• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's next for Nintendo?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
buildup is essential for a games success tho. not the msot important part, but still, very important

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Twilight Princess E3 04 Reaction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pB647PE-80

Now Compare this to the FFXIII Xbox360 reaction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iK2QU0VMVo

See the difference? People where already shouting at the Top of their Lungs EVEN before they saw Link on Epona. After that it was the biggest Nerd***** the world ever saw. People where still cheering even when Miyamoto was on the stage. But then at the FFXIII Conference they didn't even clap when they saw Lighting or w/e her name was.
Nintendo wants to hear us Scream. They want us to scream at the tops of Lungs. IF they make E3 public expect them to pull out a trailer for Zelda, Mario or Star Fox or Pikmin. Those games are the most likely to make Nerd*****s alot.
The funny thing about Twilight Princess is that I ended up preferring Wind Waker after all is said and done...(oh boy Nintendo fans are going to crucify me for saying this...)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
buildup is essential for a games success tho. not the msot important part, but still, very important
I know. Nintendo & Co. haven't been able to deliver.

The funny thing about Twilight Princess is that I ended up preferring Wind Waker after all is said and done...(oh boy Nintendo fans are going to crucify me for saying this...)
Why? Wind Waker was awesome. Twilight Princess wasn't. I only have to Gamecube version, but how "in your face" is the motion control a part of gameplay is the Wii?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
When that happens, they should put more effort into the final game than the hype like they've been doing all this time.
Except Nintendo don't hype up their games (at least not much if at all compared to other companies) The hype comes from within the fan's tiny, little brain. :D

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
You honestly expect me to believe that Nintendo doesn't want to be excited and look at them?

Nintendo of America is more guilty in localization of Nintendo's games than the actual Nintendo wants, but what the hey, we're stupid Americans.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
What? It's not like I lied. If what Darkslash said about the people screaming before seeing Link and Epona was true, then yes the hype for Nintendo games IS form more internal and external.

Wario Land: Shake It didn't get much coverage, but it was still hyped up by the Wario fans.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
What? It's not like I lied. If what Darkslash said about the people screaming before seeing Link and Epona was true, then yes the hype for Nintendo games IS form more internal and external.

Wario Land: Shake It didn't get much coverage, but it was still hyped up by the Wario fans.
It's the truth. Very little advertising goes into Nintendo's core games anymore, not because they don't care but because it isn't needed. I can't recall truly seeing a nationwide ad-campaign for TP, but it still sold more than 4 million copies. The advertising is better spent making the casual crowd--who doesn't browse IGN or Gamespot--aware of the offerings.

It's just good economics.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Personally, I'd see the reviving of Wario's platforming years as both a blessing and a curse(I'd rather not talk about Master of Disguise). It shows kids today that Wario is important outside of WarioWare and Mario Sports, the long-awaited revival of Captain Syrup, from what I've heard, is more 2.5D than 3D, and right now, any new Wario game is better than another WarioWare (they're fun in small doses, but I'd rahter see something different [zomg this unes on ds and this une on wii111]). Curses: Wario World on the Gamecube was rather lackluster. More Blessings than Curses is a good sign. Not to mention Galaxy proved Nintendo isn't dead yet, they still have a breath of air.

Spire

III
BRoomer

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That 2004 TP Trailer looks better than TP in every way. The huge, open fields, the vast, sunlit forests - it's all so beautiful. Why was TP so poorly designed geographically?
Good question. Despite the tons of delays, somehow they still couldn't get it down. Then again, the delays were probably only to get it on Wii...and look how much good that did us.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Man, that was some reaction for TLOZ. I have the same shirt Mr. Miyamoto was wearing!

Hopefully the stuff that Nintendo pulls out in the future will make me have a fanboy-gasm too.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
What gimmick? I don't see any gimmick...ohh you must mean the white color Scheme, yea that has to go.
hes not talking about the color scheme, hes talking about those annoying motion controls.

and when you replied my comment yesterday, you didnt really answer my statement. ya for nintendo, it must of felt so great hearing all those zelda fanboys scream. but even if there werent any fanboys there that day, they still would of shone it so that everyone else across the globe can see it. kind of like the one guy on this thread saying that just cause nobody there was screaming for the new wario game, doesnt mean that other parts of the globe werent either.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
The wii is innovation, meant to draw in new customers to possibly get them to become part of the hardcore crowd, of which games are coming out soon. Don't blame nintendo for crappy games, blame the third parties who think they'll make money off of crappy games

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm telling you, PWii could be the next big thing.
Nintendo already made us sound stupid by calling the Revolution the "Wii", so why not make us feel dumber with P-Wii?(Portable Wii)

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
The wii is innovation, meant to draw in new customers to possibly get them to become part of the hardcore crowd, of which games are coming out soon. Don't blame nintendo for crappy games, blame the third parties who think they'll make money off of crappy games
i dont know, nintendos big title are wii music and animal crossing for the rest of the year. both look and sound like complete crappy games.

Darkslash

Smash Master
hes not talking about the color scheme, hes talking about those annoying motion controls.

and when you replied my comment yesterday, you didnt really answer my statement. ya for nintendo, it must of felt so great hearing all those zelda fanboys scream. but even if there werent any fanboys there that day, they still would of shone it so that everyone else across the globe can see it. kind of like the one guy on this thread saying that just cause nobody there was screaming for the new wario game, doesnt mean that other parts of the globe werent either.
First of all: Sarcasm. Go get some.

Second of all: Do you think Nintendo would of pulled the stuff that they did at E3 '08? No Nintendo isn't dumb. Why do you think they pulled off all the Casual stuff? Because Casuals are most likely going to see it on the evening news and not hear about it at E3. If fans where there they would of shown: Disaster Day of Crisis, Wario Land, Pokemon Platinum, Super Mario RPG for the VC, talked more about Pikmin than just saying "Pikmin is coming" And show ACTUAL game play of World at war. But what did they show us? The complete opposite even through we know those games are/where/ now we know coming.

Third of All: This is slowly turning into a E3 thread so lets drop the subject and keep on topic. So my next points are going to be about NINTENDO.

Its not a Wii with out motion sensing, so no. And saying that the Wii should of kept its code name is like saying the Gamecube should of kept its code name AKA Dolphin(at least that what i think it was called)

Nintendo Handhelds should stick with Touch Screens and Consoles should stick with Motion Sensing WHICH Is not a Gimmick. Saying that is a Gimmick and SIXAXIS isn't is completely mind numbing(SIXAXIS isn't needed. The Dualshock is completely fine with out it).What really is next for Nintendo is like i said earlier is holographic Memory. Using that this gen and next gen is going to solve the Storage problem.

Plus how the heck did they manage to fit the blue lamp into the Wii? Its 3 DVD cases thick.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Its not a Wii with out motion sensing, so no. And saying that the Wii should of kept its code name is like saying the Gamecube should of kept its code name AKA Dolphin(at least that what i think it was called)

Nintendo Handhelds should stick with Touch Screens and Consoles should stick with Motion Sensing WHICH Is not a Gimmick. Saying that is a Gimmick and SIXAXIS isn't is completely mind numbing(SIXAXIS isn't needed. The Dualshock is completely fine with out it).What really is next for Nintendo is like i said earlier is holographic Memory. Using that this gen and next gen is going to solve the Storage problem.

Plus how the heck did they manage to fit the blue lamp into the Wii? Its 3 DVD cases thick.
Wait, whats not a Wii without motion controls? The gamecube? I would disagree there.

The Wii would not be able to utilize holographic drives to their fullest, as it only has an SD card slot and USB ports, and a holo drive can read enormous amounts of data in an instant, tons of gigabytes about, I doubt USB 2.0 can handle that, and it would be a very expensive technology anyway, don't expect it in this generation of systems.
Adding a holodrive to the Wii would be like trying to cook a 600 pound tuna on a frying pan, it doesn't make any sense.

The blue lamp is just a thin strip around the disk insertion slot, LEDs, they don't take up much space.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
The holographic memory system is for data storage, it really doesn't have much to do with USBs or SD cards. Having the holo mem would make those things unnecessary anyway. The holo memory will make SAVING much faster and transfer much faster. It isn't that big, plus the first ones hold 300 gigabytes of data, making SD cards almost superfluous, unless you want to take something to someone elses house. :/ Anyway, the fullest potential you could take it to is on a gaming console or computer (which is where it was designed to be anyway), where transfer of data is very important, and where you do it often. How does it not make sense? It has terrible memory now, it would only help nintendo! It IS helluva expensive though.... so yeah, probably not until the tech becomes cheaper

The wii has to have motion controls. It's only the next logical step in interactive gaming. What nintendo is doing is very smart. And what the hell is wrong with 'Wii'? it's not a stupid name at all! It exemplifies nintendo's desire to broaden their horizons! how is that stupid?!

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
doesnt matter the only good ones will be
Guitar hero 4
Star Wars Jedi Duels
thats about it

Red Exodus

Smash Master
My only problem with motion sensing [this has more to do with developers] is that devs feel that they HAVE to use it so you get a lot of games with awkward controls. I don't know how people play Brawl and MKW with the wiimote but when I try to do it it feels terrible, I wish more devs would make use of the CC instead of forcing the wiimote controls.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
My only problem with motion sensing [this has more to do with developers] is that devs feel that they HAVE to use it so you get a lot of games with awkward controls. I don't know how people play Brawl and MKW with the wiimote but when I try to do it it feels terrible, I wish more devs would make use of the CC instead of forcing the wiimote controls.
Playing with the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo doesn't seem like a dealbreaker by itself, just so long as arbitrary Waggle controls aren't thrown in. I'm a fan of GOOD motion controls, the kind that make sense. The moment they take you out of the experience for whatever reason, they're no longer good.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Playing with the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo doesn't seem like a dealbreaker by itself, just so long as arbitrary Waggle controls aren't thrown in. I'm a fan of GOOD motion controls, the kind that make sense. The moment they take you out of the experience for whatever reason, they're no longer good.
Agreed.

Shaking your wiimote to make your character jump? Gimmick.
Using it as an bow or to play baseball (which is fun)? That's fine with me.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
First of all: Sarcasm. Go get some.

Second of all: Do you think Nintendo would of pulled the stuff that they did at E3 '08? No Nintendo isn't dumb. Why do you think they pulled off all the Casual stuff? Because Casuals are most likely going to see it on the evening news and not hear about it at E3. If fans where there they would of shown: Disaster Day of Crisis, Wario Land, Pokemon Platinum, Super Mario RPG for the VC, talked more about Pikmin than just saying "Pikmin is coming" And show ACTUAL game play of World at war. But what did they show us? The complete opposite even through we know those games are/where/ now we know coming.

Third of All: This is slowly turning into a E3 thread so lets drop the subject and keep on topic. So my next points are going to be about NINTENDO.

first off, cant do sarcasm on a computer i get sick of people saying "sarcasm, get some" doesnt work. second, i mean the holographic memory thing sounds good but they should leave the motion controls out of the next system. it was fun at first, but just got annoying cause every game is just shakeing the controller up and down. either that, or make it 100% virtual. and to Ori_bro, star wars jedi duals again sounds like a good idea, but in the end, its just moving the wiimote around. or they could make a good standard controller with the motion thing if they continue it and have every game for the standard controller too.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'll be honest with you. When i compared the Twilight Princess version of the GameCube and then the Wii version, IT TOTALLY OBLITERATED Gamecube version. Pointer made the clawshot into a killing machine something that was hard in the Gamecube. Motion controls eliminated the need for the B button as a Sword Attack Button. The D Pad effectively replaces the X and Y buttons but not only that the DPad+B made the total usable items mapped onto the controller at one time was increased to 4 compared to the Game Cube's 2 mapped at the same time. Thats Double.

The shaking is a Gimmick. But with the Wiimotion+, Red Steel 2 might not suck. They have no excuse this time. They should not leave out motion sensing. And if they use WM+ with the Conduit for Grenades, i gotta strap it onto my hand then. I might throw it at the T.V

