• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the difference between Side-B and Down-B? [REVERSION: 8/18/09]

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Well I guess the invisible text down the bottom of my post stands then :)

I'll look into the triple ASC. Even without the B-air, thats 25% in one move essentially, which is great for Sonic.
As soon as you stated that ASC technically isn't multi-hit, I realised what you were getting at...and I love it.

In regard to the flaw, slowed damage x3 is probly better than just the double hit anyway, but we'll see. I'll get my mate to try some DI stuff with it as well.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Ok awesome. I hope something actually comes out of this theory craft although it seems unlikely now =/ If Sonic had Wario's acceleration... Now this would almost certainly work =P

Perhaps you can hold forward all the way for the first hit, and hold it more lightly for the successive hits?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
True...unless the full tilt forward pushes you past a speed will stop the triple hit. Meh, I won't post again about it till I've tested her out.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
True...unless the full tilt forward pushes you past a speed will stop the triple hit. Meh, I won't post again about it till I've tested her out.
Hehe yea testing is the best option, but I just made another realization that coutneracts my flaw!

It can't all be about velocity....

Because even after you connect with the first hit, your momentum hasnt suddenly stopped, so then why does the second hit only connect if you continue to hold forward? If you only hold forward for the first hit, but release the forward input immediately after, there wont be a second second hit, despite the fact that the ASC is still moving with an equal or nearly equal velocity to how it was when you connected with the first hit. So it seems its more about the input than the actual velocity the ASC is moving at, unless it takes both into account.

I guess the way to truly test whether it is velocity or input would be to perform an ASC, and hold forward until right before you connect with the first hit, and see if it will still do any damage. Perhaps the strength of the input could be measured as well(holding forward lightly, holding forward all the way etc).

If this amounts to anything, Imma go eat some steak.

I always loved steak, but I've seriouslyyy grown to like it even more even since we started here haha.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Heck yes. Well I gotta go to bed. I'll catcha tomorow when we have some results :).
L8a mate.

Tenki

Smash Hero
i leik b-reversals.
i leik them 2.

yeah, I've brought them up a few times lol. It's still just a B-reversal so I don't see why we should give it a new name :/

I still use them, but not the same way I used to:
when I used to use them my usage was generally:
- run past -> B-reversal pivotgrab.
- run back -> B-reversal (towards opponent) > spindash combo.
- run towards -> B-reversal > spinshot away (lol never found a use for it- maybe run back -> b-reverse spinshot forward)

now I kinda 'evolved' my usage of it -
- run towards -> B-reversal > charge for a little bit > roll behind opponent when opponent lets down guard/ reacts
- (from close range) run back -> B-reversal (towards opponent) > footstool

running away first lets your opponent take down his guard and think about approaching you, then blaahrhguhr you're attacking again lol.

On another random note.... I was thinking about triple hit ASCs... I know it usually happens on larger heavier characters at low percentages... but I was wondering, what if there were a way to perhaps make it easier to land all 3 hits(maybe even more?) of ASC?

I came across this tiny clip, and started to wonder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJS4D-7d9tc

I mean 38% in less than 2 seconds... thats pretty darn sweet.

So this is my reasoning:
ASC isn't automzaticaly multi-hit. It only becomes so by you continuing to hold forward as you progress through the air.
The reason why ASC isn't usually more than 2 hits is because Sonic usually has already gone past his opponent by the time he gets the chance to connect a third time. That clip above is an exception.

So what if you could somehow make it so that you slow the movement of the ASC through the air?
But you may say, you can slo it down depending on how much you hold forward, but if you don't hold forward, it wont be as powerful...
Yet for ASC to hit full power, all you have to do is hold forward the INSTANT as you are about to go through your opponent.
So if you could theoretically, quickly move the control stick back and forth, to speed up and slow down the ASCs momentum for each and every hit... you might get more reliable triplehit ASCs...

Things would basically go like this:
Hold forward>first hit>quickly push back to slow ASC down, then push forward againfor the second hit>rinse and repeat.

You are basically slowing down the ASC between hits, so you don't travel past your opponent so quickly...

So yea, this is all theory craft, but I think its worth a try. It seems like youd need extremely quick fingers to get it to work at full speed, but how about someone try it out at 1/4th speed to see if its even possible at all? If it can be done at 1/4x, then someone wth quick enough fingers could do it at full speed...

A possible flaw I was thinking of however, is that ASC scends your opponents upwards, so if you are slowing it down, your opponents might get sent up too much and escape the combo anyways. Another possible flaw is that Sonic's aerial acceleration is too poor to really make a difference at such short time intervals of hitting back and forth.

Anyone wanna try? I dunno if I'm going home this weekend =/

Edit:
Big flaw, ASC's power is determined by velocity not just wether you are holding forward I believe. So yea, no clue if this will work at all. But if it makes triple hit ASCs any more common, it's worth knowing.
:laugh: reminds me of when i first messed around with it lol.

I haven't tried the forwardbackforward thing, but it's an interesting idea.

keep in mind that you slow down when you make contact with objects. SDR becomes slower after hitting something, and so does ASC, so it sort of has that effect already (that's why you have to speed up again by holding forward).

go go napi.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Heavier the character the bigger the slowdown? If so, that'd be just another reason why it's more possible on the larger characters.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Ok I am assuming that it's not known because I had a search through here and couldn't find it. And it should be here if it was known. But as far as I know I made a little discovery while messing around in training mode tonight. Nape informs me it's known, but I'll leave this here nonetheless.

IRSD or GRNST
Instant Reverse Spin Dash or Grounded Reverse Nuclear Spin Tech.

Before: Sonic runs accross FD but wants to change direction into a roll quickly as he is being chased. Either has to roll in current direction and turn, stop and SD in the right direction, or turn around in the run and SD in the right direction. All three of the options are pretty slow and don't do much in the way of options.

What IRSD does: Essentially the IRSD is a grounded B-Reversal for the Spindash. We could do it in the air before like any other B-reversal, but now it's grounded. It's input is much similar to that of a Falcon or Warlock Punch reversal except a little quicker timing is required. (And it's on a side-B, so it becomes slightly trickier as it is.)

Here's the input:

Running --> Side B --> As soon as the animation begins, jam the control stick in the opposite direction.

You have to flick that control stick alot faster than you generally have to for the Falcon or Warlock Punch, but the concept is pretty much the same. You can't let the charge slide Sonic back at all pretty much, otherwise you won't be able to pull it off.

This'll instantly change the direction of your Side B without any additional lag.

Applications:

1. It's a really quick way to change directions... or perhaps a safer way considering the invincibility frames.

2. A highly unexpected approach. Consider this, Sonic running away from an approaching character then suddenly switches directions into

a) SD(H): Invinciibility for the win. Great quick counter when you see an attack coming.

b) SDR: The roll itself could be unexpected and obviously set up for combos like it usually does. Sonic's about reading your opponent and reacting to it, so consider it another tool for reacting quickly.

c) Spin Shot:
Although it'll take a little longer to pull off the spin shot than just the reversal on its own, I've given it a few goes and you can still bring it down to a speed that is fairly unexpected and useful.

d) VSDJ: Not sure what the Sonic boards are calling it but hopefully you know what I am referring to, when you just push up out of the charge..

e) Grab: Way to turnaround grab quicker?

Anyway... the applications are just the same as the reguar SDCharge but with the option of spindashing or spinshotting in the other direction alot faster than you normally would.
Seeing as though Sonic is a character all about punishing mistakes as soon as possible (by reading your opponent), it seems logical that this would have some applications, as its a quicker way to get rolling into an attack or just using the Hop itself as the attack.

It's all just speculation at this point as I haven't used it in a match yet..not a big thing any so yeh...

Meh, it's probably known and I just nubbed myself...by atleast I learnt something new right? Also even if it is known, GRNST should be its name. Muhahahah!

Lol, I made a thread about this already, a while ago.

:093:

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Also I think the reverse should at least be mention in the charge section or somewhere...as it does add another difference between the two moves.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I also have to apologise as I won't be able to do it today or tomorrow (exams :( )
Sorry.
I want to see what happens though.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Good thing you brought this up greeny mcgreen. I actually brought this up earlier today, and Tenki I'm quite sure has mentioned this quite a few times, but you're right, it should be in this thread.

Anyways, as Pheonix Dark pointed out, I use this mostly for pivot grabs, as Its much better than Sonic's pivot grab since it stops you in place, and it gives you that instant boost. Usually when you try to pivot grab with Sonic you just run past your opponents and end up totally whiffing it, with this, not so much. And its a great surprise tactic too.

However, I never thought of the applications of this in the ways you brought up, all of which seem viable. I especially like the Idea of the reveerse spinshot. Like if your opponent is trying to chase after you, then an all of a sudden you reverse spinshot and Bair them... too good.

As for the go vertical thing, we call it VSDJ(Vertical SDJ =P)

I had also mentioned in another thread how awesome it is to Reverse Aerial Rush ASCs. Seriously, its sooo much less predictable and harder to counter than just running up to your opponent jumping, and using ASC. This would let you run past them, and then very quickly SH ASC backwards. If you can get a reverse grab off of landing the ASC(Not exactly sure how this works...), then its awesome

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On another random note.... I was thinking about triple hit ASCs... I know it usually happens on larger heavier characters at low percentages... but I was wondering, what if there were a way to perhaps make it easier to land all 3 hits(maybe even more?) of ASC?

I came across this tiny clip, and started to wonder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJS4D-7d9tc

I mean 38% in less than 2 seconds... thats pretty darn sweet.

So this is my reasoning:
ASC isn't automzaticaly multi-hit. It only becomes so by you continuing to hold forward as you progress through the air.
The reason why ASC isn't usually more than 2 hits is because Sonic usually has already gone past his opponent by the time he gets the chance to connect a third time. That clip above is an exception.

So what if you could somehow make it so that you slow the movement of the ASC through the air?
But you may say, you can slo it down depending on how much you hold forward, but if you don't hold forward, it wont be as powerful...
Yet for ASC to hit full power, all you have to do is hold forward the INSTANT as you are about to go through your opponent.
So if you could theoretically, quickly move the control stick back and forth, to speed up and slow down the ASCs momentum for each and every hit... you might get more reliable triplehit ASCs...

Things would basically go like this:
Hold forward>first hit>quickly push back to slow ASC down, then push forward againfor the second hit>rinse and repeat.

You are basically slowing down the ASC between hits, so you don't travel past your opponent so quickly...

So yea, this is all theory craft, but I think its worth a try. It seems like youd need extremely quick fingers to get it to work at full speed, but how about someone try it out at 1/4th speed to see if its even possible at all? If it can be done at 1/4x, then someone wth quick enough fingers could do it at full speed...

A possible flaw I was thinking of however, is that ASC scends your opponents upwards, so if you are slowing it down, your opponents might get sent up too much and escape the combo anyways. Another possible flaw is that Sonic's aerial acceleration is too poor to really make a difference at such short time intervals of hitting back and forth.

Anyone wanna try? I dunno if I'm going home this weekend =/

Edit:
Big flaw, ASC's power is determined by velocity not just wether you are holding forward I believe. So yea, no clue if this will work at all. But if it makes triple hit ASCs any more common, it's worth knowing.
Sweet Jesus. will look into it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Does anyone else find it hard to keep track of when Sonic's second jump has been used? I've learned to very carefully keep track but every now and then I still mess it up, use side-B to "recover", and fall down the side of the stage as a useless blue ball.

So I've started to use this for Sonic suicide mindgames. I keep my 2nd jump, side-B to get close to the edge but miss, and start to fall.... exclaim something like "Ergh, it happened again" or "Wha--? My 2nd jump!?". Your opponent will probably be at the edge, but you gotta convince them that you're dead, then at the right time jump > up-B > punish. :laugh:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Does anyone else find it hard to keep track of when Sonic's second jump has been used? I've learned to very carefully keep track but every now and then I still mess it up, use side-B to "recover", and fall down the side of the stage as a useless blue ball.

So I've started to use this for Sonic suicide mindgames. I keep my 2nd jump, side-B to get close to the edge but miss, and start to fall.... exclaim something like "Ergh, it happened again" or "Wha--? My 2nd jump!?". Your opponent will probably be at the edge, but you gotta convince them that you're dead, then at the right time jump > up-B > punish. :laugh:
Holy shit.

This is genius! Imagine the possibilities...

EDIT: Just thought of a possibility, lol. Side B gives you pretty awesome aerial control, so the whole time your opponent thinks you're failing you're really just setting yourself up for a perfect move.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master

I love it. Ingenious.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
LOL hhahah infzy that's genius.

That would be soooooo perfect for anther, seeing as he SideB SDs so much =P haha. I'm proud of anther tho, much improvement.

I'm back in my hometown. if I get the chance, ill try to test my theory out. Hope you can find something too Kojin.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Ive already said it once before, but if your opponent is semi used to you spinshotting, then do this:

Spin Shot>while in air side B (hold)

Side B stops all momentum from the Spin shot, which effectively changes the arc of the spin shot to a spin shot > drop. And if you are close enough to the floor, you can shiled cancel it in time. Try it. i command you. especailly Boxhead and Gotenki.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Question.

does this make any sense?
any edits, things to fix to make it clearer, blahblahblah, comment.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
after reading a few times u get the idea. but no new guy who doesnt understand this is going to read it. thats the problem...

Tenki

Smash Hero
after reading a few times u get the idea. but no new guy who doesnt understand this is going to read it. thats the problem...
Yeah, I know.

I'm thinking of including that picture so I can cut down on wordage overall.
So first off, does the picture, for 'phase changes' make complete sense? lol.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
reading.....
red arrows = most confusing part...better wording maybe i dunno.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I meant I'm planning to include the picture so I can cut down on words in the original post.

Some people weren't getting that spinshot and SDJ are two different moves, so I included the 'red arrow'-> spinshot to clarify it.

any suggestions? lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
i meant reading the pic. lol. :) it seems fine. is a air (roll off platform) completely necessary?
Sort of.

It completes the cycle.

The only thing not included here is the 'airdash'/iSDR/iASC (i=invincible), which is really fraeky because it's a grounded spindash lol. Oh, and double jump/shield cancels.

Phases
You may have noticed that both moves roll, and both Side-B and Down-B can jump after the roll. Well, this is because the roll is actually the same move! Both the Side B and the Down B undergo 'phase changes', where they change 'moves' depending on where they are and what their previous phase was.

NOTE: "Charging" is a phase that is pretty obvious, but will be omitted here. More information will be found in the Move Properties section.

So here's how it works
Side B: (Aerial or ground)
SD (hop) -> SDR (-> SDJ)
SD (hop) -> jump cancel (while still in air)
SD (charge) -> Spin shot
SD (charge) -> Shield

Down B:
Ground
SDR (-> SDJ)
SDR (-> SDR) (turning around initiates a new SDR with lower power)
SDR (roll off platform) -> ASC
SDR (roll off platform) -> Spin shot

Aerial
ASC (land) -> SDR (->SDJ)
ASC -> jump cancel
ASC (land) -> Shield
ASC (charge) -> Spin shot
Maybe I can put the 'double jump'/shield parts as asteriks, or as a text note after the picture, because I'm planning to replace all this text with that picture.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Too situational to make another part of the pic for. will only cause confusion.

Cancels are probably imprtant tho.
I'd say keep the text for those who learn by thru reading tho...just put the pic as a learning aid maybz?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
So I was testing out my theory today. I dunno what to make of it =/ Sometimes it seeemeedd to work, others it didnt. I only got to do a few mins of testing though. =/

Theres something we gotta figure out about inputs. I was at times able to get (((27%))) damage, from a single ASC triple hit, no followups at all. There were times I did more, but those times I was close to the ground, so the ASC could have become an SDR. But either way, Sonic doesn't seem to have anough aerial acceleration horizontally for this to really work, but i noticed something with downward inputs IDK. But theres clearly another factor affecting damage rather than just holding forward. More testing needed.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
So I was testing out my theory today. I dunno what to make of it =/ Sometimes it seeemeedd to work, others it didnt. I only got to do a few mins of testing though. =/

Theres something we gotta figure out about inputs. I was at times able to get (((27%))) damage, from a single ASC triple hit. There were times I did more, but those times I was close to the ground, so the ASC could have become an SDR. But either way, Sonic doesn't seem to have anough aerial acceleration horizontally for this to really work, but i noticed something with downward inputs IDK. But theres clearly another factor affecting damage rather than just holding forward. More testing needed.
Always happens with me. I never get in 27%+

:080:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Great picture, Tenki.

Hmmm, a few months ago, I went through all the different side-B/down-B situations (SDJ, SDR, ASC, charging states, etc. etc.), and in each I tried all the button inputs on the controller I could think of (grab, shield, c-sticks, etc.), just to see what they each did, and I wrote it all down. I'm not sure if this info would be useful or not, definitely too spammy for the front page, but it helped me get a handle on the weirdness of SD/SC. Any interested in me posting this? (I guess just as a post here)?

In a sense it's a more "complete" version of Tenki's diagram, because there are weird things like side-B, in the first few frames (before the blue aura) inputting Grab causes your shield, then during the charging Grab does a grab, then at fully charged Grab does VSDJ.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Great picture, Tenki.

Hmmm, a few months ago, I went through all the different side-B/down-B situations (SDJ, SDR, ASC, charging states, etc. etc.), and in each I tried all the button inputs on the controller I could think of (grab, shield, c-sticks, etc.), just to see what they each did, and I wrote it all down. I'm not sure if this info would be useful or not, definitely too spammy for the front page, but it helped me get a handle on the weirdness of SD/SC. Any interested in me posting this? (I guess just as a post here)?

In a sense it's a more "complete" version of Tenki's diagram, because there are weird things like side-B, in the first few frames (before the blue aura) inputting Grab causes your shield, then during the charging Grab does a grab, then at fully charged Grab does VSDJ.
That's interesting but it might be different for each controller.

Like if you do [B...]+[A] on default wiichuck for side-B, you do a spinshot.

try it with GC controls and you do a VSDJ

Top Bottom