likes to say how sonic has weak knockback, lets look at how amazingly weak his knockback really is.

out of the other 38 characters in the roster,
22 have stronger F-smashes (or side b in the case of zamus)
16 have stronger D-smashes
10 have stronger b-air, f-air or n-air aerial finishers

a few things i took into account, i didnt count aerials which are very difficult to sweetspot (DK, snake, Dedede B-air, CF f-air) and aerial finishers were measured from the ground. I didnt consider spikes and u-air attacks; Pit's d-air and warios u-air are a very strong aerial finisher, however only when used high up. since sonic can u-air from anywhere on the screen, its hard to tell which is better, so i ignored attacks that sonic beats simply because he can attack from any hieght, and kill <100% under the right circumstances. even ivysaurs u-air wont kill below 100% since it cant jump anywhere near as high as sonic. Zelda u-air from below the stage kills earlier than sonic, so that still counts. Lucarios smashes were measured at 70%, since thats a fair average hp he will survive to per stock.

some mildly interesting results
Sonics fsmash is more powerful than adult link, Ice climbers and yoshi
his dsmash is more powerful than pikachu, ike and ganondorfs (seriously)
and his b-air is more powerful than any of Wolfs, squirtles and ROB's aerials

so next time someone claims sonic is low tier because he has low knocback, just remember those numbers.

difficulty of landing those finishers isnt a consideration, since that applies to pretty much everyone not named wolf or olimar

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ddd, snake and dk's bair difficlut to sweetspot? are you kidding, its harder to land the whiffed part of the attack than the strong one

adult links fsmash hits harder with the second swing, which does kill quicker than sonics

pikachus dsmash is not used for kills, in fact, several characters use the dsmash as a move to knock people away, the only ones that use it for kills are DK, metaknight, C. falcon, lucas, diddy, wolf, lucario, and G&W, the rest are not strong enough to kill effectively and are used more as a clear or a special (zamus and snake) than a kill

sonics fsmash is considered a bad killing move because it comes out too slow for his playstyle, and has less range than slower fsmashes like dk, dedede, and ike.

another reason sonic is considered to have bad kill moves are the fact that his aerials are not good killers from the stage, and he cannot kill up top, diddy has similar problems, however, diddy has bananas that allow him toget off his dsmash and fsmash. and thefact that you left off the top killers and spikes out of the study points out another one of sonics flaws (horizontal kos are easy to recover from unless it is extremely powerful)

R4ZE

Smash Ace
yeah but you have too consider that compared to sonic...

your too slow.

*on a more serious note, while sonics atatcks may be more difficult to land than other characters, they are not unusable... in fact sonics speed allows him to give people a few hits in the face before lining them up into a charged or just times fsmash, and his fsmash is one of his best killing moves just based on knock back and non-spamability. and actually sonic's fsmash gains quite a bit of range with the little shutter step trick.

Sonic's bair isnt hard to land all, its juts based on the player getting used to it.

sonic has other killing moves and also can chase quite easily because his recovery is stupid.

pikachu's Dsmash can definately kill. It's basicly about as lame as peaches dsmash in melee, except it sends people upward.

NNID
MasterHavik
*Sigh* Sometimes,I think I should stop typing to fast.There I go again being an idot.Sorry about that,but anyway I really think that some others just don't give us the light of day.I really have to stop being a nidot sometime.And this Sonic not being use a lot or Yoshi not being use a lot thing? I might need a little help with this one.

NNID
MasterHavik
Sorry,for the double post,but do you think anyone that doesn't main know what they are talking aobut when they say he low tier? I just ask question,that all.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
if the mains got to decide tiers, everyone would be top mid or high. its all up to tournament placement,and i have not seen high placing yoshis or sonics due to something with the character, so i assume they are low tier, due to lack of top 10 finishes

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Obviously someone hasn't been paying attention to tournament results. Look up Mr. 3000, and, while you're at it, check the US Chara Rankings, based on tournament results. Sonic's B tier on that.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
if the mains got to decide tiers, everyone would be top mid or high. its all up to tournament placement,and i have not seen high placing yoshis or sonics due to something with the character, so i assume they are low tier, due to lack of top 10 finishes
Nah, there's always some point where the mains don't deny an obvious truth. Especially in Melee. I mean, no one was going to main Mewtwo or Pichu and say either of those characters were top or even mid tier, and I don't think anyone will do that for Brawl even if a more solid tier structure ever becomes prevalent (hopefully it won't). And besides that, saying "mid tier" in Brawl is really just like saying "average" which in fighting games is just like saying "balanced."

Oh and one more thing, Sonic SUCKS but we play him anyways so haters can just stop telling us that already.

NNID
MasterHavik
So,in other words,if the chaarcter is not use a lot or place high in a trouney,they already suck? I'm not trying to be rude,but that a load of bull**** time 10 if you ask me.But,hey I don't really care.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Why would people *not* use a character that doesn't suck in a tourney? Unless they're seriously underrated (they have to be a relatively good character who isn't used a lot, like Diddy to be underrated). Tiers aren't directly proportional to how much the character sucks or doesn't suck by the way.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Obviously someone hasn't been paying attention to tournament results. Look up Mr. 3000, and, while you're at it, check the US Chara Rankings, based on tournament results. Sonic's B tier on that.
that list was made in the mid west, so until we get a national list on placement, that just means that there were 2-3 good sonic players out there, also, mr. 3000 is winning in one place, it took dk players winning and placing consistently in the top 8 all around the country for dk to get recognized as mid to high tier, sonic has mr. 3000 and 2 other guys placing well, out of a much larger base (usually 5 or 6 sonics per large tourney, and 2 or 3 dks, yet the dks place higher than the sonics so people infer that dk is a better character, thats twice the representation and much lower placement) it's not that sonic is necessarily bad, it's that he is not as good as the other characters based on what I've seen at tournaments

Oh and one more thing, Sonic SUCKS but we play him anyways so haters can just stop telling us that already.
i have no problem with people who admit there character is bad, even gimpyfish admits that bowser was bad in melee, however, there are plenty of people here that are saying he is definitely high to mid tier, and my comments are directed towards them

So,in other words,if the chaarcter is not use a lot or place high in a trouney,they already suck? I'm not trying to be rude,but that a load of bull**** time 10 if you ask me.But,hey I don't really care.
if a character does not place high in many tournaments and several of his players are switching to someone else, isn't that a sign that he isn't good, and therefore is bad, or in angry internet people speak, sucks

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
He's mid-tier, fo sho. He's benefited from almost every single technical discovery made insofar, and is able to punish various things. His biggest problems are low priority and a tough time killing, which, given his ability to tech-chase to hell and back, aren't necessarily HUGE concerns, though they'll keep him from being top tier anytime soon.

I'd put my money more on his tier placement being due to people not knowing how to play him than him being "atrocious", akin to Luigi and CF. Then again, Cali never did experience a good Luigi, did they? D:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Mid tier.
Lack of kills moves.
Lack of priority those are his major weaknesses.
His chasing game is easily among the best and his pressure game is pretty good.
Gimping can be a bit difficult especially with characters such as MK and Kirby but you shouldn't try to engage in direct combat with them.

I believe the main reason he has been placed in low tier or bottom tier is due to people's lack of experience using him, or fighting Sonic. Heck people thught Marth was bad when they first obtained him.
This is also supported by the fact that Sonic's matchups are overall average.
He doesn't have a great number of advantageous matchups such as Marth but doesn't have a gross amount of disadvantages like Bowser or Ganandorf. (moreso Ganandorf)

Top Bottom