• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your reaction to the reveal of Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
So far, we only know two difffrences between Marth and Lucina.

1. Lucina's sword strength is balanced througout the sword
2. Lucina is slightly smaller than marth

There could be more

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
One of the principal nerfs derived from range reduction is the difficulty to make tippers... With Lucina that doesn't apply :grin:

Also, running speed is increased for Marth (and in consequence for Lucina), so there's possibilities to work around the range nerf...

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
What I took from Sakurai saying she will be similar to marth is her moveset, meaning similar attacks/specials. But with all the clones so far, while their moves are similar, their speed,movement,power, weight, etc. all differ. I could be completely wrong, but just going off of what was in the previous games.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Increased range, speed and a better air game are all premature conclusions that people have reached without actual in-depth comparison.

I certainly believe that there will be other differences between her and Marth, but right now we have no way to determine this either way. :ohwell:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
She sounds a bit closer to Roy than Marth to me. Just not as bad.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I heard a while back that Lucina might be a little like melee marth? (good air game that being) while actual marth is going to have a good ground game in smash 4

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I heard a while back that Lucina might be a little like melee marth? (good air game that being) while actual marth is going to have a good ground game in smash 4
Nothing's true until we see it. Most of it is baseless at this point.

das a purty shy lucina avatar u got thar

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Nothing's true until we see it. Most of it is baseless at this point.

das a purty shy lucina avatar u got thar
very true, it doesnt matter to me, as ill be playing her as my main. only way i wont play her is if she is literally pichu level bad, which i dont see happening.

I think she is crying in my avi pic? not sure where this is from but i like it lol

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think she is crying in my avi pic? not sure where this is from but i like it lol
It looks like shyness to me, but meh. I don't see any tears.

And knowing how Marth is, and knowing Lucina's a clone, her being Pichu level bad is impossible.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't really mind how she plays or what her fighting style is. I love mah gurl Lulu and all her blue-haired, sword-wielding lordliness and I'm gonna stick with her regardless. ^_^

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I expect both Marth and Lucina to be viable, even if Marth's nerfs apply to Lucina and Marth is indeed weaker than in Melee/Brawl. :) It's hard to predict who will end up as the higher tier, though, without knowing what the damage and knockback of her balanced blade are like compared to Marth's.

One thing that would be great (albeit extensive) is, with Marth, determining the average ratio of tippers landed vs non-tippers landed in a sample of pro matches, calculating the total damage done with tippers and the total damage done with non-tippers across these matches and then calculating the average damage done per hit. It wouldn't be a perfect indicator of who is better by any means, but having those three bits of information would be really useful for Lucina/Marth comparisons. :)

Last edited:

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I remember watching Ken stream after the E3 event, he said marth wasnt the best, i know it isnt much but doesnt mean marth wont be a viable pick. No one expected Yoshi to do well in tournament, and Amsa showed us all!

in terms of tippers, unless you are a god of spacing, you are not going to land every smash with a tipper, so depending on how good you are with it will prolly show who is better. unless they are like fox /falco where they both are good and just have different combos. Oh well, just want to play the game already and find out! the suspense is killing me

Reginleif

Smash Ace
we already know she's a clone or heavily based off marth any expectation of something completely different has already been shattered when the trailer was released :p

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
People are simply misinterpreting the point of my post. Im just saying that people are putting to much hopes on a character (with almost no analysis being done)and will probably be disappointed since she will most like resemble smash 4 marth than any other marth iteration and i dont think she will have double fair in a short hop either.

Jilluciphi42

Smash Rookie
NNID
beneo42
3DS FC
4270-0882-9265
Lucina has a chance of being good even if she is based on the smash 4 marth, due to her balanced blade. It could be a detriment, as specialization is generally a good thing, but it also opens up more possibilities for playstyles for her. Perhaps marth's moveset in smash 4 will be more suited to a playstyle that is less about spacing and uses something else, such as hyper-offense/rushdown, for which a balanced blade would be better by increasing the margin for error. She could also suck... She could also have different numbers on her lag than marth making her better or worse. We don't know yet, but I think it's silly to lose hope on Lucina because Marth seems to be bad.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Lucina has a chance of being good even if she is based on the smash 4 marth, due to her balanced blade. It could be a detriment, as specialization is generally a good thing, but it also opens up more possibilities for playstyles for her. Perhaps marth's moveset in smash 4 will be more suited to a playstyle that is less about spacing and uses something else, such as hyper-offense/rushdown, for which a balanced blade would be better by increasing the margin for error. She could also suck... She could also have different numbers on her lag than marth making her better or worse. We don't know yet, but I think it's silly to lose hope on Lucina because Marth seems to be bad.
i never said anything about her being bad. i saying people who want old marth play style will be disappointed i think marth looks great after playing him.
ps marths counter is confirmed to kill at 75%

