• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathknight

Smash Ace
I personally feel that Melee is by far a better game. Brawl isn't a bad game, it's just aimed more towards casual players. It's not really fast paced or technical anymore but it still has good characters and soundtrack. The only real advantage I'd say Brawl has over Melee is that it at this point definitely has a more balanced character roster. I mean, let's face it a lot of the characters in Melee are just terrible and have almost no chance of winning unless there's a large difference in skill level. Still, I find Melee much more enjoyable because there's just so much more you can do and it's much more intense.

Justerbuster07

Smash Apprentice
When my friend reported to me that he had played the japanese version of brawl before it came out, he informed me about the horribly tweaked game physics, I was dissapointed to hear the news, but wasn't really suprised. I never did expect the game to deliver the happiness I always wanted, but even though I believed him, I still had to play the game and see for myself, so when I went to his house to play it, I had a little fun with it, playing with his little brothers and all, but it just didnt feel as fun as melee OR smash 64 ever did. We went back to Melee afterwards and it just felt like an adrenalin rush to be playing it, I clearly knew at this point that Melee was far superior to Brawl for sure. I had always known in my heart though that Melee wouldnt have been able to be toped, but I hadn't however expected a dissapointment as big as the horrible butchering of the games core physics. I eventually bought the game to give it some more time and as soon as I started playing it competitively is when I just started to hate it, enough to eventually quit, go back to melee, and never play it again. The game just simply wasnt fun at all when playing competitively, even when I got my *** ***** in melee it still gave me a thrill, but this game just completely failed. All my friends I play smash with can even agree melees physics are more fun, even if they do suck at the game.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
I love both. I find Melee more fun, even if I can't wavedash (never bothered trying to learn it), for some reason, but I also find Brawl quite fun as well.

I, personally, think that Melee players have their heads too far into the past; not that this is a bad thing, but Melee was just too good competitively. It's mind blowing seeing some crazy crap that some of these melee pros can pull off, in all reality, even if I've never played Melee competitively. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I'm pretty sure that this is the case.

Grunt

Smash Master
I love both. I find Melee more fun, even if I can't wavedash (never bothered trying to learn it), for some reason, but I also find Brawl quite fun as well.

I, personally, think that Melee players have their heads too far into the past; not that this is a bad thing, but Melee was just too good competitively. It's mind blowing seeing some crazy crap that some of these melee pros can pull off, in all reality, even if I've never played Melee competitively. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I'm pretty sure that this is the case.

so what about the SF2 community? still big and waaaaaay older. We aren't stuck in the past, (It's not really that old, espescially in terms of the metagame) but we realize what game is more competitively suited, and which one we enjoy more. most people who fight to the death for brawl being competetive probably sucked at melee, or never played it (That's not a bad thing), or are Pro's looking for some $$$$$$.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
It's mainly in reference to the people who say that brawl sucks absolute **** after playing it for five minutes, which half this thread is.

Not nearly as competitively suited, but it still is good for a fighter.

Reborn_Fox

Smash Apprentice
It's mainly in reference to the people who say that brawl sucks absolute **** after playing it for five minutes, which half this thread is.

Da point ur missin is most the ppl tried to pick up brawl an give it a chance... Everyone in this thread said they tried to play brawl but couldnt cope with its lack of competiveness.
Everyone honestly wanted brawl to be bettter than melee in everyway an it was except in the gameplay, pyshics department...

I own an play both and ders nothin wrong by that but i would say that Melee is a much better game. Brawl is like a bad movie sequal, and the people who never saw the first one love it and dont like the first cuz its to much to learn...

BY THE WAY... Melee players arent *******s we juz dont like the forum gettin spammed by nub little kids who try to have an opinion an flud the forums... All these joined march - april 2008... Gawd i have a lot more to say to brawl ppl but ima let it go fo now...

