• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What things from Smash 64/Melee/Brawl would you like to see in Smash 5 that were not in Smash 4?

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I want them to bring back the custom stage designer function that was in Brawl, with a few tweaks to improve it of course. I'd also like to see them bring back EVERY stage. Just set them up in pages based on which game it was in which they originated. Plus i'd really like to seem them bring back some of the old skins. Fox looked so much cooler in Melee than he did in Brawl, and i'd like to have the option of using that skin. The same goes for Falco's Melee design, Link's, Zelda's , and Ganondorf's Melee designs, and Ike's design from Brawl. If Little Mac and Wario can have alternate skins, why not do the fan service of several different skins on other characters so we can pick which generation we liked the best?

Enchess

Smash Lord
I want them to bring back the custom stage designer function that was in Brawl, with a few tweaks to improve it of course. I'd also like to see them bring back EVERY stage. Just set them up in pages based on which game it was in which they originated. Plus i'd really like to seem them bring back some of the old skins. Fox looked so much cooler in Melee than he did in Brawl, and i'd like to have the option of using that skin. The same goes for Falco's Melee design, Link's, Zelda's , and Ganondorf's Melee designs, and Ike's design from Brawl. If Little Mac and Wario can have alternate skins, why not do the fan service of several different skins on other characters so we can pick which generation we liked the best?
I've wanted the ability to play with ugly N64 models for the original cast for awhile (especially DK). It'd be cool if everyone got to maintain at least their Smash debut model as an outfit.

D

Deleted member

1: Bring back Wavedashing
2: Bring back some of the old tracks (like Metal Battle and Break the targets theme song) Also, i hope they bring back the REAL Classic mode!
3: And of course, Bring back Ice Climbers and Pichu :)

Last edited by a moderator:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
- Far more unlockable characters than the amount Smash 4 gave us
- Collectible CDs and Stickers
- An Adventure mode (preferably like SSE)
- Lottery and Coin Launcher were awesome because they did their own thing whereas Trophy Rush was an actual hassle because it used SSB's core gameplay. The shop is cool though.
- Bring back my boy Blastoise as a Pokeball summon. Also all cut Assist Trophies (minus Little Mac), and make Snake and Ice Climbers return too.
- A more diverse trophy selection instead of focusing on everything you could see in the game
- Better menus
- An actual opening

Thatboyjojo

Smash Rookie
By things, I mean music, stages, trophies, items, features, characters, anything really. What things would you like to see in Smash 5 that were not in Smash 4, but were in the games before?

For me, I would like to see returning retro trophies from Melee such as Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider, whose trophies were not in the games that followed for some reason. Also, I would like to see stage based trophies from Melee like Mute City.

Speaking of stages, I would like to see Peach's Castle from Melee and the Fountain of Dreams from the same game come back as stages in Smash 5. For music, there are lots of options, but I would personally like to hear this in the Battlefield stage.

I would also like to see Board the Platforms come back.

What about you guys? What things from past games not in Smash 4 would you like to see in Smash 5?
L canceling or a nerfed z canceling maybe instead of no landing lag maybe 25%, wavedashing/melee style air dodging , 64/melee/brawl style edge guards , yoshis from brawl ,fod from melee , toon links bair strings from brawl, 64 hitstun , diddys 2x banana from brawl, toon links dair from brawl(I hate how he acts like an anchor is tied to his sword in smash 4 ) almost forgot dash dancing from melee

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
From Melee/Brawl:
-The Offline Tourney Mode
Probably the best thing to ever happen for smash. Don't really know why it was cut in smash 4. Seriously tho, online tournaments were a disaster which took hours to start only to be killed by that one guy who spams corrin. (FML)
-Another adventure mode
Melee did it well, and Brawl made it fun and immersive. Why not try again? After all, there's almost no way they could screw it up with such a great track record.
-Certain characters
First of all Wolf, my brawl main who was cut just 'cause the devs don't like him. Snake, though his only chances are if konami allows it. Ivysaur, because I liked it in brawl. Plus, it isn't a clone, which is also good (considering the amount clones in smash 4). Finally, Pichu. Might be similar to Pikachu, but not to be taken lightly if utilized correctly.
-Some stages
I'm talking Fountain of Dreams, Kongo Jungle, Icicle Mountain, Spear Pillar, Brinstar Depths, Great Bay, & Pokefloats.
-Gameplay Aspects
Trophy Tussle Events, Actual requirement to work for CDs, Challenges more like Brawl, Wide collection of trophies, Trophy/sticker coin launcher thing
-Definitely agree that there is almost no unlockables in smash 4
Probably happened because nintendo keeps trying to make it easier for younger audiences. (Which is probably why it includes a few odd character choices, as well as nerfing the crap out of some of melee and brawl's top tier characters.)

