• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
I HATE IT! I saw Goroh on my Live Bookmark and I was like "FINALLY!" I open it, and he's a fricken NPC. Just great. -.-""""""""'

Sakurai Spelled Goroh wrong.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
It seems that, as people are theorizing, there will be no clones in Brawl. Sakurai must be really tightening the list if Samurai Goroh did not make it. Samurai Goroh may not be one of the top contenders, but he is requested a good deal of the time. And he was in the introduction of Melee as C.F's rival. So I think he was suggested as character (and his model is pretty intricate for a one shot item summon). But either his moveset was too stale or other characters had more potential, so he was sent to the AT pile.

Now here is an interesting theory.

LUIGI MIGHT BE AN ASSISTANT TROPHY!

Why?

Well for one Sakurai mentioned (perhaps as a joke) Luigi possibly returning. I forget what site or what interview, but I am sure someone can hunt it down. It is real and not a rumor.

So here is the (hypothetical) process. Sakurai is at the middle of the development process. Different teams came up with potential movelists on paper and rough computer models for many characters. Sakurai wants a creative, fun cast. So he has to pick the best characters from an entertainment perspective. Wario is in. He is not only wildly requested but has moves that offer something new (a vehicle move and a move that grows in strength based only on time). Metaknight, Pit, Zamus, and Snake each offer something. Metaknight perhaps taking Jiggs role as the aerial puff (I think she might be thrown in a pokeball this time around), Zamus perhaps taking Sheik's role, Pit being a dual weilder (with maybe an oppurtunity of having two A movesets), and Snake being a third party member who uses stealth and explosions to sway the battle in his favor.

But Luigi? He doesn't really offer that much. Right now he is just floating between Mario's coolness and Wario's wackiness. He can be given the vacuum, but a wind moveset based on suction and expulsion might best be given to King DeDeDe who has never been a Smash game before. So I think Luigi will be an AT.

That is my prediction. And I think Jiggs will be sent to the pokeball.
Well stated and formated opinion, as usual, Bowerslick. I can see where you are coming from on this situation. On that same note, Sakurai did say all the original Smash Bros. characters would be returning... but we all assumed that meant as playable characters. That ballpark has been turned around now. While I, personally, don't think Jigglypuff will return as a Pokeball or Assisst Trophy, we'll see. I doubt it, but we'll see.

As for Luigi, this is true. However, though I've never played the game, I heard that in Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time and another Mario game Luigi had an electrical based character concept, such as Mario has a fired based character concept. This could be an alternative to the vaccum, making him more unique and increasing his chances, theoritically.

Samurai Goroh would be broken. He'd have to be fast, and adding a sword to a fast character? Yeah, not really fair. He'd be like a faster, heavier, Meta-Knight.

About Ridley, didn't the Ridley boss fight music confirm it already? Yeah, he's awesome, which is why hes gonna be in. That's a pretty large basis for adding characters. Ganondorf? Awesome. Fox? Awesome. C. Falcon? Awesome.
In response to your Samurai Goroh remark, what makes you think that? He could be any speed or strength the developer's decide him to be, and his stats would undoubtably portray his character. He's a fat ***, to be blunt. I doubt, if he was playable, his movement would be quick. However, this is kind of a silly thing to argue: What would Samurai Goroh had been like if he was a playable character?

However, I am honestly shocked that Samurai Goroh turned out to be an Assisst Trophy. I personally didn't care that much about him, but he is Captain Falcon's rival... seems like potential to me, but alas, I am not Sora.

The music doesn't confirm anything, really. Also, saying "because [X] character is awesome he/she is gonna be in Brawl" is rather silly, mainly because who is "awesome" and who isn't is a matter of opinion. We wouldn't have a very good game if Sakurai only added characters he thought were "awesome".

My standards, obviously, and what is so wrong with that, I don't think he's good enough but YOU may, this is called a difference of opinion, most opinions don't hold any weight, that's why there called opinions ffs, if you disagree with that, well, that's just your opinion;), also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with speculating who could be a secret character, by your logic we could shut half the forum down because dicussion on who's going to be in it and what level will be in is pointless, it's just you know, a bit of fun, fort hose not living in ashell of mundanity.:confused:.

Well, everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion. However, if a character doesn't meet your standards doesn't mean he/she won't be in Brawl or should be an Assisst Trophy.

However, I'm going to have to agree. Speculation and polite debates are what makes the whole waiting process more fun. Notice how I didn't say argueing.

BentoBox

Smash Master
My standards, obviously, and what is so wrong with that, I don't think he's good enough but YOU may, this is called a difference of opinion, most opinions don't hold any weight, that's why there called opinions ffs, if you disagree with that, well, that's just your opinion;), also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with speculating who could be a secret character, by your logic we could shut half the forum down because dicussion on who's going to be in it and what level will be in is pointless, it's just you know, a bit of fun, fort hose not living in ashell of mundanity.:confused:.
Stop speaking as if you were stating facts. You're simply full of yourself. That is all.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I second Bento-Box. Of course we're only speculating, but at least we have some logic to back up everything we state.

What would make Samurai Goroh fast? Well, seeing as C. Falcon was only made fast because he's a racer(you never see him fight outside his racer) it's only logical Samurai Goroh's moves would be invented along the same basis.

It's basic speculation, but we think with our brains, not our opinions.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Goroh is fat, CF is not. Goroh wields a sword, CF doesnt. C.F is the protagonist of the series. Marth and Roy both came from the same series and both wielded swords and yet they both feel totally different.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
Stop speaking as if you were stating facts. You're simply full of yourself. That is all.
That's your opinion, doesn't hold any weight at all.;)

Kashak - I know that, but i'm not going to say, I think Diddy Kong is rubbish so he should be in it, am I?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well im saddened that goroh aint playable, seriosuly if Goroh aint playable, what Fzero character besided falcon should be??

Still this is by far the most kick *** item of all, I dont care if theyre not allowed im so totally gonna play with this item... til I see all of the assintants obcourse XD

BentoBox

Smash Master
It's not an opinion. You are -not- stating facts. And that IS a fact.

gj at sounding childish and failing to understand a point.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
Actually, i was reffering to you saying i'm full of myself, i thought you'd get it, but i gave you too much credit. :)

While i'm at it...point out where i'm acting like what i'm saying is a fact, please.:)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco&Victory
Samurai Goroh would be broken. He'd have to be fast, and adding a sword to a fast character? Yeah, not really fair. He'd be like a faster, heavier, Meta-Knight.

About Ridley, didn't the Ridley boss fight music confirm it already? Yeah, he's awesome, which is why hes gonna be in. That's a pretty large basis for adding characters. Ganondorf? Awesome. Fox? Awesome. C. Falcon? Awesome.

I'm tired of saying this. Music doesn't confirm a secondary character from a series. Sarias song is an alternate background music in melee but you can't play as Saria. It's just good music from the Metroid series which would complement the new Samus and Zamus. It's like deducting that since there's a Yoshi song, Pac E. Derm and Birdo MUST be in.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
The fact is and still remains: this was a sweet update, and a great way to start off the week. Just when we think Brawl couldn't branch away from Melee (for the better, in some people's eyes), we get hit with this - which changes everything! Even if some of your beloved character wishes don't get in the final roster, if they become ATs, isn't that better than having them excluded completely?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Definitely. I think it was a great step by the developement team to reach out to the players. If the players want their wildest character dreams to come true, give them as much as they can without detracting from the value of the game as a whole. I think they did that very well with the AT's.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
No, what is wrong with -you-. You still have failed to realise that having too big expectations leads you to nothing. From your logic, if secondary characters of a series have big chances of being ATs, why couldn't Ridley be an AT aswell? This isn't about what -you- want in the game, by the way.
because...

A-Ridley has had a bigger role in the Metroid franchise than any other character, so he really isn't secondary
B-I was stating the fact about people complaining sonic and megaman being AT when that would be pointless, asking a third party for a brief cameo by their main character. that'd be like having Mario being an AT, being the mascot of Nintendo, huh he only deserved to be an item. Ridiculous!

and why are you yelling at us for having expectations?! the character i want the most is Leon from Resident Evil, and i highly doubt he'll make it in the game in any form whatsoever. but really this game is about what the fans want in the game. i mean sakurai is basically getting his character info from the fans. It's what WE want that makes smash.

so sue me for having expectations, but I have a strong feeling about the inclusion of characters. and if you don't like it, then don't complain about it

FSLMJM

Smash Journeyman
It seems that, as people are theorizing, there will be no clones in Brawl. Sakurai must be really tightening the list if Samurai Goroh did not make it. Samurai Goroh may not be one of the top contenders, but he is requested a good deal of the time. And he was in the introduction of Melee as C.F's rival. So I think he was suggested as character (and his model is pretty intricate for a one shot item summon). But either his moveset was too stale or other characters had more potential, so he was sent to the AT pile.

Now here is an interesting theory.

LUIGI MIGHT BE AN ASSISTANT TROPHY!

Why?

Well for one Sakurai mentioned (perhaps as a joke) Luigi possibly returning. I forget what site or what interview, but I am sure someone can hunt it down. It is real and not a rumor.

So here is the (hypothetical) process. Sakurai is at the middle of the development process. Different teams came up with potential movelists on paper and rough computer models for many characters. Sakurai wants a creative, fun cast. So he has to pick the best characters from an entertainment perspective. Wario is in. He is not only wildly requested but has moves that offer something new (a vehicle move and a move that grows in strength based only on time). Metaknight, Pit, Zamus, and Snake each offer something. Metaknight perhaps taking Jiggs role as the aerial puff (I think she might be thrown in a pokeball this time around), Zamus perhaps taking Sheik's role, Pit being a dual weilder (with maybe an oppurtunity of having two A movesets), and Snake being a third party member who uses stealth and explosions to sway the battle in his favor.

But Luigi? He doesn't really offer that much. Right now he is just floating between Mario's coolness and Wario's wackiness. He can be given the vacuum, but a wind moveset based on suction and expulsion might best be given to King DeDeDe who has never been a Smash game before. So I think Luigi will be an AT.

That is my prediction. And I think Jiggs will be sent to the pokeball.
Dude...Luigi and Jiggs have been here since SSB64. And there's a 99% chance that everyone from SSB64 will make it as a playable character. So what if he doesn't offer much? That's strictly your opinion. In case you haven't noticed, Luigi has been in Nintendo forever and he has been in countless games.

Bottom line is, you must hate Luigi for something or you must be really stupid to think he may be an AT.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
The fact is and still remains: this was a sweet update, and a great way to start off the week. Just when we think Brawl couldn't branch away from Melee (for the better, in some people's eyes), we get hit with this - which changes everything! Even if some of your beloved character wishes don't get in the final roster, if they become ATs, isn't that better than having them excluded completely?
Right you are my friend, AT's fill the cracks nicely, I mean it's a waste to not put all the loved Nintendo character in the game just because their not good at fighting or the main character of the game. Nintendo, Well done! :) :ness: :)

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Seriously, what a sweet update. I'm glad I stayed up until 2 AM just to see it. Definitely worth it. Not like those lousy music updates...

Stryks

Smash Hero
What? The music updates, like zelda and ridleys theme are just plain awesome, what or do u want to play brawl with mediocre music?...

Rash

Smash Ace
I guess it's a little dissapointing to not see Goroh as a playable character. Yet, it's undeniable that the "Assist Trophies" idea is pretty brilliant. There's really no reason to be pessimistic about it. On one end, it makes sure that many "popular demand" characters will be in the game, even if some ideas are more radical than others and may not suit the main roster that well. On another end, it keeps it so that characters who may not deserve roster spots more than certain others can still be represented, but just not at the sacrifice of those very valuable spots on the selection screen.

Honestly, I'd say that Sakurai made possibly the best choice in going the "Assist Trophies" route. With this he can at least say he tried his best to satisfy everybody within reasonable boundries.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
When i took a quick look at this update all i saw was "Trophies" and i was like, OMG here we go again. Then i see a Hammer Bro throwing hammers at Fox, i check the title again it says "Assist Trophies" this would have to be the scariest item ever! Not literally scared of the trophy, but scared of "WHO" comes out! It could have been my dream to play as Diddy Kong or Viewtiful Joe or whoever, but if i see them appear in that THNG! I know i will never be able to play with him @_@

How tormenting would it be to have a character you wish to play so badly with to run up and down the arena in your face knowing that you will never play with them

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
The idea of an assist trophy isn't bad, but doesn't this idea sound familiar? Here's a hint, it starts with the letter "P" and ends in "mon."

Stryks

Smash Hero
The assit trophies remind me more of the helpers in MvC, thing is here its now random, and u get a diferent character every time u summon it, which is pretty cool...

Blackadder

Smash Master
The idea of an assist trophy isn't bad, but doesn't this idea sound familiar? Here's a hint, it starts with the letter "P" and ends in "mon."
It's basicly what would happen if Poke'mon trainers could catch things OTHER than poke'mon!

To bad Goro isn't playable though.

Blackadder

Smash Master
If you mean Items suck, then yeah, they do.

These things are a shame to me, I mean, after a week of f**king round with items, i'll turn them right off.
They ruin any skill once needed.
Esspecialy when mr. n00b gets the hammer on Yoshi's island stage.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
It takes me 30 second to read the updates.
I don't think you understood Fanewgie's point and Stryks didn't really understand mine.

I'm not saying the music isn't good. It's just kinda hard to get excited over music when there are so many other things that would make for a more interesting update. Besides, gameplay and features are much more important than music.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Ah, but the music DOES have a few neat things to it;
It gives hints as to new characters, stages, ect.
It often sounds good!
(With the exception of the ridley battle thing, that was a little cheesy)

However, I can understand your point as to other updaytes being more interesting Ban.

BentoBox

Smash Master
chiyo:
Because he's not good enough, he's more of a funny character, we got Wario for that, and I just don't like them.
because...

A-Ridley has had a bigger role in the Metroid franchise than any other character, so he really isn't secondary
B-I was stating the fact about people complaining sonic and megaman being AT when that would be pointless, asking a third party for a brief cameo by their main character. that'd be like having Mario being an AT, being the mascot of Nintendo, huh he only deserved to be an item. Ridiculous!

and why are you yelling at us for having expectations?! the character i want the most is Leon from Resident Evil, and i highly doubt he'll make it in the game in any form whatsoever. but really this game is about what the fans want in the game. i mean sakurai is basically getting his character info from the fans. It's what WE want that makes smash.

so sue me for having expectations, but I have a strong feeling about the inclusion of characters. and if you don't like it, then don't complain about it
Because you guys are the first ones to cry like fgts when those expectations get shattered, simply because some seem to value their opinions way too much for them realize that Sakurai isn't an adept at telepathy.

If I had argued agaisnt Goroh 2months ago, thing I did not waste my time doing, sadly, you guys would've brought up "strong" arguments aswell to back up said "likelihoods". In the end, I'm the only one laughing.

Ridley has a good chance of being in because he was an important character? I know a lot of unimportant characters that made the cut in SSBM and a lot of so-called important chars that didn't make it. Why's that? Everything's not all white or black. We're talking about Sakurai here, not your own tastes and beliefs.

Blackadder

Smash Master
New topic;
How many updates do you lot reckon well be based on the new AT's?
Like, New AT':
Goomba!
Type updates?

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I'd rather have music than a filler update like goomba.If it's a worthy character who is an AT,then show him.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Well I would rather have Goroh instead of goomba,wouldn't you? That's what I mean by worthy.But I guess there are so many wanted characters,that each update is make or break for someone.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Yeah, I would rather Goro.
But he would be cooler as a playable character.
But I guess at least he is IN the game.
And to the comment that every new AT will make or break someone?
You're probably right. I've seen people sad over the beloved Hammer Bro not being in the game as a playable character. Which is kinda a silly belife anyway.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I mean, there could be some potentially juicy AT updates that could help reveal some other potential playable characters, but there could also be fillers, and although I'm not really fond of the music ones (OoT Medley was enjoyable I'll admit), I'd take a music update over goomba anyday. In fact, I would take them reconfirming a stage they've already confirmed over a generic AT XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom