• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What things from Smash 64/Melee/Brawl would you like to see in Smash 5 that were not in Smash 4?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
An adventure mode somewhere between melee's and subspace. Give me a bunch of stages based off of various nintendo franchises like Melee's but give me proper bosses like Brawl instead of having to fight other characters for no reason.

For example, the first stage could be mushroom kingdom, a standard platforming fair but when you get to the end of that you have a boss fight against Petey or someone. Then you'd move onto a Zelda inspired stage with some sort of puzzle challenges, keys you'd have to find and bring them to doors (like subspace did) etc, then you'd fight idk gohma or a dodongo at the end. Then a Metroid stage that plays like a metroid level with a lot of exploration and maybe even multiple floors to explore, then you'd fight kraid or whatever.

Melee had the right idea but it needed bosses and more actual platforming levels.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Okay, it's clear that we all want Adventure Mode to return in some form, but am I the only one who specifically loves SSE for its cutscenes? Don't get me wrong, I like playing through it as well, but seeing how all these characters interact when dropped into the same story is still really fun to me, which is why even if we don't see a dedicated "Story Mode" in this game, I'd love to see the return of such cutscenes, and not have these entertaining interactions limited to maybe the occasional reveal trailer.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Okay, it's clear that we all want Adventure Mode to return in some form, but am I the only one who specifically loves SSE for its cutscenes? Don't get me wrong, I like playing through it as well, but seeing how all these characters interact when dropped into the same story is still really fun to me, which is why even if we don't see a dedicated "Story Mode" in this game, I'm love to see the return of such cutscenes, and not have these entertaining interactions limited to maybe the occasional reveal trailer.
I'd like a subspace mode too but the generic locations and it's unnecessary length kinda ruined it for me tbh

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Having almost no cutscenes does help to reduce development time, so I can see why Smash 3DS / Wii U hardly had any videos that weren't newcomer related, or an 8-second fighter ending.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
The ability to wiggle the control stick to get out of tumble animation. It makes no sense, in a real life perspective, why a character would have to randomly attack or air dodge when no opponent is near – in order to get out of tumble.

Khao

Smash Lord
Biggest one, surprise, is Adventure mode. A lot of people have said something similar, but I'd love it if we had a short, but highly replayable game with plenty of side-scrolling levels and bosses taken from all franchises featured in the game. Add in branching-paths and secret unlockables and the thing could be huge, my ideal would basically be a Star Fox-style structure. Ultimately I couldn't care less about cutscenes, I'd rather just pick a character and go through the whole thing (or perhaps a team of characters?).

Break the Targets. I always felt it was a big Smash staple, it felt extremely weird to see it gone. Even character-specific levels shouldn't be too much effort if they all use generic assets as opposed to Melee/64 when half the roster had levels using unique elements. Custom Break the Targets levels would definitely be the idea.

With Adventure mode being a crazier, experimental single player mode with new features, I'd like Classic Mode to go back to a more basic form. Adding all those crazy features make the "Classic" part of the title kind of pointless. Just make me go through a few fights separated by minigames, add a couple of fun, pre-defined modifiers (such as making X-fight always be team-based and Y-fight always be a 1-1 against a metal character), Master Hand at the end, and we're good.

And talking about Classic mode, I want the return of Race to the Finish! I'd rather see this over something like Board the Platforms to be honest, since it's essentially identical to break the targets except you replace attacking with landing. I think Race to the Finish has a ton of potential though, especially with how Melee introduced several exits to better accomodate the different movement speeds of each character, and a fun risk vs reward element. There's a lot that can be done with this mode, so I was a bit sad to see it was removed entirely from Brawl onwards.

I want new clones to actually be different in playstyle from their cloned character as opposed to having one or two differences. The clone standards got better and better in each game until Brawl, which arguably didn't even have any true clones whatsoever. So I was super dissapointed to see the bar go down with Dark Pit and Lucina, who play identically from Pit and Marth save for a couple of minor differences. I understand that clones only exist because there's almost no work involved in creating them, but you can't deny that there's a difference between Lucina/Dark Pit and the way even Melee handled most of its clones, who despite sharing animations and mechanics, had completely unique stats and properties, leading to characters who felt fundamentally different despite objectively sharing the same moves.

This is not something too specific, but I want Sma5h to introduce a new basic mechanic to the game. Sm4sh changed a few rules, like ledge-trumping, but it didn't really introduce something new that affected the mechanics of the whole cast. Melee added a ton of extra moves, like air-dodges, pummeling, directional throws, side-specials. Brawl added Final Smashes and smaller **** like footstools. Sma5sh didn't really add a whole lot other than changing already-existing rules.

As for smaller stuff.

I want a Mario stage with functioning Warp Pipes.

I want Saffron City, with the random Pokémon door.

I want Sector Z, still by far my favorite Great Fox level (#****Corneria).

I want more, Smash-original stages to be used both as single-player content and as unlockables, such as the Metal Mario stage in 64.

I want Brinstar Depths. Loved the idea of a large, rotating stage. Not only did it not come back, but we never even got an equivalent.

I honestly want Stage Builder to go back to being blocks on a grid. It can definitely be improved, but ultimately it led to better, more consistent results than the touchscreen-based builder in Sm4sh.

I want offline Tourneys.

I want Ice Climbers.

I want Wolf.

I want Snake.

I even want Pichu.

Hell, I want ****ing Pokémon Trainer.

I want all characters in Smash history in one game. I know it's too much to ask for and it's completely unrealistic, but **** it, I want them all.

All these things are ultimately inconsequential though. There's one thing that didn't make it to Sm4ash that was borderline insulting. It absolutely needs to make a comeback. It made the game, and Sm4sh just didn't feel the same without it, making the whole experience objectively worse.

I ****ing need to move the camera in the menus with the right stick.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Biggest one, surprise, is Adventure mode. A lot of people have said something similar, but I'd love it if we had a short, but highly replayable game with plenty of side-scrolling levels and bosses taken from all franchises featured in the game. Add in branching-paths and secret unlockables and the thing could be huge, my ideal would basically be a Star Fox-style structure. Ultimately I couldn't care less about cutscenes, I'd rather just pick a character and go through the whole thing (or perhaps a team of characters?).

Break the Targets. I always felt it was a big Smash staple, it felt extremely weird to see it gone. Even character-specific levels shouldn't be too much effort if they all use generic assets as opposed to Melee/64 when half the roster had levels using unique elements. Custom Break the Targets levels would definitely be the idea.

With Adventure mode being a crazier, experimental single player mode with new features, I'd like Classic Mode to go back to a more basic form. Adding all those crazy features make the "Classic" part of the title kind of pointless. Just make me go through a few fights separated by minigames, add a couple of fun, pre-defined modifiers (such as making X-fight always be team-based and Y-fight always be a 1-1 against a metal character), Master Hand at the end, and we're good.

And talking about Classic mode, I want the return of Race to the Finish! I'd rather see this over something like Board the Platforms to be honest, since it's essentially identical to break the targets except you replace attacking with landing. I think Race to the Finish has a ton of potential though, especially with how Melee introduced several exits to better accomodate the different movement speeds of each character, and a fun risk vs reward element. There's a lot that can be done with this mode, so I was a bit sad to see it was removed entirely from Brawl onwards.

I want new clones to actually be different in playstyle from their cloned character as opposed to having one or two differences. The clone standards got better and better in each game until Brawl, which arguably didn't even have any true clones whatsoever. So I was super dissapointed to see the bar go down with Dark Pit and Lucina, who play identically from Pit and Marth save for a couple of minor differences. I understand that clones only exist because there's almost no work involved in creating them, but you can't deny that there's a difference between Lucina/Dark Pit and the way even Melee handled most of its clones, who despite sharing animations and mechanics, had completely unique stats and properties, leading to characters who felt fundamentally different despite objectively sharing the same moves.

This is not something too specific, but I want Sma5h to introduce a new basic mechanic to the game. Sm4sh changed a few rules, like ledge-trumping, but it didn't really introduce something new that affected the mechanics of the whole cast. Melee added a ton of extra moves, like air-dodges, pummeling, directional throws, side-specials. Brawl added Final Smashes and smaller **** like footstools. Sma5sh didn't really add a whole lot other than changing already-existing rules.

As for smaller stuff.

I want a Mario stage with functioning Warp Pipes.

I want Saffron City, with the random Pokémon door.

I want Sector Z, still by far my favorite Great Fox level (#****Corneria).

I want more, Smash-original stages to be used both as single-player content and as unlockables, such as the Metal Mario stage in 64.

I want Brinstar Depths. Loved the idea of a large, rotating stage. Not only did it not come back, but we never even got an equivalent.

I honestly want Stage Builder to go back to being blocks on a grid. It can definitely be improved, but ultimately it led to better, more consistent results than the touchscreen-based builder in Sm4sh.

I want offline Tourneys.

I want Ice Climbers.

I want Wolf.

I want Snake.

I even want Pichu.

Hell, I want ****ing Pokémon Trainer.

I want all characters in Smash history in one game. I know it's too much to ask for and it's completely unrealistic, but **** it, I want them all.

All these things are ultimately inconsequential though. There's one thing that didn't make it to Sm4ash that was borderline insulting. It absolutely needs to make a comeback. It made the game, and Sm4sh just didn't feel the same without it, making the whole experience objectively worse.

I ****ing need to move the camera in the menus with the right stick.
Yes on all this! Nice job pointing out the Stage Builder. I'm glad others feel this way.

Except... HELL NO on changing the menu angles with the c-stick. That crap was always annoying when my younger brothers did it. Some nightmares are never forgotten, nor forgiven.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Biggest thing I want is a Subspace Emissary-type thing. Or at least an adventure mode like the melee one.

Boss Rush would also be cool, I really wish I could fight the smash 4 classic-mode boss fights without going through the whole classic mode (espicially since it gets hard later on, making it hsrd to even go aganist master core and the master fortress thing at all)

Also, Break the Targets. The smash 4 target mode sucks, break the targets on the other hand sounds fun

The three things I mentioned are all things I never got to play before, since I don't own the other three smash games. Those three modes plus smash run, events, classic mode, all-star mode, and of course the main smash mode combined would be so much fun.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Wave dashing
Removal of wall techs and side specials as per Smash 64
Tripping.
Diddy having two bananas again
Snake.
Fully recloned Ganon
OHKO Rest
Melee ledges
DACUS
Brawl's menu (Watch "Smash Bros. Menus" on youtube by RelaxAlax)
SSE
Project M's special vs. All Star Mode
Turbo from PM
Regular mode supporting 6 players as per SSB Crusade
And last, but definitely least, Wii mote.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
The Biggest one is a Subspace Emissary like story or a Melee-like adventure mode that let's you fight bosses (like Boss Rush) instead of other character from the roster (with the exception of one character from the same franchise as your character as a very powerful rival eg: Fox vs Wolf )

All the stages, but if not at least Fountain of Dreams, Saffron City, and Corneria those three were amazing stages.

Break the targets, Board the Platforms, and Race to the Finish each one specifically made for each character.

An improved stage builder

Tripping cause we all missed it /s

DACUS

Transformations for old and new characters who it applies to (excluding Samus turning into Zero Suit Samus)

Changing menu angles with c-stick so nostalgic

Offline Tournaments

Ice Climbers, Wolf, Squirtle,

I don't play this character, but for the sake of all who do, Buff. The. Puff. At least give her Rest a one hit K.O. (but make it so that it decreases knockback and damage a bit more than other special moves if spammed to much).

Last but not least, this is a really minor change that I REALLY want back, I doubt anyone noticed it was gone (though I could be wrong). I want the sword sound effects back from Melee, when two sword user clash against each other with their attacks, which made their swords sing. Sometimes it's the simple things you miss, for example (three seconds in):

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Snake.

Also, a Melee-style Adventure mode, and better single player options in general, (maybe bring back Board the Platforms?) but mostly Snake.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Last but not least, this is a really minor change that I REALLY want back, I doubt anyone noticed it was gone (though I could be wrong). I want the sword sound effects back from Melee when two sword user clash against each other with their attacks which made their swords sing. Sometimes it's the simple things you miss, for example (three seconds in):

YES! I had the same thought a few days ago at a tournament.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Super Smash Bros. 64
  • Jeffrey Manning (Announcer)
  • Atmospheric Menu Theme
  • Master Hand in the opening
  • More energetic audience cries
  • Personalized Break The Targets + Board The Platforms
  • How To Play Music + Mario & Luigi demonstrating how to play
  • "Game Set" Phrase
  • Congratulations Screen Art
  • Soundtrack inspired by Smash 64
Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Menu SFX
  • Adventure Mode
  • Made from scratch trophies of obscure/forgotten Nintendo characters
  • Two original stages for most IPs
  • Unlockable characters from Japan Only games
  • Challenger Approaching Sequence
  • Debug Menu
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Boss Battles

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Super Smash Bros. 64
  • Jeffrey Manning (Announcer)
  • Atmospheric Menu Theme
  • Master Hand in the opening
  • More energetic audience cries
  • Personalized Break The Targets + Board The Platforms
  • How To Play Music + Mario & Luigi demonstrating how to play
  • "Game Set" Phrase
  • Congratulations Screen Art
  • Soundtrack inspired by Smash 64
Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Menu SFX
  • Adventure Mode
  • Made from scratch trophies of obscure/forgotten Nintendo characters
  • Two original stages for most IPs
  • Unlockable characters from Japan Only games
  • Challenger Approaching Sequence
  • Debug Menu
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Boss Battles
Ah yes, the debug menu. It alone makes Melee really fun.

Great! Glad to hear someone agrees with me too. Were you in the tournament or spectating?
I was in it...

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
  • Boss battle mode. Maybe have the order and bosses randomised, to stop it feeling samey?
  • Event matches (but using Wii U’s branching progression). Technically cheating on this one as it was in one half of Smash 4, but I wanted to call out that cool progression system.
  • Metal Mario stage. Would love to finally be able to play it in vs matches.
  • Coin lottery/launcher. I like the shop, and want it back, but also wouldn’t mind multiple ways to earn trophies this around.

Last edited:

Redrix

Smash Rookie
Since I've been a competitive player for Smash Bros. Brawl for 4 or 5 years, I am very used to the mechanics that this game offers. Thus, I would like to see again:

• Faster out of shield punishments that are not possible when you get hit on shield in Smash 4 due to the hit stun. In Brawl, you could punish faster out of shield.
  • Dash + instant shield whenever you want. In Smash 4 there are some characters, like Marth, that, once they dash/run, they cannot shield until they reach certain frames during that dashing, and I do believe that that supposes a huge disadvantage in terms of defensive mobility, so to speak.
  • Chaingrabs. People complain about chaingrabs, but, aren't the up-tilt and up-air strings/combos the same thing? Such is the case of Mario, or some Luigi combos, for instance.
  • A GOOD FALCO BLASTER, please, like in Melee and Brawl.
Those are the things I want to see again, yep.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
The audience gasping in awe whenever the characters take hits or recover onto the stage.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Series that aren't Mario, Pokemon and Zelda (and Kirby if we count both games) getting more than 1 new stage.

I feel that Mario is getting the lion's share of new stages and they're not all that different. We got 3 sidescrolling Mario stages on Smash 3DS for example.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Why you gotta be hatin' on Ivysaur man? Geez!
No hate, Ivysaur was just my least favorite of three, not a bad character but one I had no interest in. But that's not to say I would be against her coming back to Smash, if she makes it more power to the mains (unless they bring back the stamina mechanic then we're screwed).

By things, I mean music, stages, trophies, items, features, characters, anything really. What things would you like to see in Smash 5 that were not in Smash 4, but were in the games before?

For me, I would like to see returning retro trophies from Melee such as Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider, whose trophies were not in the games that followed for some reason. Also, I would like to see stage based trophies from Melee like Mute City.

Speaking of stages, I would like to see Peach's Castle from Melee and the Fountain of Dreams from the same game come back as stages in Smash 5. For music, there are lots of options, but I would personally like to hear this in the Battlefield stage.

I would also like to see Board the Platforms come back.

What about you guys? What things from past games not in Smash 4 would you like to see in Smash 5?
As soon as I saw the thread title this song was the only thing I wanted. This song is so dope.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
  • Dash + instant shield whenever you want. In Smash 4 there are some characters, like Marth, that, once they dash/run, they cannot shield until they reach certain frames during that dashing, and I do believe that that supposes a huge disadvantage in terms of defensive mobility, so to speak.
Every character has had this "initial dash" in varying lag times, whether it was Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, and probably 64. Continuing your example, Marth has had to wait 17 frames before he can shield in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. There is no difference.

Last edited:

Platty

Smash Rookie
Ice climbers and possibly a nerfed form of wobbling.
Have you ever played the Balance Brawl mod? They had an interesting take on the ICs where tilts would cause Nana to perform a different attack that (usually) combo'd from Popo. And if Nana got a grab, she would automatically up throw with a different knock back that would set up for a combo or juggle.