Now for 64:
-Original Target Smash
Sure the target blast mode is ok, but it really leaves a gaping hole where there wasn't before. After all, combining target smash and homerun contest just doesn't work.
-Stages
Listed as follows: Mushroom Kingdom, Saffron City, Congo Jungle, Dream Land, & Hyrule Castle. Sure some were already in smash 4, but as paid DLC.
-Elements from the classic mode of each game.
By letting you choose a path/stage on your own, Smash 4's classic mode is just too easy and missing the things that made it "Classic" in the first place. First of all, replacing the waves of fighters with miis is just boring. (This applies to Multi-Man Smash as well). Also, there's not any fun challenges like catching the trophies from melee or smashing the targets from original smash games. Also missing is my personal favorite classic stage, race to the finish.

Things that should never exist:
-Tripping
Really annoying when you're running up to use an up smash and just randomly slip like you hit a banana peel
-Ledge stealing from SSB4
From a gameplay standpoint, this can cause a lot of BS moments in serious battles.
-DK's final smash
Seriously though, it makes no sense that his FS comes from a spin-off series of maybe 3 games, especially when this kong has had so many main series games.
kirby's FS in Smash 4:
This FS isn't nearly as fun as brawl, and makes him more of what would happen if you combine Jigglypuff with Ike.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wolf! The original break the targets! And I want the original Classic Mode from Melee back.

The Childhood memories....

Last edited by a moderator:
Smash 64
-A few other stages from this game.
-Epic taunt cancelling like in this game.
-Meta Crystal as a stage. Plz give me this fanservice.
-Board the Platforms

Melee
-Return of Adventure Mode
-Race to the Finish (Melee version)
-WALL GRAPPLING
-Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Big Blue, Fourside and Mute City
-Collect the trophies minigame
-Red Shell

Brawl
-DACUS
-Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake (even if that last one is impossible)
-Rumble Falls, Frigate Orpheon, and New Pork City (for casual games). Also, I would kinda like to see some of the Battlegrounds from the Subspace Emmisary appear as stages (well, not quite exactly as they were, just the basic layout is fine)

General/Stuff from Multiple Games/Stuff I didn't quite feel would fit in the other categories
-The version of Target Test seen in Melee and Smash 64 (one different stage for everyone)
-Tournament mode from Brawl, with some changes (Merge it with Rotation, and allow 64 slots like Melee's Tournament Mode)
-Give the game a slightly faster movement speed, like Melee (not quite to the same level, so fellow fans of Smash 4's gameplay won't feel too alienated)
-Maybe make the hitsun in between what it is now and Smash 64, not too far in either direction
-Add a toggle for Battlefield and Final Destination that will allow you to play all of their previous designs
-Redesigned Classic that's a merging of all 4 games thus far. I have no idea how this would happen, I'll think of some ideas later.
-Bosses that aren't Master Hand and Crazy Hand and the Core. Somewhat related...

A full-fledged epic like the Subspace Emissary. I loved the mode as it was in Brawl, and I feel it added a bit more personality to the game as a whole, and I would gladly buy this game for something like that alone. I just hope that they keep the cutscenes in, and that some locations from the character's home series are blended in with the original locations (and a bit more dialogue, maybe?) Other than that, I have no real complaints. I have some ideas (that I'll save off until we see what the roster is like)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bring back Melee's handicap system, but make adjustments to how the knockback multiplier is scaled. For an example...
Handicap Level | Knockback Dealt | Knockback Taken
1 | 0.5x | 2x
2 | 0.5263158x | 1.9x
3 | 0.5555556x | 1.8x
4 | 0.5882353x | 1.7x
5 | 0.625x | 1.6x
6 | 0.6666667x | 1.5x
7 | 0.7142858x | 1.4x
8 | 0.7692308x | 1.3x
9 | 0.8333334x | 1.2x
10 | 0.909091x | 1.1x
11 | 1x | 1x
12 | 1.1x | 0.909091x
13 | 1.2x | 0.8333334x
14 | 1.3x | 0.7692308x
15 | 1.4x | 0.7142858x
16 | 1.5x | 0.6666667x
17 | 1.6x | 0.625x
18 | 1.7x | 0.5882353x
19 | 1.8x | 0.5555556x
20 | 1.9x | 0.5263158x
21 | 2x | 0.5x
If that's too much though, here's a less complex example...
1 | 0.5x | 2x
2 | 0.5714286x | 1.75x
3 | 0.6666667x | 1.5x
4 | 0.8x | 1.25x
5 | 1x | 1x
6 | 1.25x | 0.8x
7 | 1.5x | 0.6666667x
8 | 1.75x | 0.5714286x
9 | 2x | 0.5x

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Bring back Melee's handicap system, but make adjustments to how the knockback multiplier is scaled. For an example...
1 | 0.5x | 2x
2 | 0.5263158x | 1.9x
3 | 0.5555556x | 1.8x
4 | 0.5882353x | 1.7x
5 | 0.625x | 1.6x
6 | 0.6666667x | 1.5x
7 | 0.7142858x | 1.4x
8 | 0.7692308x | 1.3x
9 | 0.8333334x | 1.2x
10 | 0.909091x | 1.1x
11 | 1x | 1x
12 | 1.1x | 0.909091x
13 | 1.2x | 0.8333334x
14 | 1.3x | 0.7692308x
15 | 1.4x | 0.7142858x
16 | 1.5x | 0.6666667x
17 | 1.6x | 0.625x
18 | 1.7x | 0.5882353x
19 | 1.8x | 0.5555556x
20 | 1.9x | 0.5263158x
21 | 2x | 0.5x
If that's too much though, here's a less complex example...
1 | 0.5x | 2x
2 | 0.5714286x | 1.75x
3 | 0.6666667x | 1.5x
4 | 0.8x | 1.25x
5 | 1x | 1x
6 | 1.25x | 0.8x
7 | 1.5x | 0.6666667x
8 | 1.75x | 0.5714286x
9 | 2x | 0.5x
Why?

Actual approach options and actual safe shield pressure.
What's wrong with the former? Plus there is a bit of shield pressure in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Let's just say that Melee gave you the ability to set up cat & mouse type matches, where the lowered handicapped fighters had to evade the higher handicapped fighters; having a low handicap makes the fighter deal less knockback, and take more knockback. When fighters have the same handicap value, the knockback dealt and knockback taken ratio will be even between them. This would also affect the fighters' knockback resistance against stage hazards.

You can't really do that in Brawl or Smash 3DS / Wii U, since their handicap systems only alter fighters' starting damage percentages.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
'cause i think it looked better. with the longer snoot and larger ears he looked more foxlike. i kinda liked his outfit better too but it's mainly the facial features i miss.

edit: while i'm on the subject i'd want Link's Ocarina of Time design back as an option too. the BotW look is great and it's a breath (heh) of fresh air, but he still ought to have the option for something more traditional

Last edited:

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
  • ADVENTURE MODE!
  • Ice Climbers
  • Wolf
  • Bonuses
  • Decision Mode
  • Melee's fast pace
  • Munchlax
  • Bonsly
  • Flipper
  • How L cancels let you float midair (I'm neutral on wavedash, I can't perform it myself)

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, there's a couple things, really.
  • Adventure Mode is obviously at the top of my list, and even if nobody seemed to miss it near the beginning of Smash 4's life cycle, it seems we've all come around to supporting its return now, so I feel that warrants no explanation.
  • Hell, just any decent singeplayer content at all would be nice. Smash 4's singleplayer was notoriously terrible, to the point that anyone who enjoyed Smash as much for its singleplayer as for its multiplayer felt alienated. Change that, please.
  • It's all for nostalgia, but I'd love to see a bunch of long-forgotten stages from Melee make a return. Fourside, Great Bay, Poke Floats (yes, really), Princess Peach's Castle, Fountain of Dreams, the list goes on.
  • Likewise, the music from all these stages needs to come back, even if the stages themselves don't. I'd kill to be able to smash to Fourside's theme again.
  • The Red Shell item. The Green Shell is already incredibly fun to mess around with, so it brings into question why this item ever left in the first place.
  • Like in Melee and Brawl, Mr. Game & Watch should be a glass cannon and not just glass. #ShotsFired

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

- Pikachu's Forward Air, or at least how it functions
- Mario's Fire Ball being as big, but travelling farther
- C.Falcon's old F Smash
- Donkey Kong's Forward Tilt, but faster
- Old stages: Saffron City, Brinstar and Mushroom Kingdom
- L-Canceling

- Ganondorf's design and the way his Down B works, if he doesn't get a major moveset overhaul
- Link's NTSC Spin Attack spike and power
- Mewtwo's weight being changed to his Melee standard weight (PAL version) instead of being feather weight like he is now
- Falco's PAL D Air
- Stages: Kongo Jungle (with the waterfall), Brinstar Debts, FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS, Pokemon Stadium
- Dr.Mario being mostly like he was in Melee
- Young Link, if Toon Link gets reworked a little more and BOTW Link turns out to be significantly different than the other two, also if Paper Mario makes it in and the roster is huge enough to warrant 3 x Mario and 3 x Link
- Overall combo system or at least the same level of aerial combat
- Adventure Mode
- L-Canceling (not Wavedashing tho)

- Wolf
- Squirtle
- King Dedede's old Back Air
- Diddy Kong's F Air's power and functionality of his Dash Attack, MAYBE the second banana as well
- Subspace Emissary, or a mix of SE and Smash Run and Adventure Mode I dunno
- BOSS BATTLES
- New Pork City
- Mr Game & Watch's U Smash and overall sense of power behind his moves
- Wario's old F Smash and buffs to be much like he was in Brawl

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Um? No, beside that was a editing hiccup.
Jeez, I can't just poke fun at a hilarious typo?

Anyways, I also really wanna see the return of interesting alternative ways to unlock characters and stages that aren't just simply beat Classic X times/with X character/on X difficulty, or perform X characters' Final Smash, or something as annoying as playing full matches on all 3 boards of Smash Tour, etc.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I'd like to see Lucas and Mewtwo being in the base game and Ice Climbers to return. Also, some worthwhile single-player content would be nice.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Characters:
:pichumelee::popo::wolf::snake::pt:

Stages:
Fourside, Fountain of Dreams, Mushroom Kingdom 2,Poke Floats, Peach's Castle,Brinstar
Shadow Moses Island, Spear Pillar Hanenbow, Frigate Orpheon

Items:
Fan, Cracker Launcher

Features:
Coin Launcher from Brawl, a more flashed out single player mode like Subspace Emissary or Adventure Mode.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Why?

What's wrong with the former? Plus there is a bit of shield pressure in Sm4sh.
But is it safe? Meaning can you hit somebody Shield and not be punished out of it. That does not exist in Smash 4. You cannot pressure somebody aggressively in Smash 4. Zero said it himself Smash 4 plays like chess.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Oh this will be fun:

• Break the Platforms and Break the Targets: Hopefully character-specific, but if that is too difficult because of having a lot of characters, I'd be fine with Brawl's version in varying difficulty levels.
  • Melee's Adventure Mode: just longer.
  • Ice Climbers and Wolf
  • The actual Classic Mode. I don't like what they did with it in Sm4sh.
  • Melee or Brawl's menu please. This new menu was horrible.

SonicBoom403

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicBoom403
Switch FC
SW-0655-9229-9594
Veterans
:wolf::popo::pt:

Stages
Saffron City from Smash 64
Princess Peach's Castle, Great Bay, Fountain of Dreams, Poke Floats, and Fourside from Melee
:spearpillar::npc: from Brawl

Others
Adventure Mode
Break the Targets
Race to the finish
Coin Launcher
Some of the Poke Ball Pokemon that were in older games like Venusaur, Blastoise, Munchlax, Bonsly, etc.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
  • Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake
  • almost all of the stages (no scrolling stages and ideally, no "big" stages)
  • Classic Mode
  • an Adventure mode. Not necessarily Subspace if it would take away development time from other modes and balancing, as it did in Brawl
  • Brawl-esque menu

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Well, yes, depending on spacing.
Well no because even if you space every move from every single character can be punished out of Shield unless it's a projectile. I was on for Glory yesterday practicing it and trying to show who I was facing how dumb it was

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
  • Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake
  • almost all of the stages (no scrolling stages and ideally, no "big" stages)
  • Classic Mode
  • an Adventure mode. Not necessarily Subspace if it would take away development time from other modes and balancing, as it did in Brawl
  • Brawl-esque menu
I just want :popo: and :wolf: I think :snake: is not coming back due to Konami.

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Isaac from Golden Sun
The Dreamland Gourmet Race theme
Kingdom 2 Melee
Brawl's main theme
Adventure Mode; akin to melee

Top Bottom