• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's happening to MEEEEE!!!

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
My best characters are (or at least USED to be):

1. Ness
2. Lucas
3. Olimar
4. Kirby
5. Sonic

There was even a time when Ness and Lucas were equally awesome. But recently all of my characters have started to really REALLY suck, except Ness and Olimar, even Lucas who was once Ness' equal. Lucas gets owned, Sonic gets owned, Kirby gets SUPER owned. I used to be better than this, what's happening!!? :(

Unfortunately I don't have a good video of how I play with my characters, but I can tell you that with all my characters (especially Olimar) I try to grab as much as I can. And the grabbing is failing for Lucas, Kirby, and Sonic. While it works wonders for Ness and Olimar. I used to be good at grabbing with all of them, not anymore.

I DO have this video of my older Kirby vs 3 Ganondorfs, it's a pretty funny battle, but please try and look at my Kirby and rate it. (Yes, I know I camp and roll a lot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1cS6XznNZg

Edit: I just found out something about my Lucas. I rely heavily on his up smash, down smash, and PK Fire. But the people I've been fighting never fall for that stuff, and could sometimes reflect or gain from my PK Fire. But just now I fought someone who got hit by my up smash and down smash often and I won. So maybe that's the problem.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I can't tell you what's happening to you without a before/after video comparing two of the same characters. I can tell you that I occationally go through phases where I need to get away from a character if I wish to play him well. In some cases, I'd advise staying away from Smash entirely for a week or so, you might just be smashed out.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
yea u need to take a brake it happens to me too sometimes, now I can feel it coming and I take like 2 day breaks. IDK how it will feel to u but it makes me feel angry when I die even if I'm winning normaly idc I just play for fun competition.

So yea u have 2 choices kinda
1. Take a break how ever long is needed(but not taking a long enough one will make ur down time return again faster.)
or
2. Play a character u didnt list and learn to play them.

Hope this helps oh I call this little thingy happening ur "down time" when u've practiced or played too much u cant really focus.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Know when you can grab landing lag. And mindgame them. If you're running up to them and grabbing just for them to spotdodge, then hold shield for half a second, THEN grab.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
lol, the same thing happened to my friend. We all go throught this stage as players, you get good but you also become very aggressive and then get hit by everything for a while. After some time you'll start learning how to avoid stuff while still being agressive and then, presto, you'll be even better than you were before.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's a phase, just as The Halloween Captain said. (Well, he didn't necessarily say that, but it was implied.) I recall have the time where I had lost quite a number of matches against my friend, and I had only won twice. It was really horrible for me. I wanted to quit the game, but I didn't give up. I think you just need to go back to the basic stuff and go on from there.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
I'm not exactly how to word this, so bear with me. Maybe your playstyle revolves around one or two things to win, for example. Maybe with Sonic, when you're speed gets shut down, then your whole game falls apart. You haven't focused on any of the other aspects of what makes Sonic good (I don't use him, so I don't know). Maybe with Lucas, you rely too heavily on his specials. So when those aren't doing anything, you haven't played him any other way, so there's nothing else you can do.

It could also just be that your playstyle doesn't suit using those characters. So while you got better with Olimar and Ness because they do suit you, you got worse with Sonic/Kirby/Lucas because they don't. In the case of Ness and Lucas, they might have seemed to play similar when brawl was new(look at Ryu and Ken, to a scrub they'd look like the same characters with some graphical differences. But anyone slightly educated about SF knows better.), they play quite different. Eventually that caught up, and that's why now your Ness>Lucas.

Anyways, who's this against? Friends? Maybe they've just, plain and simply, figured you out. Like dryn said, go back to the basics if you're that worried about salvaging those three. Imo, you're better off not trying to use five characters equally, but rather get better with just Olimar and Ness. Even try out a new character that's not on your list.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Heh. Me and my friend, we play three times weekly and ****. Sometimes we seem pathetic. We go through phases. Sometimes, one of us ends up destroying the other, other times, the other, other times, we both just become awesome, other times, as stated pathetic. Any training is still training, just don't overdo it. I always have my weekends, but when we ever fight anyone else, we notice a huge difference. Regardless of what phase we're in.

You can take a break, not play,try another character, whatever works for you. The only time it'll ever matter is during a tourney, which you generally seem to do better anyways.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This is why people have secondaries, or at least one of the reasons.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I hope you are not frustrated in combat. Usually when I start loosing it's because I make basic mistakes and I don't bother looking or analyzing my opponent so I end up growing more frustrated when my opponent plays really defensively and counters me. Always play with a clear state of mind to adapt to your situation and counter them

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Itz cuz your playing Brawl withanyone tht is not ZSS !!!!!111eleven

8D
chyah!!! Zamus rules!
Practice makes Perfect.
No, practice only makes you better.
Perfect practice makes perfect.
Plz take the time to actually read this. There are key points in this. What I mean by the aforementioned remark (hah, now I sound smart) is don't fight cpu's at lv 4 or higher unless you normally can't beat a lv 9. You need to learn to space out Lucas's throw grapple, and time it. I personally don't like Lucas's snake grapple thingy because more times often than not I miss, and I'm severly punished for it *insert Samus' charged beam*. Time it out. Battle cpu's at lv 1 to 3. Just try to time it out. Practice on these lv 1 to 3 cpu and practice your entire technique while your at it.

I just went through one of those "phases" and I learned that one of the reasons for those phases is cuz you play against too many cpu: they're stupid, predictable, and not human. They don't do the weird stuff you'd see us do. They weigh us down; don't make it an absolute always of playing them. Thx for taking your time to read. :)

Crow!

Smash Lord
Perhaps your style has changed to something your previous characters just don't support. Try playing as random characters and see if any of them feel better. Even if you lose because you're not familiar with that character yet, if things feel right, try that character more.

Perhaps the people you play with have gotten better faster than you have, or have figured out the best way to beat you in particular. If so, playing with them is probably the best thing you can do - watch what they're doing and find the best way to defeat it. Also, if they use some tricks that you don't, try adding those tricks to your repitoire.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
If you like using grabs it's not surprising that you would feel a bit lacking with Sonic, Lucas etc. Grabbing is a bit more difficult to use effectively for them. Sonic's run-grab is pretty useful but you have to actively think about it to pull it off lol.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
I just found out something about my Lucas. I rely heavily on his up smash, down smash, and PK Fire. But the people I've been fighting never fall for that stuff, and could sometimes reflect or gain from my PK Fire. But just now I fought someone who got hit by my up smash and down smash often and I won. So maybe that's the problem.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
im trying to anaylyze why you suck. its definitely not ur roster because you have sonic on it.

main olimar. dont get gimped

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Qi_KR8eCc

Watched it? Cheer up Champ! You can do it!

Take this Rocky quote to heart!
MICKEY "You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!"

ECarminan

Smash Rookie
Lol, I used to main Marth in SSBB, but now I'm sucking with him, and now I'm trying to main Fox.

I think I was exhausting myself when it came to mains. You just need a little break so you don't end up like me O.o.

Play something else in the meantime, like VC (That's different than something simuliar to smash) for example.

Scala

Smash Ace
The only answer here is that you need to practice more... Sounds like you're trying to only hit with your characters most powerful attacks (which are usually the slowest) and you're just getting punished. Use tilts more and do some research about why you are playing badly. Learn matchups, get better.

I thought this thread said whats happening to Melee, must have read it upside down.
QFT.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
What IS happening to Melee anyway?

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
Or maybe you're weedling out all your secondaries, and developing only key mains.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Seriously, TC, you need more help then just general advice. All you did was inhale and warlock punch that whole match. I was surprised you could even recover and even then you used warlock punch.

Top Bottom