Vilain

Smash Cadet
- Wavedashing
- Less landing lag (not especially L-cancel)
- Edgehogging
- More punishable rolls and air dodges
- Ice Climbers, and of course...
- ... WOBBLING ;)
- Unique "break the targets" for each character
- No blast zone mode and turbo mode from Project M... just kidding

WiserThanYou

Smash Cadet
- Either a sequel to Subspace or an entirely new Adventure Mode
- Break the Targets
- More unlockable characters. I hated how easy it was to have the entire roster in Smash 4

But most of all I want offline tournaments back. Why they got rid of it is beyond me.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
- Either a sequel to Subspace or an entirely new Adventure Mode
- Break the Targets
- More unlockable characters. I hated how easy it was to have the entire roster in Smash 4

But most of all I want offline tournaments back. Why they got rid of it is beyond me.
I'm with you on that

It was way to easy to unlock everybody that time around and that's the biggest factor of why smash is so playable smash invented do a task then defeat the character to unlock them

Make more unlockable characters (and everything else) and make it harder so the play amount is longer

And excluding offline tourney mode was the most idiotic mistake they made by far

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Probably mentioned already, but a custom made intro.

This one will slide for a story mode though.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
A story mode, unique break the targets for every character, and Melee's Race to the Finish are what I want most.

Oh, and I may be alone in this, but I really liked Melee's lottery for trophies, so I'd like to see that return too

Ciro Blanco

Smash Cadet
Specific Break the Targets for each character.

Melee
Directional Air Dodge (pressing shield button and direction at the same time, like Smash attacks)
(not necessarily for wavedash)
Fountain of Dream
Pokemon Stadium
Original cool opening intro like Melee
Raikou, Zapdos, Articuno and Ho-oh for Pokéballs.

Brawl
Break the Targets lvl 1 for all character plus one unique like 64/melee
A mix of Brawl and SM4SH Custom Stage Builder + more features.
Subspace 2.0 and Boss Rush.
Smashville

Smash 4
Ledge Mechanic
Smash Run
Custom Moves
Trophy rush

Zeox

Smash Champion
A story mode with stages, bosses, weird friendships between characters from different games.
I mean, before I ever played any mother games, the story mode of brawl made me knew and care more about those characters that if there was none.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I 100% want Melee's Target Smash, Brawl ruined Target Smash a lot for me

Although I would also like to see the Red Shell come back

Wazzup, ******? Just posting an updated wishlist.

(Also, wow, a LOT of stuff I wanted was confirmed! That alone warms my heart)

Smash 64
-The rest of the stages from this game
-Epic taunt cancelling like in this game.
-Meta Crystal as a stage. Plz give me this fanservice.
-Board the Platforms
-Donkey Kong's forward tilt
-Mario's slightly slower attacking speed and slightly greater power

Melee
-Return of Adventure Mode
-Race to the Finish (Melee version)
-WALL GRAPPLING
-Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Big Blue, Fourside and Mute City
-Collect the trophies minigame
-Red Shell
-A lot of stuff that characters had in this game (ex: Ganondorf, Falcon, Samus, Luigi, Dr Mario, Jigglypuff etc)
-Wavedashing maybe? (not necessary)

Brawl
-DACUS
-Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake (even if that last one is impossible. Or rather, WAS impossible, lol)
-Rumble Falls, Frigate Orpheon, and New Pork City (for casual games). Also, I would kinda like to see some of the Battlegrounds from the Subspace Emissary appear as stages (well, not quite exactly as they were, just the basic layout is fine)
-Coin Launcher
-Mr Game and Watch as he was here (except for that jank-ass bucket braking)
-Diddy Kong's forward aerial

General/Stuff from Multiple Games/Stuff I didn't quite feel would fit in the other categories
-The version of Target Test seen in Melee and Smash 64 (one different stage for everyone. Due to amount of characters at present, may be really hard, but a man can dream)
-Tournament mode from Brawl, with some changes (Merge it with Rotation, and allow 64 slots like Melee's Tournament Mode)
-Give the game a slightly faster movement speed, like Melee (not quite to the same level, so fellow fans of Smash 4's gameplay won't feel too alienated)
-Maybe make the hitsun in between what it is now and Smash 64, not too far in either direction
-Add a toggle for Battlefield and Final Destination that will allow you to play all of their previous designs
-Redesigned Classic that's a merging of all 4 games thus far. I have no idea how this would happen, I'll think of some ideas later.
-More bosses than just Master Hand and Crazy Hand and the Core. Somewhat related...

A full-fledged epic like the Subspace Emissary. I loved the mode as it was in Brawl, and I feel it added a bit more personality to the game as a whole, and I would gladly buy this game for something like that alone. I just hope that they keep the cutscenes in, and that some locations from the character's home series are blended in with the original locations (and a bit more dialogue, maybe?) Other than that, I have no real complaints. I have some ideas (that I'll save off until we see what the roster is like)

Last edited:
Top Bottom