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
raise your hand if you think your opinions ae facts, i come here just to laugh at the remaining melee'er's, its fun how much of an ahole you guys are who bash people who like brawl
If I'm an ***hole and I'm a "melee'er" that doesn't mean all "melee'ers" are ***holes!

Meele is about mindgames and Defense far more than Brawl is. Sadly thats the only thing brawl has going for it a ******** version for the lesser capable in smash.
^Brawl in a nutshell.

Just a question: Do most people who prefer melee over brawl have siblings or someone who plays with them on a regular basis?
I do. But I have to beg/pay my brother to play with me.
We just literly played 100 matches. About 80 of them are in Final Destination. And the other 20 are Yoshi Stroy, Battlefield and Pokemon Stadium. So awesome! Never got bored not even a little. That's how fun Melee is!

I, personally, think that Melee players have their heads too far into the past
Just because it was in an older console doesn't mean it's the past.

No. Good game; Bad fighter.

N355

Smash Apprentice

I played brawl for a good three months straight until I went back to melee

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Lol @ Brawlers who didn't play Melee

Brawl is more about "mindgames and being defensive"?

Melee offered more than what Brawl could ever give up. It just goes to show you that you guys never really took the time to learn Melee and just jumped on the propaganda bandwagon.

AT LEAST PLAY BOTH GAMES BEFORE DECIDING, I'D GUARANTEE YOU 100% YOU'D LIKE MELEE BETTER

Anyway, Brawl in reality is inferior. So I knew, deep down, when it came out, that Melee was better.

Brawl is not a good fighter... Just play some Snakes or Meta Knights in tournaments. That's literally what it is w/ campy turtling playstyles.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I play both games, and I am a capable player on both games. I've won a few Melee tournaments, and I've won Brawl tournaments. Melee is still, by far, the better game all around in my opinion. It has everything that Brawl lacks, and then some.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
So true.

Right now I'm playing Brawl just to win money from noobs. When that's all done and over with, everyone will go back to Melee.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I realized Brawl was for noobs when the up-B's make you automatically grab the ledge. Seriously, no more sweetspotting attempts.

what else?
Fast fall frame made waaay later in short-hops. People able to air dodge anything you do....all in the SAME jump.
Captain Falcon nerfed soo bad.
Marth's side-b(I main Marth) made noob friendly, able to tap B without practicing and get a tempo in your head to do all 4 dancing blades.
speaking of which, Marth doesn't need his side-b recovery in the air cause people can just float back and get back on just by using their 2nd jump.
People can actually get away with spamming rolls all the time. nothin' but fsmash, miss, roll back to avoid their fsmash, fsmash, miss, roll back to avoid their fsmash.
Combo ability NOOBED.
oh, and when my friend was able to actually beat me. And when I could beat my friend who's better than me in melee. People are brought to the same level in brawl.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
People are brought to the same level in brawl.
That was the biggest reason I left Brawl. I can tolerate a LOT of things. But I absolutely can't tolerate this for one second. That IMO, is the biggest reason Brawl sucks.

otg

Smash Master
Foxfalcoandmarth
I'm so sick of this Brawl noobishness. Read the whole thread before you post, I've already stated that their are many tournament viable characters in Melee, and the tournament results of the last few bigs tournies can verify that. Many high/mid tiers are fierce competitors. You WISH Brawl had that, the discrepancy between the Top and Mid tiers is HUGE.

.tsuna

Smash Rookie
Whan I saw Sonic and Snake, I think "-thats ssb not even A "action" game-"
I hate Snake, and now...
Now is Snake good, thats horrible for me.
Air Dogde sucks now, No L-Cancel, no WD i didn't like that.
You can Record... YUHUZ
...but only 3 min. >_> lol
wah, that game is funny, but only for 2 Hours, so I think.
The best Thing in Brawl is IMO the Screenshot Funktion.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I'm so sick of this Brawl noobishness. Read the whole thread before you post, I've already stated that their are many tournament viable characters in Melee, and the tournament results of the last few bigs tournies can verify that. Many high/mid tiers are fierce competitors. You WISH Brawl had that, the discrepancy between the Top and Mid tiers is HUGE.
TR4Q. I had Melee, so I know what I'm talking about.

Amide

Smash Lord
I don't dislike Brawl, but it came to me today that Melee was better.

Brawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKeUNE-xGz4

Melee: http://youtube.com/watch?v=w7-9GBUXaQM

Brawl doesn't deny skill, but Melee is so much more exciting. Too bad I trashed it in anticipation for brawl...

At the same time, it ticks me off when people say "LOL! Brawl is technical as pressing a button. Brawl takes no skill! Lackz comboz!"

Seriously, I need to buy Melee. I never even learned to wavedash though.

killa k

Smash Ace
only thing i truly hate about brawl is tripping and its online. its fun wen u play it 4 fun but competitively...well thats just a phail

Grunt

Smash Master
Dont say anything to Zema.
He's a huge troll from a while back, and obviously still doesn't care about anything we say.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I found out it removed wavedashing. I began to lose hope. I found out they canned L-cancelling. The game was slowly tearing at my enthusiasm for it, even before it came out. I convinced myself that L-cancelling and WDing weren't THAT important. The game comes out. I play it, and it's interesting at best. I play it for a few weeks, lying to myself and telling me that I like it, but Melee is simply better. It's strange though. Every time I would go to play, I'd somewhat like it. Then, after I go home and don't play it for a few days, I absolutely dread the thought of playing it. When I go back to Melee, I just love the game. The amount of times I play Brawl are limited. I go play it and hate it more and more each time. Then I just decide to say "**** it" to the game (and a few of its supporters I know LOL) and just quit Smash. Now, I go to tournaments and smashfests, and I just bring a Melee setup with me. Some people can see the true light, and they play with me. They know the game is better. Last weekend, I was at a large two-day Brawl tournament, and I did not touch Brawl even ONE time.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
The first time I played it. Too floaty, slow, I absolutely hated it even though Mr.Game&Watch got buffed up. Besides, in melee I always had a challenge and it is the way I like it. My friend Bizz and I are both going to try to get the proper ecquipment for our GC's to go online with ssbm. Get a copy of phantasy star online, ecquipment for online=online adapter for gamecube, and so on... Its possible and people have succeeded in getting ssbm to run online. The best thing about it, theres no lag what so ever because you host the server-computer.

I tried to accept ssbb but I just can't play with the type of physics it has.

SqueakyMetal

Smash Cadet
well, IMO brawl doesnt suck. It just doesnt live up to melee. I havent been able to play brawl much for personal reasons, but i did get a good week of playing in. So I finally get to play in a couple days and I look up smash on youtube. It eventually leads to me watching waveshining and I get all excited again. Then I realize that you can't wavedash, can't l-cancel, and everyone falls the same in Brawl.

I haven't completely given up on brawl, Im just seriously considering going back to melee as a main.
The only thing I worry about is what will happen to the competition. Will the same number of pros be around?
Or will Smash become an underground, rare to meet people who play it, type of game.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
It's a hell of alot easier to fight the melee top tiers (all 4 of them) then it is to fight the two brawl top tiers (mk and snake) with lower tier characters.

Fox and Falco can get punished terribly for ****ing up and you have more options for dealing with their BS. Sheik ***** most of the low tiers but unlike snake she has a bad match up in the spacies. Falco can get beat by marth, fox goes even with him arguably. Who goes even with snake? DDD? DDD does what sheik does to low tiers. The difference is he doesn't die and there is no real shield stun to avoid getting grabbed.

I like the characters in brawl so much more, such as wario. However, melee gameplay is just so much better.

Don't give me that "more mindgames" crap. Brawl gives you less options to trick people with and less reward for doing so. Let's use a simple example.

Falco Short hops towards you in brawl.

What can he do? He can do 3 of his 5 aerials (fair and dair lag pretty bad), but still get punished unless he spaces against someone with much worse range than him because of the lack of shield stun.

He can air dodge to the ground and reset the scenario and make himself vulnerable, or get a grab in. Empty SH works here too.

He can fastfall which lags him and isn't that fast anyway.

He can Double jump, but he goes very high and falls slow like every other brawl character. He also can't punish if the opponent ****s up and in fact can be punished, but he can air dodge and avoid this punishment. It is very hard to punish air dodges. At most you can grab out of his reaction shield or hope he doesn't do anything when he lands lol.

Or the opponent can avoid the whole scenario by rolling on reaction because falco rises so high and falls so slow. Also rolls in brawl are ridiculous

Falco Short Hops towards you in melee.

He can land next to you do w/e because he falls very fast and doesn't jump that high and it's alot harder to avoid on reaction. Despite this action being risky, he can also get a reward out of it with the shine, get a grab, or sidestep and PUNISH (gasp) your lag with a combo starter or possible kill move (trying to avoid char specific stuff).

He can waveland. This is very important because he can cross you up, go back and fsmash your shield, go a short or small distance, reset his spacing, whatever he wants.

He can DJ away and fast fall back on you with an aerial if you try to grab to punish. He can also waveland on a platform if he wants to and then **** around with that because he has so many options.

He can aerial and pressure your shield. There is shield stun in this game so he can go on the offensive. However if he ****s up his timing for the l cancel or whatever he can get grabbed and chaingrabbed by most of the characters.

If your opponent tries to roll like in brawl, the rolls are not as good in this game and you can punish them by either landing in time and chasing on reaction or wavelanding towards their roll. Rolling is risky in this game and although this empty sh example is not as good an indicator of that as I would like if you play you would know that spamming rolls unlike in brawl is pretty risky.

I don't think I covered all possible scenarios but this is only one example of how many more "mindgames" there are in melee. If there are more options available universally, then you have to think more. Not only that, but thinking faster is much tougher than thinking in brawl speed.

Shifty McSly

Smash Cadet
I tried to stay positive awaiting the release date, but there was a post on the dojo that said they were making aerials easier to perform. That's right, aerials were too hard in melee. At that point I realised they were making a game for n00bs.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I've been a fan of the games for a long time, but the first time I played Brawl, I was disappointed.

It was fun, but nothing compared to Melee! :)

Geist

Smash Master
this has developed into another melee vs brawl debate?

why can't we all just accept that brawl was DESIGNED for 5-13 year old casual adolescents?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Looks like I'm a bit late, but disregard Zema. Everything he says is baseless. He knows nothing of the game, and he brings the fail to whichever thread he visits.

Me on the other hand... I'm the opposite :D

Oh - back to the point of the thread
my story goes like this

I went to my friend's house to play Brawl for the first time. It was fun testing out the new stuff even though we were playing free-for-all.
After an hour we decided to switch to Melee

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Luckily my friend KosukeKGA convinced me that Brawl is inferior.
I know it would have been impossible, but I wish someone would have done that for me. :dizzy:

I can manage to get some entertainment out of Brawl, but it's definitely not as fun or exciting... the very basic feelings you should get, and DO get from Melee, and even S64.

I saw all the many warning signs along the way during the development of Brawl, but I think it took a good couple of weeks after I bought Brawl to finally admit allowed that I was disappointed. After those two weeks I picked up Melee again, and WOW, what a breath of fresh air! So free and responsive compared to Brawl with it's [Brawl's] sticky hit stun and sticky ledge grabs.

I still play Brawl occasionally, but Melee is definitely my first choice... as sad as it still is to say. One of the greatest videogame disappointment in recent times I say, and yet I can also say Brawl is a great game... it just had a predecessor with superior play mechanics. I didn't really expect Brawl's mechanics to top Melee's, I was just hoping for them to be equal... with maybe an extra twist or two added to the mix. Definitely not the gentleman's game that Melee is. Not a thinking man's game.

(Thanks for putting up with my long winded post.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom