• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your opinion of the OG 12 OUTSIDE of Smash?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
:ultmario:
Mr Nintendo. Though I personally don't care for him at all. With that said, I do love Charles Martinet's whimsical "Wahoo" and "Yipee!" and etc.. It's pretty much the only reason why I like Mario as a character. (Though I do love the Mario games. Simple to pick up, hard to master. Super fun to speedrun casually)
:ultdk:
Most of the time I just think of DK as a big dumb ape so I don't care. However, sometimes people really show the meme side of DK that is funny. Sometimes I can find it amusing but most of the time I hate the character. I have never played any of the Donkey Kong games, would like to try though. Really love some of the music from the SNES games.
:ultlink:
I've seen the different Links many times and have slightly different opinions on them. Though overall, Link is just a blank slate character that looks kinda Doofy in the 2d games (and is kinda charming actually) and just way too angry Ocarina. Twilight Princess Link does kinda meet the two version half-way though. Skyward Sword Link is super silly and I find his shenanigans funny sometimes, but he looks really really really weird whenever a serious moment happens in Skyward Sword. One of the 3 Characters in Smash 64 that made me want to know more about Smash, and Nintendo themselves.
:ultsamus:
Samus was once one of my favorite characters in the roster just because that armor looks so awesome. I never really knew anything about Samus herself and sometimes I kinda prefer it that way because she seems more badass that way. Samus is one of the 3 characters that made me interested about smash and nintendo. Super Metroid is one of my favorite games, and I enjoyed my time with Metroid Prime 2 (Metroid Prime 1 seemed to follow in the footsteps of Super Metroid a little too much, but was generally more cheerful which turned me off to that game). I never understood why some people say they get a feeling of being alone in Metroid... Kinda hard to feel alone when you have a super powerful suit of armor by your side.
:ultyoshi:
Yoshi is really flippin' adorable and I like Dinosaurs/reptiles. Not much else to say... Though I really want to play his games. I used to consider him to be one of my secondaries in Melee though, but I never spent time with him.
:ultkirby:
I couldn't care less about Kirby. He's just kinda there, and ocassionally does cute things. Love the crap out of his games though. (though not a big fan of the Kirby games directed by Shinichi Shimomura. He tends to very hard punishes that sometimes are 1 hit kills with very little to no telegraphing, but the games are often extremely easy once you know what to look for compared to other Kirby games where you can get a good idea what the enemy is going to do even on the first time playing, but it stays harder even if you know what to do. Also Shinichi Shimomura's take on abilities is interesting. Instead of being somewhat balanced, He makes some abilities that absolutely pwn everything, while others are basically garbage and are more of a hindrance to use)
:ultfox:
I thought Fox McCloud was the most awesome character in Smash and I just wanted to play with him and his games for the longest time. I had fun in Melee.... But that all changed once I actually played on of his games. Star Fox Assault. Then I just found out he's just a stereotypical "leader" type character and I had a hard time liking him after that (though now I like Falco, Krystal, and Wolf). Fox is one of the 3 characters that made me interested in Smash and nintendo.
:ultpikachu:
Part of me dislikes pikachu just because of it's popularity.... It's mainly something left over from when I was a kid, the feeling just never went away (as a kid I hated things that were popular + cute cause I wanted to be "cool"). I just never really saw the appeal to Pikachu. However, with that said, Pokemon Yellow was the first game I owned and played all the way through. I got quite attached to Pikachu following me around everywhere being happy to just be with me. I remember being devastated finding out that he didn't want to be put into the PC, and I could never get as many hearts around him as before I put him in the PC. So I never put him in the PC again after that. Pikachu was either the first or second pokemon to be level 100 as well (Might be Kadabra or Mewtwo first)
:ultjigglypuff:
I used to absolutely hate Jigglypuff and just seeing her. But now I don't mind her, and I find her hilarious sometimes. Still find it weird she made it in smash. She didn't even feel important to the anime.
:ultfalcon:
Captain Falcon seems pretty darn boring outside of smash. He just looks angry most of the time, and I don't even know if he even says anything. I haven't played any of his games (I could probably get into it though). I always like to call Captain Falcon "the face of Smash".
:ultness:
Ness is just a kid. I just don't care at all about Ness. Earthbound does interest me though. However, I did try to play the one on the NES, but there was grinding involved and that quickly turned me off to the series (I think it was close to the time where a MMORPG I spent thousands of hours on just shut down..... Safe to say I didn't want to touch anything grindy for a long time)
:ultluigi:
Luigi is pretty bland, but he's a much better character than mario by a long shot. I love characters that can get scared, but will try to do things anyways. I never did get a chance to play Luigi's Mansion though. (Though that Luigi's Mansion minigame on Nintendoland is insanely fun!)

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
:ultfox: - One of my all-time favorite video-game characters from one of my all-time favorite video-game series. Fox McCloud is a heroic, badass pilot whose not afraid to fight on the ground. He was driven by the death of his father to lead a team of mercenaries and stop a war at only 18-years-old, and succeeded. Across the Star Fox series, Fox has always been one of the most relateable characters Nintendo has, too. He matures over the course of the series, and he has flaws that he acknowledges. I love all the games from the Star Fox series, but Star Fox: Assault is definitely my favorite. It kills me that the Star Fox series has been struggling for so long now, but with Star Fox crossing over in to StarLink, hopefully Nintendo isn't done with Star Fox just yet.
Did we just become best friends?!

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
As the Topic Creator, I declare the following: I want to be friends with anyone who loves Yoshi just as much as me!!! :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:

Okay maybe not as much as me. I'm kinda nuts for the dinosaur...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Did we just become best friends?!
:ultfox: - Bah, where do I begin. Loved every Star Fox game for what they were, though I would be the first to tell you that I'm pretty resentful over Star Fox's poor growth over the last while. Fox is my favourite Nintendo protagonist - love his backstory, his character, everything about him. He'll always be my main in every game with no questions. He stands for stoicism, leadership, and decisiveness and his character is so concrete and fairly well developed by comparison. Fox is my man, er, dog.

Glad to see I'm not the only die-hard Star Fox fan around here. Hyped for StarLink!

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
:ultmario: Mario's okay. He's my go-to character in earlier Mario games, before Waluigi existed. Most of his games are fun though he's lacking in the personality department.
:ultdk: Not too big on DK. Only games of his I've played are the original arcade Donkey Kong, Junglebeat for Gamecube and I dabbled in DKCR on Wii but didn't even get past the first world before putting it down. Beyond that...he's just a gorilla with a tie to me.
:ultlink: Kinda weird to talk about this one because there's Young Link and Toon Link in later games so if I talk about Link, I kinda have to avoid those 2 due to the nature of these threads. Link's alright. It took me a while to get into the Zelda series and I'm only a huge fan of a few entries but one of those is BotW. Design-wise, I like him more than Mario but if we look at the non-Toon versions, he's further lacking in the personality department save for in SS...
:ultsamus: Samus is ****ing kickass outside of Other M. I love Super Metroid and Prime 1. Her design is cool (especially in the gravity suit) and the fact that she doesn't flinch or cower when faced against the numerous alien lifeforms that try to kill her is amazing. Well, ya know, till Other M ruined that.
:ultyoshi: Yoshi's Island is still the best entry in the series and I bought an SNES Classic just to play the original version. Story is meh despite it being one of my first games and Woolly World is arguably the best Wii U game I played, competing only with Sm4sh and Mario 3D World for quality titles. They all have their issues though. Might change whenever I get around to playing Xenoblade Chronicles X. Yoshi himself is meh. Turkey noises are funny at the very least.
:ultkirby: Omfg Kirbyyyyyyyyyy <3 my favourite video game franchise. Started with Crystal Shards and it's still my favourite in the series to date, partially due to nostalgia. His games are fun, simple, easy for the most part until you try to 100% them and he's so damn cute. When Planet Robobot was announced, I made it my mission to beat every main Kirby game and some side titles that I hadn't yet and I did it. I'm that dedicated to the series.
:ultfox: Ugh. I love Starfox Assault and Adventures, I've yet to play the 2 SNES titles and I think 64 is overrated. I just hate how the series has been handled since its inception. Second game got cancelled, third is a reboot, fourth is a Zelda game that wasn't even supposed to be a Starfox game, fifth was legit, sixth was hampered by touchscreen controls and poor design choices and then the series died outside of a remake of 64 and Zero which I feel was made to show off the Wii U just like Zelda SS did for the Wii rather than because they actually wanted to make another Starfox game. As for Fox himself, he's alright. Foxes are cool and he has an actual personality which is rare in the OG 12.
:ultpikachu: He's a cute little bugger. Pokemon anime got me into games with Pokemon Yellow being my first video game ever. Not much nostalgia for him or his series though, mostly due to Pikachu himself being a poor Pokemon (and Raichu isn't much better) and because gen 6 and 7 made me lose interest in the series.
:ultluigi: It's cool that he grew up to be more than just a high pitched, player 2, green Mario but I don't care for him too much.
:ultness: No personality, bland design, overrated games, no future. Yeah, I don't like Ness too much. I've played but haven't beaten Earthbound since the game just doesn't keep my interest for long enough. Have watched 2 complete LPs of it though.
:ultfalcon: Outside of Smash? I've only been exposed to what my cousin has shown me in GX when he wins a race and gets to pick one of 3 lines. Not much there. GX is a cool game though, what little I've played of it anyways.
:ultjigglypuff: She exists. Wasn't too funny in the anime and is irrelevant otherwise.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
:ultmario: - Well he got me into video games. Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, and a bunch of other Mario games that were released on the SNES and N64.
:ultdk: - I never actually played the original SNES DKC games to completion. Most of my playtime in those games were from a completed save file done by my brothers. I did play DK64, but it wasn't until years later I 101% the game.
:ultlink: - Took me a while to play my first Zelda game. I was more of a Mario guy. I did play a Gamecube port of Ocarina of Time, but I never really became a fan until I played Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword.
:ultsamus: - I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
:ultyoshi: - The music in Yoshi's Island is the best. I also liked collecting all the yarn Yoshis in Yoshi's Wooly World. I got all the Yoshis from the stages, but the amiibo Yoshis are a different beast all together.
:ultkirby: - It's true. There really isn't a bad Kirby game. And I also get really excited hearing the classic Kirby song remixes in the modern Kirby games.
:ultfox: - I'm "stuck in the past" in regards to Star Fox. I don't know if I should I be proud or not, but I have played Star Fox 64 so many times as a kid, that I could recite all the dialogue from Cornelia. The entire script is memorable.
:ultpikachu: - My first Pokemon game was Platinum..... I was young, and hated Pikachu for whatever reason. It was enough for me to never play the games. I'd long grown out of that blind hate for the series, and Pikachu is just there to me.
:ultluigi: - The "Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing" videos, and the "Luigi's Death Stare" are the best. I managed to collect all the gems in Luigi's Mansion 1 in a single playthrough. Kinda curious about the 3DS remake. Even if it's just a "Gamecube port," I might look into it.
:ultness: - Did those Nintendo magazines really have a gimmicky smell in the Earthbound pages? Did they really stink or was it just AVGN overreacting to it.
:ultfalcon: - He's a racer..... that's it. Today, Captain Falcon is more a Smash fighter than he is a F-Zero racer.
:ultjigglypuff: - I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Last edited:

DreamcastBoy99

Smash Cadet
NNID
DreamcastBoy99
3DS FC
1220-8501-2461
:ultlink: - I’ve played quite a few Zelda games over the years and the only ones I’ve been able to get rather far into are the original, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and A Link Between Worlds. Whilst classic Link (green clothes with brown sleeves and strawberry blonde hair) is my favorite design for the character, my favorite voice for him is the Ocarina one bar none. Whoever’s decision it was to make him sound like Hiei, I salute you.