Jilluciphi42

Smash Rookie
NNID
beneo42
3DS FC
4270-0882-9265
I agree with that statement, there's no reason to play her the way Marth has normally been played because his playstyle was based almost entirely on his tipper mechanic (and disjoint and reach, but those go along with the tipper). I think its worth noting however, that Lucina has potential to add something new and interesting to smash, that is all!

Wasn't its knockback based on what it countered in brawl? Regardless, certainly sounds like a significant buff to that move. Could give Marth mains a tasty reward for good reads, and Lucina may inherit it. If Marth's counter is that strong... Imagine Ike's.

I am also not convinced Marth is bad enough to warrant dedicated Marth mains switching away from him. He may be nerfed, but his kit is a recipe for success in smash, historically. I expect him to sneak into mid-high tier, despite the nerfs.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I agree with that statement, there's no reason to play her the way Marth has normally been played because his playstyle was based almost entirely on his tipper mechanic (and disjoint and reach, but those go along with the tipper). I think its worth noting however, that Lucina has potential to add something new and interesting to smash, that is all!

Wasn't its knockback based on what it countered in brawl? Regardless, certainly sounds like a significant buff to that move. Could give Marth mains a tasty reward for good reads, and Lucina may inherit it. If Marth's counter is that strong... Imagine Ike's.
Well based on zipzo's inquiry hes says that happened and it had a large buff.
and yeah agree with everything else.

Jilluciphi42

Smash Rookie
NNID
beneo42
3DS FC
4270-0882-9265
Interesting, that makes me think Marth will be more defensive than in past games, while Lucina may be a more offensive counterpart. Hopefully with Lucina in and Marth's changes, Marth mains will be able to choose a character familiar to them but is better suited for their particular style :)

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Interesting, that makes me think Marth will be more defensive than in past games, while Lucina may be a more offensive counterpart. Hopefully with Lucina in and Marth's changes, Marth mains will be able to choose a character familiar to them but is better suited for their particular style :)
lucina will undoubtedly be more aggressive per-se than marth since lucina users won't worry about tipping. and rampage in. marth will be more tactical in a sense of wither or not to tipper.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I flipped out when she was revealed. My friends were excited for it so they could murder her (I'm going to have the game earlier than all of them, getting it on American launch, so they shall die to my Falchion wielding waifu) But who else was excited for her?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The "I was wrong thread" exists.

Also, no option for "I was excited later." Disappoint :sadsheep:

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
i do hope that Lucina will be an option for people who like to aggro with marth like how Ken used to do back at the golden era of melee.

who knows...maybe she'll have her own variation of the ken combo.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
i do hope that Lucina will be an option for people who like to aggro with marth like how Ken used to do back at the golden era of melee.

who knows...maybe she'll have her own variation of the ken combo.
Maybe. But has it been confirmed how Lucina's Dair works? Dair is the finish of ken combo and it isn't easy to pull off. But if the case with Lucina is that she can spike with anywhere on her blade then it will be an extremely deadly move.

TheChosenReDead

Smash Rookie
Personally, I was very excited for Lucina. She was my favorite unit in Awakening and I was really hoping she'd be chosen over Chrom. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to main her as well.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I flipped out when she was revealed. My friends were excited for it so they could murder her (I'm going to have the game earlier than all of them, getting it on American launch, so they shall die to my Falchion wielding waifu) But who else was excited for her?

I dunno. Was I excited? I can't tell.

JD3

Smash Cadet
NNID
JD_Three
I'm sure many people were excited. I know I was.

PsychoSy

Smash Cadet
I'm still surprised that so many people are mad that she's a clone, i can understand that but complaining about it over and over again isn't gonna change anything.
back on topic: I really excited that she's in Smash4. :chuckle:

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I'm waiting to potentially get a Japanese 3DS in anywhere from a day to a week to play her early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom