• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your reaction to the reveal of Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3CC

Smash Lord
At first, when I saw her, I was like "Oh okay... I don't know who the heck she is, but I've heard her name and apparently many people want her, so I guess this is nice... Wait, doesn't she look too much like Marth?" and then when I saw Sakurai's post about her being a clone, now I'm like "Okay, this sucks".

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Yeah, I'm really glad they added it in. It's the small stuff that counts.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
At first, when I saw her, I was like "Oh okay... I don't know who the heck she is, but I've heard her name and apparently many people want her, so I guess this is nice... Wait, doesn't she look too much like Marth?" and then when I saw Sakurai's post about her being a clone, now I'm like "Okay, this sucks".
You do realize that clone characters are good when done right and they are in moderation, right? Besides, lucina does take her father's fight style, so she's just a clone of a clone, if that makes sense.

C3CC

Smash Lord
You do realize that clone characters are good when done right and they are in moderation, right? Besides, lucina does take her father's fight style, so she's just a clone of a clone, if that makes sense.
I don't know; I'd prefer her to be a completely different character, even if it makes sense for her to be a Marth clone because that's the role she plays in her game. I just feel she wasn't necessary. Only Robin would have been ok, methinks.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Roy fans deserve to have "a say" (read: to share their opinions), as do all fans of cut characters. However, this does not entitle them (not pointing at anyone in particular; just speaking generally) to bash the director or flame fans of other characters that are introduced in lieu of their cut character (or vice versa - suffice it to say that flaming is a no-no).

Roy was *most likely* cut because of time constraints and now that it's 2014, Roy's relevance has diminished and Lucina's has risen exponentially. It makes perfect sense that Roy was not brought back. As for her being a clone, there are several other reasons why she plays the way that she does that don't have anything to do with giving Roy fans the middle finger.
There is also something else that I want to point out.

The owners of the characters have a say in the matter as well. Just like Sakurai's job is too seek out potential candidates, the parties involved will want to have their characters participating as well. If we put ourselves in the shoes of Intelligent Systems, it seems reasonable. If I were them, would I want a character of mine who hasn't been in his own game for over 10 years, wasn't even in the last Smash and is just not as relevant nowadays to be chosen over my other character whose last appearance was in my most recent, successful game and ranked high in popularity among fans? No, of course I wouldn't want that. Which is why is natural from their point of view to give permission for Lucina to appear in Smash. People need to think about that before throwing accusations to Sakurai for not giving them Roy.

I'm neutral towards him, but I since he was a clone of Marth I believe that Lucina will be able to fill that gap nicely. It also seems kinda hypocritical from some people to want him, a clone character, yet berate Lucina for being just that.

I don't know; I'd prefer her to be a completely different character, even if it makes sense for her to be a Marth clone because that's the role she plays in her game. I just feel she wasn't necessary. Only Robin would have been ok, methinks.
True, she wasn't necessary and Robin brings A LOT more to the table. But just like some other newcomers, she is gravy, icing on the cake, therefore is nice to have her. The alternative would be just not have her at all, and I think most can agree that that is never the best option.

As for my reaction on this trailer I shouted of excitement (prolly woke up the neighbors). Lucina and Robin are two welcome additions.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I still can't believe she's actually in it. I'm so excited! OMG!! ^_^

Lol. Sorry. Had to get it out. xD She just seemed so incredibly unlikely, that I didn't even think she had a chance. =(

Booster

Smash Lord
Let's take my reaction from earlier to Chrom being de****ed (It's like Debunked but it applies to a character people wanted and not a piece of **** like Wii Fit Trainer), Lucina and Robin usurping his rightful spot and Shulk not being confirmed, but add a few more no's to the mix, just to give you guys a choice in the matter of how you perceive my reaction ;)

Darth Vader No http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Spike the Dragon No http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHv9acm3fF0

Dr Robotnik No (The only one I could find with just "NO" in it is a 10 minute reloop, just listen for a few seconds) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahSCKmJAQY

Nostalgia Critic No http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOxt9PoJNkg

Eric Cartman No http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVt4RY5Kho0

Let's pretend Derrick is Nintendo for this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3ey6qWlBs (Yeah I know this isn't a "No" scene, but this scene is too classic and obscure to pass up)

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
I don't get all the clone-********. My favorite FE-character was confirmed. And she looks like she'll be a better clone than Roy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think it was inevitable that it would be added. Always insane attention to detail in this game. That's why Mother Brain has her Rinkas.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yeah, I love the attention to detail Sakurai and Sora Ltd have with Smash Bros games.
Otherwise the game would probably have day one DLC on the disc.
The game is not out yet, it could pretty much have day one DLC on the disc, for what is worth.