:ultluigi: - Luigi’s my favorite of the Mario Brothers, because green fire looks cool and he actually has character.

:ultness: - EarthBound is one of the best games I ever played....if only I could finish it. All I can say about Ness is he has a great taste in food.

:ultfox: - Fox is a pretty cool guy from what I’ve seen and after finishing Star Fox 64. He’s a charismatic leader and he’s pretty cocky and that makes him awesome.

:ultsamus: - Samus is pretty hot, you must admit. But this isn’t about her looks. It’s about her character. I imagine her being tough as nails, no-nonsense, and never one to surrender.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!

Glad to see I'm not the only die-hard Star Fox fan around here. Hyped for StarLink!
Star Link looks so hype. I'm actually just as excited for it as I am for smash. Can't wait to see Star Fox get at least some of the attention it deserves.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I like Mario. Played the old games on the NES when I was little. Be it Super Mario Bros, Wrecking Crew, Donkey Kong or Mario Bros.. I played them all and liked them. That said, after a while I switching to liking Luigi more during that time as well. After the NES era I liked playing Mario Allstars, I didn't own Mario World for a LONG time, but when I finally got to play it it was nice as well (I actually did play it at a friends' a few times). Yoshis Island was great too, but it shines more light on Yoshi so I won't really count that. Mario 64 was nice as well, although I never owned it (borrowed and played through it later, though), and while it was definitely overshadowed by Banjo and DK64 to me, it was still a great and fun game. I liked Mario games enough to get Mario Galaxy 1+2 later. The Party games and stuff were fun as well.
All that being said... Mario feels kind of dull to me. He barely has a personality and just feels bland. He's a gaming icon, a hero, has fun games and I do like Mario as I said, but nothing more than that.
DK is special to me. I liked the old DK "arcade" game back in the day (though I only played it on the NES or something iirc), but that's not when I started to really like him. When I got a SNES as a kid, I got the bundle with DKC. What an amazing game and time it was to play that - and I played it a lot.. while he wasn't present in the later DKC games he came back in DK64 and was fun. I always liked Diddy more, but my time with DKC was really big to me, so I like him a lot. I liked the DK games enough for it to be one of the few remaining franchises of which I still want to buy games.
I never played a Zelda game. I did try out a demo(?) at a shop of Oot when the N64 came out and didn't like that I can't jump when I want to (with a button), so I dismissed it pretty quickly. I accept that the Zelda franchise is quite big overall, but other than that "he's just there" for me.
I never played a Metroid game until Fusion for the GBA, and i just wanted to try that one out (I think I finished it, though). So I have no connection to that series at all except for Smash (and later Fusion I guess). So about the same as Link I guess.
Oh, boy.. this guy really was one of the few characters/games who had a big impact in my childhood. Yoshis Island was one of the games I played soooo much during the SNES days. Such great levels and design overall and it was also pretty difficult to collect everything. That being said, I did like Yoshis Story, but it wasn't quite the same. I didn't like that Yoshis were viewed as babys and all that. After Yoshis Story Yoshi pretty much died for me, sadly. I hate the weird looks they started to give all the Yoshi games, so the only real Yoshi stuff I can still enjoy is the one in Mario (and kinda Smash) games.
I did play the original Kirby game on the Gameboy. Maybe the 2nd one too with the animals. Although I don't think I ever owned the games, so I only played them by borrowing them from friends. It was decently fun! No real connection came out of it, though, and the new games look a tad childish/easy in my opinion, so I'm not interested in them at all.
I never owned a Starfox game, but I did get to play Lylat Wars on the N64 at a friends'. We had fun with the multiplayer and I think I might have borrowed it once as well to enjoy the single player. It was a pretty nice game, but nothing too special. Fox is okay, and I barely have that connection to him, but I guess it's something?
Okay, Pikachu is the mascot of one of the few franchises I can still enjoy a lot... Pokemon! While I do like the franchise a lot it doesn't mean that's the same for Pikachu. I liked it in Pokemon Yellow + Pokemon Stadium (it was SO nice to have the special animations and sounds in 'Stadium), but there's nothing more to it than that. I don't dislike Pika, but it's not too special to me.
Ah, probably my favorite character in Smash64, though he's pretty close to DK. My name came from me liking Luigi more than Mario since the NES days (and maining him in Melee), so Luigi, for me, is a similar Mario - which is why I dislike the Poltergust and Mansion games. I like Luigi how he is in all the other Mario (& spinoff) games and want him to stay like that (I also generally dislike weird items/arms/whatever that get added to characters which aren't really part of them).
He was really fun in Mario Party 1, and basically all normal Mario Jump 'n Runs where he's playable. I was happy he's playable in Mario Galaxy 1 and that his physics are different in that game.
Never seen this guy before Smash64 (except maybe in the N64 reveal trailer where they showed a lot of games in their betas?). He's okay. He's seen as manly, fun and hype by most people, and while he can be fun (especially in Melee), he's pretty overrated about being that hype in my opinion. No real connection besides Smash, obviously.
Ness was a surprise in 64 when I got him (I still remember thinking about which the unlockable char besides Mario is - Metal Mario or Luigi?! I honestly wanted both). Never seen him before. I started liking him in Brawl a little and he basically was my Low Tier main for quite a while. I started liking him because one of the guys in our Smash scene mained Lucas and I thought it was fun to play these similar guys. I guess this pushes his score just a little bit.
Ah, the great disappointment in basically every Smash game. Jigglypuff was a similar Kirby, so I always thought she was pretty unnecessary as a character. To be fair I guess I did somewhat enjoy her being in Smash64 just a little as a "Kirby clone", just so that there are similar, but different characters.
I don't dislike it as a Pokemon, but it's just a pre-evo of a pretty random Pokemon. Nothing special to me (and yes I've seen all the old anime episodes with it and thought it was annoying after a while).
Every time there is a list of cutting characters I try putting Jiggs in it, because I don't want it in Smash. There are soo many possible choices of Pokemon to add to Smash, and this one is just a waste imho. I'd only "accept" her staying if Sakurai doesn't waste time with her and just adds her because he already has the data from previous games (copy/paste). So in the case of Ultimate I don't mind her. I'm still kinda sad it took Mewtwos spot in Smash64, though... Mewtwo needed that "never get cut because of being in the original 12" status, lol.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well, he IS Mario. Even if I hated him with the intensity of a supernova, I probably would not hate him too much compared to other characters in this game. I don't really favor him a lot within the original 12, but I can still play him in my spare time. I think he should be fine going into SSBU, but time will tell for him.

Ah, good old ice cream head. Or maybe pudding. Anyway, I never played him too much, for his playstyle comes off as weird to me, although I do understand how it makes sense. He may be my least played character of the entire original 12 (yes, :ultjigglypuff: got a pass). Nevertheless, I could still give him a shot, but I might get bored.

It's Link! He is be far my favorite of the original 12 and my main (if the avatar is anything to go off of). A BOTW look will be something to get used to, but the aggressive feel he may have, reminiscent of gameplay in BOTW, will definitely cater to my interests. I want to see him become among the more nimble and strategic characters in the game (let's all face it. Would Link ever be considered sluggish in his OWN games?). Also, a glowing Master Sword is easily eye candy for me. I also think his alternate costumes are still killer (unpopular opinion, coming through).

Well, I think she looks cool. Granted, if she really got nerfed hard, I can't say how much I would try with her (things can change, though!). She does not scream aggression to me, but she could be fun to play, for I found her fun to play in SSB4 (but horrible to fight against). I think her overall inventory is very cool, and I really like her alternate costumes, so I will explore that.

Well, I don't play Yoshi a lot. In fact, I used to hate him with all my guts (it's okay Zinith Zinith , I changed, I swear!), but now I can play him and enjoy that (maybe watching aMSa did it to me). I will most likely play him more :ultdk:, but I may warm up to him more later, but I am undecided as of right now on how I really feel.

Kirby is not really a character I can say I like a lot (although the music in his games is very good), but I want to give him a chance. I most likely will never main him however, and maybe that I why I found him irrelevant to me overall. Who knows? Maybe I will find some joy playing him. But he for now is in the lower half of characters in interest for me at the moment.

Finally! I have been anxious to get here. Fox is easily my second favorite character here overall, only beaten by :ultlink:. I like his combination of speed and power, which fits the aggressive playstyle I like to go for, and he just has a cool persona in my opinion. Playing him just feels way too good to take for granted, and I mean everything I say for him here.

I do like Pikachu very much (whether it comes to memes or anything silly like that). He really is not that hard to play personally for me, and so I feel more confident when I do pick him. I have no problem calling him my 3rd favorite out of this entire bunch.

I will post the other 4 later.

Last edited:
:ultmario:-It’s Mario, man. He’s been in my life from knee high to tree high. I still play Mario games to this day. I’ll definitely have my kids play them, too.
:ultluigi:-Being the younger brother, I was always player two. Luigi resonated with me in so many ways. Living in his brothers shadow, trying to amount to success, and being brave when it counts. I also ended up taller than my older brother so...lol
:ultdk:-I definitely enjoyed Donkey Kong Country as a kid, but DK was never really someone I was super into. I loved Diddy Kong as a kid, though. If anything DK made me love RARE more than it made me love him.
:ultlink:-Holy ****! Link has been my homie since I called him Zelda. When I renter Ocarina of Time from Block Buster, I would play it all night, not knowing where the **** I was going or doing. Playing on some random dudes save file, but I loved it. Eventually my parents bought the game for me along with a strategy guide and I followed it to a tee. After completing the game, I was obsessed with the Zelda series. I still haven’t completed a Link to the past and the original Zelda, but I will eventually put of respect. My little brother still loves Zelda, even though he’s a hardened thug he’ll drop a ***** for Zelda real quick.
:ultsamus:-Super Metroid was one of the games that took me the longest to beat, and also frightened the **** out of me. It’s easily one of my favorite games of all time, and being obsessed with Mega Man back in the day made me think of her as a more kick ass Mega Man. I can’t wait for the next Metroid Prime game.
:ultfalcon:-Holy ****ing ****! When I was a kid I remember going to casinos with hotels that had a built in Super Nintendo in them. I remember playing nearly every game on the system as a kid, except for F-Zero. The futuristic design intrigued me to no end. One day I finally got to play the game for a 10 minute session, and was left wanting more.

Years later I wander into my local movie rental store and some how stumble upon a Japanese N64 game box, and it was ****ing F-Zero X! I had no idea the game existed! I begged my dad to rent it, popped it in and obsessively played it. I always picked the Blue Falcon. Captain Falcon just seemed so dope, and the game play was definitely ahead of its time. I felt like a rad guitar playing racing jet pilot from the future. I loved everything about the game. I played other cars and characters, but Captain Falcon was the man.

Then Smash comes out. Naturally, I go nuts, like any kid at the time. I see a new challenger approaching. Oh my god!!! There’s no way!!! Captain ****ing Falcon!!?! From my F-Zero!!?!? There’s just no way. I proceeded to go play break the targets and falcon kicked against the walls for hours. I had no idea that he would ever even be considered to be in the game. I will always love Captain Falcon, no matter what game he’s in.

And F-Zero GX is probably the best racing game ever made. Straight up.
:ultness:-I honestly just thought, who tf are you? Years later I ended up buying Earthbound on the virtual console and loved the game. I highly recommended playing it. I have yet to beat it, but I have a new found respect for the character and the series. Ness is just a cool kid, too.
:ultyoshi:-Mario’s Dog
:ultkirby:-Played Kirby’s Dreamland on my game boy, it was alright. But Kirby’s Avalanche tho!?!? That’s my ****. Just recently played Kirby Super Star, and now I see where Smash came from. Game is really great.
:ultfox:-Star Fox was my obsession as a kid. My mom worked for Boeing, and I was obsessed with Fighter Jets and being a pilot. Not only was Star Fox the first 3D nintendo game, it was just awesome all around. I had Star Fox posters, I played it over and over to find the optimum routes to complete the game. I found myself constantly surprised through my play through of the game. I really wanted to be Fox as a kid lol. Actually, I wanted to be Falco.

Star Fox 64 took over my life. I’ve beaten and played it far too many times to count. Another one of my favorite games of all time. Game was also responsible for me being so infatuated with Falco. He’s just an asshole I love it. He also had *******.
:ultpikachu:-Everyone and their mom watched Pokemon so pikachu was cool. He was a weak ass Pokemon in the games though so I didn’t really care that much.
:ultjigglypuff:-**** you.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:falcon64::samus64::fox64::ness64::kirby64: Who are these people
:link64: Not like oot
:dk64: Loved dkc better then Mario brothers
:mario64: Meh sonic is more fun
:luigi64: Where was he in Mario 64
:yoshi64: Yoshi loved him in super Luigi brothers for snes
:pikachu64: I wanted eevee
:jigglypuff64: No thoughts

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
:mario64:: Kinda boring, but cartoony enough to not be radioactive, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say than most modern video game protagonists (Reboot Kratos, Master Chief, Joel, the guy from Fable, MaleShep, etc). He does enough to earn the position of Nintendo's mascot, and that's really all that matters.
:link64:: It's nice to see straight women and gay guys get fanservice too, but where's Linkle, Nintendo? Don't act like you don't know who I'm talking about. LINKLE. LINK BUT FEMALE. WHEN SHE PLAYABLE, FAM? On an unrelated note, yeah Link's alright I guess. I remember liking everything in ALBW except for the baseball minigame, and I remember liking Twilight Princess enough to play through it all the way to the final boss... and Hyrule Warriors is fun when not going through adventure mode no I'm not bitter that Zelda stunlocked me out of an A rank WHAT WOULD EVER GIVE YOU THAT IMPRESSION?
:kirby64:: Cute. Genocidal. Does their taxes. There's this one girl I know who headcanons Kirby as transgender. What's not to love? Also, Epic Yarn was wonderful. Fite me.
:pikachu64:: Pikachu wins being "Best Pikachu" by virtue of all the other Pikachus being not as good as Pikachu. If you don't understand what I mean by this, then you probably don't know what a Dedenne is and therefore I envy you.
:dk64:: I played a lot of Donkey Kong Country Returns at Gamestop. Didn't particularly care for it, tbh. Glad I never bought it.
:fox64:: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... (I prefer Galaga and the KH2 gummi ship sections tbh)
:yoshi64:: Yeah, I got nothin'. Sayori likes them, at the very least.
:samus64:: Thanks to Smash introducing me to her existance, Samus has become one of my all-time favorite fictional characters. Shame that I haven't found a Metroid game that kept my interest, though. I should probably add that I'm fairly young and didn't even know Metroid was a thing until about 2012ish, where Other M had already come out, so I know for a fact that you don't have to have years of experience with Metroid to find Other M's characterization to be complete BS.
:luigi64:: It's another Mario. He's also alright, I guess.
:falcon64:: Get him another game, Nintendo. Then we'll talk.
:ness64:: I have no interest in Earthbound. On an unrelated note, I have Undertale installed on my laptop and I still haven't played it.
:jigglypuff64:: I prefer Clefairy.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I do it for Yoshi :yoshi:
Well good thing I'm here then! :4yoshi:

:mario64: - Mario is pretty wonderful. He's a fun, happy-go-lucky guy and I always have a great time playing his platforming games, and a good bunch of his spin-off games as well (even though in recent years, most of those haven't been as good sadly). What I love about Mario, is that he's pretty much just an avarage guy trying to do his thing, but then a certain princess gets herself kidnapped again and he's just such a nice guy that he can't help but go rescue her, no matter how many times it happens. ....but I cannot forgive him for all the Yoshis he's kicked down pits to save his own hide. (I literally cannot play Super Mario Maker levels that are designed around this, either, they legit make me sad.) 8.5/10
:dk64: - Donkey Kong.. I was never that big a fan of. It's probably because I'm not that big a fan of monkey types to begin with, but I just never really connected with this guy. His games are fun and I enjoy them, but DK as a character is just.. I dunno, not my thing. Doesn't help that he gets pulled ahead of Yoshi a lot either. Which is understandable, I know DK is a bigger star in the gaming universe than Yoshi is due to his history and especially with him debuting right alongside Mr. Video Game himself, but I just never really cared for him that much. But at least he has a funny face? 4/10
:kirby64: - Kirby is a wonderful character. Pink, round, adorable, and an absolute terror if you're his opponent-- at least, in his own games. How can you not love this guy? That said, I don't have too much of a personal connection with Kirby, but I still can't help but get a smile on my face each time I see him. Meanwhile, his games, while generally pretty easy, are always pretty chill to go through. Not really stressful, you just kinda... play Kirby and smile. 7.5/10
:fox64: - Fox is pretty neat. I kinda prefer animal characters over human characters to be perfectly honest, and Fox delivers on this by being a fun, space-cadet leader of another group of animals. His design is pretty great too. That said, I'm not too big on space-themes (I never really cared for stuff like Star Wars and the likes either) and dogfights (why is it called that anyway?), so with Fox, I never had too much of a connection either. 7/10
:pikachu64: - Pikachu are pretty wonderful little critters. They're mice that can shoot electricity from their cheekpouches, with super adorable looks to boot- what's not to love? Honestly, the only thing I don't like that much about Pikachu, with his status as the series' mascot... is that his evolution, Raichu, tends to get shoved aside a ton. And I always just highly preferred Raichu over Pikachu, personally, so that can get a little sad. Still, Pikachu is pretty cool too, and they seem like they'd be good company. Y'know, if you can stand being shocked every once in a while, if Ash and his Pikachu are anything to go by. 8/10
:luigi64:
- Luigi is basically right up there with Mario for me. I like him for mostly the same reasons as Mario, and really, personality-wise they don't seem to be that different from one another. Luigi isn't quite as brave as Mario, sure, but he still goes in and does his best to save the day regardless even if he's frightened. That certainly makes him respectful. 8.5/10
:falcon64: - I always liked Captain Falcon. Even before Smash Bros. I was one of those weirdos who enjoyed reading manuals a fair bit back in the day, and I remember seeing him in comic-form in those manuals, which was pretty neat. He's also one of few actually manly men in Nintendo's stall of guys, which he gets bonus points for. I don't care much for him in meme-status though. Memes in general were never my thing though. Either way I'm hoping for another F-Zero, not just because I'd love another game in this racing franchise, but also because I hope they make more story content for the series. F-Zero GX's story was cheesy, but in a good way, and I loved how they portrayed Captain Falcon in it. 8/10
:ness64: - Ah, Ness. Or as I once called him, 'that Super Smash Bros kid with the weird jumps'. Living in Europe, we've never had an official release of EarthBound back in the day, so I was absolutely unfamiliar with this guy. I liked him, but he was still the weird one out for me. Years later, when I finally got familiar with the World Wide Web, I got to learn more about Ness and that, gasp, he's not actually from Smash Brothers! I do have EarthBound at this point, both in Virtual Console and SNES Classic forms. But I never really played it.. yet. However, I have seen playthroughs of it, and it's certainly made me like Ness a lot. He just seems like that friendly next-door neighbour that you just wanna spend all summer with. Y'know.. if your name isn't Porky. Pokey? ..whatever you wanna name that jerk. 7.5/10
:jigglypuff64:
- Jigglypuff's a bit of an oddball. Like, she's a puffball with a tuft of hair that can put you to sleep by singing. That's.. good if you have sleeping issues, I guess? They were funny in the anime, and Jigg's playstyle in Smash can be fun as well, but I never cared all that much about these. I always preferred Clefairy over Jigglypuff, but they're still alright. They're cute too, which helps. 6/10
:samus64:
- Samus is pretty much the other character I didn't know anything about at the time of release of the original Super Smash Bros. I was unfamiliar with the Metroid series. I always thought she was a robot back when I first saw her in the original Smash, too- at least until I saw that electrocuted silhouette of hers. A woman?! What a surprise! But I don't think I was quite as surprised to find this out as players of the original Metroid. I kinda wish I had played that game before Smash, but oh well. As a character, she's pretty amazing though. Tough, sexy, and not afraid of doing what she has to do no matter what comes her way, you just can't help but respect this woman. 9/10
:link64:
- Link is a little bit.. weird to judge considering he has so many incarnations. But then again, thinking it through, barring the CD-i games, I pretty much like every Link just about equally. Design-wise I always preferred his Ocarina of Time look, but there's not a single design that I didn't like. And I like how Link is supposed to be, well, the link between the game and the player and that that's how he got his name as well. Later Links have certainly shown to have more of a personality of their own though which I like, though it is a little weird to still not have him talk. But then.. it would also be weird to HAVE him talk. I kinda want him to.. and kinda don't.. it's weird. But overall, I like him a lot. 8/10
:yoshi64:
- Obviously, you gotta save the absolute best for last. I love Yoshi. He's super adorable, ALWAYS looks like he's having a fun time no matter what, and is never afraid to help out those in need. And he's super loyal too. Like, if he'd be your pet, he would be the type of pet that wouldn't leave your side if you were to fall unconcious on the street. Instead, he'd even be able to personally take you to the hospital himself- how great is that? His design is wonderful as well. I absolutely love the fact that these come in every color of the rainbow and then some, and they're always acting super adorable. How can anybody bring it to themselves to hit this guy? Whenever I face him on my own in Smash Bros as a VS mode CPU, I tend to just end the match there and then because I can't stand hurting Yoshi. He deserves better! He's a GOOD boy! Don't turn your back on him- he wouldn't do that to you, either! 10/10

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
This sounds fun! What I'm gonna do is, I'm gonna focus on my opinions on them outside of Smash, and then a short one on how I feel about them in Smash to compare and contrast. I know this is strictly about opinions outside of Smash, but I've never actually gotten all my thoughts in order about characters outside of Smash vs how I feel in it and I've always wanted to, and this seems like a nice opportunity to just jot them down.

I've always enjoyed Mario games; Super Mario World was my first game ever; but I've never really cared much for the man himself. I don't dislike him, but I don't care much for him. I don't have much of an opinion on him at all.

In Smash, I actually really like Mario's moveset. I prefer playing as Dr. Mario, but I won't complain about playing as regular Mario. I love his Fair and Bair. They're ridiculous fun to use.

DK is in a similar spot to Mario for me; I really love Donkey Kong Country (and I mean I really, REALLY love Donkey Kong Country), but I've really never felt anything for DK as a character. Even though he's the star of some of my favourite platformers of all time, I've just never really thought anything about the Kong himself.

The same goes for Smash. I don't dislike playing as DK, but I really just don't mesh with his moveset. I rarely play him.

Link is one of my favourite Nintendo protagonists. I'm a lifelong superfan of the Zelda series, and Link has always been one of the more relatable and interesting of Nintendo's silent protagonists to me. Most Zelda games depict him clearly growing as a person and character, and each Link is distinct and memorable. Breath of the Wild Link in particular is one of my favourite incarnations of him because he's so expressive, with both silly and serious sides that are really well-handled. It helps that BotW is one of my favourite games of all time, too. I am upset he's no longer a lefty, though, since I'm a lefty myself! Ah well, there are always other Links.

In Smash, although I like Link's moveset, I've always found that regular Link feels too clunky for me, so I don't play him very much. I'm really looking forward to Young Link's return since he has almost the same moveset but is speedier and controls better for me, but I'll get to that in the next topic.

I love Samus and I love Metroid! To be honest, I haven't played any of the Metroid games that expand on Samus' personality and character (only Fusion, really), but she's always such fun to play as in Metroid that I grew attached. Like Link, it's a lot of fun to watch her grow as a character as she gathers more tools and powers and becomes stronger and better able to deal with the nightmarish stuff the games tend to throw at her. I really should try out the Prime trilogy.

In Smash... I wish I liked her more. I've never managed to quite get the hang of her moveset. I really like her Up-tilt and charge beam, but that's about it. I've always found her moveset fiddly and awkward. I will give her another go in Ultimate, but I'm not hopeful. :(

Forgive me, Zinith, for I have sinned. But I just... don't really care for Yoshi. I have nothing against him, but he's never stood out to me. I honestly have no opinion on Yoshi whatsoever. I'm sorry!!

The same goes for Smash. He has some neat aerials, but I've never taken well to characters with non-standard or fiddly recoveries, and Yoshi is no exception.

Kirby is just adorable! He's one of the most charming Nintendo protagonists to me, and I absolutely love Kirby games. He may not have much to speak of in personality beyond being cute and innocent, but he's just so adorable that it's okay.

In Smash, though, I've never liked playing as him much. His Bair is amazing, but that's about it for me.

I have no opinion on Fox whatsoever. I'm not a fan of his series, and his personality and design don't appeal to me.

I have no opinion on him in Smash, either. I don't play as him, and don't really want to.

Okay, so, Pikachu is a funny one for me. I have always been a huge fan of Pokemon, but until quite recently, I had never liked Pikachu. I've always thought it was shoved in our faces too much (and to be fair, it kind of is), and I got tired of seeing it. But my sister recently got into Pokemon and became a huge superfan of Pikachu, and that started rubbing off on me. I started understanding and appreciating why people like Pikachu so much, and I started to better respect the impact it's had on the Pokemon franchise. There's no way it would be anywhere near as successful as it is without Pikachu spearheading its marketing and public presence. So I ended up warming up to Pikachu over time and now I'm a fan. It helps that Gen 7 made me really start to love Electric-type Pokemon in general thanks to Tapu Koko and Togedemaru.

In Smash, I have relatively little experience playing Pikachu, but I'm planning to pick it up as a secondary in Ultimate. I have been doing a bit of practice with it in Brawl in the meantime, but I am enjoying it!

I really like Luigi as a character. He's definitely the more character-driven of the brothers, and it pays off. He's kind of wimpy, jealous of his brother's success and popularity, and lacks confidence, yet he always manages to pull through anyway. He faces up to his fears, he still loves his brother in spite of his envy, and he accomplishes what he needs to every time. His character tells an inspirational story, and I appreciate that. I'll usually play as Luigi in Mario games that feature multiple playable characters, particularly 3D World.

In Smash, though, the funny thing is I've never cared for playing as him. I don't care for Mario as a character yet enjoy playing him in Smash, yet I really like Luigi and don't care for him in Smash. Funny how that works.

I just recently replayed Earthbound for the first time in nearly a decade, and man, I LOVED it! I remembered too little about until literally a week ago to really have much of an opinion because it had been so long since I played it, but now I've become a lot more attached to Ness and his friends. Even though he was mute aside from that bit in Magicant where you can speak to his memories of himself, it was great fun taking him through his story and seeing him grow and become stronger, especially since he's just a little kid. A great character from an amazing game.

In Smash, though... I've never been able to get the hang of him. Like I mentioned with Yoshi, I struggle to get to grips with characters that have nonstandard recoveries, and Ness is arguably the most nonstandard of them all. I want to give him another go in Ultimate, though.

I have never played an F-Zero game, so I have literally no opinion on him outside of Smash.

In Smash, I still just don't care for him. I have zero attachment to him, and while his moveset is cool and flashy, it doesn't suit me.

I have never cared at all for Jigglypuff at all. I did find a shiny one randomly back in Pokemon Y, though. That was cool.

Same story in Smash. Don't care for Jiggs at all.

Whew, that took a while!

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Honestly, while he barely scrapes top 5 in my favorite Mario characters, I still love this plumber for being one of the very first series I've ever played when I was just a shy little boy who just got his GameCube. He doesn't stray from his emotions too much, but when he has those moments of character in certain spin-offs and RPGs, I appreciate him just a little more.

In Smash, his moveset is very basic, but can be addicting if you're just in a mood to combo some fools. I like playing Doc more though, and I wish he retained his 64/Melee voice direction even if it's in the right direction.

I like his home series fine enough, but otherwise, I just like the stupid expressions and memes he creates. A silly character with a silly name and a silly tie. He's funny, but not all that memorable to me, unfortunately.

I don't really play him in Smash much either. I've considered tossing him around as a casual pick of mine in Smash 4 since his moveset was becoming more fun. Maybe I'll actually use a heavy like him when Ultimate launches.

I'm a huge fan of the Zelda lore and the world of Hyrule. There's always an interesting tale to be heard and fun characters to experience. While I prefer some incarnations of Link more than others (OoT is probably my favorite), he's never been much more than a mild enjoyment for me. I like the overall series more.

I've wanted to pick up his moveset from time to time, and since it's gotten a new coat of paint in Ultimate, I may consider revisiting it here. If not, there's another option now that my boy Young Link is back.

I'm not really a fan of Metroid. I enjoyed Super Metroid well enough, but the style and aesthetic have never caught my interest. It almost doesn't feel like a Nintendo series. Samus as a character, though, I do like a lot. Tough female heroine who lives and dies alone for the most part. The lonely nature of the character and the environments was what stuck out most to me.

I don't much enjoy her moveset either, in gameplay or representation. She needs buffs, and she needs more weapon creativity like an ice beam, darn it.

I know you'll especially be happy about this, Zinith Zinith . I love my dino boy Yosh, and I have for years. I enjoy trying to expand on his character like I do with the other Mario characters. He's adorable, caring, and has some great games to boot. Woolly World was one of my favorites of the Wii U generation.

I didn't play him in Smash until I got Smash 4, but I got hooked on his playstyle and made him my secondary. I could think of a number of buffs to improve him close to top tier status, but most importantly, he needs a White Yoshi palette, pronto.

I don't play Kirby games too often, but I enjoy the ones I do. Honestly, there's more story there than you expect. Kirby's a very simple design and personality, but he's only #2 on the cuteness scale after the Waddle Dees.

I had a bit of fun with his moveset in Smash 4, and I heard he's got some buffs for Ultimate. Might pick him up as a secondary this time around. I just want to have a stage that isn't from one of Sakurai's games, please.

Ehhh, not a lot to say here. The series has hit a few lows since 64, and I never enjoyed Fox's character at all. I always preferred Falco, Wolf, a few supporting cast, and even Slippy for crying out loud. I liked his portrayal in Assault best and I wish the Smash design took more influence from that rather than Command.

Speaking of which, I also prefer using Falco and Wolf in Smash also. Fox has always required a certain quick "precision" that I haven't been able to utilize, especially not with the Melee waveshines or 4 perfect pivot tilts.

I don't care much for Pikachu as a character but he looks adorable in Ultimate. His render reminds me of his sprite in my favorite Pokemon gen, gen 3. I've played the series off and on since 3, when it has something that interests me, but if I get the new Let's Go! game, I'll probably be picking up the Eevee edition instead.

I don't usually like using "speed first, power second" characters, but I had great control with him in 4, especially while setting up an approach with Thunder Jolt. He may be one of the characters I use to go through the unlocking gauntlet.

Here's the other green boy I love! One of the few Mario characters to have character development, and it's powerful to watch his struggle to get noticed by a crowd while still respecting his brother more than himself. Dream Team is one of my favorite Mario characters simply because of how it handled Luigi's character. That was intense, man.

I'm off and on with liking his Smash moveset. It's combo-heavy, but it also requires some technique. I don't know how some of the pros can mash so quickly with his down special, but I hate it. Also, the disrespect by Nintendo to have Yoshi eat him at the end of the Ultimate trailer! My boys get saved for last, and that's how it ends?!

I could go into detail about how much I love Ness, but I'll just simplify it by saying the Mother series is an absolute masterpiece. Same goes for his moveset, which I have mained for ages and ages. I hope he gets Ninten as an Echo not just to have all the protagonists here in Smash, but also to have another way to play my favorite moveset.

I want to see a bounty hunting spin-off starring this man, Nintendo! Maybe you don't know what to do with the racing series, but you have a perfectly good profession with him that goes ignored in the games.

I have to admit, enjoying Falcon's gameplay requires that you're firing on all cylinders and can get things like the knee of justice, the stomp, and the reverse Falcon Punch. Otherwise, you have limited approach options that become more stale than a Call of Duty or Madden game.

The old anime episode that first featured her was always one of my favorites growing up. There isn't really much potential for the character nowadays since the hype for Fairy typing has come and gone, but I can't say I'm not glad that she's still here.

I do like her Smash moveset a lot too! Sure, she was trash in 4 but with airdodging becoming limited again, her aerial game is going to become dangerous again and I'm keeping her on my radar when Ultimate launches.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
This sounds fun! What I'm gonna do is, I'm gonna focus on my opinions on them outside of Smash, and then a short one on how I feel about them in Smash to compare and contrast. I know this is strictly about opinions outside of Smash, but I've never actually gotten all my thoughts in order about characters outside of Smash vs how I feel in it and I've always wanted to, and this seems like a nice opportunity to just jot them down.

I've always enjoyed Mario games; Super Mario World was my first game ever; but I've never really cared much for the man himself. I don't dislike him, but I don't care much for him. I don't have much of an opinion on him at all.

In Smash, I actually really like Mario's moveset. I prefer playing as Dr. Mario, but I won't complain about playing as regular Mario. I love his Fair and Bair. They're ridiculous fun to use.

DK is in a similar spot to Mario for me; I really love Donkey Kong Country (and I mean I really, REALLY love Donkey Kong Country), but I've really never felt anything for DK as a character. Even though he's the star of some of my favourite platformers of all time, I've just never really thought anything about the Kong himself.

The same goes for Smash. I don't dislike playing as DK, but I really just don't mesh with his moveset. I rarely play him.

Link is one of my favourite Nintendo protagonists. I'm a lifelong superfan of the Zelda series, and Link has always been one of the more relatable and interesting of Nintendo's silent protagonists to me. Most Zelda games depict him clearly growing as a person and character, and each Link is distinct and memorable. Breath of the Wild Link in particular is one of my favourite incarnations of him because he's so expressive, with both silly and serious sides that are really well-handled. It helps that BotW is one of my favourite games of all time, too. I am upset he's no longer a lefty, though, since I'm a lefty myself! Ah well, there are always other Links.

In Smash, although I like Link's moveset, I've always found that regular Link feels too clunky for me, so I don't play him very much. I'm really looking forward to Young Link's return since he has almost the same moveset but is speedier and controls better for me, but I'll get to that in the next topic.

I love Samus and I love Metroid! To be honest, I haven't played any of the Metroid games that expand on Samus' personality and character (only Fusion, really), but she's always such fun to play as in Metroid that I grew attached. Like Link, it's a lot of fun to watch her grow as a character as she gathers more tools and powers and becomes stronger and better able to deal with the nightmarish stuff the games tend to throw at her. I really should try out the Prime trilogy.

In Smash... I wish I liked her more. I've never managed to quite get the hang of her moveset. I really like her Up-tilt and charge beam, but that's about it. I've always found her moveset fiddly and awkward. I will give her another go in Ultimate, but I'm not hopeful. :(

Forgive me, Zinith, for I have sinned. But I just... don't really care for Yoshi. I have nothing against him, but he's never stood out to me. I honestly have no opinion on Yoshi whatsoever. I'm sorry!!

The same goes for Smash. He has some neat aerials, but I've never taken well to characters with non-standard or fiddly recoveries, and Yoshi is no exception.

Kirby is just adorable! He's one of the most charming Nintendo protagonists to me, and I absolutely love Kirby games. He may not have much to speak of in personality beyond being cute and innocent, but he's just so adorable that it's okay.

In Smash, though, I've never liked playing as him much. His Bair is amazing, but that's about it for me.

I have no opinion on Fox whatsoever. I'm not a fan of his series, and his personality and design don't appeal to me.

I have no opinion on him in Smash, either. I don't play as him, and don't really want to.

Okay, so, Pikachu is a funny one for me. I have always been a huge fan of Pokemon, but until quite recently, I had never liked Pikachu. I've always thought it was shoved in our faces too much (and to be fair, it kind of is), and I got tired of seeing it. But my sister recently got into Pokemon and became a huge superfan of Pikachu, and that started rubbing off on me. I started understanding and appreciating why people like Pikachu so much, and I started to better respect the impact it's had on the Pokemon franchise. There's no way it would be anywhere near as successful as it is without Pikachu spearheading its marketing and public presence. So I ended up warming up to Pikachu over time and now I'm a fan. It helps that Gen 7 made me really start to love Electric-type Pokemon in general thanks to Tapu Koko and Togedemaru.

In Smash, I have relatively little experience playing Pikachu, but I'm planning to pick it up as a secondary in Ultimate. I have been doing a bit of practice with it in Brawl in the meantime, but I am enjoying it!

I really like Luigi as a character. He's definitely the more character-driven of the brothers, and it pays off. He's kind of wimpy, jealous of his brother's success and popularity, and lacks confidence, yet he always manages to pull through anyway. He faces up to his fears, he still loves his brother in spite of his envy, and he accomplishes what he needs to every time. His character tells an inspirational story, and I appreciate that. I'll usually play as Luigi in Mario games that feature multiple playable characters, particularly 3D World.

In Smash, though, the funny thing is I've never cared for playing as him. I don't care for Mario as a character yet enjoy playing him in Smash, yet I really like Luigi and don't care for him in Smash. Funny how that works.

I just recently replayed Earthbound for the first time in nearly a decade, and man, I LOVED it! I remembered too little about until literally a week ago to really have much of an opinion because it had been so long since I played it, but now I've become a lot more attached to Ness and his friends. Even though he was mute aside from that bit in Magicant where you can speak to his memories of himself, it was great fun taking him through his story and seeing him grow and become stronger, especially since he's just a little kid. A great character from an amazing game.

In Smash, though... I've never been able to get the hang of him. Like I mentioned with Yoshi, I struggle to get to grips with characters that have nonstandard recoveries, and Ness is arguably the most nonstandard of them all. I want to give him another go in Ultimate, though.

I have never played an F-Zero game, so I have literally no opinion on him outside of Smash.

In Smash, I still just don't care for him. I have zero attachment to him, and while his moveset is cool and flashy, it doesn't suit me.

I have never cared at all for Jigglypuff at all. I did find a shiny one randomly back in Pokemon Y, though. That was cool.

Same story in Smash. Don't care for Jiggs at all.

Whew, that took a while!
I forgive you

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
:mario64:- Although I prefer his Paper Mario persona more, his regular persona is still pretty cool. What I like most about him is that he's sorta like a parkour master in his games.
:dk64:- Never played any Donkey Kong Country games since it never really appealed to me. If anything, I'd consider my opinion of him worsened due to him being memed to hell and back with the whole "expand dong" junk.
:kirby64:- I've only really played The Amazing Mirror before, and even though many people say it's the worst Kirby game out of the series, I still liked it. It seems like a fun series to play, and Kirby himself is pretty cool too.
:fox64:- The only Star Fox game I ever played was Star Fox 64 3D, and I liked it. It was fun to be able to fly a plane and shoot everything in sight. I also liked the conversations that the team had and how you could take alternate paths and achieve different endings. Out of the Star Fox team, I'd say he's my favorite.
:pikachu64:- I never really liked Pikachu as much as other people did solely due to the fact that he's the mascot of the Pokemon series. Cuteness doesn't really have an effect on me, so Pikachu doesn't really stand out to me.
:luigi64:- If I had to choose between him or Mario, I'd probably go with Mario, despite the majority preferring Luigi. I still like him as a character and enjoy Luigi's Mansion however.
:falcon64:- Never played an F-Zero game, so I don't really have much to say about his character.
:ness64:- I really liked Ness and the MOTHER series in general. I even remember looking up a WikiHow article on how to create and use PSI once.
:jigglypuff64:- Like Pikachu, cuteness doesn't really have much of an effect on me, so Jigglypuff doesn't really stand out to me either.
:yoshi64:- Before Robin, I was obsessed about Yoshi. In any game with his inclusion, I always picked him and didn't really consider in choosing any other character. I played both the original Yoshi's Island and the Yoshi's Island DS and loved them both. Haven't played Wooly World or Yoshi's New Island or even that one Yoshi Touch-and-Go game, but those two games were enough for me.
:samus64:- Metroid Fusion was my first Metroid game, and I enjoyed it a lot. I really liked how she controlled and the powerups she got further in the game. Samus had and still has a lot of badassery to her.
:link64:- I have nothing much to say on Link. The only Legend of Zelda game I got into was Minish Cap, which is more suited for Toon Link than regular Link. I liked Minish Cap though, so I can safely say that the 2D Zelda is fun. Not sure about the 3D Zelda.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultmario:: I'm fine with him.
:ultdk:: I wish he used his coconut gun and had an attack where he produced and tossed a barrel (that rolls).
:ultlink:: I wish he used the sheikah slate and/or champions' abilities
:ultsamus:: Never played a metroid game but I like her.
:ultyoshi:: Umm ok I guess. Yoshi's moveset is fine. Yarn Yoshi as an echo?
:ultkirby:: Same as Mario.
:ultfox:: For Fox they kind of feased a moveset as best as they could. I'm sure they could make a moveset for him that reflects back on his games more.
:ultpikachu:: Same as Mario/Kirby
:ultluigi:: I really wish he used the Poltergeist 2000 (or is it 3000?) in his moveset.
:ultness:: Same as Mario/Kirby/Pikachu. Ninten as an echo?
:ultfalcon:: Ugh...if you couldn't create a moveset for him, why put him in the game at all? Other than that, he's a nice meme.
:ultjigglypuff:: I hate Jigs. Joke characters are stupid. I could care less if she was removed.

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
:ultmario: 6.5/10 He's alright although I do like the games I played
:ultluigi: 8/10 I like him more than his brother and with the Mario and Luigi series I liked how he is
:ultdk: 8/10 He's really cool! I liked the games.
:ultlink: 5/10 Meh, I played a few games and I didn't get much of a connection with him
:ultsamus: 7/10 I think I only played one and was too scared to finish but despite that I think she's fine
:ultyoshi: 864/10 Upon seeing him in Super Mario World I fell in love with this fella and always felt bad whenever I had to ditch him :(
:ultkirby: 10/10 Such a simple design leading to an adorable little puffball, I love him :3
:ultpikachu: 5/10 I started out liking him but over time and seeing him more started to lessen my appeal... He's not on the top 25 of my favorite pokemon.
:ultjigglypuff: 5/10 Other than the anime I felt that it was meh
:ultfox: 7/10 He's cool, and I kinda liked Starfox Adventures and Zero
:ultfalcon: 5/10 I only played one of the F-Zero games so I didn't get much of an attachment
:ultness: 6/10 I haven't played Earthbound but I have played Earthbound Origin

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
really. Who doesn't like Mario. But who here LOVES Mario? He is kind of a blank slate to someone like Luigi.

He is fun, as are his games. But I would be lying if he is one of my favorite characters.

I loved most of the Zelda games I played. Saying that I enjoy the lore of the Zelda Universe more than the actual games. Link himself kinda lacks a proper personality, so I like the side characters mostly more than Link himself. But I do like Link

I like Samus!! Like with Zelda, I do like the Metroid lore a bit more than the actual games. I only enjoy the 2D entries and even then I only played Super and Fusion. But generally, she is kinda awesome

I think when I was younger I liked Yoshi more. Nowadays I just see him as a better item in Mario games. He is okay though.

I enjoy some of the games I played, but I don't run around and play every single one. But I really do like the character and his copy ability. I mean, look at my signature.

His games are either my great (Lylat Wars, Star Fox Adventures) or cannot keep me entertained (the others). But due to him being in games that rely on storytelling, I do like him and his personality. Although he is not a Slippy Toad!

I really like Pokemon, Pikachu is cute. Not my favorite but one of the higher ups. He has been many of my teams on multiple playthroughs

I like the Mario brother with an actual character. He is quirky and full of personality.

He is kind of a cute character and one that I like to play as in Smash. Saying that, the one time I tried to play Earthbound I didn't really like it and stopped playing a couple hours into the game. But he surely wasn't the problem. I suppose it was just the gameplay that didn't really hook me.

I love the Falcon Punch of course. Saying that, I don't like racing games in general, including F-Zero games. Thus I have no personal attachment to the character outside of Smash especially since he is part of a genre that I don't enjoy

I liked her a bit in the early seasons of Pokemon, but in the game she is one of those Pokemon that are just... there.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
:ultmario: 7.5/10 - What can you say he's Mr. Video game if it wasn't for this guy videogames probably wouldn't be around today. I like Mario he's a bit boring personality wise but it's fine. His movement in games and happy face make up for his lack of personality IMO.

Bonus: Favorite Mario game is Super Mario Galaxy

:ultdk: 9/10 - He's my favorite Nintendo hero. DKC and Super Mario World were the two very first videogames I've ever played. While Mario become bigger and more well known than DK (which does make me a tad bitter when people say DK is a Mario character. NO Mario is a DK character since Mario debuted and became a spin-off of DK's series!) I love this guy he's a goofy dumb ape but when **** hits the fan he springs into action to protect his family. He's a loavable oaf with a bad temper (kinda like me). He also has immense strength! He's basically Nintendo's version of the Incredible Hulk.

Bonus: Favorite Donkey Kong game is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

:ultluigi: 8/10 - Back in the day I always preferred Mario to Luigi but nowadays I think I prefer Luigi more. His scaredy cat personality and wanting to be loved by his big bro as well as everyone around him makes me really love this guy. He's adorable.

Bonus: Favorite game Luigi is in Luigi's Mansion
:ultpikachu: 6/10 - Not a Pokemon fan and most Pokemon don't have personalities anyway they're just designed to sell merch. In that case Pikachu does alright for itself being the face of the company and all. So he's okay I guess.

Bonus: Favorite Pokemon game is Pokemon Snap

:ultkirby: 7/10 - I think Kirby is cute but doesn't really have much of a character. Hell I think even Mario has more personality than him. That being said I didn't grow up playing Kirby games. The first Kirby game I played was Kirby's Air Ride. It wasn't until Brawl came out where I went back and played almost every Kirby game available. Became a fan of the series (though his latest Star Allies is very meh)

Bonus: Favorite Kirby game is a tie between Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Triple Deluxe

:ultfox: 8/10 - Love Fox McCloud he is a great character. Very determined leader I like that about him. While yes Falco and Slippy IMO outshine him in the personality department. Can't help but love a guy who is just trying to do what's right and in the meantime avenge the death of his father. It's a very classic trope but it works well.

Bonus: Favorite Star Fox game is Star Fox: Assault

:ultsamus: 7.5/10 - I love Samus, I love how badass she is and I love that she is one of the very first starring woman in a videogame. That being said she doesn't have much personality other than silent badass due to growing up alone in space after seeing her parents devoured in front of her eyes as a child. Yes that is a horrible thing to happen anyone and she is more than justified to have that personality but maybe show a little more personality...anyway still love her.

Bonus: Favorite Metroid game is Metroid Other M (yes I said it)

:ultlink: 5/10 - I love The Legend of Zelda but god Link is so boring and I know he's suppose to be an "avatar" of the player but god is he pretty generic character wise IMO. I like his character design and love his games but I would like it if once Nintendo gave Link some personality. The closest we have gotten is with Toon Link in Wind Waker due to his goofy facial expressions.

Bonus: Favorite Zelda game is a tie between Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild

:ultness: 3/10 - Played Earthbound when it hit the Wii U VC and I didn't get far into it found the game extremely boring tbh. From what I hear Ness's personality doesn't really develop further into the game. So basically he's meh to me.

:ultyoshi: 7/10 - Even though Mario World was the first game I ever played along with DKC (as stated above) the DKC cast of characters always left more of an impression on me than Yoshi. Yoshi was/is cool. I like him but I never choose him in Mario spin-off titles and I'm not the biggest fan of his side series of games. They just kinda bore me. I like his character design and I like that he is basically the "father" of Mario and Luigi.

Bonus: Favorite Yoshi game is Yoshi Story (yes I enjoy it more than Yoshi's Island and Wooly World)

:ultjigglypuff: 6.5/10 - See my description of Pikachu. I only give an extra .5 to Jigglypuff because I enjoy using him to troll my friends when we play Smash.

Bonus: Second favorite Pokemon game is Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure

:ultfalcon: 6/10- Love his character design and don't much of his personality outside of Smash because I never played F-Zero GX's story mode and see the CGI cutscenes outside of youtube videos (even then only watched them once and don't remember anything about them other than them being terrible) and I haven't seen the anime. That being said love the character design, voice, and how he plays in Smash. He's basically a meme at this point.

Bonus: Favorite F-Zero game is F-Zero X

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
:ultmario:- I respect Mario as an icon. I respect Mario’s influence on the gaming world. That said, while I can enjoy his games, I never found him particularly interesting. The exception for me is Super Mario World and Super Mario Sunshine. I loved those games more than any of his others by a mile.

:ultluigi:-See above.

:ultdk:- In stark contrast to Mario, DK was awesome to me. I am a man who appreciates humor a great deal. DK as a whole was orettt humorous. The sounds they made, the bulging eyes to surprise, the dances after each level completed. He wears a tie. The whole reason they are on a quest is to get their bananas back. Love DK.

:ultsamus:-My first Metroid game was Super Metroid. She was a badass bounty hunter and that’s all there is to it. I appreciate silent, mysterious protagonists who just wanna get the job done. The tools she uses just add to her spectacle.

:ultness:- I never played Mother/Earthbound. He is one of my favorite characters in Smash, so I am thankful for it.

:ultkirby:- Kirby is wholesome fun. I don’t have a lot of emotional stake as Inplayed Kirby late into my teens and never actually owned the games, but he was just cute little guy with some interested mechanics. I’d give him a 7.5.

:ultyounglink:-Link is my most favorite on this list. My first Zelda was A Link to the Past and it remains amongst my favorite games today. The darker tone of Zelda games back then really drew me in. The fact that Link never spoke and just did what he had to do also stuck with me. He was part of my development as a child. Because of him, I actually tried to do more for people without asking, just to emulate his sense of duty. He is part of the reason I feel silence is golden(at times) and part of the reason I respect anything virtuous.

:ultfalcon:- I am bored by most racing games. Never played them.

:ultfox:- Barely played. No emotional attachment.

:ultyoshi:-My only experience with Yoshi aside from smash was Super Mario World and Sunshine. I always really liked him, but his own games didn’t interest me. I just like him. Not much more than that.

:ultpikachu:- I love Pokémon. I am entirely indifferent to Pikachu. He’s been tossed in my face for 20 years or so. I get tired of seeing this one Pokémon over all the other interesting options that make the franchise what it is.

:ultjigglypuff:- Jighlypuff was hilarious in the anime and her reactions always put a smile on my face. I also used to be able to mimic the singing voice perfectly and I had a lot of laughs out of that at school.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:ultluigi: - Luigi's Mansion was probably one of my most played games when younger alongside Pikmin 1 + 2. I played it with intent to getting all Gold portraits on one save, all silver on another, and all bronze on another just to complete a gallery of all the possible ones. Luigi's "side" mission in Paper Mario Thousand Year Door (I think) where we got hints at his own adventure were also great with his... off brand members and posing as a Bride.

:ultyoshi: - Adorable. I only really played Yoshi's Story though. But adorable and a go to pick in spin off games.

:ultpikachu: - Adorable and and pretty solid mascot. While I have plenty of Pokemon I like more, Pikachu is still the face and introduction to Pokemon as a whole.

:ultmario: - One of the originals, lots of respect to all the fun games I played with him as the star.

:ultkirby: - Played various Kirby games and really do enjoy his copy abilities. I played more Kirby's Airride than probably most as my friends and I would make up games and stuff in the city mode. Like one getting the Hydra and trying to run over the others... good times.

:ultdk: - Played his 64 game quite a bit, enjoy him overall even though I haven't played his games since that one.

:ultsamus: - Only played one of her games, but she seems pretty solid. I still feel :ultzss: hurts her coolness though. She could of been hot and awesome without spandex and heels.

:ultfox: - Barely played his games, he's alright though.

:ultlink: - I got Twilight Princess... played it for like a hour. Never got into his games for some reason, but I don't blame the series or him. Just didn't happen.

:ultjigglypuff: - Should of been Meowth. But she is alright overall, Gengar is also better. Overall lots of Pokemon I like more than her, Smash makes me like her more... but that also means I probably would of easily moved past her without it.

:ultness: - Don't know him, probably never will.

:ultfalcon: - Never played it, prefer Mario Kart like racing games. Wacky is funner in racing for me.

Last edited:

An avarage Doc main

Smash Rookie
:ultmario: I'm a huge fan of the Mario games, but Mario himself isn't really a character. He doesn't have any notable personality traits other than being a food lover.
:ultdk: Never played his games.
:ultlink: Same as Mario, but even less so.
:ultsamus: I've only played a handful of Metroid games so really nothing to say here.
:ultyoshi: Same as Mario.
:ultkirby: I've played some of the Kirby games and watched the anime, but there's really nothing here.
:ultfox: I love the Star Fox games. I guess my favorite incarnation of Fox is in Assault.
:ultpikachu: I really enjoy his character in the anime, particularly some of the stuff he can pull off in battle.
:ultluigi: At least he has a definable personality. Though I do enjoy him in Super Paper Mario.
:ultfalcon: Meh.
:ultness: Never played his game.
:ultjigglypuff: I ALWAYS loved when It would show up in the anime, it was always hilarious.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Ness was always my favorite ever since I unlocked him in the first game and I’ve always been a fan of anything or anyone with psychic abilities, so it was fitting. As for the other fighters, I knew them already and they have a place in gaming history for me.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Mario games are pretty enjoyable. My first game for the Nintendo Entertainment System was Super Mario Bros. and Kid Icarus. Since this is about Mario, I'll focus on Mario. I remember playing and trying to get used to the controls. I would move my arms up whenever I tried jumping. I got better at the game and eventually finished it. I owned Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3, played Super Mario World at daycare, and had a lot of fun with the games. Super Mario Bros. 3 is still my favorite, and I plan on buying Super Mario Odyssey.

There's really not much to say about Luigi, although I received my very own GameCube and Luigi's Mansion for Christmas. That was a good Christmas. I haven't played Luigi's Mansion in a long time, but I feel like Luigi was more of my brother's character, rather than my own.

I remember attending daycare and having the chance to play Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island for the Super Nintendo. A friend of mine brought it, and I eventually bought the game. That was the last time I had seen my friend at Target. I remember saying to him, "Long time no see." I miss him and wonder where he's at and what he's up to today. Anyway, I've also played Yoshi's Story for the Nintendo 64 and had fun with that game. Yoshi was always a cute dinosaur.

Donkey Kong has some fun games. I've played all three Donkey Kong Country games, as well as Donkey Kong 64. My step-brother owned the first DKC, while my brother owned DKC2 and DKC3. Now I own them myself on the virtual console and completed them. I had a lot of fun playing these games, especially since my friend first brought them to the daycare. I own Donkey Kong Country Returns, which is a fantastic game, but still have yet to play Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

While I never owned the first The Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System, my cousin owned Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I remember watching the corny cartoon of The Legend of Zelda. "Well, excuuuse me, Princess!" I was still familiar with Link that when it was announced that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was in development, I couldn't wait for it. I remember going over to my best friend's house and we would fish at the fishing place to see who could get the biggest fish. I didn't own OoT up until later when I pre-ordered The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. But, I had own The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. That game seemed rather under-rated, but it was my favorite. Odd, now, that most people will say it's their favorite, too. Uh huh.

I was first introduced to Super Metroid from my friend from daycare. Although he knew Samus was a female, he still called her Metroid. I remember recording the Brinstar theme with my Talkboy. I wanted Super Metroid for Christmas, and I ended up receiving it. It had been pre-owned, but still, I wanted to give it a try. I finished it, but I never knew where the last item was until years later. I remember wanting another Metroid game and had hoped there would be one for the Nintendo 64. That never happened, and the closest I could get to a Metroid game was from Super Smash Bros. Of course, Metroid Prime was later announced for the GameCube, and when I first played that game and landed on Tallon IV, I didn't know where to begin. I was pretty excited. Admittedly, the game made me rage-quit when I kept losing against the Omega Pirate. I went and fought that boss the next morning and defeated him.

Once again, Kirby was introduced to me by my friend from daycare. My brother was more of a fan of Kirby than I was, so that was his original character for Super Smash Bros. We both owned the first Kirby game for the Game Boy. Whereas I got Super Metroid for Christmas, my brother got Kirby Super Star. We played through the many games and aimed for 100% completion.

I've never been a huge Star Fox fan, but I became aware of the series because of my friend from daycare. I never owned a Star Fox game except Star Fox Adventures.

:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff:
I remember Pokémon becoming very popular. My brother owned Pokémon Red and I owned Pokémon Blue. Pikachu, while cute, was never our focus. I liked Squirtle and its evolutions, whereas my brother liked Charmander and its evolutions. I've always gone for water-type starter Pokémon, while my brother went for fire-types. I would have made an exception with Rowlet in the more recent generation, though. At one point in time, my brother and I owned all the Pokémon games. We've kind of outgrown the series, though.

My brother's more of an F-Zero fan than I am, but I do have my favorites. He likes Captain Falcon. I like Blood Falcon. We became aware of the F-Zero series due to our friend from daycare. (Let's just say my friend from daycare had a lot of video games for both the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.) Captain Falcon seem pretty cool, though. He comes off more like Batman in F-Zero GX/AX than he does with his Super Smash Bros. persona.

I didn't know who Ness was. I had never heard of the Mother series. What I did know is we picked on Ness in Super Smash Bros. My brother and I always picked on someone. It was either Link, or Fox, or Ness. We eventually regretted picking on these characters and felt bad. Of course, it got to the point that my brother and I would fight anyone, whether we liked the character or not. But Ness is more of my brother's character. He picked up Ness in Super Smash Bros and drifted away from Kirby. I never had much of a care for Ness, but I've always liked his bee outfit. If I mained Ness, I would say, "Nessy 'mboy.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
:ultmario: - I'm not really a fan of the character, but I love most of his games. But I have to say, most of his old games. Mario Sunshine is the last game I really enjoyed... from Galaxy onward, they started to focus on casual gamers way too much and the games slowly lost their charm on me; I was also into the "lore" of Mario, though Nintendo tried hard to erease all sign of continuity in the series in favor of putting the same generic characters in the same generic situations over and over, but with a different "dokuso" twist each time. I must admit, I liked Super Mario 3D Land, that's my favorite post-Sunshine game.

:ultlink: - Similar to Mario, I love the old games, a bit less the new ones. I loved Zelda II on NES, it was so hard at first but I tried it multiple times until I learned how to play it, and it's a pretty cool game. My favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask, but I also like Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess has been my biggest disappointment in the series and the game that made me stop being an hardcore Zelda fan. Now I care way less about the series, and I dislike the open world approach of Breath of the Wild; I played it for hundreds of hours to get all those Korok Seeds and that's been the worst video game experience in my entire life, along with the Mii hats in Smash 4.

:ultsamus: - I like this series a lot actually. I'm not a super fan, but I'm into it enough to have played all the major games and 100%d most of them. I like the 2D games a lot, especially Super Metroid and the GBA games. I enjoyed Metroid Prime Hunters and I think it's underrated, and my favorite "Prime" game is 2 Echoes: I like that the level design is more vertical than in the first Prime game, and it reflects the 2D games better. A bit disappointed by Metroid Prime 3 and I skipped Federation Forces, but I'm interested in Metroid Prime 4. Other M was a bit weak as an entry in the franchise, but I enjoyed it, and Samus' personality didn't bother me too much, given that she grew up with chozos and all the stuff she went through since very young, I'm not surprised that she has that messed up and a bit childish personality.

:ultkirby: - I love this character. Currently, I'm concerned... his series is getting very stale, and I hope HAL will surprise us with a new gameplay formula that makes the series interesting again. I like that the games are very simple but there is a lot of depth and lore everywhere, I love that old characters come back and that all the games are connected together. Anyway, my favorite games are Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64. They are a bit different than other Kirby games, but I like that mood those game have, I like the art style better and I like the implementation of ability mixing; I like to experiment with different setups and the same level plays different each time. I would like more new games in that style in the future. Despite I like him, I liked his classic vresion more than his modern one: first of all, I liked when he didn't speak... all those "Hi!" he says nowadays got annoying occasionally. And I prefered red feet over the purple-ish feet he has in most of his recent games. Other than that, he's cool!

:ultfox: - Not a big fan but I enjoy his games. The character is cool and it's nice that it's cartoony but kinda serious. Anyway, I skipped Star Fox Zero, and I don't like the direction the series is taking. I dislike when a character gets excluded from a series for no reasons, and I think what they are doing with Krystal is unfair. I liked Star Fox Assault a lot, and I think the game is extremely underrated (especially if you compare it to Star Fox Zero).

:ultdk: - I have never been a fan of him and his games, really. Though the character can be funny at times,

:ultyoshi: - I like Yoshi and his series. Though, I prefer Kirby, Mario, Metroid etc. Yoshi's platformer have that thing that you must collect everything in every level to get the 100% and it gets boring and annoying at times.

:ultpikachu: - I'm not a fan of Pokèmon and Pikachu is, to me, just a pokèmon. I have no attachment to him.

:ultfalcon: - As a fan of the F-Zero series, I like Cpt Falcon a lot. He's a living meme and that's a plus for me. The series is all good, especially F-Zero X, GX and GP Legend (GP Legend is my favorite because it's like the classic game but with easier controls and some F-Zero X features added... I prefer it to the 3D ones because the tracks in the 3D games are too linear, but there are exceptions).
As much as I want a new F-Zero game, I fear the new Nintendo is unable to make one that's good like the older games, so I'm not expecting it.
I was introduced to the character by Smash, even though I already knew about the series.

:ultluigi: - I never liked Luigi too much and when I can choice, I usually take Toad, Mario or Yoshi. Though, after Luigi's Mansion and its sequel, I started to like the character more, and he started to gain more identity and a more distinct personality. Still not one of my favorites, but it's an enjoyable character. I liked both the original Luigi's Mansion and the 3DS one, I think that the differences in gameplay are cool, it's not that one game is better than the other, they are both good but they are different games. I like some variety.

:ultness: - Never liked the character and the series. I never played it either, though it never attracted me. I'm not a big fan of RPGs in general, excluding some rare exceptions.

:ultjigglypuff: - It's cute, but I have no attachment to this character, I don't care much.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Is there going to be a follow up thread for newcomeres in future games because this seems fun.

He's like a very old friend. Seeing him always makes me feel kind of happy. Even if it's as minor as seeing him in the corner of a cereal box in the grocery store. Mario was my first major obsession, and I've never grown out of it. A lot of people say he's a bland protagonist, but I don't see him that way. Feels like sunny disposition is waved off as not having a personality at all in a lot of cases, but I don't really like that. To me, a guy who can be that upbeat even in dire situations is someone I'd love to be around. I absolutely love this guy.

I love his games. I don't have particularly strong feelings about the character, but he's entertaining to me. Actually, it might not be my favorite in the series but I think my favorite portrayal of DK is DK64. He's really confident and kinda cocky but he still has that goofy side.

Link is a character I adore, not really for his personality or anything ( though I think Toon Link is pretty good in that regard ) but for having a great design every time and being able to come in so many different varieties, from a child, teen, adult, cartoon, and even different species. And I do kind of have a soft spot for heroes that fight really hard for the forces of good even if they don't really have a lot to gain from it, which seems to fit Link in most games. Very rarely does he do anything for peresonal reasons, and when he does, he'll usually continue being the hero after his personal desires are fulfilled... I may also have the slightest crush on the guy.

You know he used to be my favorite character of all time? He really fell out of favor with me in the N64 years. I was REALLY not a fan of his new design in Yoshi Story. I thought it was going to be a temporary thing since they were "baby" Yoshis ( even though Baby Yoshis in SMW looked nothing like that ) but no, the design stuck around and became the norm. To be fair he looks "okay" in the modern 2D artwork Still not as good as the older games but acceptable. But that doesn't matter when he's still primarily presented to us in 3D. It's not just his design I don't like either. I don't really like the voice, the weird sounds from SMW and Mario Kart 64 seemed fine to me for a strange dinosaur creature. But now it sounds like an alien... And it's mannerisms try way too hard to sell itself as "cute" when it was cute without even trying in the past.

He's kinda generic. Cool, but generic. Star Fox Adventures didn't really potray him in a good light though, he was always whining about something and being really rude to the people he was supposed to be helping. I like Fox just fine but I think his friends and enemies are much more likable characters. Even Slippy.

She's cool. Similarly to Link, she seems to help out those in need of help even if she has nothing to gain... though she's called a Bounty Hunter, she doesn't seem to really... hunt... bounties. ( Mostly because Nintendo doesn't know what a Bounty Hunter actually is.) I like to think she's very intelligent and scientifically inclined, but I only base this on the scan logs for Metroid Prime having a lot of data related to the flora and fauna beyond just how to kill it.

I feel like I have a similar opinion of him as I do Yoshi but maybe not as harsh. I still think Kirby is a great character, but they do kinda try a little too hard to make him cute with his voice and mannerisms when they didn't really need to do anything. Apart from that, I find it hilarious how scary overpowered this little creampuff is. People even seem to fear him.

Again, see Yoshi and Kirby. I miss fat Pikachu. Current Pikachu is fine but I'm not totally in love with it likeI used to be... Actually that's not entirely true. I'm a bit of a disenchanted Pokemon fan but Pikachu, much like Mario, still makes me smile. I just can't really follow it's escapades the way I used to... that being said, I make it a point to use a Pikachu for most of the game when possible in every pokemon game I play... I don't evolve it. Yeah, I know i'm a sucker.

He's okay. I think his fans hype him up a little too much while simultaneously trash talking Mario. NGL, that kind of soured me on the character a little bit. I used to like him a lot more. I think my favorite portrayal of him is in the cartoons. It's funny how it's kinda close to the Luigi we already know, but a little more outgoing and playful.

I haven't got very many strong feelings. I like his design... but his interviews in F-Zero GX are all very boring, and the acting in the story mode is just so wooden. I didn't play the GBA games though... Honestly I'd probably like him a lot more if he was anything like the fanon built around him because of Smash Bros. Just make him a cocky super sentai. F-Zero really needs a beat em up spinoff.

This pokemon is cute. One of the cutest imo. It was also one of the first pokemon I ever laid eyes on in an issue of Nintendo Power. However, I am slightly soured on the pokemon because she's synonymous with one of my least favorite things about the Pokemon anime: Running "gags" that happen far too often and are sometimes not even organically written into the episode. But that doesn't effect my opinion of her too much... I actually have a Jigglypuff that I'm trying to earn a bunch of ribbons with. Too bad there's going to be tons that I'll never get since I caught her in gen 6 and can't go back.

There's not really a lot to this character but I still somehow feel a bit of a connection with him that I can't explain. Seems like a very nice kid... And the insane power boost he gets is a huge plus. I love tank characters.

Uffe

Smash Hero
:ultmario:Mario is fine in my book. The series has a lot of great games, and I love Super Mario Bros. 3 the most because of the map layout, level selections, cool abilities, music, and cool graphics for its time. But I'm more of a Luigi fan.

:ultdk:Donkey Kong is a cool gorilla. The Donkey Kong Country trilogy back in the 90s was just the best out of every DK game I've played. I've played Donkey Kong Country Returns, and they did a pretty good job at bringing back the nostalgia. I just wish the controls were different.

:ultlink:I wasn't too much of a fan of Link up until Ocarina of Time. I had played Zelda II: The Adventure of Link at my cousin's house, but that was about it at the time. My best friend had that game, and I hadn't even had the N64 yet, but I knew I wanted Ocarina of Time. I don't like him in Smash. I'm not saying I'd want him removed. In his series, he's pretty cool.

:ultsamus:My brother owned a lot of Metroid games, and it's strange that I had not played a single one throughout the years of him owning every one he had. I picked Samus up as a secondary because my brother didn't have Sm4sh at the time and we lived far apart from each other. During those times, I downloaded Metroid: Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion. I played them in that order, too. Then when my brother lived in the area, I got to play Metroid Prime. I still haven't played the other two Prime games, but I did play Metroid II: Return of Samus, as well as the remake, Samus Returns.

:ultyoshi:I can't hate this dinosaur. I actually love dinosaurs. Yoshi is a cute dinosaur, and I actually prefer Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island over Super Mario World. Such great music, cool little mechanics with the egg tosses, interesting way of losing a life because of Baby Mario, and really funny and colorful art style for the whole game.

:ultkirby:I grew up liking Kirby from Kirby's Dream Land 2. I had gotten Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy one Christmas, and I wanted the sequel as well. Kirby's Dream Land 3 really got me into Kirby, though. Such good music, nice graphics, and cool item concepts, as well as the Animal Friends. That game is so underrated. I prefer it over Kirby Super Star, though that game is very good, too. If Ness wasn't in Smash anymore, I'd probably main Kirby again.

:ultfox:I'm not very familiar with the StarFox games. The only one I played was StarFox 64, and that was fun. The music was awesome, too.

:ultpikachu:The first time I saw a Pokemon commercial, I thought they were like Kirby, so naturally, I fell in love with Pokemon. I can't remember if my brother even liked Pokemon. I know my friend hated it, but I think I persuaded him into liking it. Pikachu is cute, but when it comes to cute Pokemon, it's got to be Cyndaquil for me. :3

:ultluigi:I played as Luigi in every Mario game that had multi-player mode. Luigi has green, blue, is the younger twin, even though slightly taller than his older twin, much like me and my twin brother in real life. I think this is why I like Luigi, aside from having to use him throughout the years. I prefer Mario in Smash, however. If Luigi didn't slide and have awkward aerial mobility, I might pick him up. Don't worry, Luigi, you'll always be my favorite of the Mario Bros.

:ultness:I used to beat up on this odd psychic boy. I had never even heard of EarthBound until after he appeared in Super Smash Bros. for the 64, and I'm grateful that of all obscure characters, he landed a spot as a playable character. If it had not been for Ness, I would have never played EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings (which at the time was called EarthBound Zero by translators). I actually don't like RPG games, and it was mainly because of grinding and random battles. EarthBound, while has some grinding, doesn't have you stay in one location very long and spend hours on end to level up our PSI kid here. And I was able to see the enemies and avoid them if I needed to. I don't care if he has no personality in the game like Lucas was given. If Sakurai decides to remake EarthBound, hopefully they'll give him some more backstory, though, that way we can see what kind of kid Ness is.
:ultfalcon:I wasn't sure who this character was when I first saw him in Smash. I had played F-Zero for the SNES, and F-Zero X for the N64, so I guess I had never bothered to see who was driving the Blue Falcon the whole time. He's one of my favorite Nintendo characters. I've played every F-Zero game that I could get my hands on, and I've always used the Blue Falcon, no matter if there were better vehicles.

:ultjigglypuff:Jigglypuff is alright. She's not really my favorite Pokemon, but she is a cute Pokemon nevertheless.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
casually revives thread

--

He’s Mr. Nintendo, but the weird thing is, I find myself liking Mario himself more than many others do. Nowhere close to the level of Ribbon Girl, but I kinda feel bad for him frequently getting upstaged by Luigi, Wario and even Waluigi in plumber discussion. Mario may not be perfect, but he’s generally good-natured, even towards Bowser in the ending of Odyssey. Had it not been for MatPat’s slander (Luigi’s ending in Power Tennis was weird tho…), a lot more people would be able to understand this side of Mario. But ah well, can’t win ‘em all.

Just like Mario, the internet kind of ruined Donkey Kong for some people with those awful ‘expand’ memes, which is a shame because I do like the guy. Donkey as a character might appear stupid, but he’s a lovable idiot, especially in the cartoon (love his singing voice). It’s good to see him get his playable role back in Super Mario Party, even if I don’t really enjoy the game as a full package (goddamnit, where’s Sonic Shuffle 2?).

Link’s the kind of character you’re meant to place yourself within. Link is the best character for the job because YOU are. As a result he usually doesn’t have a personality of his own. Though it’s subtle but you CAN detect hints of it here and there, mostly in Skyward Sword, but there’s also Toon Link as well. Though I haven't seen enough of Champ Link to judge him.

Now I DO understand what Other M was going for. It’s nice to see it attempt on expanding Samus’ character. But it does kinda go completely haywire at several points. “The baby…” But babies aside, I do like Samus, she’s a cool homie and I like what she did for female characters.

Poor Yoshi. One of the most iconic characters in Nintendo history, revolutionizing the 16-bit era and being quite cute to boot, yet 75% of the time, half of what I’ve been seeing for him as of recent is tax fraud joke after tax fraud joke and almost no respect to what he means for gaming and Nintendo’s history. Oh well. Yoshi’s always been a favorite of mine, even without my fondness for dinosaurs. I think it’s the cute squeaky voice. I shipped him with Birdo in my childhood. :p

Kirby in a lot of ways reminds me of Caitlin Cooke, but honestly with nowhere near as much as Caitlin’s charm (which isn’t much of a knock against Kirby at all considering Caitlin’s absolute amazingness). At least personality-wise. Design-wise, he is pretty great (also his Ultimate stock icon just makes me laugh for some reason), and fits his series’ atmosphere well. As for the Caitlin comparison…well, they’re pink, they’re wholesome with some questionable moments, and in many ways, both can be considered “heroic”. So since Caitlin is kind of my favorite character of all time and everything, ultimately I do LIKE Kirby. Just not “love” him, since even though he does give the Caitlin vibes, overall I prefer other Kirbo characters like Susie.

Also I don’t really find him that cute either, Ribbon Girl’s cuter :4pacman:

Really the only Starfox media I’ve had experience with is through The Great Clement’s playthrough of 64. As a whole, it just doesn’t really appeal to me, which is weird because I like my anthro animals in sci-fi environments. Oh well, they can’t all be winners.

Pikachu’s the kind of Pokemon you respect more than you like. He’s part of the reason Pokemon appeals to so many people, and he’s got a cool design to boot. Also, ESAM is one of my favorite Smash players competitively. Wish I could be anywhere near as good. However he isn’t really someone I’d go out of my way to catch (even with Raichu), especially with Let’s Go finally giving Eevee some much-needed love (and making it broken, haha XD). Still though, I’ll defend this electric rodent when people go after him. But, I did catch a shiny one once, which was awesome.

I’m one of the few people who prefers Mario to Luigi, due to the reasons I stated above. Still though, Luigi’s pretty funny and a joy to watch, especially in the RPGs. He’s at his best in Super Paper Mario, when his feelings of inferiority towards Mario are tapped into. “I AM MISTER L!”

Haven’t played EarthBound, since I’m a SNES-less scrublord. However I watched Chuggaaconroy’s playthrough of the game, and Ness, lack of personality due to ‘lol avatar’ aside, is pretty cool. Kids with magical powers? Those are my ****. The Lost Boys is one of my favorite movies, after all. He’s got a cool shirt to boot!

I know very little about F-Zero other than GX being really hard. As a Smasher, though, Falcon’s pretty cool. I mean, how can you not like the FALCON PUUUNCH? (I should watch the anime sometime…)

Being honest, I prefer her to Kirby as far as pink puffballs go. She’s a cute little kitten balloon! Plus she reminds me of cotton candy. Which is nice.

--

I dunno if I'll get to the rest at any point, but this was fun.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
:mario64: A very flexible character that can be put into nearly any genre and be successful. Not a big fan of most Mario games personally but there are some that sticks for me.
:dk64: I like his design but not a fan of DK games either
:kirby64: fond memories of my childhood. nice simple design. amazing gimmick of being able to eat and copy nearly everything. Great game series for all ages.
:fox64: fond memories of my childhood. As a kid starfox 64 was my favorite game. Sadly N64 was when the series peaked and then unnecessarily tried to change up the formula (not trying to say games after 64 were bad but... the styles of games after it, along with the gameplay, were too radically different to keep the attention of the majority that loved 64 for what it was)
:pikachu64: the mascot of the highly successful pokemon series... dont really have any strong feelings about them
:luigi64: I enjoy his personality more than Mario. a bit clumsy, a bit of a coward and always seems to be in Mario's shadow, but always pulls it together in the end to do what needs to be done.
:falcon64: not a big f-zero fan. Was always terrible at the games, but had fun playing them. Did enjoy some Falcon Punch memes where I was younger though.
:ness64: No opinion
:jigglypuff64: Not a fan
:yoshi64: While I was never a big fan of Mario games there was always one thing about them that got me happy... Yoshi! Great design and playing as Mario riding one of these guys will always put a smile on my face.
:samus64: One of the coolest Nintendo characters out there, love the lore surrounding her, amazing design, powerful, fun to play as in her own series.
:link64: The greatest Nintendo series imo (aside from smash bros). Classic design and great arsenal of weaponry. As for the character himself... most well done silent protagonist. Out of all the silent protagonists in gaming I find link to be the easiest one i could feel like inserting myself into while playing through the series.

Top Bottom