The Wii picked up where the Virtual boy failed. A true gaming console that involves the player in movement instead of button mashing.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Some games don't work well with motion controls, try tetris, but others like TLoZ work great. Wii motion controls are not very gimmicky, if you think they are just a big gimmick then how come they are able to be utilized well and with increasing precision.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I agree completely. Less shaking, more waving.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Shaking makes my arm tired... In Super Sluggers, shaking the controller to dash around the bases is sorta exhausting after a while. I wish I could just tap B like in the old days sometimes.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
first off, cant do sarcasm on a computer i get sick of people saying "sarcasm, get some" doesnt work. second, i mean the holographic memory thing sounds good but they should leave the motion controls out of the next system. it was fun at first, but just got annoying cause every game is just shakeing the controller up and down. either that, or make it 100% virtual. and to Ori_bro, star wars jedi duals again sounds like a good idea, but in the end, its just moving the wiimote around. or they could make a good standard controller with the motion thing if they continue it and have every game for the standard controller too.
"don't blame nintendo for crappy games, blame third party developers who think crappy games will make them money." also to add to this, blame the third parties who think that the only thing you can do with a wiimote is shake it up and down

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
"don't blame nintendo for crappy games, blame third party developers who think crappy games will make them money." also to add to this, blame the third parties who think that the only thing you can do with a wiimote is shake it up and down
nintendos motion control for their games are really good. look at warioware metroid prime 3and mario strikers charged. all great games with motion controls but i didnt care for motion controls for twilight princess. i agree with you, its the third parties that ruin the whole motion control thing. i mean, deca sports was a completely epic fail to wii sports. red steel sucked. theres probably more games but i dont play much third party games. but lets be honest, does wii music actually sound any good?

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
Wind Waker was awesome. Twilight Princess wasn't. I only have to Gamecube version, but how "in your face" is the motion control a part of gameplay is the Wii?
Real Zelda fans didn't get TP on the wii just because of the motion controls. They got it because it was a digital masterpiece. I personally like TP more than WW, but WW is still an excellent game.

I don't know how people play Brawl and MKW with the wiimote but when I try to do it it feels terrible, I wish more devs would make use of the CC instead of forcing the wiimote controls.
Amen, that's why I stick with the GC for brawl.

All of your replies are very thought-provoking. So, let's add a couple more questions to the list: If you ran Nintendo...

What would you change about the Wii?

When would you start advertising games? And how?

How would you handle the whole hardcore vs. casual thing?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Real Zelda fans didn't get TP on the wii just because of the motion controls. They got it because it was a digital masterpiece. I personally like TP more than WW, but WW is still an excellent game.
I got the Gamecube version because I didn't have a Wii at the time, and guess what, I still hated it on the Gamecube. There's hope for me yet! :D

Brawl, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, the stuff that passes as Nintendo's "gaming masterpieces" today, jeez.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I got the Gamecube version because I didn't have a Wii at the time, and guess what, I still hated it on the Gamecube. There's hope for me yet! :D

Brawl, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, the stuff that passes as Nintendo's "gaming masterpieces" today, jeez.
Actually all 4 of those games were really good. Maybe not as good as past games but they weren't terrible.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
It's really all a matter of pure opinion, but you're in the considerable minority on most of those. TP, MP3, and SMG are masterpieces.

What would you change about the Wii?
Now, is this question "what would we change about the total Wii?" or "what would we change that we logically could about the Wii we have?"?

I'd love to see more frequent firmware updates, channel content updates, quality VC and WiiWare offerings, a storage solution. I'd like to see them focus on making use of the peripherals they've already developed instead of making more new ones. That's what I'd logically change about the Wii we have now.

If I could universally change anything about the Wii, my big one would be 720P/1080P support and real surround sound via an HDMI port. The Wii's graphical capabilities wouldn't be such a matter of contention if it could do HD.

When would you start advertising games? And how?
At least 3 months in advance, with internet, print, and television campaigns. They don't need to be a full-fledged onslaught, but at least let the people know that the games exist.

As for how, I'd let the games speak for themselves. Scale back the visuals of stock actors playing the game, and just show me in-game footage. The game shouldn't need people playing it to tell the populous at large that it's fun, the in-game should scream fun if that's indeed what it is.

How would you handle the whole hardcore vs. casual thing?
I would make sure that there's a clear distinction between casual and hardcore titles. They really can exist peacefully on the same platform, so long as both types get the love and attention necessary for their proliferation. Nintendo needs to recognize that it can establish new franchises to appeal to that casual market (it has already done so, in fact) without dumbing-down the hardcore titles that have been the backbone of the gaming experience for so long.

Top Bottom