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
I was too mesmerized by Captain Falcon owning Chrom to really register what was happening and ended up laughing my ass off through most of the video

In the end though I was mostly surprised that they'd pick two FE characters from Awakening and was concerned they were doing too much and taking time away from more deserving characters. But then it was revealed that she was a clone and thus mostly likely just a quick, last-minute thing so I was okay with it.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Not last minute since the roster was finalized before development even started I believe, more like Couldn't come up with a moveset/Ran out of time to make a moveset

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
According to CawEvolution on Gamefaqs. He found info on Japanese bulletin boards.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsp5iI2CUAA478W.jpg

1. Lucina was originally included as a Marth skin.
2. “A certain character” was cut during development. (Chrom? Who knows. It's not clarified.)
3. Sakurai didn’t want to reduce the total number of characters.
4. It wasn’t possible to make a brand new character on short notice.
5. Lucina was repurposed into her own character slot to fill the void.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69658047

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Well look at that, Gematsu is still alive as ever, with even the chrom inconsistency quickly explained.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
According to CawEvolution on Gamefaqs. He found info on Japanese bulletin boards.

2. “A certain character” was cut during development. (Chrom? Who knows. It's not clarified.)

I have a hard time believing she ever was a marth skin, I've said this way too many times but Lucina is not Marth

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I have a hard time believing she ever was a marth skin, I've said this way too many times but Lucina is not Marth
Lucina is not Marth, I agree. But it might have played off as an easy way to include a popular character and at least it pokes fun at canon when Lucina pretends to be him, albeit taking after her father's fighting style.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Lucina is not Marth, I agree. But it might have played off as an easy way to include a popular character and at least it pokes fun at canon when Lucina pretends to be him, albeit taking after her father's fighting style.
I dunno I just hate the idea of alternate costumes being different characters

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
And for all we know, it may have been "Masked Marth" that was the true alternate of Marth back then, since that was shown to be Lucina's alt in the scans in the other thread.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

But wasn't the roster finalized before development even started and if the character was chrom I see no reason why he would've been cut

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
The Roster was decided from the start of development, but clones could still get in at later periods of time as they have in the past.

I think Robin was selected form the get go, and maybe Chrom/Lucina could have been planned either as assists, Final Smashes, or costumes for Marth.

Eventually though they probably found the extra time to include one of them as a full character clone, probably at the behest of Intelligent Systems, or just for fanservice. I'm glad they picked Lucina for that, need more non-princessy female characters.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The cut character might have been Snake. He probably was planned for the game but Konami either didn't bother to re-license him or they said no.

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet
She really look like a bonus character like Assassin/Berserker/Lizardman in Soul Calibur 2. A character who's basically another one already existing but with (really)few changes. She's basically fanservice at this point. I think all characters are done at this point and this kind of clones are just (really appreciated) fanservice.

I mean, come on, Fire Emblem is probably my favorite Nintendo license but they don't deserve 4 representant in smash. I could definitevely see a couple other characters like her, like maybe a Punch-out character (Glass Joe? Doc Louis?),a F-Zero one(The bad guy? I don't know much of F-Zero), Dixie, Louie... They could also but a Roy/Pichu move too for an upcoming game...

Also, I'm pretty sure we're going to have a bunch of those characters with DLC, along cut veteran(I'm watching you Roy/Mewtwo/Squirtle/Ivysaur and other Brawl's one).

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
She really look like a bonus character like Assassin/Berserker/Lizardman in Soul Calibur 2. A character who's basically another one already existing but with (really)few changes. She's basically fanservice at this point. I think all characters are done at this point and this kind of clones are just (really appreciated) fanservice.

I mean, come on, Fire Emblem is probably my favorite Nintendo license but they don't deserve 4 representant in smash. I could definitevely see a couple other characters like her, like maybe a Punch-out character (Glass Joe? Doc Louis?),a F-Zero one(The bad guy? I don't know much of F-Zero), Dixie, Louie... They could also but a Roy/Pichu move too for an upcoming game...

Also, I'm pretty sure we're going to have a bunch of those characters with DLC, along cut veteran(I'm watching you Roy/Mewtwo/Squirtle/Ivysaur and other Brawl's one).
I think FE does deserve 4 characters simply because of how many games it has but whatever

fe_wander

Smash Cadet

I kind of wonder if Nintendo might be trying to push Fire Emblem into being one of its bigger franchises. It does appeal to a different demographic than Mario/Pokemon games, after all.
Regardless, I'm happy it got four reps as its my favorite series, but I agree three would make more sense, even given Awakening's relative success.

Also, the recent scans prove Lucina was a very last minute addition, so good call, OP!

Last edited:

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet
I kind of wonder if Nintendo might be trying to push Fire Emblem into bigger one of its bigger franchises. It does appeal to a different demographic than Mario games, after all.
Regardless, I'm happy it got four reps as its my favorite series, but I agree three would make more sense, even given Awakening's relative success.

Also, the recent scans prove Lucina was a very last minute addition, so good call, OP!
Yeah, 10 representant would be a dream for me, and I pretty sure Nintendo is trying to make FE one of its big franchise too, with the upcoming FE X SMT it's definitvely an option.

Sours

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8138-7678
"Why is Sakurai putting a clone in Smash, there were never clones in Smash before"

:falco::toonlink::lucas:

Wait... Something here is not right.

Just deal with it. Lucina is in. She is a clone, but an amazing clone. Chrom would also be a clone and a lot of people wanted him nway.
You forgot :ganondorf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom