• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your reaction to the reveal of Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
You guys can't even single Roy out for appearing in Awakening (as DLC). Almost every Lord in the series history was featured with updated art. Many of those characters were never even seen in the west. Roy was just appearing alongside his fellow lords. It had nothing to do with being a fan favorite. Now, one of the DLC's do acknowledge Roy's placement in smash, but they do the same with Ike and Marth. Really, from what I can see, only smash fans care about Roy anymore.

Out of curiosity, who here has even played Sword of Seals?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You guys can't even single Roy out for appearing in Awakening (as DLC). Almost every Lord in the series history was featured with updated art. Many of those characters were never even seen in the west. Roy was just appearing alongside his fellow lords. It jad nothing to do with being a fan favorite. Now, one of the DLC's do acknowledge Roy's placement in smash, but they do the same with Ike and Marth. Really, from what I can see, only smash fans care about Roy anymore.

Does it even matter who has played the game? Roy's first appearance was in Smash Bros before he even appeared in his own game. It hardly means anything to ask that question to a bunch of people who were exposed to the series through Smash Bros to begin with. Does that not have any weight towards him deserving a place in the game at all? You all keep saying Ike took what was special about the character away, but I don't see Ike on MY mains list. Do you? What does that tell you? I'm not satisfied with his "replacement". Fire Emblem fan or not, Melee fans have just as much a say as anyone else does.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
You guys can't even single Roy out for appearing in Awakening (as DLC). Almost every Lord in the series history was featured with updated art. Many of those characters were never even seen in the west. Roy was just appearing alongside his fellow lords. It jad nothing to do with being a fan favorite. Now, one of the DLC's do acknowledge Roy's placement in smash, but they do the same with Ike and Marth. Really, from what I can see, only smash fans care about Roy anymore.

I actually just finished it this weekend after an off-and-on playthrough spanning about 6 years. But, I probably should say that I was interested in playing it because I am a Roy main. I'm not that big of a Fire Emblem fan. Though, I might play through Awakening because of Robin and Lucina's announcement.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
So Melee fans don't get a say anymore? Mkay, I get your angle. I guess Melee fans don't deserve a say if they aren't directly Fire Emblem fans. I'm so sorry for having an opinion about a character I enjoy. I'm such a bad fan.
OK, so I'm debating with someone who doesn't even play or remotely cared about Fire Emblem who believes Roy is still relevant enough to be in Smash and Ike isn't. :joyful:

I played the emulator version. :awesome:

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Does it even matter who has played the game? Roy's first appearance was in Smash Bros before he even appeared in his own game. It hardly means anything to ask that question to a bunch of people who were exposed to the series through Smash Bros to begin with. Does that not have any weight towards him deserving a place in the game at all? You all keep saying Ike took what was special about the character away, but I don't see Ike on MY mains list. Do you? What does that tell you? I'm not satisfied with his "replacement". Fire Emblem fan or not, Melee fans have just as much a say as anyone else does.
Now you're just raving.

Sure, you have a right to voice your opinions and wishlists. But you don't have a say. Sakurai, Sora, Nintendo, and affiliates have the say. The masses choosing of popular characters carries weight, but it doesn't always matter. IS had not brought back Roy in over ten years. They put him in melee as a glorified advertisement. His time is over, done, finished. Only in Awakening, the game that was celebrating its franchise's history before possibly ending forever, did Roy finally get to return. As DLC. In art made up to look like a mercenary unit from the game proper. Amongst hundreds of other characters from the series history.

You guys are not the masses and Roy is not popular with the masses. Maybe Roy will come back as DLC. It's about all he does these days.

Also, the reason I ask if anyone has played Roy's game is to determine what you are actually attached to. You clearly don't care about the character from the series, you just want the marth knock off with the fiery sword. I'm sorry, but I don't see it happening.

To those who have finished FE6, I am jealous. My ROM got corrupted and I couldn't finish. Grrrr.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Also, the reason I ask if anyone has played Roy's game is to determine what you are actually attached to. You clearly don't care about the character from the series, you just want the marth knock off with the fiery sword. I'm sorry, but I don't see it happening.
This.
Case closed. :smash:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I've been told Roy was removed because of time constraints numerous times and recently I've been told by Roy fans that he was removed because he was a clone. Which is true?

Either way, Roy not being back is 100% expected and anyone who did expect him was very misguided IMO.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I've been told Roy was removed because of time constraints numerous and recently I've been told by Roy fans that he was removed because he was a clone. Which is true?
We don't know. There's never been any official word on it AFAIK.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I've been told Roy was removed because of time constraints numerous times and recently I've been told by Roy fans that he was removed because he was a clone. Which is true?

Either way, Roy not being back is 100% expected and anyone who did expect him was very misguided IMO.
Either way, they don't care about him enough.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Warning Received
OK, so I'm debating with someone who doesn't even play or remotely cared about Fire Emblem who believes Roy is still relevant enough to be in Smash and Ike isn't.
Now you're just raving.

Sure, you have a right to voice your opinions and wishlists. But you don't have a say. Sakurai, Sora, Nintendo, and affiliates have the say. The masses choosing of popular characters carries weight, but it doesn't always matter. IS has not brought back Roy in over ten years. They put him in melee as a glorified advertisement. His time is over, done, finished. Only in Awakening, the game that was celebrating its franchise history before possibly ending forever, did Roy finally get to return. As DLC. In art made up to look like a mercenary unit from the game proper. Amongst hundreds of other characters from the series history.

You guys are not the masses and Roy is not popular with the masses. Maybe Roy will come back as DLC. It's about all he does these days.

You're both hilarious. I never once said I did not remotely care about Fire Emblem. And you're both idiotic to believe Melee fans don't have a say. This also proves that neither of you have been reading my statements all the way through either.

And to answer your question, I've only just recently invested into the FE series. If not for that fact, I wouldn't have even known the references being made towards Robin and item durability, or anything he does for that matter. And from a FE perspective, I very much appreciate that they keep the character true to his series. He is likely to be a character I play.
What does that tell you? I've taken the time to try and invest into this series to actually have an opinion. The problem is that I haven't had the money to do so. But just because I'm not religiously following Fire Emblem does not mean I'm not entitled to an opinion of what I want to see in Smash 4. You guys need to get off your high horses.

Either way, they don't care about him enough.
And the fact you say this just proves you were just aiming to start an argument with Roy enthusiasts who dare speak ill of your waifu.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
If we don't know then I don't see at all how Lucina's inclusion is a kick in the face to Roy fans. :p Especially considering that time constraints, given that files of his were in Brawl, is the more likely reasoning. They wanted a Marth clone with a slightly different playstyle and they got one, only this one is far more relevant and interesting. I'm confused I guess. :p

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Basically my reaction was, "Awesome." I like Lucina more than Chrom as a character from what I've seen of her (I haven't beat Awakening), and she looks like the closest thing I'm going to get to Roy's playstyle returning in an official build of Smash. Plus, it's kind of gratifying to beat people up as a female character.

To throw fire onto the Roy debate, I really want him back, but I know it's not happening unless he gets added as DLC with a new moveset (I know I'd pay for it). I'm not deluding myself into believing he's likely; we have our Marth clone in Lucina. That said, I'm still a big Roy fan because I liked him in Smash, but I know that he's very unpopular in the FE fanbase.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Warning Received
You're both hilarious. I never once said I did not remotely care about Fire Emblem. And you're both idiotic to believe Melee fans don't have a say. This also proves that neither of you have been reading my statements all the way through either.

What does that tell you? I've taken the time to try and invest into this series to actually have an opinion. The problem is that I haven't had the money to do so. But just because I'm not religiously following Fire Emblem does not mean I'm not entitled to an opinion of what I want to see in Smash 4. You guys need to get off your high horses.

And the fact you say this just proves you were just aiming to start an argument with Roy enthusiasts who dare speak ill of your waifu.
Obviously didn't care enough to play a Fire Emblem game. Your opinion is irrelevant. :joyful:
And you're the only one getting mad here, you said so yourself.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Alright, prove to me that melee fans have any say in character selection. Until then, I'll continue to make you laugh.(@ Solbliminal Solbliminal )

Also, if Roy did come back, I demand recognition of his potential status as quarter dragon. If it's not there, he's not my Roy. EliwoodxNinian 4ever.

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
Alright, prove to me that melee fans have any say in character selection. Until then, I'll continue to make you laugh.(@ Solbliminal Solbliminal )

Also, if Roy did come back, I demand recognition of his potential status as quarter dragon. If it's not there, he's not my Roy. EliwoodxNinian 4ever.
Not to deviate from Lucina (although I totally am) but I didn't realize Ninian was only half-dragon. Oops. :facepalm:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I know I already posted here, but this is my new reaction:

A character that plays similar to Marth without the "Tip of the Blade" Gimic? :4lucina:, hello new main!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Obviously didn't care enough to play a Fire Emblem game. Your opinion is irrelevant. :joyful:
And you're the only one getting mad here, you said so yourself.
Funny. Because I just told you twice that I did play a Fire Emblem game. So you just look like an idiot at this point. But go ahead and keep acting the way you are. It is degrading to your status as a human being.

I've already said through my many posts why. But if you want a good reason for why we deserve to have a say, without our Melee you wouldn't have your precious Fire Emblem localized.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Funny. Because I just told you twice that I did play a Fire Emblem game. So you just look like an idiot at this point. But go ahead and keep acting the way you are. It is degrading to your status as a human being.

I've already said through my many posts why. But if you want a good reason for why we deserve to have a say, without our Melee you wouldn't have your precious Fire Emblem localized.
Except being a fan of Melee had no merits on what character got in. You act as though Melee fans are the only reason Marth got in Melee in the first place.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Except being a fan of Melee had no merits on what character got in. You act as though Melee fans are the only reason Marth got in Melee in the first place.
No. I do not act as if Melee fans are the only reason they got in. But Melee is the reason the series got localized. And liking a character from a previous installment does merit a reason for a character to return.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Roy fans deserve to have "a say" (read: to share their opinions), as do all fans of cut characters. However, this does not entitle them (not pointing at anyone in particular; just speaking generally) to bash the director or flame fans of other characters that are introduced in lieu of their cut character (or vice versa - suffice it to say that flaming is a no-no).

Roy was *most likely* cut because of time constraints and now that it's 2014, Roy's relevance has diminished and Lucina's has risen exponentially. It makes perfect sense that Roy was not brought back. As for her being a clone, there are several other reasons why she plays the way that she does that don't have anything to do with giving Roy fans the middle finger.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
No. I do not act as if Melee fans are the only reason they got in. But Melee is the reason the series got localized. And liking a character from a previous installment does merit a reason for a character to return.
That is extremely egotistical. Liking a character period merits reasons for characters to be in the game. People liked Pichu, should Pichu return as a playable character?

Liking a character does not prevent them from being cut, some are easier to cut than others.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
So? I played melee then too. And without people like me Fire Emblem would be cancelled entirely.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The Roy thread is over here, folks.

On topic: Meh. More excited for Robin and the Cap'n. Doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Awakening, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Mkay you guys win. I honestly have no desire to argue. It was never an intention of mine to derail the thread topic. I simply came here to express my opinion on the topic, but it seems I'm not allowed to have one.

:roypm:

D

Deleted member

I was like ''WHAAAAAAT?!!''. I'm more excited for Captain Falcon and am interested in Robin, but I'll be trying out all characters, including Lucina, in the game to see which one is good for me.

Once again, RIP Gematsu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Mkay you guys win. I honestly have no desire to argue. It was never an intention of mine to derail the thread topic. I simply came here to express my opinion on the topic, but it seems I'm not allowed to have one.

:roypm:
My reaction was at first shock that it wasn't Shulk, then shocked it wasn't Chrom, then even more shocked that Lucina literally got added for the thing that Roy got removed for. Being a clone, and a much more uninspired one at that. And I'm not okay with that. I like Lucina and all... But if this is how Roy is going to be treated after the whole gripe of clones, then I'd rather Lucina not be added to the game at all.
It was mainly how you worded your opinion.

The bolded part also seems to show that you were the one who brought up Roy starting the whole mess.

Response to underline: Except that Lucina being a clone makes more sense than Roy.

Roy was only a clone, because of time constraints and was mainly added to advertise a game.

Lucina's moveset is based off of how she imitated Marth and is derived of his bloodline.

Why do you think :ganondorf:gets so much flak for being a clone of :falcon:?

Because it makes no sense.

Booster

Smash Lord
If Lucina is derived of Marth's bloodline, wouldn't Chrom have even MORE of that bloodline? It would explain why the two look the same

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Lucina is derived of Marth's bloodline, wouldn't Chrom have even MORE of that bloodline? It would explain why the two look the same
Of course, but Chrom never tried to impersonate Marth in the game. It also doesn't help that his body stature isn't identical to Marth as well.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
She was my most wanted Newcomer, and Mewtwo is my most wanted Veteran. Seeing Lucina appear made me smirk, not just for seeing her in the game, but for blowing a giant gaping hole in the Gematsu leak (Although Robin is the one who has him as part of his/her final smash). I'll most likely main her, especially since I used to play Marth back in Melee, so I'll know the basic idea hopefully.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom