• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your reaction to the reveal of Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Chrom was possibly listed along with Lucina and Robin to have a shot, but Sakurai wanted Robin and IS wanted Lucina. To make up for Chrom, the FS was probably the best they could come up with. I don't think any of this was last minute or changed according to the leak, that would be messy and unprofessional. I still stand by Sakurai's words when he said the roster was finalized before production began.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Chrom was possibly listed along with Lucina and Robin to have a shot, but Sakurai wanted Robin and IS wanted Lucina. To make up for Chrom, the FS was probably the best they could come up with. I don't think any of this was last minute or changed according to the leak, that would be messy and unprofessional. I still stand by Sakurai's words when he said the roster was finalized before production began.
I think that the only thing that *may* have been affected by the leak is the order of the character announcements. I'd like to think that Shulk was planned to be confirmed, but that the reveal video was changed because Sakurai saw it as the only way to deliver hype and prevent an anticlimax. :p

Chrom being in Robin's final smash is pretty much the best way for him to be included, IMO. I don't think he was pulled late in development; he was probably on the table at first before the roster was finalised, but taken off early on.

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
I thought she had a decent chance due to recency and her being one of the more popular Awakening characters, but I figured it was me using wishful thinking to boost her chances. Chrom seemed more likely, although I actually find Avatar/Robin to be the bigger surprise character. Extremely glad I was wrong, even if she does turn out cloney.
i generally marry her in Awakening, sue me

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Just for the record, that last part is pure speculation. :p We have no idea if that's true or not or if Marth has been changed/buffed since the demo.
Well lets hope the speculations are wrong and that Marth doesn't get cut in half power wise in the end.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I think that the only thing that *may* have been affected by the leak is the order of the character announcements. I'd like to think that Shulk was planned to be confirmed, but that the reveal video was changed because Sakurai saw it as the only way to deliver hype and prevent an anticlimax. :p

Chrom being in Robin's final smash is pretty much the best way for him to be included, IMO. I don't think he was pulled late in development; he was probably on the table at first before the roster was finalised, but taken off early on.
I agree that the leak affected the order of character announcements. I think that's why they went ahead and released Rosalina & Luma to restore some hope. And immediately after the E3 characters, they went ahead and dropped Robin and Lucina. It's also possible that the leak was manufactured by the company itself to create hype since those things happen.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Well lets hope the speculations are wrong and that Marth doesn't get cut in half power wise in the end.
I don't think he'll be too much weaker based on the footage I've seen. His power has been shifted and his playstyle might change slightly to match it, but Marth has always had a very solidly designed kit so I don't see his power being halved. :) Lucina represents an alternate way to play with Marth's basic design - probably faster, lighter, with less knockback (<-- speculation) and less of a focus on spacing, which may result in a more aggressive rush-down playstyle.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I was spoiled, I saw the announcement on Facebook before I watched the video. I say in amazement thanking the great cloud keeper in the sky Chrome wasn't announced. Then Robin blew my mind.

I will admit the Chrom teaser at the end had me scared, thinking he would somehow be playable after hearing his name announced and footage shown in the same jest as Zero Suit Samus. So glad he's not coming in Smash, you have no idea

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Chrom sacrificed himself to kill the Gematsu Dragon. Once and for all
So the opposite of how Grima works? Those two should swap sides.

Honestly, we can't use model detail as evidence of any hypothesis. Exhibit A: the bumper. They are not skimping on model detail. Chrom is detailed because his model is in the game, not because he almost ended up a character.

HappyW@nderer

Smash Cadet
My reaction to seeing her was just...wow. I literally smiled and shouted happily that she was in the game. In fact, I was so ecstatic that I'm going to put her as one of my Secondary characters; since of course I need time to master Marth. (Judging from the video, she uses the same, or identical moves as her ancestor.) Other than that, I love Lucina. :)

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360

I gotta say, if I were developing this game, I totally would've forgot to put in Naga's mark. Well played Namco Bandai.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I wish they'd made the color more distinct, like in the game. It blends in so well.

Ah, but I am nitpicking. I'm glad they remembered the brand.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Roy is dated. He would never have been a great representative plus Ike took over his flame sword. There was literally no reason to bring him back other than some Melee fans missing him, the number which is significantly lower than those who want Mewtwo back. Lucina is arguably the most important/popular character to the biggest game in the Fire Emblem franchise who will also be included in the upcoming game SMTxFE. Plus, that female representation.
I agree with you though in regards to lazy game development. I'm still trying to find a good reason why they would allow Lucina to be a fullblown clone if they were so against that for every other character.
Dated you say? No reason to bring him back you say? I would agree with your statement if this didn't exist.

And the fact Lucina is a lazy clone is more than enough of a reason to be frustrated with Roy's removal. The fact he was removed for being a clone, just for Sakurai to go back and put Lucina in as an even lazier clone is unjustifiable for his reason of removing Roy in the first place. And you can't argue against that fact.

Roy was added in for promotion for the GBA game, he isn't relevant anymore and it would be a waste to add him back. I love Roy, but I'm a bigger fan of Lucina
His relevance is the fact he is a fan favorite. Everyone has the right to want something and see it come back. Just like how Ike's relevance has been "dated", it shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Small detail but for me, this was a make-or-break detail. I would've felt really iffy playing a Lucina without it.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Dated you say? No reason to bring him back you say? I would agree with your statement if this didn't exist.

And the fact Lucina is a lazy clone is more than enough of a reason to be frustrated with Roy's removal. The fact he was removed for being a clone, just for Sakurai to go back and put Lucina in as an even lazier clone is unjustifiable for his reason of removing Roy in the first place. And you can't argue against that fact.

His relevance is the fact he is a fan favorite. Everyone has the right to want something and see it come back. Just like how Ike's relevance has been dated, it shouldn't matter.
Not you pulling up Awakening DLC artwork and counting that as he isn't dated. Let's just bring Ephraim, Eirika, Lyn, Leif, etc. while we're at it :joyful:

Roy may be a "fan favorite", but for what reason? Most Smash players only liked his fire fighting style. And most of his non-Japanese fans especially those who only knew him from Melee have never played his game or any Fire Emblem game in general. His iconic flame attribute has already been taken by Ike. He didn't even have his own game outside of Japan. Don't get me wrong, I think Roy is a great Lord, I loved Sword of Seals.

But there's no reason to be pissed that such a dated character didn't make in favor of the most popular character of Awakening and the biggest female icon of the franchise, clone or not.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Here's how i went with the reaction:

*Lucina gets revealed*: Awesome!
*Sees Captain Falcon revealed and kicking *** *: YESH!
*Sees Robin* : YES!! And it was a surprise too! This can't get anymore awesome!!
*Sees Lucina as a Marth clone* : Wait.....then she's a Marth alternate. Cool, it makes sense.
*Sees Chrom before realizing he is a Final Smash add on* : HE MADE IT!! IT JUST GOT MORE AWESOME!!
*Sakurai confirms Lucina as a separate character*: Oh.......disappointing. Would have been cool if she were unique.
*Chrom gets confirmed as a Final Smash add on*: Ok now i'm just mad.

Robin and Captain Falcon were the stars of the reveal. Lucina and Chrom imo got screwed big time, especially Chrom.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I think Intelligent Systems would expect nothing less of their baby. Not like Mr. Sakurai threw her into the game without maintaining communication along the way.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Not you pulling up Awakening DLC artwork and counting that as he isn't dated. Let's just bring Ephraim, Eirika, Lyn, Leif, etc. while we're at it.
Requested character DLC has relevance rather it is fan relevance or story relevance. But if you want to argue about relevance, It was pointless for them to bring back Ike. Because he is "dated". In which case Ike should've just been replaced by whatever relevant character was next in line. But he wasn't. And why was that? Oh right! Being a fan favorite.

Roy may be a "fan favorite", but for what reason? Most Smash players only liked his fire fighting style. And most of his non-Japanese fans especially those who only knew him from Melee have never played his game or any Fire Emblem game in general. His iconic flame attribute has already been taken by Ike. He didn't even have his own game outside of Japan. Don't get me wrong, I think Roy is a great Lord, I loved Sword of Seals.
Yeah, and tell that to Lucina who does pretty much the same thing as Marth without anything to really set her apart. Great inclusion there. Really did a great deal of fan service by adding a relevant character with a moveset that doesn't compliment her in the slightest. And who gives a crap if Ike has a flame attribute? That is like saying Marth should be removed since Lucina pretty much does the same thing as Marth in this instance. The only relevance he has is being the original poster boy of the series. Unless you want to call his "appearance" in Awakening relevant. In which case LOL your first point was a waste then.

