• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your reaction to the reveal of Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually happy about chrom not being in. I may have said this in another thread, but he would just be another clone of marth or ike.
Meh I'm just jesting. My reaction was laughter afters seeing that Chrom is not playable. Lucina is a FINE replacement. Also my beard grew once I saw Captain Falcon. Robin was one of my most wanted so that was also nice. Not because I wanted him but mostly to prove my friends wrong.

EDIT
Yeah this gif sums up my reaction at the end actually. But with a beard cause by Falcon.

Last edited:

Sours

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8138-7678
Yeah, I love the attention to detail Sakurai and Sora Ltd have with Smash Bros games.

The game is not out yet, it could pretty much have day one DLC on the disc, for what is worth.
I was cracking a joke about capcom, but okay.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I thought Capcom was helping develop. And I didn't know of the Namco bandai name change :p
If Capcom was developing the game there would be a few changes.
1- No Mega Man.
2- More clones.
3- Lucina and Lucina with a Mask would be 2 separate characters.
4- Guarantee DLC. On Disc of course.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
It's basically bandai namco making the game, but it's Sakurai calling the shots basically.

Sora Ltd is basically just Sakurai and him borrowing employees for certain projects.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
At first I was like what seriously? I mean okay.
Started melting at the sight of Robin and was happy it wasn't just her thank god.
Saw her moveset and was disappointed later felt like oh okay I guess she's our Roy.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I would've canceled my pre-order if she didn't have it.

Not kidding. I was zooming in on screens the day of reveal trying to see if it was there.
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one. I was doing this too, both during the video and the gameplay. I was so happy for the confirmation.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
My friend called me during the stream and said "what even, what am I seeing THIS ISN'T SHULK."

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
The whole trailer confused the hell out of me. I was just left thinking "wait, so who's actually playable? Is Chrom playable? What? WHAT? I don't know!"

Then everything was crashed and I had to wait a full 30 minutes before any site was working for me.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
The whole trailer confused the hell out of me. I was just left thinking "wait, so who's actually playable? Is Chrom playable? What? WHAT? I don't know!"

Then everything was crashed and I had to wait a full 30 minutes before any site was working for me.
Yes I can see how you were confuse. That Chrom tagline.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
As an avid Robin supporter, I was confused when I initially saw Lucina, but was ecstatic that Robin was in. When the trailer finished, I couldn't believe that we actually got two Awakening characters. I had been hoping for months, but it was never really anything more than hope. I can't wait to have 4 player Fire Emblem smackdowns.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I was initially rather surprised when Lucina's tagline popped up. I thought that she was a really unlikely character, considering she had both Chrom and Robin as competition. Of course, once Robin was revealed I was ecstatic with the entire announcement.

Now that it's been shown that she's a character that was initially an alternate costume and was lucky enough to be made into her own character, I'm quite pleased with her inclusion. She is a pretty cool character, after all.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I was really excited when I saw that Lucina was being introduced as a new character, best reveal yet!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I was like: YESZ!
Although I was a little sad that Lucina was going to be our only FE Newcomer, then wild Robin appears, and I lost it!

ChristianPonte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChristianPonte
Prior to the reveal, everyone was saying it'd be Shulk, can't believe I bought into that, but that's who I was expecting. But I had just posted on my Twitter hours before that I was hoping for Bomberman the most, then Lucina or Chrom (in that order), and Shulk I'd be okay with. Mostly because Fire Emblem's my favorite series, and I think Lucina's a great character in general.

During the actual reveal, I think my first thought was, "Awesome, Fire Emblem!" followed by, "Sweet!! Lucina over Chrom!!" followed by, "Sucks to be Shulk!"

So I was happy it was Lucina. I always figured if it was a choice between Lucina or Chrom (which apparently it wasn't), that they'd have more of a reason to pick Lucina, despite that silly leak claiming Chrom.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
"Oh, a Fire Emblem character! I bet it's- Why is Chrom lying down? -laughs- Chrom, there's better places to t- Oh, it's Lucina! I actually wanted her in, and- I don't recognize that boot... CAPTAIN FALCON!!!1!! -spaz out-"

You can tell I like Captain Falcon.

EndlessSmash

Smash Cadet
At first when I saw Lucina get knocked by with Chrom just laying there, I didn't dare hope she would be a newcomer. This was because when I checked the smash website, the first thing I saw was a video with Robin and his tome. Instantly I thought 'this must be a video for Robin, Lucina and Chrom are just there to help lead to his intro'. Colour me completely surprised when I saw Lucina announced, I literally fanboy-ed in my head for the longest time. What added to it was Falcon's return; he is still the character I play the most.

In complete honesty, I was slightly disapointed to see Lucina sharing the same moves (albeit different attributes) as Marth, but after a small thought, I couldn't care less. It fits the lore in Awakening (imitating the hero king) and it's more elegant than seeing Chrom's brutal fighting style (in Awakening) being hammered into her playstyle.

Seeing as I modded my Marth in Project M into Lucina (and instantly becoming one of my three mains) almost half a year ago, I am completely satisfied just seeing her available in SSB4.

Edit: I watched the trailer for a good hour when it first came out just because Lucina and Falcon were going at it. She got manhandled hard.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At first, I thought there was going to be a catch to her because of the question mark in her tag line.

Then when I saw her gameplay, she played exactly like Marth, and since she didn't look any different from the trailer, I assumed she was "a newcomer implemented as an alt costume", and was excited for the prospects that might bring.

Then I later found out she was the cloniest clone since Dr. Mario, and I just lost interest. Don't really like what they did with her, and it isn't getting me interested in the character.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
At first, I thought there was going to be a catch to her because of the question mark in her tag line.

Then when I saw her gameplay, she played exactly like Marth, and since she didn't look any different from the trailer, I assumed she was "a newcomer implemented as an alt costume", and was excited for the prospects that might bring.

Then I later found out she was the cloniest clone since Dr. Mario, and I just lost interest. Don't really like what they did with her, and it isn't getting me interested in the character.
> Excited for alt costume
> Lucina gets her own slot and alternative playstyle
> Loses all interest

I guess I just don't get it. :laugh: But I do understood disappointment over her not having her own moveset. It would certainly be nice if they'd had the time to change her more than they seem to have. :p

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
> Loses all interest

I guess I just don't get it. :laugh: But I do understood disappointment over her not having her own moveset. It would certainly be nice if they'd had the time to change her more than they seem to have. :p
Could they just use post-launch updates to tweak her playstyle?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
> Loses all interest

I don't have any attachment to Lucina, so the character herself wouldn't excite me even if she had a really unique moveset (though I would be happy for another worthwhile roster addition since she would bring something brand new). Nothing against her, I just haven't dabbled into Fire Emblem yet. Her playstyle as is, is hardly alternative though, it's just an easier version of Marth's, since all of the same techniques will be valid (and I'm pretty sure customisation will make it possible to make them even more similar). Their meta game will more or less be the same. So there is absolutely nothing of value in her inclusion as a clone character, for me, since there is nothing substantially new about her, nor do I care about her as a character yet.

When I thought she was an alt costume, that got me excited for the prospect of some lesser characters from certain franchises making it into Smash through the same means, without actually having to clutter up the roster interface with separate clone slots - Daisy as a Peach skin, Ms. Pac-Man as a Pac-Man skin, Pittoo as a Pit skin, Metal Sonic as a Sonic skin, Proto Man as a Mega Man skin etc. However, since she ORIGINALLY was one, and was given her own slot instead, it actually puts a dent in my hopes that this concept will be a big thing. I still expect it for Pittoo because of the tease at the end of the Palutena trailer. But I don't expect much else. If Lucina had been an alt costume (including name change and voice clips and all), I could get excited for a new concept being introduced to Smash. But she's just another clone to me, in the end (and as bad as my least favourite of the clones to boot :drmario:). And until I play her games and get attached to her, assuming I could, then that's all she will be to me - "Femarth".

I don't mean that to rag on the character, it's just my impression of her regarding Smash.

To put it into perspective - I don't really like Krystal from the Star Fox games, but I still kinda think she'd be a cool addition because of her staff and telepathy, so seeing her with some new moveset would excite me, despite not really liking the character herself. However, I can't get excited for Lucina since I am completely neutral on her as a character, and she brings nothing new to the table in terms of play style, or even in terms of introducing new game features (bringing her in as an alt would have done that).

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Well, fair enough. :) I do think that her inclusion was very much done as fanservice for those that were already fans of her and/or Fire Emblem, so if you've got no prior experience with or particular interest in either then I can hardly blame you for not caring especially about her in Smash. :p

As far as her changelist goes, I still think it's too early to say how differently to Marth she will play. That said, the tipper being removed and sword being balanced will change every one of her attacks in terms of damage, knockback and kill percentages and encourage a more aggressive playstyle, as opposed to Marth's heavy spacing playstyle. It is a small change from Marth on paper, but I'd say it's definitely an alternative playstyle that will appeal to people that did not especially take to Marth's. :)

I feel as though other alt costumes are still on the table, but I don't have much to go on besides Sakurai mentioning that he was open to the idea and was very close to implementing Lucina as one. I'm also excited see if other characters that wouldn't warrant unique movesets could make it in as costumes - whether they have their own slot with slight gameplay changes or otherwise. :p

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So much Lucina hate, I don't get it. We haven't seen some of her moves, so we can't say she's a carbon copy clone, and even then, think about how differently Roy and Marth played. Marth had to focus on spacing, Roy had to get up close and personal, so Lucina could end up being all around in this area with the balance in the blade. I'm very eager to see how differntly she'll end up playing.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Surprised, then glad it wasn't Chrom, then disappointed that she's getting Toon Link treatment.

If one looks at the cutscenes in Awakening, she has this rolling, sword pressure style that could have been implemented. (Find the Arena cutscene to see what I mean.)

If her specials have that in her moveset, I'll be happy. If its just the same as Marth's, then I'll remain disappointed.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
If her specials have that in her moveset, I'll be happy. If its just the same as Marth's, then I'll remained disappointed.
Unless they're extremely generous, they're the same as Marth's. :p All of her animations match his because she was designed to be a costume and it's unlikely that they'd go back to change much.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Unless they're extremely generous, they're the same as Marth's. :p All of her animations match his because she was designed to be a costume and it's unlikely that they'd go back to change much.
Maybe she'll be more different in Smash 5

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
I was really really happy :chuckle:

Lucina is my favorite character in Awakening and I already had given up on her being playable... But when the 'Wakes her blade?!' popped out in the screen everything was great... Then C. Falcon and Robin!

And the fact that she's a clone doesn't bother me, Marth is my secondary in Melee and Brawl so a faster version without spacing issues is excellent for my style and therefore Lucy will be my main in this game

:4lucina:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I was denying it before but I have a feeling Lucina's gonna outclass Marth. It's the lack of Tipper and more reliable damage that's gonna make her. Where as Marth, you have to space to be effective, Lucina can hit at any range and do the same damage. That means she's much more effective overall as spacing can be tough on the better players. I feel like a lot of people who used Marth will switch over to Lucina for her better versatility.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I was denying it before but I have a feeling Lucina's gonna outclass Marth. It's the lack of Tipper and more reliable damage that's gonna make her. Where as Marth, you have to space to be effective, Lucina can hit at any range and do the same damage. That means she's much more effective overall as spacing can be tough on the better players. I feel like a lot of people who used Marth will switch over to Lucina for her better versatility.
Like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom