• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Would Get You Guys Interested in Project M?

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
At the beginning of melee you probably sucked and played bad people. In PM your friends are probably better at punishing mistakes and they are exploiting you in situations you can likely avoid. But the best part of PM: go post on the forums showing which character you were and why you get 100% hit by warios forward b after a throw and die at 70% (DI???) and maybe the developers will fix it.

Also, I don't know what you are talking about in regards to Falco. There isn't anything about him more broken in PM than in Melee.
Make more assumptions pls. Look up interviews with pee pee and m2k, they both attest to falcon being even more broken in this game. I've heard the same from many local players as well and I can definitely feel the combos going much longer on me in this game. It almost feels like marvel sometimes against a good PM falco

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
Do they have a specific reason(s) for why Falco is even more broken, or are they just going by feel?

Oh, and a source would be nice as well.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
First off, I did not make a wild assumption. I'd imagine the more you play smash, the better you get. Assuming like most of us, you started playing Melee when the metagame was young or growing, you probably weren't as good a player as you are now, when you pick up a game like Project M. Same with your friends who play PM (just out of virtue of the fact that only hardcore players really know it exists). It would follow that they know the little tricks of their character on an advanced level and you don't because you have no exposure to their characters.

Furthermore, I actually have seen interviews with PP that have stated Falco is one of the more faithfully translated characters. If you have interviews to the contrary I would love to see them.

Zolom

Smash Apprentice
1. Spacies are in no way the best in P:M. Absolutely not. Characters already have been made to counter them; in fact, one of my main issues with P:M is the big F**K YOU it issued to spacies. "We didn't like them being good in Melee, so we are going to develop ten new characters that all have ridiculous easy combos on them. And then we'll make Wolf, who has all the good parts about fox and falco, his spotdodge is god, and his recovery is leagues above fox and falco's. Oh, and he can combo Fastfallers as well as mid weights with relative ease." Wolf is an objectively better spacie than fox or falco. They gave many characters intentional chaingrabs on fox and falco. Every single new character was given preset tools to fight fox and falco. THe only reason they are performing better is because they have 11 years of metagame development behind them, and the P:M characters have what, five months behind them?

2. Agreed, sonic is the best character in the game, hands down.

3. More players? Every Melee noob and their mother plays P:M cuz its easier to perform better, as P:M rewards spammy playstyles and eliminates punish opportunities for the player's opponent even if the player is playing terribly. P:M is easier, and, since easy, technical (seeming) gameplay is appealing to noobs, its scene is already astoundingly large . P:M is a great crutch for those who cannot handle Melee. P:M tournies (locally) get a huge turnout compared to melee locals, at least in my region.

4.BALANCE? HA! For a game that prides itself on balance, they have succeeded in about as much balance as Melee has, and Melee is heavily imbalanced. The physics are a work in progress, but right now, they suck a**. If playing melee is equivalent to typing on a keyboard, P:M is typing with closed fists: Sloppy, imprecise, and frustratingly impossible to be consistent with.
Puff and Peach are the only Melee characters with even COMPRABLE recoveries to some in P:M. That is to say, they have very good recoveries. Compared to P:M, every melee high tier excluding those two has a SH*T recovery. And btw, are you forgetting about Falco's recovery? Icies? And the designs of Sonic, Snake, and Lucario are not only not melee-esque, they are not Smash-esque. They take every concept that makes smash a unique fighter and smushes it into a bleary and unfocused mess of gamebreaking mechanics. You also forgot to add Ivysaur to that list.
They are overdone, and its not a good thing.
It took a while, but you made it obvious that you either haven't played PM at all, and have relied on what others have said instead of finding out for yourself, or you picked up PM for a few days, played for a few hours, and made your final conclusion. It is also apparent that you are one of those that is only here to argue, even if it may conflict with your own opinion. As much as I'm sure you'll just enjoy this, I'll toss in my opinion.

1. I agree, I do not believe spacies are "the best." However, with the "counter" thing, please elaborate and give specific examples on specific counters that are a "F*** YOU" to spacies exclusively. Also, what about combos is easy? Hasnt it always been easy if you know who you are fighting? Isnt it also easy to negate said combos because you know what your opponent plans to do? The games meta is currently and constantly changing, perhaps the issue isn't that combos are easy, rather, the issue is that players don't take the time (or perhaps even had the time) to learn the matchups and learn the characters they are fighting to negate said combos. The spacies arent performing better because of the 11 year meta-game. All the original melee cast in PM has also been around for 11 years. Some had big changes, some very little to nothing (I.E Marth, Falcon), at this point, we see better results from the spacies over characters such as these, why is that I wonder?

2. Agreed. But this is why we are in a Demo, the beautiful thing about this is Sonic won't be a Brawl MK. "Well, hes already in there, cant change it, guess we all play MK now." The game will change and aim for total balance, though the likelihood of perfect balance isn't likely to succeed, but I do believe it will be close. Sonic will change, as many of the other characters are sure to as well.

3. Now, I am not a melee noob, but I was never close to top tier. This was due to the lack of my preferred characters being competitively viable. When PM came about, it gave me the opportunity select a character I liked visually, historically, and bend around their style of play. If I didn't like or connect with that style, there was still a myriad of other characters to pick and choose from to suit all my needs and preferences. When I play P:M, I'm not fighting the same few characters with the same strategies, I get to play against a vast number of characters. Due to the game still heavily in its meta-form, and will be for quite some time, I have the luxury of getting to be a part of watching players come out with new and astonishing things with characters. That makes the game extremely fun to not only play but watch as well. Nowadays, its difficult for "new" melee players to make a name for themselves since the bar has been raised so high by players high level of experience and time played, and the concept of "I want to be that good" is nearly out of the realm of imagination, and it just isn't likely happen. The opportunity to play another game, with so much new and variable content allows players to do something new and make it their own. With the cast being so large and relatively close to balance, we can do just about whatever we want. That is why I switched to PM, not for the reasons you stated. I cannot vouch for every PM player, but its a generality to assume a lack of skill is why all players switched to or play PM. I would like you to elaborate further. You make lots of generalizations and state things as though they are fact without providing a basis for thought or hard facts. Just elaborate further, else they remain empty words.

4. It was this part of your post I made my conclusion of what I wrote in the first section of my reply. This game is, by far, the most balanced Smash game yet. It isn't perfect by any means, but it is in a pretty dang good state for being a demo. Again, your first three sentences completely lack reasoning, and requires elaboration. As for recoveries, some characters have it better than others, completely. However, its not all as bad as you make it out to be. Bear in mind, the game hasn't had 11 years to find counters to character's recoveries. Its entirely possibly that the melee cast gives an illusion of being "sh**ty" due to the overwhelming exposure of how to effectively counter them. Some characters have some recovery that may need some tuning down, but it's not all that you make it out to be.

Project: M is a demo. Simple as that. This is a beautiful and a potentially annoying thing at the same time. Looking at it now, it is terrific, and many times better than Brawl in all aspects, and in certain aspects (number of viable characters and viable stages immediately comes to mind) it easily tops melee. The feel of the engine and physics can change, this is also a wonderful thing, as we can expect to see it happen in due time. The single annoying part of being in the demo stage is that things can drastically change to characters, resulting in much time spent learning a character to be close to worthless (excluding the fun you had playing). That's about it, that is the only issue I have with being a demo, but in all truth, it isn't that big of a deal. I expect great things to come out of Project: M, and I am so excited to see where it goes.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I love PM and honestly play it pretty exclusively, but I do have a few minor beefs with the game, however I'm pretty confident they will eventually be addressed. Fox does feel a little off, as do minute little things in the physics engine, but this will probably be resolved rather quickly and easily. Stages, on average, are pretty big and edge-guards do seem much more risky against alot of newcomers. The short ledge-occupancy is nice, but I think it may exaggerate some small issues with characters being difficult to keep off the stage, of course alot of it is may very well be matchup inexperience on my end.

But my BIGGEST problem by far has been addressed a couple of times already, new and buffed characters do kind of feel like a big group of Sheiks. The combo's alot of characters have at the moment are obvious, pretty much guaranteed, and seem to be effective to the point of invalidating experimentation. This is partially our fault for having so much experience with the game, BUT it feels like certain moves, or move strings, were Designed to link together. It may be that the PMBR are, on average, over-qualified in skill and understanding of the game. A big part of what makes Smash, and especially Melee, what they are is the feeling that the moves we string together impromptu were never intended to link, the concept that we, as players, get to invent our own combo's, style, and way of playing out of our character's moveset. I think the PMBR might overthink designs to the point that theorysmash, which is a notoriously boring game, becomes the only tool certain characters have, and that their knowledge may ultimately be leading to a game in which there is only one, painfully obvious, correct option and combo for any given situation. HOWEVER I can understand why the PMBR would go out of their way to examine moves and how they link to each other with very specific combo's and playstyles in mind as this would make balancing and anticipation of character placement much easier. But the added layer of control gained from doing so leaves PM feeling a little less freeform than other titles in the series and more like Brawl. In the end it may be better for them to concentrate on viable individual moves and movesets, instead of how the moves interact with each other within the moveset.
But maybe they already do, how should i know lol, this is all just how I feel about it, my own opinion. In any case I love PM.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I love PM and honestly play it pretty exclusively, but I do have a few minor beefs with the game, however I'm pretty confident they will eventually be addressed. Fox does feel a little off, as do minute little things in the physics engine, but this will probably be resolved rather quickly and easily. Stages, on average, are pretty big and edge-guards do seem much more risky against alot of newcomers. The short ledge-occupancy is nice, but I think it may exaggerate some small issues with characters being difficult to keep off the stage, of course alot of it is may very well be matchup inexperience on my end.

But my BIGGEST problem by far has been addressed a couple of times already, new and buffed characters do kind of feel like a big group of Sheiks. The combo's alot of characters have at the moment are obvious, pretty much guaranteed, and seem to be effective to the point of invalidating experimentation. This is partially our fault for having so much experience with the game, BUT it feels like certain moves, or move strings, were Designed to link together. It may be that the PMBR are, on average, over-qualified in skill and understanding of the game. A big part of what makes Smash, and especially Melee, what they are is the feeling that the moves we string together impromptu were never intended to link, the concept that we, as players, get to invent our own combo's, style, and way of playing out of our character's moveset. I think the PMBR might overthink designs to the point that theorysmash, which is a notoriously boring game, becomes the only tool certain characters have, and that their knowledge may ultimately be leading to a game in which there is only one, painfully obvious, correct option and combo for any given situation. HOWEVER I can understand why the PMBR would go out of their way to examine moves and how they link to each other with very specific combo's and playstyles in mind as this would make balancing and anticipation of character placement much easier. But the added layer of control gained from doing so leaves PM feeling a little less freeform than other titles in the series and more like Brawl. In the end it may be better for them to concentrate on viable individual moves and movesets, instead of how the moves interact with each other within the moveset.
But maybe they already do, how should i know lol, this is all just how I feel about it, my own opinion. In any case I love PM.

Hey Garet,

I'm curious to hear what you think of my post made higher up about autocombos. I think it's my first post in this topic (but it is on this page).

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Hey Garet,

I'm curious to hear what you think of my post made higher up about autocombos. I think it's my first post in this topic (but it is on this page).
I like it as a whole and you made some good points, I definitely agree with it to an extent. However I believe I fall on the other side of the coin so to speak, I understand what you are saying and agree with it, but I feel that, while pre-existing skill and knowledge of the game engine certainly plays into the situation, it is simply exaggerating a potential underlying issue with the characters themselves. I could be wrong though lol, it is hard to say for sure, something about the way some characters are played by multiple people just doesn't seem right to me though.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
The whole concept of a flaw in that the combos are too intentionally designed seems a bit exaggerated. The game is still very flexible.

i just prefer melee's aesthetics way more than brawl's. the character designs in brawl look dumb to me. and the colors are too bland. its enough to make me prefer melee overall. of course it also has more fluid and dynamic feeling gameplay but really it just looks better to me as well
How is Melee more dynamic feeling? You could do the same stuff across both games, and even more (see Snake and Lucario especially).

Make more assumptions pls. Look up interviews with pee pee and m2k, they both attest to falcon being even more broken in this game. I've heard the same from many local players as well and I can definitely feel the combos going much longer on me in this game. It almost feels like marvel sometimes against a good PM falco
Falco:M is pretty much the same as Melee Falco. You're being placebo'ed if you think the combos actually specifically go on longer. There are factors to consider such as your character and the stage, but Falco is NOT artificially better at doing combos. There's no way he could be more broken (especially since the majority of the cast is now viable).

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
ITT: people blame their own ability to not adapt on PM, inbetween rare moments of actual complaints

MattNF

Smash Lord
it feels like PJM is still more clunky and slow than melee. I think it has something to do with the Brawl camera. It feels more zoomed out and it moves way less, whereas melee's zooms in close to the action and thus has to move around a lot (giving the illusion of a faster pace).

Plus there's Brawl's annoying electrical hit sound effects. Moves do not feel like they have any power.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
add melee sounds > brawl sounds! i love the thunderous sounds of melee hits and such, so much more satisfying for me.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
1. Spacies are in no way the best in P:M. Absolutely not. Characters already have been made to counter them; in fact, one of my main issues with P:M is the big F**K YOU it issued to spacies. "We didn't like them being good in Melee, so we are going to develop ten new characters that all have ridiculous easy combos on them. And then we'll make Wolf, who has all the good parts about fox and falco, his spotdodge is god, and his recovery is leagues above fox and falco's. Oh, and he can combo Fastfallers as well as mid weights with relative ease." Wolf is an objectively better spacie than fox or falco. They gave many characters intentional chaingrabs on fox and falco. Every single new character was given preset tools to fight fox and falco. THe only reason they are performing better is because they have 11 years of metagame development behind them, and the P:M characters have what, five months behind them?

2. Agreed, sonic is the best character in the game, hands down.

3. More players? Every Melee noob and their mother plays P:M cuz its easier to perform better, as P:M rewards spammy playstyles and eliminates punish opportunities for the player's opponent even if the player is playing terribly. P:M is easier, and, since easy, technical (seeming) gameplay is appealing to noobs, its scene is already astoundingly large . P:M is a great crutch for those who cannot handle Melee. P:M tournies (locally) get a huge turnout compared to melee locals, at least in my region.

4.BALANCE? HA! For a game that prides itself on balance, they have succeeded in about as much balance as Melee has, and Melee is heavily imbalanced. The physics are a work in progress, but right now, they suck a**. If playing melee is equivalent to typing on a keyboard, P:M is typing with closed fists: Sloppy, imprecise, and frustratingly impossible to be consistent with.
Puff and Peach are the only Melee characters with even COMPRABLE recoveries to some in P:M. That is to say, they have very good recoveries. Compared to P:M, every melee high tier excluding those two has a SH*T recovery. And btw, are you forgetting about Falco's recovery? Icies? And the designs of Sonic, Snake, and Lucario are not only not melee-esque, they are not Smash-esque. They take every concept that makes smash a unique fighter and smushes it into a bleary and unfocused mess of gamebreaking mechanics. You also forgot to add Ivysaur to that list.
They are overdone, and its not a good thing.
I didn't bother reading any of the responses to this.
But I got linked here because people are telling me to look at how stupid this is.
And holy crap, this is probably the dumbest thing ever said in the smash community.
And you have a lot of stupid crap to compete with.
So.
GOLD MEDAL

Renji64

Smash Lord
I actually like the recovery's in P:M. The button presses feel weird to me but other than that i don't have much complains some stages do feel a bit too big tho. This mod has been progressing well I hope to see the Ic's next update. P:M mario is my favorite I hope that P:M will continue to progress and grow and get more players I much rather play P:M over brawl anyday some fresh life into that game helps alot.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
While many complaints may look like johns to some people, people don't complain without a reason, that means that all feedback, positive or negative are useful to the PMBR, we'll keep trying to improve the game because the main reason we're making it is for the community to enjoy it as much as it enjoys melee, that's our ultimate objective.

As long as we hear complaints we'll continue trying to improve the game, so, if you're unsatisfied with the game, don't hesitate to say why and explain the reasons, chances are that in future you won't need to complain anymore. But really, if you only limit yourself to post "this feels clunky, this feels strange" without even trying to explain why, we can't use your feedback without a base on how to solve the issue and see if it actually exists.

I got confused by one post though, that says the game changes too often... Is six months to one year really too often? Some communities would love to see their game have a balance update every year.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
What would make me interested, is a full, final version that will not be significantly changed. I guess my worry is that I'll learn one version of the game, and the next will break my gameplay so I have to relearn something. I'm not a big fan of backtracking. It's the same reason I won't read a 2012 book when there is a 2013 edition. I'll feel like I'm missing something.

crush

Smash Master
one of the reasons im not interested in it is because it hasnt been played for 10 years, the game isnt advanced, etc. melee isnt necessarily perfect but its super fun b/c all of the matchups (between all 8 characters) have been figured out and everyone is at sucha high level because the games been played so long. project m doesnt have that, and theres like 60 viable characters and nobody knows wtf is going on.

also because it sucks

Ace55

Smash Lord
Just for the sake of argument:

Melee chars with 'auto-combos' out of grabs (not counting vs fastfallers): Fox, Sheik, Falcon, IC, Doc, Ganon, Samus, Mario, DK, Link, YLink, Yoshi, G&W, Ness. 14 out of 26, about 54%.

PM chars 'auto-combos' out of grabs (not counting vs fastfallers): Fox, Mario, Pit, Snake, Lucario, Falcon, DK, Wario, Ganon, Lucas, ROB, Link, Toon Link, Ivysaur, Ness, G&W. 16 out of 33, about 48%.

Going with my own personal opinion of 'viable' melee chars (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach, IC, Falcon, Doc, Samus, Pikachu, Luigi, Ganon) and assuming all PM chars are at least as viable as melee Luigi it would be 7 out of 12 or 58% vs the aforementioned 48%.

*Listed chars have auto-combos out of throws against the majority of their respective cast, not everyone.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
one of the reasons im not interested in it is because it hasnt been played for 10 years, the game isnt advanced, etc. melee isnt necessarily perfect but its super fun b/c all of the matchups (between all 8 characters) have been figured out and everyone is at sucha high level because the games been played so long. project m doesnt have that, and theres like 60 viable characters and nobody knows wtf is going on.

also because it sucks

I don't understand...why do you even post?

whitmorethetoadpirate

Smash Apprentice
Clearly P:M is better since it has the announcer from Bill Nye the Science Guy. Plus, his name is Pat Cashman. Cashman? Could you ask for a better last name?

In all seriousness though, the announcer from melee is much better. More energy, more impact, though I thought the way he said some things very strange. Ganondorf, for example.

But that's really only one of the few things that I like from melee better. Otherwise P:M gets my vote for the better game.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Despite really enjoying PM (and hosting the largest PM tournament, I think that's still true), I actually think that the point above about combos being too easy/designed in this game is true, to some extent. The one thing I thought when I first picked up PM was, wow, I'm doing a ton of combos and I've barely played the game. What are people going to be able to do if it actually gets the same amount of attention and time as Melee?

No idea if there's any validity to that line of thought, but it does make me wonder. Not like combos necessarily equal bad, either, but if 0-death combos become standard practice, that's a bit out of the Smash style.

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
"What Would Get You Inetrested in Project M?" (yes interested is spelled wrong in the title)
Being able to play it on a PAL copy of Brawl

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Not being able to wavedash out of shield is a real problem. That's an important element of Melee's ground game that needs to come back. Ledge grabbing is totally weird... they need to shorten the grab distance and remove the ability to grab while facing backwards at the apex of an Up B. Light shielding needs to come back too.

However, from what I've read, those issues are the result of programming problems, not design choices. They get closer to the wonderful fluid feel that Melee has with each update. Maybe one day it will replace Melee, but it's still too early to tell.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
You can wavedash out of shield. It's harder but the easiest way to do it is halfpress one shoulder to shield and then fullpress to air dodge. Works fine.

D

Deleted member

It feels better than Melee (referring to performing advanced ****.)

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
PM is a changing game.

Melee is there and never received any update (other than 1.2 and PAL). The fact it's so stable allows for really learning the game to the every last bit. That cannot happen in PM until a final (really final) version is released. I'd say at some point release a version and no further balancing at all.

Also, what others said, I dislike some characters, they don't feel smash-like. I value the creativity you guys are putting in, but I don't like certain aspects / physics. In particular, Sonic, Snake and Lucario feel like outsiders to me, and weird small things, like the B-side of Ike, the boomerang animation of the new Link.

That being said, I follow closely and play from time to time, mostly with the new characters. But Melee is staying, and I don't see it going away in favour of PM, SD remix or anything.

whitmorethetoadpirate

Smash Apprentice
PM is a changing game.

Melee is there and never received any update (other than 1.2 and PAL). The fact it's so stable allows for really learning the game to the every last bit. That cannot happen in PM until a final (really final) version is released. I'd say at some point release a version and no further balancing at all.

Also, what others said, I dislike some characters, they don't feel smash-like. I value the creativity you guys are putting in, but I don't like certain aspects / physics. In particular, Sonic, Snake and Lucario feel like outsiders to me, and weird small things, like the B-side of Ike, the boomerang animation of the new Link.

That being said, I follow closely and play from time to time, mostly with the new characters. But Melee is staying, and I don't see it going away in favour of PM, SD remix or anything.
That seems kind of ridiculous to say when you can look at a game like DotA where Icefrog is updating it at about the same rate as Project M and yet people learn that to its fullest extent. Plus, there are over 100 heroes, making for more than 400 abilities, many different items, etc. Just take a look at it and try to tell me otherwise.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
They just need to not update it too often. Otherwise, the meta game will get a sort of "flavor of the month" feel to it, rather than something solid with subtle changes.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
The sound effects are so lame. Strong hits don't feel like strong hits.

Knee someone in P:M and then knee again in melee. Melee's knee is like getting hit by lightning while P:M's knee is like a tap.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Wow you guys are really acting like kids seriously, i had the very same complaints (still do in some cases) but i guess the majority of you still haven't realized its a freaking demo. 2.6 just came out and i have to say, i'm impressed, untill the change list comes out i won't know for sure what they did but EVERYONE feels more fluid, faster, i can even feel more of *thump* with each attack, Falco and fox, WITHOUT the melee models i use feel almost identical to melee. You guys are just complaning without actually going deeper into the "why" you don't or won't play it.

I for one think that the new demo has really done a good job at getting my attention again, and seeing as how it was mostly balance changes (2.5->2.6, not a big leap) i'm very happy with what they did and it's gotten me very very excited for 3.0

Again, use fox or falco or falcon, they feel alot better and more identical to melee

BIG PS- for all of you who are complaining about certain things like SFX, take a look here, i'm even more excited for the next PM release http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=61460.0

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
While there are valid complaints in this thread, most of them address things that the PMBR plan to fix in the future, like the smoothing out the engine/physics.

Then there are complaints about auto-combos and "too easy lol" that I find less valid. Learn the tech skill and Marth or Shiek becomes an easy character to combo with. Learn more tech skill and Falco and Falcon also join that spot. The PMBR liked Melee so a lot of the character design took inspiration from these characters (Wolf being like a Falcon/Spacie hybrid and ZSS being similar to Falcon, Shiek, and Falco). There is a lot of Melee meta and intuition that fuels many characters and is most likely the reason why they feel so natural to people. Someone who was good with Falcon in Melee, might pick up ZSS in PM and just be a god with her. Maybe it's because his particular play-style suits ZSS's hybrid style more than just pure Falcon.

When it comes to balance, I find it incredibly insulting to Melee low tier mains like myself to talk about how balanced Melee is. It's only semi-balanced if you ignore most of the cast, and if you do that, you are disregarding a major part of the game and disregarding a subset of the Melee community. Melee is like a set of chess pieces. You have Fox, Falco, Jiggz, Marth, Shiek, Peach, Falcon, etc. taking up the better pieces (Queen, Rook, Knight, Bishop) while the low tiers make up the sea of pawns. What it seems a lot of people are arguing is that Smash is better with fewer characters (ie. It's OK if the majority of the characters are pawns because they don't add to the game anyway). Project M aims to make those pawns their own unique characters with their own special tools. In doing so, admittedly the metagame will be shaky at first because the established pieces now have to deal with new strategies while the new pieces are trying to learn and advance their new tools. The idea however is that ulltimately, PM will become bigger than Melee because instead of disregarding almost the whole cast, they embraced it in order to make a deeper, more challenging, and more rewarding game.

Also, as a side note, I have been away from the Melee portion of the boards for a while now (PM taking up all of my time), and I have heard stuff over there about how thick some of the Melee community is about PM. I always assumed they were over-exaggerating but boy, was I wrong. A good portion of the posts in here are: A. Ignorant B. Elitist or C. Extremely over-demanding considering the capacities of a Demo.

And even the posts that aren't so inflammatory end up not making much sense. It's like people are trying to come up with "deep, complex" reasons why Melee is superior that ultimately end up falling flat because the majority of what is said is either false, or just silly.

And I love PM more than Melee, despite it not having my favorite character in any Smash game. It's undeniably a better game.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
While there are valid complaints in this thread, most of them address things that the PMBR plan to fix in the future, like the smoothing out the engine/physics.

Then there are complaints about auto-combos and "too easy lol" that I find less valid. Learn the tech skill and Marth or Shiek becomes an easy character to combo with. Learn more tech skill and Falco and Falcon also join that spot. The PMBR liked Melee so a lot of the character design took inspiration from these characters (Wolf being like a Falcon/Spacie hybrid and ZSS being similar to Falcon, Shiek, and Falco). There is a lot of Melee meta and intuition that fuels many characters and is most likely the reason why they feel so natural to people. Someone who was good with Falcon in Melee, might pick up ZSS in PM and just be a god with her. Maybe it's because his particular play-style suits ZSS's hybrid style more than just pure Falcon.

When it comes to balance, I find it incredibly insulting to Melee low tier mains like myself to talk about how balanced Melee is. It's only semi-balanced if you ignore most of the cast, and if you do that, you are disregarding a major part of the game and disregarding a subset of the Melee community. Melee is like a set of chess pieces. You have Fox, Falco, Jiggz, Marth, Shiek, Peach, Falcon, etc. taking up the better pieces (Queen, Rook, Knight, Bishop) while the low tiers make up the sea of pawns. What it seems a lot of people are arguing is that Smash is better with fewer characters (ie. It's OK if the majority of the characters are pawns because they don't add to the game anyway). Project M aims to make those pawns their own unique characters with their own special tools. In doing so, admittedly the metagame will be shaky at first because the established pieces now have to deal with new strategies while the new pieces are trying to learn and advance their new tools. The idea however is that ulltimately, PM will become bigger than Melee because instead of disregarding almost the whole cast, they embraced it in order to make a deeper, more challenging, and more rewarding game.
I agree with this to an extent, it's rather well thought out and a pretty sound statement overall.

Also, as a side note, I have been away from the Melee portion of the boards for a while now (PM taking up all of my time), and I have heard stuff over there about how thick some of the Melee community is about PM. I always assumed they were over-exaggerating but boy, was I wrong. A good portion of the posts in here are: A. Ignorant B. Elitist or C. Extremely over-demanding considering the capacities of a Demo.

And even the posts that aren't so inflammatory end up not making much sense. It's like people are trying to come up with "deep, complex" reasons why Melee is superior that ultimately end up falling flat because the majority of what is said is either false, or just silly.

And I love PM more than Melee, despite it not having my favorite character in any Smash game. It's undeniably a better game.
However, this last bit was silly, you literally turned around and did exactly what you took issue with. Also try not to state your opinions on blatantly subjective material as facts, it really detracts from your credibility. I love PM too, but acting like that wont get much done, on top of that most of the posts in this thread have been refreshingly productive and reasonable, I just can't honestly say I understand where you are coming from with that last little quip.

Top Bottom