But there's no reason to be pissed that such a dated character didn't make in favor of the most popular character of Awakening and the biggest female icon of the franchise, clone or not.
Yeah. There is absolutely every reason to be mad when it is a character you like that got removed. Especially if his reason for being removed is now NULL AND VOID.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
@ Reginleif Reginleif Just gonna say that I've got nothing against Lucina. In fact, I wanted her more than Chrom in the first place. But the way her inclusion was made was like killing two characters at once. I'm not okay with that.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Let's say Sakurai had proposed to IS that he bring back Roy - do you really think they'd have supported that over introducing their most popular characters from a far more recent game? There are other reasons for Roy not coming back this time around.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Let's say Sakurai had proposed to IS that he bring back Roy - do you really think they'd have supported that over introducing their most popular characters from a far more recent game? There are other reasons for Roy not coming back this time around.
Again, why should that matter? If that were the case, Ike's popularity and relevance would have lost out to Chrom's. It is not like they couldn't have said yes to both characters.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
When I first joined Smashboards, I only wanted three things out of Smash 4.
1. Mewtwo's return
2. Skyward Sword Zelda outfit
3. Lucina in some way, shape, or form.

You can imagine my reaction. It was probably the same as every Lucina supporters reaction.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
My reactions;
"Oh hey, it isn't Shulk."
"...Lucina is a character? Das pretty-"
"CAPTAIN FALCON! *spazzes with joy*"
"My god Captain Falcon is so amazing."
[Robin starts coming down]
"Who is zat? Who... Whoiszat? Whoizat?"
"Oooh, Robin, that Fire Emblem Main Character guy."
"Wait, HE'S A MAGE? Will Probably Main."
[Chrom is crybaby]
"OOOOOOOOOOH GEMATSU DE-BUNKED WHATCHU GOT!"
And I had the biggest slime on my face. :)

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I really expected Chrom...But was given Lucina instead and I must say....great choice :D. I really do enjoy the fact she is basically the Roy of the game. Never cared for him.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Requested character DLC has relevance rather it is fan relevance or story relevance. But if you want to argue about relevance, It was pointless for them to bring back Ike. Because he is "dated". In which case Ike should've just been replaced by whatever relevant character was next in line. But he wasn't. And why was that? Oh right! Being a fan favorite.

Yeah, and tell that to Lucina who does pretty much the same thing as Marth without anything to really set her apart. Great inclusion there. Really did a great deal of fan service by adding a relevant character with a moveset that doesn't compliment her in the slightest. And who gives a crap if Ike has a flame attribute. That is like saying Marth should be removed since Lucina pretty much does the same thing as Marth in this instance. The only relevance he has is being the original poster boy of the series. Unless you want to call his "appearance" in Awakening relevant. In which case LOL your first point was a waste then.

Yeah. There is absolutely every reason to be mad when it is a character you like that got removed. Especially if his reason for being removed is now NULL AND VOID.
Ike wasn't a pointless inclusion. Obviously Sakurai doesn't remove characters unless they're completely redundant to keep investing in. Radiant Hero Ike introduced Aether, his signature move, which is still prominent in Fire Emblem today. It's a skill that Chrom and Lucina even share. His descendant Priam even gets a lot of attention in Awakening, ranking #13 on the male Awakening popularity poll. His flame attribute is iconic. He was in two games that weren't Japan-exclusive.

Really no one cares about Roy's inclusion anymore. IS doesn't, Sakurai doesn't, most of the general Fire Emblem fans don't. Only the Melee players who main'd Roy care, who is a minority, and like I said, most of the non-Japanese ones have never even played his game before or any Fire Emblem game.

Can I ask: Have you even PLAYED a Fire Emblem game? Sword of Seals? Awakening?

If you have and are enough of a fan to follow Awakening in general, you'd understand Lucina's impact on the franchise. Her inclusion was necessary. And at least it makes sense that she's a Marth clone; it follows up canonical humor. Roy had no reason to be a clone. Marth is the icon of Fire Emblem and it's ridiculous to even suggest he's going to be replaced.

Keep believing in his relevance which is supposedly enough to warrant him a slot back into SSB4 when the only receipt you use to back it up is his DLC artwork which included numerous other Lords.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I vouched for Robin and considered Chrom the most likely (though still suspect) candidate. I was never confident Lucina would be added (though back in mid 2013 I mused over the idea of her being in) and I never thought that we'd get 4 Fire Emblem reps period.

I'm glad I'm wrong.

Last edited:

JPW

Smash Ace
My reaction was confusion, at first i was bombarded with the traffic on the website, i managed to get it just as Falcon was shown, it was weird i wasn't sure. Then i saw Robin. And i was like OH A MAGE! After seeing his moves "He's really UNIQUE... WAIT LUCINA'S IN THE GAME TOO! AWESOME. I WANTED HER! Hmm she looks like Marth, or maybe Marth has new moves. What about Chrom? Oh there he is. Deconfirmed? What's this? He's part of Robin's Final Smash. Okay. Pretty cool. Kind of surprised he didn't make it. But we got Lucina and Robin. I'm happy. "

On the whole Roy thing. I had no idea how popular he was until he got cut. I used Marth in Melee. In fact i'm pretty sure his popularity got increased after he was cut.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I wanted her but knew it was a longshot. Very possible (my girlfriend and I always debated it) but I never thought she'd be able to beat out Chrom.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ike wasn't a pointless inclusion. Obviously Sakurai doesn't remove characters unless they're completely redundant to keep investing in. Radiant Hero Ike introduced Aether, his signature move, which is still prominent in Fire Emblem today. It's a skill that Chrom and Lucina even share. His descendant Priam even gets a lot of attention in Awakening, ranking #13 on the male Awakening popularity poll. His flame attribute is iconic. He was in two games that weren't Japan-exclusive.

Really no one cares about Roy's inclusion anymore. IS doesn't, Sakurai doesn't, most of the general Fire Emblem fans don't. Only the Melee players who main'd Roy care, who is a minority, and like I said, most of the non-Japanese ones have never even played his game before or any Fire Emblem game.
So Melee fans don't get a say anymore? Mkay, I get your angle. I guess Melee fans don't deserve a say if they aren't directly Fire Emblem fans. I'm so sorry for having an opinion about a character I enjoy. I'm such a bad fan.

Can I ask: Have you even PLAYED a Fire Emblem game? Sword of Seals? Awakening?
Does it matter if I have or have not? Being a fan of a character is being a fan of a character. Once you've invested time into playing a character you actually like and see them removed, it gives that player every right to be mad. This is a common theme in fighting games. Their relevance hardly means a damn thing. When a character is popular, they are often discussed to make a return in upcoming games. Sure not every character makes the cut. But if they are replaced by someone who does their job, you can bet your ass they get ripped for it by their fans.

And to answer your question, I've only just recently invested into the FE series. If not for that fact, I wouldn't have even known the references being made towards Robin and item durability, or anything he does for that matter. And from a FE perspective, I very much appreciate that they keep the character true to his series. He is likely to be a character I play.

If you have and are enough of a fan to follow Awakening in general, you'd understand Lucina's impact on the franchise. Her inclusion was necessary. And at least it makes sense that she's a Marth clone; it follows up canonical humor. Roy had no reason to be a clone. Marth is the icon of Fire Emblem and it's ridiculous to even suggest he's going to be replaced.
You are assuming that I believe Roy deserves Lucina's spot, which isn't the case at all. I believe Sakurai is a hypocrite for doing to Lucina what made Roy get removed from the start. It hardly merits his removal to begin with. I'm well aware of Lucina's roll in the game as the Impostor Marth, but it still hardly does justice to how she actually fights. Which is another reason why I'm mad about her inclusion being made the way it was. And if you even caught what I said before:....

@ Reginleif Reginleif Just gonna say that I've got nothing against Lucina. In fact, I wanted her more than Chrom in the first place. But the way her inclusion was made was like killing two characters at once. I'm not okay with that.
... I'm not at all against her inclusion.

Keep believing in his relevance which is supposedly enough to warrant him a slot back into SSB4 when the only receipt you use to back it up is his DLC artwork which included numerous other Lords.
I believe his veteran status, on top of being a popular character because of his original inclusion merits him more than enough of a reason to come back. Clone or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom