• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Would Get You Guys Interested in Project M?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
^I see. Still, making offensive improvements is kind of necessary imo because not every character in Melee has the luxury being offensively viable (not that they're all supposed to be...). I'm wrong about the source, but it seems to be what PM is going for.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Yeah Marth just feels off

I can't say why he feels off, and there is literally nothing different about him regarding physics between the two games

but he clearly is much stiffer than in Melee

I can't say why

How can I make this post more obviously sardonic

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I agree. How could Project M be a gateway to Melee? You're going to cripple yourself by going from a good Link to a really crappy one?

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Before i critcize, i just hope all of you are fully aware that it continues to be a demo, theres still a long way to go before it's complete, it seems like a good amount of you guys are just putting the team on the spot for things that are yet to be done, instead of just waiting, they don't need to be reminded that PM still isn't as technical and smooth as Melee, i'm pretty sure they are fully aware of it. Now on too what i think (not like anybody cares, but w/e)

-Recoveries: I've been explaining this to my friend (he uses Ness) every time we play. The recoveries in this game are Way. Too. Good. Simple as that, one of the really fun and exciting aspects of Melee was the ledge-game in general. Losing stage control meant the possibility of being forced to the edge or simply getting kicked off the stage, which usually meant you were dead (this goes for all char. minus Peach, Puff, pika, samus, and mewtwo) this means that it was up to the player who was off the stage to make a decision and get back on the stage however possible, this either makes for some amazing decisions were they confuse the player guarding the edge (look at Hax with the way he controls Falcon's up-b), and the player that guarded the edge had to be quick to act and make sure he doesn't come back, this also means for some really tricky movements on the stage, confusing or misguiding the other player to go where he wants, or just flat out taking a stock (see M2k, mango, or Armada).

Lately i've been getting pissed off with Ness and my friend has been getting pissed off with the majority of the cast, usually if i fail an edge-guard, it was bc i didn't do it right or my friend was able to trick me, and i acknowledge it (this is in Melee) in PM, i'm marth, he's ness, he up-b's into my f-smash, guess who wins? I don't thats for sure. Not only that, he can come back a mile away and still hit me hard enough to kill me. This could seem like "i don't know how to handle him, so its the char. fault" but thats not true, i'm leagues better than my friend and yet there has been tons of instances where he says "thats ****ed up, if this were melee i would have been dead" too many times Ness has gone back onto the stage in a braindead way, with little to no effort put forth by the player using him to think of a smart way of getting back on-stage, while the other player runs circles around the stage trying to hit him, just to get hit and die. Now thats my rant for that char. that he uses, but i use the majority of the cast and i see the same thing if not worse, this is especially true for diddy, venasaur, squirtle, zero suit etc. I mean, i use them and i feel like i'm cheating or something, its way too easy to get back on stage, correction, it's to easy to get back on stage while harming your opponent in the process.

Edge-guarding in PM is simply tedious to perform and boring to watch, its one of the main reasons i rarely watch PM videos. Also, the buffed recoveries contribute significantly into the whole "Melee matches last 3-4 min. max, PM matches last 5-6 min." Apart from being boring, it seems like the one guarding the edge is actually the one in a disadvantage than the one off the stage, hell there's characters that can get back on without too much to worry while also being able to screw you up just as easy when you get off (ROB for example). It simply feels like you get a recovery that has too much priority, too much mobility, and little to no risk in doing it, i want chars that have the kind of recovery that fox has, he has a generous two recoveries, both of which have little to no priority (phantism is actually the move with less priority in melee, don't know about PM) while still being flexible in the sense that one lets you go any direction you like at any angle, and the other one can be shortened, this has always been to me the model of a balanced recovery, they give you breakable tools that can be used for just about any situation, but only if YOU, the player know how to utilize it.If you want a PM example, take T Link for instance, his recovery is potent against someone guarding but also very short, if you wanna come back from far away, you need to know how to bombjumb, technique that is dangerous and technical, but rewarding and intresting. I'm not saying that chars have to be that way, i think Peach has a really creative way of coming back on stage while still being reasonable in the eyes of the one who wants her dead.

Recoveries need to be nerfed all around, not big nerfes, just something that resembles 2.1 Icarus-> 2.5b Icarus, or make them more complex and not just *press button-> select angle-> get on stage/take free stock*

-Stages: Just like everyone else says, the majority of the stages are too big and seem to actually favor floaty chars over normal weight chars, oh and Bones is spot on with the stage control thing, another important and exciting aspect of melee was that, stage control, backing your opponent to the edge or you trying to regain ground through quick movement. I actually like lots of the stages bc of the design, it breathes fresh air into the same 6-stages used in melee. Hopefully they can make new smaller stages.

-Movesets: There are some moves that simply polarize a char, instead of adding on to the list of options and tools at your disposal. I think a good example of this would be ganon, his brawl front-b is a huge and well needed buff for him coming from melee, i love the move, but as i've seen with myself (and tons of other players) its too easy to use and is a guaranted hit on big fellas like bowser or DK, it feels like the move was made for a specific situation and not whenever you wanted it to be used. I get that smae feeling from lots of other chars, just can't remember. The other would be lucario, has this amazing combo mechanic yet it seems like the only way he can kill is using aerial side-b or throwing/hitting you into a spirit bomb, it's boring and it seems like it undermines the characters potental (although lucario is probably the most complex character in the game, so idk what other players could do given the time)

-Aesthetic: I personally believe that if you wanna have that certain "feel" of melee, or at least get close to it, you have to make smaller models for some characters. I'm sure theres some chars that feel bulky and slow bc of the mechanical side of things not being finished yet, but then theres fox and falco, i remember the first time i played 2.5 i tried out Fox and falco just to see how close the team had gotten with fixing that controll lag, it still felt horrible with these two. I saw that there was melee models for them, i put them on and holy **** that made a ****load of difference, i was amazed at how much more fluid it felt, still not on par with melee but getting there (with the melee model that is) i can only say that for those two, but still, chars seem too big. When i use melee marth in melee yoshi island and compare it to it's PM counterpart, PM marth seems like he grew or something, and the stage feels bigger.
That also goes with the camera, i compare PM FD camera with Melee FD camera and PM seems like its a little to away, same goes for BF, yoshi, etc. Then theres also the rumble effect. I never realized how important it was untill one day when i took off the rumble effect in melee and used falcon, it felt horrible, as if i wasn't playing or something, when that happened i compared Melee rumble with PM rumble, again, wasn't the same. I knee'd a fox with 70%, on FD with both games, same place too, i knee'd him first in PM, felt the rumble, did it in Melee and goddamn what a difference. This also goes with Marth and his tipper, in melee i feel like....well like i hit someone with the tip of the sword, in PM i hit someone with the tip yet it feels like i hit them with roys tip.

That's all I have for now

I play PM when i'm with my friends, but i don't play with it and much less practice with a new character. Even then, my friends get bored, i was suprised last time i played with them (it was thursday i think) every time we got togther to play, i always had a burning sensation to ask if they wanna play melee, but i hold on. This last time, after like an hour of PM i asked them and they said yeah sure, i told them "get's boring after a while huh?" and they agreed, one of them mostly said "marth feels wierd and foreign to me in PM, and also the effects in PM are bland when you compare them to melee, like the sound and the feeling when you hit someone with a strong attack, and the speed too"

I hope you guys are working more on the mechanical side than just bringing new characters, otherwise you'll never get a good amount of melee players to transition for good.

Either way, PM is a melee players wet dream waiting to become true, actually if the next demo has that 1-frame lag thing fixed, i could go ahead and say it's better than melee.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I think I made a mistake in making a public opinion thread for a Game in it's Demo Build. But yeah, given one of the Project M goals is balancing edgeguards to favor the edgeguarding player, I expect that recoveries could see a nerf to a more "Melee-esque" level.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Project M's a lot of fun. The character designs are super unique, the stages look amazing, a lot of characters are viable, and there's an overwhelming and still increasing amount of customizability you can have with your game. That being said, there's still a couple of reasons why I it's not replacing Melee as my main game (yet?):

1. Physics still don't feel as smooth, but I'm sure it'll get better with each release. It's a shame that we probably won't get lightshielding though.
2. Recoveries are all really dang good.
3. Shiek-like "auto-combos" across the entire freakin cast.
4. Shiek sucks.
5. Sonic. It's way too soon to say if he's broken or not but his animations at least need to be fixed so that half of his attacks don't look exactly the same and people can at least see what he's doing.
6. The Melee community is awesome.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
It's not gonna happen, but for me, it would have to be the re-inclusion of the removed Melee characters. Obviously not gonna happen because I know that parts of Young Link were incorporated into Toon Link and parts of Dr. Mario were incorporated into Mario, (not sure about Pichu/Pikachu though,) but A MAN CAN DREAM, CAN'T HE?

JKJ

Smash Ace
1. I don't think you understand what the term "objective" means. However, it's my opinion (and the PMBR's intention) that Wolf is the least stupidly effective yet best designed and most fun to play with/against spacie. His laser and down-air are both worse and harder to use than Falco's. His shine isn't as dumb as Fox's. His smash attacks are a lot weaker than Fox's and Falco's; in general, it's a lot harder for him to land finishing blows. So if you really think Wolf has ALL the good parts of Fox and Falco, then you've probably tried a different game. Also, Fox and Falco were ALREADY combo food in Melee.

3. Project M is supposed to be a bit more offensively-oriented than Melee. If punishing isn't always completely easy, the the PMBR is doing something right. Also, Falco's laser is still one of the most spam-rewarding moves in the game.

4. Didn't you say in #3 that P:M is easier to perform better in? How is it that you now think P:M feels "sloppy, imprecise, and frustratingly impossible to be consistent with"? Also, you clearly haven't tried recovering with many characters in P:M. Zero and Mario in particular have good recovery options. Also, you're just too narrow-minded about the character designs. Snake and Sonic were in Brawl, so they do qualify as "Smash-esque". Lucario is just badass; I don't understand why people need to complain about his playstyle. Really, Project M IS better balanced than Melee. You need to get to the lab and learn how to play the game properly.

1. Wolf is just as good as Fox or Falco, at the very least. What he doesn't have from either fox or falco, he makes up for with a recovery far better than either of the original spacies, and an insanely good punish and evasion game. His spotdodge is lightning fast and other evasion techniques are similarly unpunishable. His speed and his shine's easy followups make him better than either fox or falco, because he can also combo floaties and midweights pretty well, whereas Fox and falco largely have two piece combos followed by tech chases on most floaties, if they have combos at all.

3. I don't think that giving characters arbitrarily good, almost outlandish options as compared to the rest of the cast is a good thing. In Project: M, Ivysaur's projectile Razor leaf is ridiculous and unshieldable (without a guaranteed punish) whereas in melee similar options existed, but took skill. Ex: Samus Missile into grab frame trap and others like it.

4. Your logic is flawed. Just because a character was in another smash game, doesnt mean that this version of them, with largely different moves and attributes, are very smash-like. Also, just because you don't see why Lucario is disliked by many players, doesn't mean that those reasons don't exist or aren't valid. And as for the recoveries, you proved my point. The characters made for or overhauled for Project : M have very good recovery options. You literally stated that, and were arguing for my viewpoint. Mario and Zero suit have good recovery options because, surprise, they were overhauled for Project: M.

"Really, Project M IS better balanced than Melee."

I totally believe you because of all of the prior evidence you presented.

What a well-made counter-argument. I should just give up my obviously indefensible position now.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I'm curious. How is PM less technical than Melee?

P:M is less technical than Melee because you have larger margins for error with l-cancels, wavedashes, short hops and other techs. For example, I sometimes have trouble with Fox's wavedash in melee, or at least doing it for max distance. In Project:M, I look so good because they created more leeway to create the illusion of being more technical.

Also, most P:M characters require even less techskill than some of Melee's simplest characters, like Marth or Sheik. They're mostly floaties, so Spacies and other Melee characters can't combo them well, and on top of that they don't have any tech requirements for controlling neutral position or pressuring the opponent. Most Project : M characters pressure for free, or have ridiculous ranges/mechanics that allow them to be constantly threatening all space on the stage at all time.
EDIT: Double post, whoops.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
1. Wolf is just as good as Fox or Falco, at the very least. What he doesn't have from either fox or falco, he makes up for with a recovery far better than either of the original spacies, and an insanely good punish and evasion game. His spotdodge is lightning fast and other evasion techniques are similarly unpunishable. His speed and his shine's easy followups make him better than either fox or falco, because he can also combo floaties and midweights pretty well, whereas Fox and falco largely have two piece combos followed by tech chases on most floaties, if they have combos at all.

3. I don't think that giving characters arbitrarily good, almost outlandish options as compared to the rest of the cast is a good thing. In Project: M, Ivysaur's projectile Razor leaf is ridiculous and unshieldable (without a guaranteed punish) whereas in melee similar options existed, but took skill. Ex: Samus Missile into grab frame trap and others like it.

4. Your logic is flawed. Just because a character was in another smash game, doesnt mean that this version of them, with largely different moves and attributes, are very smash-like. Also, just because you don't see why Lucario is disliked by many players, doesn't mean that those reasons don't exist or aren't valid. And as for the recoveries, you proved my point. The characters made for or overhauled for Project : M have very good recovery options. You literally stated that, and were arguing for my viewpoint. Mario and Zero suit have good recovery options because, surprise, they were overhauled for Project: M.

"Really, Project M IS better balanced than Melee."

I totally believe you because of all of the prior evidence you presented.

What a well-made counter-argument. I should just give up my obviously indefensible position now.
1. Earlier, you said Wolf has all the good parts of Fox and Falco. Why are you suddenly changing your mind? Now you're saying he has good things that Fox and Falco DON'T have (which has never really been a doubt). It really just seems that Wolf is a good character that you don't have the patience to learn how to fight. He's really not OP compared to Fox and Falco, and I already explained why.

3. Razor Leaf isn't that good. Most P:M players don't consider it OP. It's no Spacie/Zero laser; that's for sure. Now what is it about Snake that doesn't seem Smash-esque? His knife? Link already has a side-smash like that. Hitboxes on his up-B? Every other character has that. Being standard human weight? Well, that would make him more Smash-esque than the Brawl version. Am I missing anything? I'm confident with Snake and Sonic because they don't seem particularly not-Smash with their new stuff, in my opinion (like how Sonic has jump-cancel specials...nothing new. He's OP right now, but his solid features just don't seem not-Smash as you think). Lucario I understand how he's very different, but I don't think he's a character worth disliking immediately.

4. I never said the reasons don't exist. I stated that I don't see them, which is why you have an opportunity to explain instead of assuming I think they don't exist. For the recovery part, I misread. I thought you meant that most characters in P:M have bad recoveries, but the way you worded it was kind of unclear. "Compared to P:M, every melee high tier excluding those two has a SH*T recovery" is a hard to understand sentence because you're comparing P:M (a game) to Melee high tiers (characters). You should have described "P:M's characters". Not that I'm arguing semantics, but that's really where my confusion came from.

Also, your logic for how P:M is "less technical" is flawed. Just because things are easier to do doesn't mean the techniques (which make the game "technical") are any less apparent. There's no such thing as an "illusion of being more technical". You can't fake a wavedash.

Really, you just seem like the kind of guy who thinks everything is overpowered just because the majority of the characters is finally viable and you can't always get completely free combos with your Melee high tier characters anymore. Learn how to play the game before you call things "ridiculous". The game is definitely better balanced than Melee. The bottom half of Melee's characters aren't viable. P:M has more characters, most of which are viable.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Guess I'll just reiterate some things others have said.

1. I can't properly shield with L and wavedash with R. This mechanic has one of my most important movement options out the window.

2. Recoveries are too good. All of Melee's commonly used characters (and even many mid-low tier ones) except for Jigglypuff are very edgeguardable. Most of them have downright bad recoveries that only appear okay because years have been put into mastering all of the ways to mix them up.

3. I learned my lesson with Ike. No longer spending time on learning characters that are subject to big changes. I'm just gonna play the Melee ones that are going to stay roughly the same.

4. I don't really like the design strategy of assigning particular individuals to characters. I think there needs to be larger subteams working on each character.

5. Too many auto combos. In Melee there really aren't THAT many auto combos. It's just Sheik stuff on floaties, Fox waveshine, and obviously death combos on spacies. In PM it's like if ROB grabs you, you're screwed. If Bowser grabs you, you're screwed. If DK grabs you, you're screwed. etc. There's a lot less room for DI'ing out of stuff. On a similar note, I'm going to echo Cactuar's complaint which is that it seems like too many combos were designed to work.

Vashimus

Smash Master
As long as Project M stays different enough that players with an unhealthy, dogmatic allegiance to Melee stay clear of it, I'm happy.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I find it funny how a lot of the criticisms directed toward P:M in this thread (less technical, too simple, clunky, etc.) are the same criticisms directed at Melee by people who play other fighters :p

Also, regarding the clunkiness, I never played Melee that much after I got Brawl, and, in fact, only started playing again long after I downloaded P:M. When I played Melee, I actually thought Melee felt clunky, not P:M. I think the "clunky" feel is simply unfamiliarity. It's like you're so used to playing Melee that P:M falls into the "uncanny valley"; it's close enough to Melee that you feel like it should be Melee, but it's different enough to severely throw you off.

As far as the recovery issues go, I don't tend to notice them but that could also be because I went from Brawl's incredibly irritatingly good recoveries to P:M's easier to ledgeguard recoveries. Of course, my brother, who is the person I play with most often, mains Squirtle and Ganondorf, neither of whom has a particularly good recovery, so that could also contribute to my feelings about the issue.

Relating to techs being easier, why is that a bad thing? It means there's less of an entry barrier and less of a chance of making dumb mistakes during competition.

Anyhow, my actual criticisms with P:M mostly relate to its unfinished nature. Some characters are still way too good (Sonic, for example) and others (Ness, Luigi, Dedede, G&W) still have glaring weaknesses that cripple their usability. The metagame is still under development so there's still a lot of silly stuff going on in competitive matches. Doesn't help that the updates tend to reset the metagame. The stages are pretty hit and miss, and some of them could definitely do with some sizing-down. However, there's still a roughly equal amount of competitively viable stages in Melee and P:M, so I don't mind.

Overall, though, as someone who just plays Smash for fun and not for competition, P:M is definitely my favorite out of the 4, and it's only going to get better. I can understand how people who were expecting it to be Melee would be disappointed though.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I'm sure that some of the
1. Earlier, you said Wolf has all the good parts of Fox and Falco. Why are you suddenly changing your mind? Now you're saying he has good things that Fox and Falco DON'T have (which has never really been a doubt). It really just seems that Wolf is a good character that you don't have the patience to learn how to fight. He's really not OP compared to Fox and Falco, and I already explained why.

3. Razor Leaf isn't that good. Most P:M players don't consider it OP. It's no Spacie/Zero laser; that's for sure. Now what is it about Snake that doesn't seem Smash-esque? His knife? Link already has a side-smash like that. Hitboxes on his up-B? Every other character has that. Being standard human weight? Well, that would make him more Smash-esque than the Brawl version. Am I missing anything? I'm confident with Snake and Sonic because they don't seem particularly not-Smash with their new stuff, in my opinion (like how Sonic has jump-cancel specials...nothing new. He's OP right now, but his solid features just don't seem not-Smash as you think). Lucario I understand how he's very different, but I don't think he's a character worth disliking immediately.

4. I never said the reasons don't exist. I stated that I don't see them, which is why you have an opportunity to explain instead of assuming I think they don't exist. For the recovery part, I misread. I thought you meant that most characters in P:M have bad recoveries, but the way you worded it was kind of unclear. "Compared to P:M, every melee high tier excluding those two has a SH*T recovery" is a hard to understand sentence because you're comparing P:M (a game) to Melee high tiers (characters). You should have described "P:M's characters". Not that I'm arguing semantics, but that's really where my confusion came from.

Also, your logic for how P:M is "less technical" is flawed. Just because things are easier to do doesn't mean the techniques (which make the game "technical") are any less apparent. There's no such thing as an "illusion of being more technical". You can't fake a wavedash.

Really, you just seem like the kind of guy who thinks everything is overpowered just because the majority of the characters is finally viable and you can't always get completely free combos with your Melee high tier characters anymore. Learn how to play the game before you call things "ridiculous". The game is definitely better balanced than Melee. The bottom half of Melee's characters aren't viable. P:M has more characters, most of which are viable.

1. I didn't mean that Wolf has the literal moves of Fox and Falco, I meant that he has both the fastfaller combos of Falco and the grab/ tech chase mechanics of fox, and now he even has new options for more, easier combos. He's definitely better than fox or falco, especially when you consider his recovery.

3. Razor leaf is like a missile, except it forces an option other than shield. Whereas you can shield a missile (and perhaps risk a frame trap), you cannot shield razor leaf if you have any brain at all. It forces an option, like a spotdodge, jump, roll, or clank, and allows for the Ivysaur to punish any of those responses. Its a free way to force an option without even requiring a bait or well timed move.
What's un-Smash-like about Snake is his ridiculous ability with projectiles. His grenades are fine, whatever, but his missile is insane, especially as an edgeguard. Also, leaving a free upsmash on the ground so you can toss the other player into it is just silly. It doesn't require a followup, you just have to place yourself so one of your throws will roll the opponent straight onto the upsmash. What skill! What finesse! More like what ability to get a grab within a relatively large area. Or even if you hit the opponent you can hit them into it. A stray hit can lead into a free upsmash. That's unsmashlike. And Lucario wouldnt be so dumb if he didn't charge his special in a quarter of a second, or get it from hitting shields, or if his basic OHC combos took any skill. I can do his combo by connecting a dash attack, and mashing up and A. I get a free 50% from that, not to mention my special, which lets me place a slow moving death ball on the ledge as an edgeguard, again, eliminating the timing aspect and risk aspect of edgeguarding. That's unsmashlike.

3. Duly noted, my wording was subpar but you still agreed with my contention that Project: M characters have great recoveries. I never said you faked a wavedash, but it is inherently less technical to have a wider window in which to input the wavedash. Easier=less technical.

4. Most characters are "viable" now, but when the game is completed and the metagame is allowed to develop, characters with inherently better tools will rise to the top, inevitably. Imagine if Lucario players were able to perfect OHC combos off of any stray hit. That would make him insanely good, wouldn't it? Just as with Fox, he only becomes incredible when the player gets very technical and consistent. There hasn't been enough time to grow consistent enough to actually see the OP characters reach their full potential.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I'm sure that some of the

1. I didn't mean that Wolf has the literal moves of Fox and Falco, I meant that he has both the fastfaller combos of Falco and the grab/ tech chase mechanics of fox, and now he even has new options for more, easier combos. He's definitely better than fox or falco, especially when you consider his recovery.

3. Razor leaf is like a missile, except it forces an option other than shield. Whereas you can shield a missile (and perhaps risk a frame trap), you cannot shield razor leaf if you have any brain at all. It forces an option, like a spotdodge, jump, roll, or clank, and allows for the Ivysaur to punish any of those responses. Its a free way to force an option without even requiring a bait or well timed move.
What's un-Smash-like about Snake is his ridiculous ability with projectiles. His grenades are fine, whatever, but his missile is insane, especially as an edgeguard. Also, leaving a free upsmash on the ground so you can toss the other player into it is just silly. It doesn't require a followup, you just have to place yourself so one of your throws will roll the opponent straight onto the upsmash. What skill! What finesse! More like what ability to get a grab within a relatively large area. Or even if you hit the opponent you can hit them into it. A stray hit can lead into a free upsmash. That's unsmashlike. And Lucario wouldnt be so dumb if he didn't charge his special in a quarter of a second, or get it from hitting shields, or if his basic OHC combos took any skill. I can do his combo by connecting a dash attack, and mashing up and A. I get a free 50% from that, not to mention my special, which lets me place a slow moving death ball on the ledge as an edgeguard, again, eliminating the timing aspect and risk aspect of edgeguarding. That's unsmashlike.

3. Duly noted, my wording was subpar but you still agreed with my contention that Project: M characters have great recoveries. I never said you faked a wavedash, but it is inherently less technical to have a wider window in which to input the wavedash. Easier=less technical.

4. Most characters are "viable" now, but when the game is completed and the metagame is allowed to develop, characters with inherently better tools will rise to the top, inevitably. Imagine if Lucario players were able to perfect OHC combos off of any stray hit. That would make him insanely good, wouldn't it? Just as with Fox, he only becomes incredible when the player gets very technical and consistent. There hasn't been enough time to grow consistent enough to actually see the OP characters reach their full potential.
1. I still disagree. Falco could just rack up a ton of damage with shine-dairs. Easier, safer combos? Wolf doesn't even have a sex kick. I guess it remains to be seen who is the best spacie, but I'm not the only one who thinks Wolf isn't the best. Again, his laser is a lot harder to use effectively than Falco's.

3 (1). You're greatly exaggerating how effective Ivysaur is. It's possible to avoid being hit by Razor Leaf without getting subsequently wrecked. Your mentality of "Smash-like" is too narrow. I know it's a very subjective matter, but just because something hasn't previously been in Smash doesn't mean it can't be well-implemented to become Smash-like. Snake may have lots of useful options, but he's still harder to be good with than Falco and Sheik. Also, Lucario isn't that dumb. He could be outplayed by anyone with competent SDI or punishes. Lucario particularly has trouble with characters that can punish with crouch cancel. His reliance on dash attack (usually if he doesn't have a charge) to start combos makes him fairly predictable in that one aspect, too. His combos aren't as easy to maintain (against human players) as you think. Again, just learn how to play matchups before you complain that things are overpowered.

3 (2). No, easier does not equal less technical. Look up "technical" in the dictionary. Technicality is a measure of detail, not difficulty. Lifting a boulder could be difficult without being technical. Low-level addition could be technical without being difficult. I used "wavedash" as an example because you said something about being falsely technical, which is bullcrap.

4. Nobody doubted that some characters will ultimately be better than others. That's just the price for character variety. However, you think Melee is better balanced than Project M, which is not true. A game with mostly viable characters (several of which, according to you, are overpowered) is still better balanced than a game with proportionally few viable characters that are all considered overpowered compared to the majority of the rest of the cast.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Yeeeaaaaahh, I kinda hope they make the recoveries a little less sweet-spot ready. I do think that allowing a larger window for wave dashing is fine, just until they get the engine further modified to allow for proper frame windows.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
Ok, here's the thing about the tech skill. All physics and movement currently take effect 1 frame late. This is unintended, is a known bug, and is listed as a known bug in the P:M forums, and it ends up causing a lot of "problems". For example, it increases the time before any character enters the air by 1 frame, meaning you have an extra frame to let go of jump for a short hop, you have an extra frame before you can air dodge into the ground for wave dashing, this may even cause an extra frame before you enter a grounded state but I'm unsure of that (if true it would cause an extra frame for L-cancelling, teching, and wave landing). Considering how much those techs affect gameplay it does seem to make everything 1 frame easier. So, P:M does have easier tech skill, but it isn't intended and is the result of a bug. The PMBR did not create more leeway to create the illusion of being more technical. So, please, JKJ, before you spout random nonsense about P:M and why tech skill is easier, please try to be more informed.

Now, there may be, and probably are, problems other than tech skill being easier because of this 1 frame delay. I can't think of any significant problems this would cause at this moment, but I haven't played Smash at a competitive level for nearly as long as most of you, so you may have an easier time coming up with the possible effects of all physics/movement occurring 1 frame late. I guess it should also be noted that while the PMBR doesn't currently have a fix for this, they have stated that it is their intention to fix it if possible.

ShadoWPassoS

Smash Apprentice
I would like that in PM falco lasers could be stopped by marth's sword (LoL ^^). Old melee cast getting new moves, not just (let's port exaclty how they were in melee).

And the knockback still feels weird.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
How is SD Remix anyway? I heard they have a pretty good Roy.
Anyway, it's really hard to complain about Project M when most of the engine flaws are a result of Brawl being the base engine. Before anyone brings up, "They should have modded Melee", remember; despite being the less competitive game, Brawl had character variety. Many of the characters in Brawl had incredible potential for a fast paced Melee like game, but were put in a very restrictive environment. Outside of that, Brawl is a game with so much untapped potential and content; it would be an absolute shame to just mod Melee due to having the fast paced engine instead of striving to recreate it for the riches in Music, Characters etc. found within Brawl.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I was involved with Brawl+ when it was being made. The way that game turned out, the devs eventually started ignoring community input and it died completely shortly afterword. As well as Melee having such a strong community and Smash 4 coming out soon, I'm not interested in involving myself with a similar project before its completion.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
what the hell, i was always sure brawl+ died because of updates coming out the wazoo

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I strongly contest the claim that PM is more "auto-combo friendly" than Melee. The assertion is ridiculous and I believe it comes from a poor interpretation of analyzing melee's entire cast rather than melee's viable cast.

The viable cast by general consensus includes: Fox, Falco, Sheik, Jiggs, Marth, Peach, Captain Falcon, and potentially Ice Climbers. In that cast, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach, and the Captain have what you would consider "autocombos" (6/8, where Jiggs has autocombos on spacies and IC have weird unintuitive combos on everyone). I define "auto" here to mean best option moves that have followup bread and butter combos that work against the majority of the cast (minus floaties).

You can argue that these combos require finagling and creative use of the in game engine to even "invent" them, and that they aren't "auto". For instance, Fox and Falco require complex use of shines and wavedashes, Peach requires Float cancel aerial techniques, Cfalcon requires perfect spaced SHFFLs in order to turn 2 hit linkages into actual combos that carry opponents off the stage. That point is true––it took the metagame time to develop to where it is for us to invent those techniques to create true combos. But we have to remember––the metagame for Project M does not start at ground zero. It starts with the ingenuity we have all developed in the melee universe, which to be honest HELPS A LOT. It makes many strings look like autocombos because we are now adept at looking at a raw tool set and inventing the best followups on the fly.

For example, Falco auto combos dairs into dairs into uptilts or shines into dairs. Wolf on the other hand seems to always have 3 aerial moves that lead to different follow ups paths. You might think the fact that wolf players are always able to chase opponents on shines and send them wherever the wolf player desires is an example of "autocombos," however, the reason those options are open to us is because we know how to wavedash out of shine and get back into the air to do those followups. If anything, Wolf is a harder to use deeper spacie because you are always confused on what your best aerial option is (fair, nair, uair, or dair reset).

As far as the "vs spacies" game goes, name me a top tier melee character that didn't auto combo fox and falco.

Then we have the argument that "its stupid the grab game is also free combos". Again, stop looking at ness/kirby/link from Melee and start looking at the top tier. Who had percent dependent grab followups on most of the non-floatie cast in Melee?
Free grab followups: Sheik, ICs, Cfalcon, Fox
Based on Reads/DI: Marth, Falco
Kill throws: Peach
Free On Spacies: All of them.

That means roughly 6/8's of the cast had combo follow ups of which 50% had reliable follow ups on certain percents that were "inescapable". I don't think these percentages have changed all that much in PM, with the exception that certain characters have been given a better grab game to make a playstyle viable that could not possibly exist in Melee (Link for instance has a MUCH better grab game because without it, a "keep out projectile using ultra defensive character" might not have effective tools to keep fast opponents out of his face). I'll wager that 75% (6/8) of PM's cast have reliable grab followups, that 1/8 have "kill throws", and that most/all can **** up spacies on grabs just like Melee's viable cast. I'll also wager almost all of them are just as bad at comboing floaties out of grabs.

Rather, the PM developers have been awesome enough to give us movement tools that make combos less autocombo and more creative.
I've seen so many cool Charizard aerial followup combos with his fly ability, or Snake combos with his upb, Ivysaur combos that involve daring usage of his momentum changing uairs and dairs, Ness/ Lucas combos that **** with his aerial magnets. I've seen such intelligent usage of Pit's glide and arrows, DK's roll attack, Ike's Quickdraw walljumps, and pretty much other play that really has so much potential to get better. Criticism's of PM's imperfect coding or physics may be warranted. Same with the strength of the recoveries. But the autocombo complaint is just silly.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I know they still have some buggy Down Throws; but that's kind of a Brawl thing.(Have hope Sheik mains) I also think it would be better to keep the top tiers as they are. Adding changes that change the play style of already dynamic characters just doesn't seem justifiable. One COULD give Falco his Brawl recovery, but that would put him in the "Demo Sonic" Tier, and he'd lose that gamble based mindset one has when using him.( Note: Changing Project M Sonic's play style is fine, don't nerf him to Davey Jone's; I just want a moveset without to much "Spin Win" potential.)

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I don't know what down throw bugs you are talking about. Shiek's down throw in Melee in beyond stupid on a character with already so many tools. Now, her down throw is still good without being silly and has many guaranteed followups/reads. Most people still consider Sheik one of the best characters in the game.

As far as the changing Melee vets, there isn't too much desire to do so. However, some people would like to change some of the sillier character designs (fox usmash, falco dair) but that argument is always extensive with opinions on both sides (The "Fox/falco should be changed" thread was one of the most posted in topics with strong opinions from top players on all sides).

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what down throw bugs you are talking about
Well there's this from the known bugs thread:
"A couple down throws use slightly modified knockback stats from Melee so they will induce tumble at 0 damage, as down throws tumble regardless of knockback in Melee."

Not sure if that's what he's talking about however. Definitely has nothing to do with Sheik as that change was completely intentional.

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
Guess I'll just reiterate some things others have said.

1. I can't properly shield with L and wavedash with R. This mechanic has one of my most important movement options out the window.

2. Recoveries are too good. All of Melee's commonly used characters (and even many mid-low tier ones) except for Jigglypuff are very edgeguardable. Most of them have downright bad recoveries that only appear okay because years have been put into mastering all of the ways to mix them up.

3. I learned my lesson with Ike. No longer spending time on learning characters that are subject to big changes. I'm just gonna play the Melee ones that are going to stay roughly the same.

4. I don't really like the design strategy of assigning particular individuals to characters. I think there needs to be larger subteams working on each character.

5. Too many auto combos. In Melee there really aren't THAT many auto combos. It's just Sheik stuff on floaties, Fox waveshine, and obviously death combos on spacies. In PM it's like if ROB grabs you, you're screwed. If Bowser grabs you, you're screwed. If DK grabs you, you're screwed. etc. There's a lot less room for DI'ing out of stuff. On a similar note, I'm going to echo Cactuar's complaint which is that it seems like too many combos were designed to work.
Yes, too many guaranteed followups imo. Completely agree with recoveries as well, it feels way too forgiving to get back to the ledge and makes the game way less exciting when most characters cant even be rewarded for off the stage gimps or edge-guards.

Additionally the game just doesn't have the solid "heft" to it that melee does. I know you guys looked at frame data, but I think you would've been better off designing a new game with a new engine from the ground up instead of basing it off a bad game to begin with.

I know the meta-game is still young but it just feels like there's a lot more cheap BS in this game than melee. I almost never get frustrated playing melee (except against peach/samus maybe), but in this game almost every time I play I want to throw the wii out the window. So many fast kill moves out of grabs or techs (wario - side B), spammable moves with odd properties (squirtle bubble thing). I dunno it just feels like a broken mess at the moment. I know many characters in melee aren't viable, but among the top the matches feel pretty good for the most part.

Make a new game with your team and quit putting so much time into a game that was broken to begin with. I, and many other smash players will gladly pay for a proper follow-up to melee.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. Airdash online is a game that a few smashers are involved with.. which is built from the ground up, perhaps we'll see some cool stuff.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
i just prefer melee's aesthetics way more than brawl's. the character designs in brawl look dumb to me. and the colors are too bland. its enough to make me prefer melee overall. of course it also has more fluid and dynamic feeling gameplay but really it just looks better to me as well

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
Well.. Airdash online is a game that a few smashers are involved with.. which is built from the ground up, perhaps we'll see some cool stuff.
I've read the game uses digital controls. They're pretty much shooting themselves in the foot if they want the game to play like melee if they don't make analog control central to the game. I don't have much faith they'll get it right unfortunately.

It's weird, there are hundreds if not thousands of fighting games all made in the mold of the street fighter with the same controls and rules, but as far as good platform fighting games go, we pretty much just have melee. If a team were to make a game just like melee with different characters and stuff, it would get bad press for being a "smash clone" and yet a new streetfighter derivative or run of the mill shooter comes out every month and nobody raises an eyebrow.

All I want is a new game with the same mechanics as melee (maybe even broadened a bit) with great online play with rankings and such. This is my dream game

Zodiac

Smash Master
Project M was cool for a couple years, I am kinda bored with it now though.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
<i>I know the meta-game is still young but it just feels like there's a lot more cheap BS in this game than melee. I almost never get frustrated playing melee (except against peach/samus maybe), but in this game almost every time I play I want to throw the wii out the window. So many fast kill moves out of grabs or techs (wario - side B), spammable moves with odd properties (squirtle bubble thing). I dunno it just feels like a broken mess at the moment. I know many characters in melee aren't viable, but among the top the matches feel pretty good for the most part.
</i>

You sound like someone who enjoys playing 8 matchups, and on occasion, more than that because it takes too much time to contend with a full cast. I understand that and that is one of the drawbacks of having a fleshed out large cast––you have to LEARN matchups and if you don't know them then it feels like a "broken mess". But I hope you realize there is nothing broken about the moves you have mentioned.

The most spammeable "broken feeling" projectile in the smash universe is undoubtedly melee falco's laser. Wario's side b meanwhile allows for a horizontal momentum move on a character with very little ground momentum. This is what we call, complex and interesting character design.

In short, your arguments remind me of what a scrub says when he faces something new. "Hadoken just seems broken." There is nothing in PM that is any more ridiculous than the most heinous moves in Melee (Fox's usmash, Falco dair, Shine, Falco laser). Everything is actually a fair bit weaker than those things and have been balanced with risks and rewards. I think your auto-combos assessment is being dismissive without a real basis of an argument.

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand about the people complaining about "constant" updates to Project M. I play Project M a good bit and I can't wait for new versions! I love having a game made better / changed while I'm playing it. Do you not play any online games? Cuz all of those are changed constantly (for better or worse). Dota and LoL are pretty much the Gold Standard for competitive gaming at the moment and aren't they patched more often than Project M? Melee is a fantastic game but it's ludicrous to think that it couldn't be improved upon. I'd love it if Melee were patched, heck I'd love it if Brawl were patched. Oh and one huuuuuge difference is you can give the developers for this game real feedback that is taken to account. It's not just an eccentric developer who errs on the more casual side of things. They also don't seem to make rash decisions and analyze things pretty well. That matters a good deal to me.

Also it seems like a lot of people complaining about broken stuff have barely tried the game out. Look at how much "broken stuff" is in the Marvel vs Capcom series. Every new character I try against my friends they feel is "broken" yet other people call their character broken. That to me means makes it pretty balanced. :) The "learn the matchup" argument goes both ways.

Project M is off to a great start and I think if Brawl were anywhere close to how good it is, most of us would not have looked back at Melee.

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
<i>I know the meta-game is still young but it just feels like there's a lot more cheap BS in this game than melee. I almost never get frustrated playing melee (except against peach/samus maybe), but in this game almost every time I play I want to throw the wii out the window. So many fast kill moves out of grabs or techs (wario - side B), spammable moves with odd properties (squirtle bubble thing). I dunno it just feels like a broken mess at the moment. I know many characters in melee aren't viable, but among the top the matches feel pretty good for the most part.
</i>

You sound like someone who enjoys playing 8 matchups, and on occasion, more than that because it takes too much time to contend with a full cast. I understand that and that is one of the drawbacks of having a fleshed out large cast––you have to LEARN matchups and if you don't know them then it feels like a "broken mess". But I hope you realize there is nothing broken about the moves you have mentioned.

The most spammeable "broken feeling" projectile in the smash universe is undoubtedly melee falco's laser. Wario's side b meanwhile allows for a horizontal momentum move on a character with very little ground momentum. This is what we call, complex and interesting character design.

In short, your arguments remind me of what a scrub says when he faces something new. "Hadoken just seems broken." There is nothing in PM that is any more ridiculous than the most heinous moves in Melee (Fox's usmash, Falco dair, Shine, Falco laser). Everything is actually a fair bit weaker than those things and have been balanced with risks and rewards. I think your auto-combos assessment is being dismissive without a real basis of an argument.
complex and interesting character design my ass. If your character has a bad tech roll then you're just going to eat that move every single time and die or nearly die at as low as 70%. You're right, I haven't played the game as extensively as melee, but I don't remember being nearly as frustrated with melee at the beginning either. Also you mention some of falco's moves being broken, but the character as a whole is even more broken in PM than melee so I don't see how things have been "balanced with risks and rewards".

The_NZA

Smash Lord
At the beginning of melee you probably sucked and played bad people. In PM your friends are probably better at punishing mistakes and they are exploiting you in situations you can likely avoid. But the best part of PM: go post on the forums showing which character you were and why you get 100% hit by warios forward b after a throw and die at 70% (DI???) and maybe the developers will fix it.

Also, I don't know what you are talking about in regards to Falco. There isn't anything about him more broken in PM than in Melee.

Top Bottom